The 2015 draft class, so far.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
scouts predict stuff all the time and they're wrong. When Perry has been healthy he has been an important piece to this defense. His weakness is he's always injured and you can't account for that reliably. When he's in, he sets and edge and can push linemen back into the QB's face. Those guys are important pieces because they don't allow for escape lanes and keep squeezing the pocket.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said most.. I am absolutely aware that some players are talented enough to make the transition. But scouts predicted Perry might not transition well because of his weaknesses, and that's what we're seeing. It's completely reasonable to say that many can't make the transition because they likely don't possess that lateral agility, because that really wasn't required to succeed at what they were used to doing.

And Datone was scouted as playing much better from the outside in a 4-3 than inside, and he certainly doesn't seem the type to succeed as an LB. So that was a bad use of the first-round pick.

I agree that he does a good job through the draft, but Seattle has built an even stronger contender, and many of their great players came after the 1st Round. They are a young team, and Rodgers is getting older, so I feel like we need to raise the bar a little. The defense has felt like an unfinished product for years, during which time Seattle has drafting at a much higher level than TT.

Not sure what point you're trying to make with Perry. Yes, he hasn't worked out, but all it means his he couldn't make the transition. TT should continue to Lin for DEs to fill OLB.

Regarding Datone, he's drafted to be DE, not a LB. He has played LB at times, but mostly DE. He is also playing well this season.

I'll agree Seattle has done a great job at finding low round studs lately.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what point you're trying to make with Perry. Yes, he hasn't worked out, but all it means his he couldn't make the transition. TT should continue to Lin for DEs to fill OLB.

Regarding Datone, he's drafted to be DE, not a LB. He has played LB at times, but mostly DE. He is also playing well this season.

Let's be honest, Jones and Perry have their moments, but they have been major disappointments and haven't really filled any holes due to their inconsistency. Even when Perry has been healthy, he's been an average player.

Everyone eventually has a good moment, and if you judge a player based on these and completely ignore the bad ones, then every single player in the league should receive accolades.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I look at where to clear up cap/roster space to bring in different players, guys like Perry and Neal are near the top of my list. Too many injuries, too much inconsistency, and after 4 years it's not gonna get suddenly much better. They're guys who make flash plays or have a solid game here and there, but again, disappear too much.
IMO, we have too many guys like that.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhat off the subject, but I'm just musing about something that has little chance of happening.

Let's suppose Alshon Jeffrey becomes FA. Let's forget about TT for a moment and his gag-reaction to anything FA. Would he be worth pursuing?

He is young, he is a legitimate deep threat, he would look a helluva lot better opposite Jordy Nelson than Davante Adams would, he is coming off an injury but he has been reasonably durable.

I know you're gonna say No but. . .
Obviously, that would be great for us. It might be worth it just to keep him off the Bears, especially if that rookie receiver lives up to his potential once he gets healthy. I'd hate for our corners to have to try to cover both of those guys. He also seems like he has the kind of temperament TT admires in his players, so those two factors give me some hope for this happening.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, that would be great for us. It might be worth it just to keep him off the Bears, especially if that rookie receiver lives up to his potential once he gets healthy. I'd hate for our corners to have to try to cover both of those guys. He also seems like he has the kind of temperament TT admires in his players, so those two factors give me some hope for this happening.

I'd like it, but I can't see the Bears letting it happen. They've invested too much in building a strong receiving unit to just let them walk away.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I know TT has made good picks, but so has every other GM. I really would like to see where he has filled a need before it became a need as some people on here have claimed, because injuries seem to absolutely devastate this team.
Two points: 1. Some GMs actually have crap drafts and lose their jobs because of it. If you think Thompson is like every other GM, do you know of any observer of the NFL (former GMs, HCs, journalists) or a poll of his peers that agree with that idea? 2. Look at the 2010 season to see examples of Thompson filling needs before they become a need: The team finished the season with 15 players on IR and the Lombardi trophy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never seen any comments or polls such as TJV mentions that had TT outside the top 5 among GM's.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhat off the subject, but I'm just musing about something that has little chance of happening.

Let's suppose Alshon Jeffrey becomes FA. Let's forget about TT for a moment and his gag-reaction to anything FA. Would he be worth pursuing?

He is young, he is a legitimate deep threat, he would look a helluva lot better opposite Jordy Nelson than Davante Adams would, he is coming off an injury but he has been reasonably durable.

I know you're gonna say No but. . .

I'd be all for considering him but I seriously doubt the Bears let him get that far. There is a good chance they let Forte test the waters and a good chance he will be gone and after Cutler finally having a decent year they would be foolish to let their only proven WR slip away

I don't doubt what you are saying on Adams is true. But if you go back and look at the scouting reports, most had Adams equal to or slightly above guys like Robinson, Landry, and Martavis. Some even had Adams sneaking into the 1st. They said he had a safe floor but still good upside.

Has he panned out, not so far, and it's disappointing, but it's not like TT passed up on an obviously more talented WR to take Adams.

Don't forget, a lot of people were fawning over Adams going into this year. Its not like he is 0 for 2 in his first 2 years. He did pretty well for a rookie #3 WR .

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You understand that is behind Blaine Gabbert (Jags) and Alex Smith (Chiefs) right... I don't know about you, but I don't think 1st or 2nd best quarterback in the league should be in the 12th spot ever.

Also not sure when being 12th was ever an accomplishment.

You understand that it's ahead of 20 other NFL teams, right?

My point was that having a great QB makes the entire offense better. There is no comparable position on defense. There is no arguing that fact. There is no position on defense that has total control of the game and what happens like the QB does.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The season averages mean nothing when we suck against the Denvers and Carolinas. And I'm not sure how the injuries are supposed to be reassuring.

If you'd read what I was responding to, I was pointing out that the QB can make the entire offense better while there is no position that does the same on defense...so injuries on offense and the Packers continuing to be good on offense (I think people misunderstand "good", the Packers are not one of the best but they are better than average) would support that contention.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The difference with Perry being that he was actually projected to play 4-3 DE by many. He wasn't a too small 4-3 DE moving to linebacker...he was a 270lb 4-3DE moving to linebacker.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference with Perry being that he was actually projected to play 4-3 DE by many. He wasn't a too small 4-3 DE moving to linebacker...he was a 270lb 4-3DE moving to linebacker.

I'll agree Perry didn't work out. My point was it was not simply due to him being a DE switching to LB though since that transition is made successfully all the time

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree Perry didn't work out. My point was it was not simply due to him being a DE switching to LB though since that transition is made successfully all the time

I agree. I was simply pointing out that Perry was kind of the exact opposite from the normal switch. Normally the switch is made because the college DE isn't big enough to play DE in the NFL, that wasn't the issue with Perry.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the original topic, I don't think that there are any picks in this year's class that are obvious busts, like Goodson last year. Most of the picks have contributed in some fashion except for Backman and Ringo. Those guys just seem like they need time on the shelf to develop.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Back to the original topic, I don't think that there are any picks in this year's class that are obvious busts, like Goodson last year. Most of the picks have contributed in some fashion except for Backman and Ringo. Those guys just seem like they need time on the shelf to develop.
I agree about this years drafts but I'm not sure what you mean about Goodson. I don't think you mean at the time he was drafted he looked like a bust since he was an athletic 6th rounder. And in hindsight Goodson has played in 12 games this year while Bradford is on the PS and Thornton didn't make the final roster cuts this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I should have stated more clearly that I was speaking about at this point last year. I think that general consensus at this point last year was that Goodson, while athletic, should have been cut in favor of Jumal Rolle. Most still had hopes for Thornton and Bradford which obviously faded during camp this year.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on the draft class as we continue in the post season

1. Randall - Love this kid. Think he has the potential to start for a long time in the league.
2. Rollins - Great upside but is ahead of where I thought he would be with limited experience
3. Montgomery - looked really good. If he is able to play through the season he would have been one of the top 5 rookie wrs in this class (albeit it was a weak class)
4. Jake Ryan - Has come on late in the season. I really like him but I dont know if he can grow into a 3 down linebacker. Against teams with rbs who are receiving threats he is currently a liability.
5. Hundley - I think he will be one of the best qbs of this draft. He looked like the real deal
Rip, Ringo, Backman - not sure what to think of these guys

I see 4 guys who will start or play starter reps (Montgomery) which is pretty solid. Still wish would could have gotten a te who could stretch the field.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quentin Rollins had the lowest qb rating against of any rookie db at just 58.4. They didnt say where Randle was at on the list.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/01/22/packers-rollins-was-nfl-stingiest-rookie-cb-in-2015.html

Which is amazing considering he only played one year of football in school. I loved him coming out and think the kids going to be special and the best pick in our draft class once he starts learning better technique and not just solely relying on his instincts which is saying something with how good Randell was his rookie year