The 2015 draft class, so far.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, give us some, go get the highlights, point them out and post them right here. talk about explosive, Adams had 10 less catches and about 100 less yards but averaged double the yards per catch and caught more TD's than Robinson their rookie year, but again, you clearly knew the difference between the 2 and of course knew that Jordy and Cobb were just chumps with shoulder pads.

Robinson:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Adams:

Also keep in mind, Adams played in the Mountain West conference, which is pretty terrible, while Robinson was in the Big 10.

And are you really comparing the stats of a receiver on an established offense with a top QB to that of one on a terrible team with a rookie QB?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
specifically note around 6 minutes. Clearly a guy that can't play in the NFL. Clearly can't go get a ball. Clearly can't run after the catch. Clearly can't be explosive, and is clear he can't play behind those chumps in Jordy Nelson and Cobb. Ted Thompson was an idiot for not forgoing Ha-Ha, Randall and Rollins in order to get us an NFL caliber WR on this team.

yeah, I compared stats. There's pro's and con's to playing behind 2 clearly established (albeit chumps in need up upgrades) receivers on a good team. Just as there's a liklihood you're going to see many more opportunities on a bad team without those clear targets already entrenched. Like having 20 more targets to make those plays.

But even those perfect drafters who just KNEW with certainty Robinson would blossom his second year, picked someone else before him at the same position in the same draft, in the same round. If only everyone had your foresight.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand the premise of your point I think you have exaggerated the point to a level that is a little far out there. I don't believe I ever suggested that the Packers should maintain a team of Pro Bowl caliber players.

I'm simply stating it is similar to the problem we had at running back for years... Using 4th 5th round and a smorgasbord of others to fill the spot until finally settling on someone with some know talent and upside.

It's obviously unfeasible to get a pro-bowl lineup all the way around. But maybe instead of adding 5 receivers that have little upside, drafting just in the first or second round of the coming years or even trading up for a game changer. One with the 4.4 speed, jumping ability wouldn't be a bad option.

I think that the fact that they drafted Davante Adams in the 2nd is a pretty good indication that they expect (ed?) him to be a big part of this offense.

All of our top 3 receivers when healthy were 2nd round picks. Jordy was a very early 2nd. Jones was even a 3rd rounder when we originally drafted him. Everyone besides Janis and Abby on this roster was taken in the first 3 rounds, I think they've made every effort to get high quality talent at WR in the draft.

If you're asking why we haven't gotten a Julio, Dez, Beckham type talent; well, it's usually tough to find those guys in the late 20s in the 1st.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
specifically note around 6 minutes. Clearly a guy that can't play in the NFL. Clearly can't go get a ball. Clearly can't run after the catch. Clearly can't be explosive, and is clear he can't play behind those chumps in Jordy Nelson and Cobb. Ted Thompson was an idiot for not forgoing Ha-Ha, Randall and Rollins in order to get us an NFL caliber WR on this team.

yeah, I compared stats. There's pro's and con's to playing behind 2 clearly established (albeit chumps in need up upgrades) receivers on a good team. Just as there's a liklihood you're going to see many more opportunities on a bad team without those clear targets already entrenched. Like having 20 more targets to make those plays.

But even those perfect drafters who just KNEW with certainty Robinson would blossom his second year, picked someone else before him at the same position in the same draft, in the same round. If only everyone had your foresight.

I'd have gone with Robinson because of the better size, explosiveness, and having proved that his athleticism is effective against talented teams like OSU.

If Adams were bigger and faster, it might be different because of the higher ceiling he has. But since he doesn't, I don't understand the pick. I'm not saying I knew Robinson would be this good, but I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt over Adams. And I was never high on Adams, but I don't know what to provide as support other than texts to my friend that expressed my disapproval with the pick.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How about this for next year: Create a thread in which everyone can post the one player they would have chosen instead of the player Thompson picked? No trades allowed, you have to pick in the spot Thompson did even if it was the result of a trade. And you have to post your pick within (something like) 30 minutes after the pick so you don't have the benefit of hindsight - who was available later, etc. That would be one hellofa lot more impressive than the month's late hindsight IMO.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this for next year: Create a thread in which everyone can post the one player they would have chosen instead of the player Thompson picked? No trades allowed, you have to pick in the spot Thompson did even if it was the result of a trade. And you have to post your pick within (something like) 30 minutes after the pick so you don't have the benefit of hindsight - who was available later, etc. That would be one hellofa lot more impressive than the month's late hindsight IMO.
I like it. But I was verbal on here about not caring much for Adams even before he started dropping everything in sight.

The only problem is that myself and presumably most of the people on the board don't have the time to look into every single prospect. At this point, all we can really do is use hindsight, though combined with common sense rather than a crystal ball. But it would be a fun experiment.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. But I was verbal on here about not caring much for Adams even before he started dropping everything in sight.

The only problem is that myself and presumably most of the people on the board don't have the time to look into every single prospect. At this point, all we can really do is use hindsight, though combined with common sense rather than a crystal ball. But it would be a fun experiment.

I don't doubt what you are saying on Adams is true. But if you go back and look at the scouting reports, most had Adams equal to or slightly above guys like Robinson, Landry, and Martavis. Some even had Adams sneaking into the 1st. They said he had a safe floor but still good upside.

Has he panned out, not so far, and it's disappointing, but it's not like TT passed up on an obviously more talented WR to take Adams.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This sounds like a lot of fun, I'm in...

Though I do want to make it clear my point isn't consisting of hindsight. It's more looking to the future and the fact that we have been unsuccessfully 100 percent of the time when drafting out of the 3rd round for receiver. Perhaps a different position in those rounds would be better off? Or maybe even giving up more of those in order to get an extra second or third.

I know that is not our philosophy in general. But I think an argument can be made that 1 valuable person is worth more than 4 people that never see the field.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds like a lot of fun, I'm in...

Though I do want to make it clear my point isn't consisting of hindsight. It's more looking to the future and the fact that we have been unsuccessfully 100 percent of the time when drafting out of the 3rd round for receiver. Perhaps a different position in those rounds would be better off? Or maybe even giving up more of those in order to get an extra second or third.

I know that is not our philosophy in general. But I think an argument can be made that 1 valuable person is worth more than 4 people that never see the field.

This.

Reaction score
I'm glad we went all in this year in the secondary. In hindsight I might've kept the better bargain between House and Tramon, but I obviously don't know what kinda $$ that would've entailed.
I was surprised we didn't get an Offensive Lineman by the middle rounds and I actually hypothesized a 1st or 2nd day surprise that majored at the Tackle position and minored at Guard. I was mostly predicting because it's such an injury prone position and we lucked out injury wise overall on the OL in 2014. Also we had average nearly 2 draft selections On the line over consecutive prior years but only grabbed 1 Center position in 2014. a 20 million dollar a year investment seems prudent to insure.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we went all in this year in the secondary. In hindsight I might've kept the better bargain between House and Tramon, but I obviously don't know what kinda $$ that would've entailed.
I was surprised we didn't get an Offensive Lineman by the middle rounds and I actually hypothesized a 1st or 2nd day surprise that majored at the Tackle position and minored at Guard. I was mostly predicting because it's such an injury prone position and we lucked out injury wise overall on the OL in 2014. Also we had average nearly 2 draft selections On the line over consecutive prior years but only grabbed 1 Center position in 2014. a 20 million dollar a year investment seems prudent to insure.

1oo% on board with letting House and Tramon go. Two ascending DB's drafted in exchange for letting go a has been and a never will be. And much, much cheaper.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't doubt what you are saying on Adams is true. But if you go back and look at the scouting reports, most had Adams equal to or slightly above guys like Robinson, Landry, and Martavis. Some even had Adams sneaking into the 1st. They said he had a safe floor but still good upside.

Has he panned out, not so far, and it's disappointing, but it's not like TT passed up on an obviously more talented WR to take Adams.
I understand that. I just think that since Thompson makes much more money than we do, he should be a much better talent evaluator than we are. And if he wants to rely on the draft for 99% of the team, we should hold him responsible for every pick he makes. The people making these scouting reports likely don't make near that dough, so they can be given a pass when they screw up.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that. I just think that since Thompson makes much more money than we do, he should be a much better talent evaluator than we are. And if he wants to rely on the draft for 99% of the team, we should hold him responsible for every pick he makes. The people making these scouting reports likely don't make near that dough, so they can be given a pass when they screw up.

Sure. Just know every GM makes those exact mistakes, so if the bar is perfection it's an impossible one to reach. Every offense would be much better with Antonio Brown, but every GM in the NFL passed on him -- multiple times.

It's just much easier to remember the times a mistake was made than remember the times a mistake was avoided, such as drafting Jordy Nelson over James Hardy in 2008...or on the other side, drafting Donnie Avery or Devin Thomas right before Nelson, as the Rams and Redskins did.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The only problem is that myself and presumably most of the people on the board don't have the time to look into every single prospect. At this point, all we can really do is use hindsight, though combined with common sense rather than a crystal ball.
Just so you all know, I probably wouldn’t participate in second guessing Thompson’s pick for the reasons you point out. Beyond not having the time, I am not a draftnik (not that there’s anything wrong with that) so even if I had the time, I wouldn’t. So it’s easy for me not to be overly judgmental of Thompson’s picks at the time they’re made. For those like me, if all we can use is hindsight evaluations I think an element of humility should accompany that evaluation. As adambr2 points out, it’s not as if Thompson passed up an obviously more talented WR to take Adams. IMO Thompson and his staff deserve to be criticized for bad drafts, but regarding individual picks unless they pass up an obvious pick for an obscure one recognizing it’s only hindsight that proves them wrong should be taken into consideration. I made the suggestion for a thread for those who pay closer attention and for those who think Thompson is making an obvious mistake in real time.
I’m not sure what you are getting at regarding WRs in the third round: Since Thompson has been GM, the Packers have only picked two WRs in the third round, Jones and Montgomery. You previously counted Jones as one of four who have made a real impact and Montgomery as having time to see what happens.
Of course one valuable player is worth more than four who never play and you could even say one star is worth more than four average players. But the reason putting that into practice isn’t Thompson’s philosophy is because the draft is not a scientific venture where you know for certain trading away your first and second (and maybe third) round picks to move up in the draft gets you a sure star. You may in fact strike out, even with a top 5 pick and then you will have eviscerated the top of your draft for no return. (This is why I wish Thompson would use UFA more – even if you question whether or not a vet on another team can meld with the Packers locker room and scheme, you know he’s NFL-ready and the kind of performance you can expect. But that’s another topic.) That’s why Thompson has traded down much more often than up, particularly when he was building the roster early, because even spending thousands of man hours and millions(?) of dollars on the draft it still is in the end a crap shoot. In Thompson’s view it’s better to keep those 4 picks to increase your odds of getting that one difference maker.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly this thread illustrates how insanely high of a standard people have for TT when it comes to the draft.

Randell- Starter and looking like a good one

Rollins- Loved the pick at the time (still do) and he's looking like the nickel back after this season until they decide to let Shields go.

(2 picks in and you allready got your future starting CB duo)

Montgomery- Looked good before the injury, in fact much better then I expected, and looks like a guy who will be a big part of the offence in the future.

Ryan- Just got inserted in the starting lineup. Hasn't made too many splash play but also hasn't messes up big time either so I'd call that a win.

Hundley- Looked great in preseason. Definitely an asset going forward

Ripkowski- I think most would agree he stands a good chance of being the starting FB next season

Ringo- Well all it took was getting to the 6th round to find a guy who might not have a significant part of the teams future.

Backman- I think the kids got some talent just a lil raw but won't argue if people disagree so we'll just say a "meh" pick.

So let's see. 8 draft picks. 4 either are or are projected to be quality starters in Randell, Rollins, Ryan and Ripkowski. Another looks like a #3 or 4 WR getting major burn in the future in Montgomery and another is a QB that we can potentially flip in a few years after getting a few quality backup years out of him. The only 2 "bad" picks you could even argue are Ringo and Backman. (2 6th round picks that could still develop)

Good lord the standard is high for some people

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly this thread illustrates how insanely high of a standard people have for TT when it comes to the draft.

Randell- Starter and looking like a good one

Rollins- Loved the pick at the time (still do) and he's looking like the nickel back after this season until they decide to let Shields go.

(2 picks in and you allready got your future starting CB duo)

Montgomery- Looked good before the injury, in fact much better then I expected, and looks like a guy who will be a big part of the offence in the future.

Ryan- Just got inserted in the starting lineup. Hasn't made too many splash play but also hasn't messes up big time either so I'd call that a win.

Hundley- Looked great in preseason. Definitely an asset going forward

Ripkowski- I think most would agree he stands a good chance of being the starting FB next season

Ringo- Well all it took was getting to the 6th round to find a guy who might not have a significant part of the teams future.

Backman- I think the kids got some talent just a lil raw but won't argue if people disagree so we'll just say a "meh" pick.

So let's see. 8 draft picks. 4 either are or are projected to be quality starters in Randell, Rollins, Ryan and Ripkowski. Another looks like a #3 or 4 WR getting major burn in the future in Montgomery and another is a QB that we can potentially flip in a few years after getting a few quality backup years out of him. The only 2 "bad" picks you could even argue are Ringo and Backman. (2 6th round picks that could still develop)

Good lord the standard is high for some people
My analysis that it was not a good draft was based around them spending draft picks on a FB and backup QB. To me, this is them saying that they are absolutely set at every single position. I would have rather them get some depth at the weaker positions so they could have more people push for playing time.

The secondary looks improved, and I'd say the acquisitions in the secondary are a factor. Good going there. I would not say Rollins could be a starting #1 or #2 corner without some help because he is not very fast, but I could actually see him as a good starting safety.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
LBs are pretty exceptional athletes. When I think of the top ones in the league, I'm thinking pretty high draft picks-Von Miller, Keuchley, the beasts in SF, Matthews, Mack, etc.- These guys hardly go under the radar. You'll see them slip in the draft sometimes, but the size/athleticism combo is rare and tough for scouts to ignore.

For this reason, I think rarely will you find a knockout starter at this position in the draft in the 4th round.
The local high school here is The Red Land Patriots.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My analysis that it was not a good draft was based around them spending draft picks on a FB and backup QB. To me, this is them saying that they are absolutely set at every single position. I would have rather them get some depth at the weaker positions so they could have more people push for playing time.

The secondary looks improved, and I'd say the acquisitions in the secondary are a factor. Good going there. I would not say Rollins could be a starting #1 or #2 corner without some help because he is not very fast, but I could actually see him as a good starting safety.

You seem to not understand how the Packers draft.

It's not at all saying they are set at every position when they pick a non-need position. It's saying they had Hundley and Ripkowski as the most value regarding talent at their draft positions. The Packers would and should not pick less talented players because of a need.

If you call it not a good draft due to having two picks not a need postions, you could probably use the same analysis to call every draft class the Packers have had bad. No class ever has all picks at need positions.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Calling a draft crap because you disagree with how picks #166, #206, and #247 (end of the fifth round to the end of the sixth) were used seems like an overreaction to me.
It's saying they had Hundley and Ripkowski as the most value regarding talent at their draft positions.
Yes. I too was disappointed with the Hundley pick because I didn’t think he’d take Tolzien’s spot this season and I thought it was too early to be looking for Rodgers’ replacement (which of course would be a remarkable feat in the 5th round). But what if the Packers had him rated as a third round pick? I took a look at the NFL draft tracker ratings and of course the top two QBs had much higher ratings than the rest at 6.7 and 6.2. Then there’s a group of four rated 5.24 to 5.4 (I’m using these ratings just as an example). The third QB taken at pick 11 of the third round was Garrett Grayson. His grade was 5.38. Hundley’s was 5.35. If the Packers rating of the QBs was similar I can see them thinking Hundley was just too great a value to pass up in exchange for the 30th pick of the fifth round (#166) and the 30th pick of the seventh round (#247). IOW, they could have seen him at pick #147 as the lone player available from a higher talent tier at the most important position in football. And I don't remember a Packers rookie QB having a better preseason debut.

I was fine with the Ripkowski pick – at #206 in the sixth round they got a player who could take over for Kuhn – even with the lack of value generally assigned by the league for FBs, that pick looks like a good value to me.

The 1995 draft that was instrumental in getting the Packers to the Super Bowl under Wolf. He drafted Newsome, Holland, Henderson, Brian Williams and Freeman. But in the 4th round he drafted T Jeff Miller, in the 5th QB Jay Barker and WR Charlie Simmons. Still a great draft. In what I consider the greatest draft in Packers history, Vainisi picked LB Dan Currie, FB Jim Taylor, LB Ray Nitschke, and OG Jerry Kramer. Two HOFers (and should be three). But they missed on picks #51, #75, #86, #99, #110, #123 etc. Obviously a different time in the league but the concept is the same.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem to not understand how the Packers draft.

It's not at all saying they are set at every position when they pick a non-need position. It's saying they had Hundley and Ripkowski as the most value regarding talent at their draft positions. The Packers would and should not pick less talented players because of a need.

If you call it not a good draft due to having two picks not a need postions, you could probably use the same analysis to call every draft class the Packers have had bad. No class ever has all picks at need positions.
Calling the draft crap was an overreaction, but I certainly don't put much stock into TT's drafting philosophy. I'm sure he has a good plan, but that doesn't exactly translate into good picks on draft day, especially on the defensive side...He just can't seem to comprehend that most 4-3 DEs do not make good 3-4 DEs OR linebackers. He drafted a LB who looks like he might be able to get the job done, but he still has the weaknesses that the DE converts had...average lateral quickness, could be troublesome for pass coverage and running sideline to sideline.

I know TT has made good picks, but so has every other GM. I really would like to see where he has filled a need before it became a need as some people on here have claimed, because injuries seem to absolutely devastate this team.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling the draft crap was an overreaction, but I certainly don't put much stock into TT's drafting philosophy. I'm sure he has a good plan, but that doesn't exactly translate into good picks on draft day, especially on the defensive side...He just can't seem to comprehend that most 4-3 DEs do not make good 3-4 DEs OR linebackers. He drafted a LB who looks like he might be able to get the job done, but he still has the weaknesses that the DE converts had...average lateral quickness, could be troublesome for pass coverage and running sideline to sideline.

I know TT has made good picks, but so has every other GM. I really would like to see where he has filled a need before it became a need as some people on here have claimed, because injuries seem to absolutely devastate this team.

"He just can't seem to comprehend that most 4-3 DEs donot make good 3-4 DEs OR linebackers."

Former college or NFL defensive lineman who have become good 3-4 linebackers:
Pernell McPhee
Terrell Suggs
Julius Peppers
Ryan Kerrigan
Jason Babin
Brandon Graham
Elvis Dumervil
Tamba Hali
Derrick Morgan
Arther Moats

Those are 10 of the top 15 3-4 outside linebackers in 2014 according to Bleacher Report. Basically, two third of the top 3-4 OLBs in 2014 were defensive lineman.

Playing a 3-4 gives teams like the Packers a much larger pool of players to pick from.

You could not be more incorrect by saying 4-3 DEs do not become good 3-4 linebackers.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhat off the subject, but I'm just musing about something that has little chance of happening.

Let's suppose Alshon Jeffrey becomes FA. Let's forget about TT for a moment and his gag-reaction to anything FA. Would he be worth pursuing?

He is young, he is a legitimate deep threat, he would look a helluva lot better opposite Jordy Nelson than Davante Adams would, he is coming off an injury but he has been reasonably durable.

I know you're gonna say No but. . .

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Regarding TTs overall philosophy,
it's pretty common knowledge that picking for value over need is the way to go and we can just agree to disagree on that.

The Packers have been a contender nearly every year under TT using a team built almost entitly through the draft.

It's fair to question TT for not using free agency more, but there's no doubt he drafts well overall; especially considering he's always picking near the end of rounds.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He just can't seem to comprehend that most 4-3 DEs donot make good 3-4 DEs OR linebackers."

Former college or NFL defensive lineman who have become good 3-4 linebackers:
Pernell McPhee
Terrell Suggs
Julius Peppers
Ryan Kerrigan
Jason Babin
Brandon Graham
Elvis Dumervil
Tamba Hali
Derrick Morgan
Arther Moats

Those are 10 of the top 15 3-4 outside linebackers in 2014 according to Bleacher Report. Basically, two third of the top 3-4 OLBs in 2014 were defensive lineman.

Playing a 3-4 gives teams like the Packers a much larger pool of players to pick from.

You could not be more incorrect by saying 4-3 DEs do not become good 3-4 linebackers.
I said most.. I am absolutely aware that some players are talented enough to make the transition. But scouts predicted Perry might not transition well because of his weaknesses, and that's what we're seeing. It's completely reasonable to say that many can't make the transition because they likely don't possess that lateral agility, because that really wasn't required to succeed at what they were used to doing.

And Datone was scouted as playing much better from the outside in a 4-3 than inside, and he certainly doesn't seem the type to succeed as an LB. So that was a bad use of the first-round pick.
Regarding TTs overall philosophy,
it's pretty common knowledge that picking for value over need is the way to go and we can just agree to disagree on that.

The Packers have been a contender nearly every year under TT using a team built almost entitly through the draft.

It's fair to question TT for not using free agency more, but there's no doubt he drafts well overall; especially considering he's always picking near the end of rounds.
I agree that he does a good job through the draft, but Seattle has built an even stronger contender, and many of their great players came after the 1st Round. They are a young team, and Rodgers is getting older, so I feel like we need to raise the bar a little. The defense has felt like an unfinished product for years, during which time Seattle has drafting at a much higher level than TT.

Members online

Latest posts