Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly is it you disagree with? You think what you posted is the best , be all end all way to decide which team is better than another?
That is not cherrypicking in the least, that has to be the dumbest way I've heard it used.
No, that was using another example of the point you were making. For a guy who isn't making one damn bit of sense, you sure like calling other people stupid. :D

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what's stupid. Cherry picking one game and holding up the score as proof of your point.
By that 'logic', the Vikings of Lombardi's time were every bit as good as Lombardi's packers since they split with them in '64, '66 and '67.

That is not cherrypicking in the least, that has to be the dumbest way I've heard it used.
I'm not a mod but I hope to either have excess time on my hands someday OR become a lot more tolerant of others than I currently am and will someday earn the right to become a mod. I like both of you, in a behind-the-screen, extremely manly kind of way... can you agree to disagree and return to bashing TT?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:laugh:
I'm not a mod but I hope to either have excess time on my hands someday OR become a lot more tolerant of others than I currently am and will someday earn the right to become a mod. I like both of you, in a behind-the-screen, extremely manly kind of way... can you agree to disagree and return to bashing TT?
LOL, works for me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I would think that idea has been floated numerous times because
A) value. A QB projected to go 1 or 2 overall slides to 24
B) that TT was trying to trade the pick.

Wait what? I'm a little confused.

I asked why Rodgers slid to 24 if he was really regarded as a top end, "can't miss" prospect and you're saying that it was because of value or that TT was trying to trade the pick? I don't see the connection.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:D
Wait what? I'm a little confused.

I asked why Rodgers slid to 24 if he was really regarded as a top end, "can't miss" prospect and you're saying that it was because of value or that TT was trying to trade the pick? I don't see the connection.

That would be as to why Thompson picked him; the critiques are "then why was he trying to trade the pick?"
Sorry, sometimes I don't type too clearly; I'm much better in person.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Attachments

• roflmao[1].png
    roflmao[1].png
    893 bytes · Views: 98

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wake up everyday hoping to see the following on NFL.com: "Ted Thompson retires as Packers General Manager."

The above may sound harsh. Yet I'm probably not the only one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just getting this off my chest. While I understand most of the criticism laid on TT and I am one who has been critical of him as well, people who want to imply "TT got lucky picking AR and he was trying to trade the pick away" irks me. When that is brought up, it totally feels like someone desperate to twist facts to further discredit TT, by trying to take away one of his biggest accomplishments as GM.

Read up on the history of the draft room that day in 2005. TT knew Rodgers was free falling and began to ask the opinions of everyone in the Packer draft room if they would be on board selecting him if he continued to fall, they were. Of course TT was entertaining trade talks during the draft, I would imagine that is his MO for every draft and every round. Did TT trade that pick away? Did TT have to pick AR? Did the Packers need a QB at the time?

The only luck involved with TT picking AR in the draft was that the teams picking before him didn't. We as Packer fans are lucky TT was behind the controls that day, had he not been, I'm not so sure AR is a Packer today.

So carry on with your criticism of TT, but for this fan, I am grateful he drafted AR.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of us, even us diehard Negative Nellies, actually feel that way. The luck was in the freefall, the wisdom was in making the choice when lucky enough to be able to do so. The biggest criticism a lot of us hold for TT is not fully capitalizing on the wisdom.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think most of us, even us diehard Negative Nellies, actually feel that way. The luck was in the freefall, the wisdom was in making the choice when lucky enough to be able to do so. The biggest criticism a lot of us hold for TT is not fully capitalizing on the wisdom.

Agree, but you still have some who want to try and convince you that TT doesn't know what he is doing, even when it came to drafting Rodgers.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just getting this off my chest. While I understand most of the criticism laid on TT and I am one who has been critical of him as well, people who want to imply "TT got lucky picking AR and he was trying to trade the pick away" irks me. When that is brought up, it totally feels like someone desperate to twist facts to further discredit TT, by trying to take away one of his biggest accomplishments as GM.

Read up on the history of the draft room that day in 2005. TT knew Rodgers was free falling and began to ask the opinions of everyone in the Packer draft room if they would be on board selecting him if he continued to fall, they were. Of course TT was entertaining trade talks during the draft, I would imagine that is his MO for every draft and every round. Did TT trade that pick away? Did TT have to pick AR? Did the Packers need a QB at the time?

The only luck involved with TT picking AR in the draft was that the teams picking before him didn't. We as Packer fans are lucky TT was behind the controls that day, had he not been, I'm not so sure AR is a Packer today.

So carry on with your criticism of TT, but for this fan, I am grateful he drafted AR.

TT worked hard to find AR. Definitely give him props for that.

Still can't wait till hes out the door.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This I think is what I mean by the whole revisionist history problems and the propping up of straw men by people here. We got work to do to get over that last hump, no question. And Thompson does have to do better than the status quo to get there, and who knows ... prognostication that he won't could well be right. BUT ... trying to rewrite the 2005 draft and everything else emanating from there in his past accomplishments as not his work is just BS in my opinion. Same with turning a Seahawks team on the decline who got whooped by us and had less wins at the end of the day back into the 2013 machine, just ridiculous. There are right now just 2 teams who actually did better than us, and that's the Pats and Falcons.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dead horse, but yes, there were only a couple this year, and only a few the year before that and the year before that and...

Few, if any, are eventually going to look back at 2011-2016 and brag about the division titles and playoff runs. We save that sort of thing for Lombardis and (previous to that) NFL championships. Finishing short of the goal is painful, often times more so if one is 'this close'.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only luck involved with TT picking AR in the draft was that the teams picking before him didn't.
The thing I remember most about that pick was all the Bear fans and other haters laughing and ridiculing the Packers for making that pick. I was on a different board at that time (Usenet actually), and trolls on there were posting "HAD TO PICK HIM! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!". I bet they're not laughing so hard now.

Of course Ted gets credit for picking Rodgers. I think the one he got lucky on was Charles Woodson. If there had been a smidgeon more interest in him from other teams, we never would have got him. Ted still gets credit for realizing his value, but he never would have even sniffed him if the other GMs didn't shut off their brains on that one.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I remember most about that pick was all the Bear fans and other haters laughing and ridiculing the Packers for making that pick. I was on a different board at that time (Usenet actually), and trolls on there were posting "HAD TO PICK HIM! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!". I bet they're not laughing so hard now.

Of course Ted gets credit for picking Rodgers. I think the one he got lucky on was Charles Woodson. If there had been a smidgeon more interest in him from other teams, we never would have got him. Ted still gets credit for realizing his value, but he never would have even sniffed him if the other GMs didn't shut off their brains on that one.

I don't even feel that Ted was just lucky on CWood either, a guy with a big name like that is going to garner inquiries from at least a number of other teams. But again, it's that that was over 10 years ago now, and coming into this year he's going to have to repeat that accomplishment, maybe even 2x in one year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even feel that Ted was just lucky on CWood either, a guy with a big name like that is going to garner inquiries from at least a number of other teams. But again, it's that that was over 10 years ago now, and coming into this year he's going to have to repeat that accomplishment, maybe even 2x in one year.
The thinking at the time was that he was done, too many injuries, and a head case. I think Tampa was the only other team interested in him IIRC. Ted gets credit for believing in him. But he's not going to have another Charles Woodson fall into his lap.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted gets credit for believing in him. But he's not going to have another Charles Woodson fall into his lap.
Why not??

If 23 other GM's couldn't get past the questions about AR to draft him, and 30 other GM's couldn't imagine bringing in a disgruntled former Heisman winner ~ why give the NFL GM's so much credit?

There's a ton of information on current/future players that knowing what info. to believe and what to disregard is possibly the largest challenge in personnel. IMHO there will be more golden nuggets "falling into TT's lap" if he sticks in GB for another few years.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not??

If 23 other GM's couldn't get past the questions about AR to draft him, and 30 other GM's couldn't imagine bringing in a disgruntled former Heisman winner ~ why give the NFL GM's so much credit?

There's a ton of information on current/future players that knowing what info. to believe and what to disregard is possibly the largest challenge in personnel. IMHO there will be more golden nuggets "falling into TT's lap" if he sticks in GB for another few years.

What I don't see in the posts on this is how many teams picking before TT had zero interest/need in picking a QB then?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts