Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it expected that not only should Packers have more titles with Rodgers, but they should have more long before his career is over?

First, there's no way anyone can reasonably figure we are at a stage long before AR's career is over. A lot of factors go into QBs playing until or into their 40s, and certainly injury is one of them.

Second, even if we accept the 'long before' description, I'd say seasons 2011-2016 answer the question.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet you as long as Aaron Rodgers is under Center they could change the entire coaching staff, and GM and still be contenders. What some people are STILL FAILING to realize is
It’s not the coaching staff or GM that’s the reason the Packers have been to 2 NFC championships in 3 yrs. it’s Aaron Rodgers!! Now that he’s out now look at them?? They look like the Browns. This is the loss of one player...ONE!! and all of a sudden the entire team looks like hot garbage!! If TT and MM are so great they would be able to keep the team afloat..but clearly they CANNOT without Rodgers. So yes, drastic changes are in need.

The Rams have virtually the same roster as last season and were absolutely terrible... they changed the entire coaching staff, and now look at them. Sometimes “drastic” changes are needed.

I agree with you on changing the GM, but not necessarily the coaching staff. I think TT has to go...check my profile...look at my posts. However, I have respect for MM, but...I get the impression he thinks he's an offensive guru. Coming from SF, he is not Bill Walsh, and never will be. On game day, I do not think he should be calling the plays. Two seasons ago, when he gave up control of play calling, the Packers were solid in all three phases. The offense stalled when Jordy Nelson got injured, MM saw an opening, blamed the OC and took back control of the play calling. Also, I always found it disingenuous to name Edgar Bennett the OC and not allow the great Packer RB to create an offensive identity. He's earned that right. Plus, AR12 should have more input as well. MM should create, help implement the weekly game plan, and manage the team come game day. If anything, Packers should either go after the Cowboys O-Line coach Frank Pollack in the off-season or stick to a blocking scheme that keeps the pocket clean. AR12 should use his improvisation skills as an asset not a liability of bad O-Line play.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on changing the GM, but not necessarily the coaching staff. I think TT has to go...check my profile...look at my posts. However, I have respect for MM, but...I get the impression he thinks he's an offensive guru. Coming from SF, he is not Bill Walsh, and never will be. On game day, I do not think he should be calling the plays. Two seasons ago, when he gave up control of play calling, the Packers were solid in all three phases. The offense stalled when Jordy Nelson got injured, MM saw an opening, blamed the OC and took back control of the play calling. Also, I always found it disingenuous to name Edgar Bennett the OC and not allow the great Packer RB to create an offensive identity. He's earned that right. Plus, AR12 should have more input as well. MM should create, help implement the weekly game plan, and manage the team come game day. If anything, Packers should either go after the Cowboys O-Line coach Frank Pollack in the off-season or stick to a blocking scheme that keeps the pocket clean. AR12 should use his improvisation skills as an asset not a liability of bad O-Line play.

The offense didn't have Jordy all regulars season that year so it's I don't see how the offense can be compared with and without him.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense didn't have Jordy all regulars season that year so it's I don't see how the offense can be compared with and without him.

Ok. I stand corrected on that point. But, its possible his absence changed the whole philosophy of the offense that year. Nelson is a complete receiver. I always thought they should've moved him to the slot like Fitzgerald in Arizona. Two cents... I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson retired after this season either.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe it was Clements calling the plays and not Bennett. We started out okay when MM let go of playcalling, but around midseason the offense was sputtering, so MM figured maybe taking it back would put a steady hand back against a floundering unit.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it was Clements calling the plays and not Bennett. We started out okay when MM let go of playcalling, but around midseason the offense was sputtering, so MM figured maybe taking it back would put a steady hand back against a floundering unit.

In my post that you are quoting, I never said Bennett called plays, because he never did. He was named OC and was not allowed the opportunity to put his stamp on the offense. His title was nominal only, that's what I meant by calling Bennett's "promotion" disingenuous.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts