1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by PackerfaninCarolina, Jan 22, 2017.

1. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Man I don't know. I gotta agree with a lot of people here that there is just something holding this team back from getting over the top and it just seems to be coming from the front office. I think Ted has been a highly successful GM for most of his time here, but I really think he needs to step down and pass the torch onto someone else that might bring just a few more methods to town for filling needs.

Much has been made about MM going stale, and maybe he is, but I haven't given up on him still being able to coach and win a big one. But I think TT should retire and take the staleness out of the front office. Do that and I think the product on the field will change.

Elliot Wolf, you're up man.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Agreed.
    Despite the hype during our mad win streak over the last few weeks, I didn't buy into the hype where I changed my tune.
    I still feel like TT needs to go.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm definitely for blowing up our scouting department. We can't be drafting any more DBs out of the Pac-12, they don't play defense in that conference.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

I'm not sure how much it's going to matter until they figure out why these injuries keep happening. This has gone on for nearly the entirety of Mike McCarthy's tenure.

Now I'm not saying injuries were the reason for this performance; this defense would've been shredded at full health. But it's hard to watch these games anymore because I'm just hoping another one doesn't bite the dust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    If full health Shields been out there with Morgan and others..

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. FaninColorado

FaninColorado Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Free Agency must be used this year... the defense has so many holes to be filled. The draft can only assist that, but it is really necessary to actually be involved this year in OTHER TEAMS FA's. With Shields and Peppers most likely coming off the books AND hopefully CM taking a restructure on his contract, the amount of money to go get some players to grab. Get a new DC, a new defensive scheme, and a new GM. This team needs to be replenished on defense quickly before AR is completely wasted.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Packer Brother

Packer Brother Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    How will people remember TT? As a guy who won a title? Or someone who wasted Rodgers prime?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Firethorn1001

Firethorn1001 Cheesehead

Probably a 0% chance TT is gone. Does he need to go? If he is not going to dip into free agency to re-tool this defense, then yes, he needs to be gone. Unfortunately the offseason will be same same. Talks of 2nd and 3rd year jumps, hope of injuries playing a part of the defensive woes and TT just burying his head into the draft and ignoring the obvious. Not that they need to dip into free agency and spend big, but they need to dip into free agency and get competent parts. Not DBs with 4.7 speed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. PackerFanInChicago

PackerFanInChicago Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I agree 100%. I blame Ted Thompson for the lose. He's so bent on doing it his way (UDFA) that he must now go down with the ship. You need to acquire depth via free agency. Injuries happen to every NFL team. The difference here is that we have a GM that won't spend money on free agents . Yes, Evans didn't catch that gimme interception. Of course he didn't catch it...he's barely in the league. He's an UDFA and he's playing like one. Ted Thompson has to go!!!!!!
    He's wasting A. Rodgers. It like watching Michael Jordan on those early bulls teams. = no support from the front office.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. realist4pack

realist4pack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Time for change at who picks the players. Coaching change for DB coach only. McCarthy and Capers stay.

11. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    Change that and the scouting, that department too is reaking bad of this garbage.

12. Packer Brother

Packer Fan Since:
    Gary Ellerson on radio defending TT. Says that Ted's job is tough with Rodgers salary. Ted must be paying him off for compliments.

13. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't see how that's the case. Surely Brady's getting paid way more than he is yet Bellicheck has no problems in the front office. I just can't buy this reasoning right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    All I can say is ... man someone like Elliot Wolf has to kick this table over in the front office.

15. gonzozab

gonzozab Cheesehead

The Packers are consistently one of the top teams in cap space every year. That excuse doesn't fly, Gare.

16. Quientus

Quientus Oenophile

Packer Fan Since:
    Actually Brady is known to (relatively often) re-negotiate his contracts to be more team friendly ... Brady is still getting paid, but his contracts allow for better cap management ...

https://www.google.dk/amp/nesn.com/...is-one-of-the-biggest-bargains-in-sports/amp/

This is from the earlier re-negotiation ...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/30/tom-brady-contract-nfl-patriots-salary-cap

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. PackerfaninCarolina

Packer Fan Since:
    It's still not like Rodgers is the highest paid QB in the league though. Sorry, but Mr Ellerson is copping out on this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Would have been the same result, no pass rush trouble on 3rd down missed TO opportunitys when you dig yourself that big a hole it does not matter who you have

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gonzozab

gonzozab Cheesehead

"We just gotta make sure we're going all in every year to win, and I think we can take a big step this offseason"

Aaron Rodgers concluding his post game presser just now. Can you say passive aggressive?

Paging Teddy Thompson....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Quientus

Quientus Oenophile

Packer Fan Since:
  21. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    TT has got to go, I also think if MM cant get rid of capers and this training staff I also think MM needs to go ASAP it time to stop being friendly and do what needs to be done before arod turn into dust. I am getting tired of seeing this team lose in the same fashion every year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

From seeing their losses in the last few playoffs, I honestly think the only way they can win it all is with a first round bye week and all playoffs at Lambeau.
    In order to get there, they have to have a winning season.
    And that starts at the top bringing in the right players to get them there.
    Yeah, we need a change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. GreenBaySlacker

GreenBaySlacker Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I come to the conclusion that after the 2018 season when TT retires completely. The next GM will draft his QB in 2019, and get a fresh start. Rodgers will have 6 more years to play under that plan...

24. txj

txj Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The #1 job of TT is to put the pieces together that AR needs to win.

We have a HOF QB on our hands and year after year we are nickeling and dimeing...

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Packer Brother

Packer Fan Since:
    I think it's ludicrous to have TT here two more years. No way should that be the plan.

• Agree Agree x 3