Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thinking at the time was that he was done, too many injuries, and a head case. I think Tampa was the only other team interested in him IIRC. Ted gets credit for believing in him. But he's not going to have another Charles Woodson fall into his lap.

Word at the time was Tampa was insistent on him being a safety, which he had no interest in doing at the time.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I don't see in the posts on this is how many teams picking before TT had zero interest/need in picking a QB then?
http://walterfootball.com/draft2005.php
Cleveland & Tampa had some interest with their early picks. Washington grabbed Jason Campbell 1 pick after GB, so they had a need but didn't choose to trade-up (adding them to the list of 23 GM's, I suppose).

Here's a list of 2005 QB's that played significant snaps for their team, all having passer rating below 75... Brooks Bollinger, Gus Frerotte, Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, JP Losman, Brett Favre!!, Aaron Brooks, Kyle Orton, Josh McCown, Michael Vick, and Joey Harrington.

Expand this list to under 80 passer rating and you'd include: Kerry Collins, David Carr, Trent Dilfer & Eli Manning.

NONE of these teams felt AR was a worthy investment (via trade-up or their #1 pick), except for TT. {going out of town until Tuesday and won't be "on" to defend this post, so have your way with it ;) }

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What I don't see in the posts on this is how many teams picking before TT had zero interest/need in picking a QB then?
Must have been only one wanting a QB as Rodgers was the second QB taken that year. Several teams had gotten their QB a season or two before. Most others had a starter or other more pressing needs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that if Rodgers was viewed as a can't miss prospect in the vein of Luck, Manning, and Elway, there is absolutely no way that 23 teams, many with below average starters, pass him over. Those types of players go in the top 5. He was not that kind of prospect. Thompson saw something in him, McCarthy worked with him, Rodgers dramatically altered his game from his Cal days, and here we are.

Reaction score
I think most of us, even us diehard Negative Nellies, actually feel that way. The luck was in the freefall, the wisdom was in making the choice when lucky enough to be able to do so. The biggest criticism a lot of us hold for TT is not fully capitalizing on the wisdom.
There's nothing lucky about picking AR. That move was shear brilliance on Teds part, especially when reviewing the careeers of all the players picked before Aaron. If we could just get the Defensive unit into the top 10 overall I see great things for the Pack. I have lost a lot of confidence in Capers though.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing lucky about picking AR. That move was shear brilliance on Teds part
I give Ted credit for picking him, he was thinking about the future, because there were doubts how much longer Favre was going to play. But there is most definitely some luck involved, if 21 other teams picked ahead of us and none of them needed a QB. Word was, SF was going to pick Rodgers, but changed their mind and went with Alex Smith instead.

There's a ton of information on current/future players that knowing what info. to believe and what to disregard is possibly the largest challenge in personnel. IMHO there will be more golden nuggets "falling into TT's lap" if he sticks in GB for another few years.
Woodson's a Hall of Famer, as is Rodgers. I would love to think you are right, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for someone of that caliber to "fall into TT's lap" in the next year or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers didn't need a quarterback at the time Thompson drafted Rodgers either. While there was luck involved that he dropped that far TT deserves a ton of credit for selecting him.

Word was, SF was going to pick Rodgers, but changed their mind and went with Alex Smith instead.

Funny thing about it is that Mike McCarthy was the Niners offensive coordinator at that time.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers didn't need a quarterback at the time Thompson drafted Rodgers either. While there was luck involved that he dropped that far TT deserves a ton of credit for selecting him.
The will he / won't he retire about Favre had already started. TT drafts for a year or two down the line (develop phase.) Craig Nall [lifetime 30/48 - 402 yds, 5TD 123.8 rtg] and JT O'sullivan [145/287 - 1866 yds 9TD 13int, 69.9 rtg],behind Favre and Doug Peterson. That is your game plan in the 2005 draft time slot? They may not have needed a day one starter but it was on the horizon and moving in.

ETA: most of JT's stats came in 2008 with SF the same year Rodgers became the guy in GB. Alex Smith took the year off.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that if Rodgers was viewed as a can't miss prospect in the vein of Luck, Manning, and Elway, there is absolutely no way that 23 teams, many with below average starters, pass him over. Those types of players go in the top 5. He was not that kind of prospect. Thompson saw something in him, McCarthy worked with him, Rodgers dramatically altered his game from his Cal days, and here we are.

http://cover32.com/2016/06/08/amazing-story-aaron-rodgers-got-drafted/

Current Seattle Seahawks general manager and former personnel analyst John Schneider spoke with Fox Sports about how the Packers landed Rodgers with an interesting tale of luck and alertness.

“I think it was the Thursday before the draft started, Ted [Thompson] and I were sitting there watching film and we had a TV on and Mike Mayock was going through a mock draft.

And he had Aaron — because it was like if you got past 12 or 14, right in there, all those teams in there had quarterbacks.

D

Deleted member 6794

The will he / won't he retire about Favre had already started. TT drafts for a year or two down the line (develop phase.) Craig Nall [lifetime 30/48 - 402 yds, 5TD 123.8 rtg] and JT O'sullivan [145/287 - 1866 yds 9TD 13int, 69.9 rtg],behind Favre and Doug Peterson. That is your game plan in the 2005 draft time slot? They may not have needed a day one starter but it was on the horizon and moving in.

There was no need for Thompson to spend a first round pick on a quarterback in the 2005 draft. He decided to pull the trigger on Rodgers because they had him ranked as the only top tier player left and therefore deserves a lot of credit for selecting him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Maybe that's the way to state it. Several attempts earlier to say the same thing which evidently didn't click. The only thing I'd argue with is that deporting case - I'd want some supporting players. :)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was no need for Thompson to spend a first round pick on a quarterback in the 2005 draft. He decided to pull the trigger on Rodgers because they had him ranked as the only top tier player left and therefore deserves a lot of credit for selecting him.
I give Ted full credit for drafting him, although it isn't correct to say there was no need there. We were going to need a QB in the next few years, and you don't want to wait until the year Favre retires to draft somebody and throw them to the wolves.

But let's put it this way, and see if anyone can agree with it: Aaron Rodgers had no business still being there at #24.

D

Deleted member 6794

I give Ted full credit for drafting him, although it isn't correct to say there was no need there. We were going to need a QB in the next few years, and you don't want to wait until the year Favre retires to draft somebody and throw them to the wolves.

The Packers weren't in immediate need of upgrading the quarterback position. I agree Thompson should have thought about replacing Favre down the road but I didn't expect him to use the 24th pick, especially it being his first ever selection as the team's general manager, on a QB.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But let's put it this way, and see if anyone can agree with it: Aaron Rodgers had no business still being there at #24.

Well, did Tom Brady have any business being drafted at #199? Crazy, the 49ers had two QBs there who grew up 49er fans both expecting to be drafted by them and ... whomp no.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Give Tom Clements some credit too. He was Rodgers QB coach from 2006 - 2011 and I have to think he had some influence over Rodgers development from a "QB with potential" to who he is today.

I also will always wonder how much Favre indirectly influenced Rodgers. AR had to hear and read the constant criticism of Favre's "gunslinger" mentality, sometimes the best teachers are the ones that teach you not to do what they do.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Thompson should have thought about replacing Favre down the road but I didn't expect him to use the 24th pick, especially it being his first ever selection as the team's general manager, on a QB.
I had forgotten that was TT's first pick. And I guess you could argue that it was all downhill from there lol. :)
I don't mean that as a slam to Ted, but after you pick AR, what do you do for an encore?

I also will always wonder how much Favre indirectly influenced Rodgers. AR had to hear and read the constant criticism of Favre's "gunslinger" mentality, sometimes the best teachers are the ones that teach you not to do what they do.
I've often wondered that myself. There was so much heat on Favre for his interceptions, and McCarthy seemed disgusted with his recklessness at times. Rodgers said he has always hated to throw interceptions, but you have to think that lesson was driven home. And I'm sure he must have picked up some good things from watching Favre, as well.

H

HardRightEdge

I believe he pulled the trigger not simply because Thompson thought Rodgers was a good value.

He pulled the trigger because Favre was weeping and mumbling about retiring.

Opportunity meets risk aversion.

H

HardRightEdge

By the way, does anybody doubt that Thompson will have to quit or be wheeled out in a casket?

There is no scenario where he'll be fired (or asked to retire which amounts to the same thing) short of bottoming out for a couple of years. So long as he keeps getting to the playoffs his job is safe. I think we can take that to the bank (or the pawn broker).

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no scenario where he'll be fired (or asked to retire which amounts to the same thing) short of bottoming out for a couple of years. So long as he keeps getting to the playoffs his job is safe.
Completely agree, and as long as we have Rodgers, we are going to be making the playoffs, more than likely. Ted's contract expires after the 2018 season, so it looks like he will probably be around at least until then. I had thought perhaps he might retire early in order to keep Eliot Wolf around, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen. Perhaps those who want Thompson gone should instead turn their ire to Mark Murphy?

There's no doubt Ted is a great GM, one of the best in the league. However, I'm not convinced that this team is going to get over the hump (get another Super Bowl win) with Ted at the helm, UNLESS he loosens up on the reins a little, and alter his approach, just a bit. Just a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Ted is a great GM, one of the best in the league. However, I'm not convinced that this team is going to get over the hump (get another Super Bowl win) with Ted at the helm, UNLESS he loosens up on the reins a little, and alter his approach, just a bit. Just a bit.

In my opinion the Packers not having won another Super Bowl while having the best quarterback in the league disqualifies Thompson from consideration of being a great general manager.

H

HardRightEdge

In my opinion the Packers not having won another Super Bowl while having the best quarterback in the league disqualifies Thompson from consideration of being a great general manager.
Every year an Achilles heel makes itself evident, rotating from one position group to another. S, ILB, TE, RB, WR, CB. Some persist over two seasons. He tends to overpay his own guys, and we're fortunate in having certain guys actually turn down his contract offers (Jennings, Raji,). The 1st. round defensive players have been disappointing.

While you cannot expect all of those players to be semi-impact or impact players, you'd at least expect them to be decent starters. There have been some misfit toys in that group, but the DC is complicit in not maximizing what he's given.

D

Deleted member 6794

While you cannot expect all of those players to be semi-impact or impact players, you'd at least expect them to be decent starters. There have been some misfit toys in that group, but the DC is complicit in not maximizing what he's given.

Unfortunately I don't believe Capers has been given a lot of talented players to work with by Thompson over the last six seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

Unfortunately I don't believe Capers has been given a lot of talented players to work with by Thompson over the last six seasons.
You cannot be sure about that, can you, without seeing those guys play in other systems before they get old and slow? What I do know is that he runs lousy zone schemes.