Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Jets cut Revis I would try and sign him to play Safety and provide that veteran leadership in the deep patrol. Also JPP if the Giants don't keep him. That we need a pass rush has been evident for years. We should have signed Peppers years ago when he still had gas in the tank, not at the twilight of his career.

A: Saftey is the LEAST of our issues on D

B: Really going out on a limb saying we should've signed Peppers in his prime huh? Can't imagine why the Bears didn't cut him when he was an All Pro. The fact we got two pretty damn good years out of him before the tires went out is a win.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the next up and coming great young player on either side of the ball? I'm talking a possible blue chip player

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Patriots don't draft high either, and now under the Brady / Belichick regime their 7th or 8th SB appearance.

We wasted the prime of Brett Favre, and have wasted the prime of Aaron Rodgers.

The unwillingness to use FA has shown again. Heck, a cheap signing like Cook shows how you can go about it.

If the Jets cut Revis I would try and sign him to play Safety and provide that veteran leadership in the deep patrol. Also JPP if the Giants don't keep him. That we need a pass rush has been evident for years. We should have signed Peppers years ago when he still had gas in the tank, not at the twilight of his career.

Yep, the Pats are always picking low in the first round. But you look at their roster and see lots of guys acquired through other means than just the draft. They're a good example of a team that is build around the draft, but with talent sprinkled in via trades and FA's. It has made a big difference for them.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Atlanta defense is effectively the exact same defense we've seen in GB every year fans complain about how bad the D is. They aren't even average but they've managed to come up with a few plays here and there. They're also the worst red zone defense in the league and have given up points in bunches.

Using them as an example of success for a defense is being blinded by the moment

You are correct. I really hadn't paid attention to Atlanta's defense during the season. Now after looking at NFL stats they are actually pretty much on par with the Packers statistically. But after watching them the last 2 weeks I would take their talent over ours. They have much more speed and upside on that unit thans GB has on theirs.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because I so wanted us to beat Atlanta I did not bring this up but based on what I have seen in the last couple weeks I belive Thompson is going to step down soon as in the next few weeeks. What do I base this on, 1 Thompson for the 1st time in his time at Green Bay missed the East West shrine game ,Thompson has usaly been the 1st one there the last on to leave however this year nothing. 2 Eillot Wolf was allowed to interview for th San fran job then given his 2nd promotion in two years to stay , 3 while i hope he is 100 precent healty something tells me hes not Thompson has allways been a behind the sceens type of GM this year hes been the invisabile GM.something is up in Denmark and I think it's Thompson starting his retirement
To be fair, Teddy was probably viewing some all 22 film of Central Delaware Tech.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Favre era was interesting. On one side, at least Ron Wolf had the integrity to admit he messed up not providing Favre with the weapons necessary to win more than one Super Bowl, a team he also had the integrity to call "a one hit wonder, a fart in the wind." You will never hear Teddy admit to making any mistakes as continues to make the same ones and expecting different results, the definition of insanity.

On the other hand, if you're wondering how the Favre era only netted one Super Bowl, you can look directly at Favre himself. So many choke jobs he pulled off after the turn of the century.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lastly, can we just not even have a draft thread this year, believing this will be the draft that Teddy puts together that brings the necessary talent around Rodgers to make a Super Bowl run? Until Teddy is gone, nothing is going to change. Because of Rodgers' magic, this team has more late 20's draft picks and Teddy will probably spend the first rounder on Takkarist McKinley. Teddy can't get enough of those UCLA defenders.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I just hope Elliot Wolf was as good as his father. Or 2 years from now there will be Fire Wolf threads.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much it's going to matter until they figure out why these injuries keep happening. This has gone on for nearly the entirety of Mike McCarthy's tenure.

Now I'm not saying injuries were the reason for this performance; this defense would've been shredded at full health. But it's hard to watch these games anymore because I'm just hoping another one doesn't bite the dust.

I don't think they would have been shredded at full health. Shields healthy, Matthews without a bad shoulder, Perry without a club, Martinez, Randall, Burnett, Hyde and Rollins all playing at 100% would have made a big difference.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been on the Ted Train for some time now. I do think he is a solid GM and he has consistently put a solid product on the field, injuries withstanding. With that being said WE ARE THE GREEN BAY PACKERS. We have a generational talent at QB and the days of "solid" need to go bye-bye. It's time to break open the wallet and come out day one of FA with our hair on fire. No more waiting for the 3rd round of FA's until we finally pull the trigger. I believe in the D&D strategy and think it's the best way to build a solid, long-term foundation of the team. We pretty much have that in place so instead of adding pieces for 3 years down the road let's get some plug and play guys that can help next year. I don't think I am being a homer when I say we aren't far off. If Ted is willing to spend, stay. I am fine with that. If he wants to keep doing thing the old way, he has to go and go now.

The injury deal. I just don't know what to say about this issue any longer? Year after year we suffer significant injuries. I know Mike has changed the way he's doing things from a practice standpoint and they've made some dietary changes too but nothing ever changes. I just close my eyes and think of this team relatively healthy sometimes and it makes me sick. Does anyone have a theory as to why the injury bug keeps biting us?!?!?

With a heavy heart...Go Pack Go!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see this happening at all. We are a team who has made it to the NFC Championship game with the crucial injuries we've had and the young, talented players on offense and defense. Mind you, young talent Ted brought into the organization. It goes without saying do not take getting into the NFC Championship game lightly despite the dismal results. It's a huge accomplishment for this team to of gotten there.

I don't anticipate a huge overhaul of staff or players. Why greatly alter a team that in the 2nd half of the season propelled itself by sheer force of will into the NFC Championship game? I say develop the young recievers and guys we have right now instead of seeking outside. Obviously we can't keep everyone, that will be a decision for TT to make. Most notably we need help on D, that's where I see maybe the more possible drastic changes being made.

For Rodell: WE NEED CORNERS, TED!!!

I think CB is our most obvious hole to fill. Other than that I don't see this team changing as much as folks would want after suffering a disappointing loss. Keep perspective. Fact is our perspective as fans is in sharp contrast to the perspective of the GM and how the people who actually run the team views its wants and needs.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see this happening at all. We are a team who has made it to the NFC Championship game with the crucial injuries we've had and the young, talented players on offense and defense. Mind you, young talent Ted brought into the organization. It goes without saying do not take getting into the NFC Championship game lightly despite the dismal results. It's a huge accomplishment for this team to of gotten there.

I don't anticipate a huge overhaul of staff or players. Why greatly alter a team that in the 2nd half of the season propelled itself by sheer force of will into the NFC Championship game? I say develop the young recievers and guys we have right now instead of seeking outside. Obviously we can't keep everyone, that will be a decision for TT to make. Most notably we need help on D, that's where I see maybe the more possible drastic changes being made.

I think CB is our most obvious hole to fill. Other than that I don't see this team changing as much as folks would want after suffering a disappointing loss. Keep perspective. Fact is our perspective as fans is in sharp contrast to the perspective of the GM and how the people who actually run the team views its wants and needs.

I don't think anyone is saying go to ground zero here. We're mostly talking addition to what we're doing, not subtraction. I mean the Capers topic is something I've said a little something about, but most people have started believing he just simply has inadequate talent on that side of the ball. I think the problem people are having with Ted, including myself somewhat is not pulling all the levers available when injuries start occurring on defense. You may not be able to cover for all the injuries, but you should be able to use FA and maybe even trading methods if you got a good deal for that to cover weaknesses. Ted just doesn't seem to want to use those avenues though, that's why people have started calling for change. It isn't about eroding the foundation here, it's about adding to the building methodology.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This ones on TT for sure. The coaching staff and AR worked miracles to get to this point. After Shields went down, absolutely no move to bring in anyone of note. This team is missing veteran depth on Defense. If we did, Shields going down wouldn't have meant playing injured second year players and Undrafted free agents. We need an honest to God 3 down ILB that can cover. We need an edge rusher to replace Peppers. We absolutely need some veteran depth in the secondary, and we need to replace Shields with a guy like DRC or Amukamara in FA. Datone Jones does nothing for us. Draft another playmaker or two and 2 or 3 veterans and we can go back to the Super Bowl. Maybe we could draft someone like Jabril Peppers too. Playmaker and on special teams. Move Burnett as a hybrid guy and bring in another. Plenty cap room to go all in. We need that veteran depth in the secondary like the last Super Bowl team had. A shutdown corner alone changes the Defense massively.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
2014-2015
This ones on TT for sure. The coaching staff and AR worked miracles to get to this point. After Shields went down, absolutely no move to bring in anyone of note. This team is missing veteran depth on Defense. If we did, Shields going down wouldn't have meant playing injured second year players and Undrafted free agents. We need an honest to God 3 down ILB that can cover. We need an edge rusher to replace Peppers. We absolutely need some veteran depth in the secondary, and we need to replace Shields with a guy like DRC or Amukamara in FA. Datone Jones does nothing for us. Draft another playmaker or two and 2 or 3 veterans and we can go back to the Super Bowl. Maybe we could draft someone like Jabril Peppers too. Playmaker and on special teams. Move Burnett as a hybrid guy and bring in another. Plenty cap room to go all in. We need that veteran depth in the secondary like the last Super Bowl team had. A shutdown corner alone changes the Defense massively.

I like your thinking and love the Peppers pick. He can play corner or anywhere back there and I also like bringing in a free agent like Stephon Gilmore. I know he had a bad year but get him out of Buffalo and onto a winner and I think his game comes back. He isnt too old. I would take him over any corner on our roster now. Dix might be better suited in the box and IMO Brice is our best young prospect in the whole secondary. He has range and the instincts your looking for.

Then need pass rush up the middle. That was supposed to be Kenny Clarks big thing but i havent seen much of it. I like Carlos Watkins out of Clemson. He is a disrupter up the middle and can push the pocket. I think we can get by with our ILB's and might have to cause we need a couple pass rushers too along with keeping Perry.

That would be my quick fix version.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is saying go to ground zero here. We're mostly talking addition to what we're doing, not subtraction. I mean the Capers topic is something I've said a little something about, but most people have started believing he just simply has inadequate talent on that side of the ball. I think the problem people are having with Ted, including myself somewhat is not pulling all the levers available when injuries start occurring on defense. You may not be able to cover for all the injuries, but you should be able to use FA and maybe even trading methods if you got a good deal for that to cover weaknesses. Ted just doesn't seem to want to use those avenues though, that's why people have started calling for change. It isn't about eroding the foundation here, it's about adding to the building methodology.

I like both of these. Living in San Diego, I watched the Chargers fire Marty for making the playoffs for several years and going 14-2 but losing once again in the playoffs. Since then, they barely have sniffed playoffs, and have not had a good season for a while. So we need to be careful of what we wish for.

The second point is we do need to address the CB position. This is a dire need and really should have been addressed before or at the trade deadline. We should get some bodies back from injury this offseason to strengthen our defense, but we have several holes to fill and need to look at ALL options available to do that. I wish we were more aggressive at using all options to have quality depth at areas of concern.

Last edited:

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is the genial acceptance of second place; of next season we will be better...Meanwhile, the best years of Rodgers continues to slide by...Contrast this with Elway's determined focus to make the best use of the few years he had with Manning.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is who he is. He's not changing. Therefore, it falls on his boss to have a say. Although you'll only get a press release announcing price increases from Murphy. This is where having no owner sometimes hurts us. I'm not saying we need a hands on meddlesome owner interfering all the time. I'm suggesting most NFL owners wouldn't stand pat when their employees do not make sufficient improvement over the years.

This organization has wasted Rodgers prime. I hold Thompson and Murphy responsible. Bob Harlan wouldn't of put up with this.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What worries me is the genial acceptance of second place; of next season we will be better...Meanwhile, the best years of Rodgers continues to slide by...Contrast this with Elway's determined focus to make the best use of the few years he Had with Manning.

What things do people do to make you believe they are okay accepting 2nd place right?

But I do agree we need free agency NOW

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is the genial acceptance of second place; of next season we will be better...Meanwhile, the best years of Rodgers continues to slide by...Contrast this with Elway's determined focus to make the best use of the few years he had with Manning.
First line is garbage. Rodgers probably has at least 5-6 years before he gets to a place where we can consider it on par with the situation Elway had with Manning. and that whole situation? Every team takes a little luck to get to the Super Bowl and win, the Broncos had a ton and you know what they sustained? Nothing. They didn't even make it to the playoffs for a 2nd year. Kudos to them for not achieving a fraction of Ted has in GB but somehow being considered better at it.

I hope they announce a 15 year extension for Thompson just to watch the heads explode around here. Every year it's someone new we should emulate. The broncos, not even a playoff team. The Seahawks whom we buried and things aren't getting better for them over there either. Now the Giants because they spent money on defense? Eli is almost done too, let's see where they end up over the next season or 3 before we start proclaiming their wildcard round exit of the playoffs a success. The Raiders? yeah, i know, they lost their QB at the end of the year and turned to garbage, just what everyone says GB would be, and their probably right. Yet the Raiders are still considered better run right now by some. LOL.

we have some holes this year, we came up short and a few plays differently maybe we're still playing. I know it's hard for so many to accept because all they see our W's and L's and miss everything else in football. It's like only caring how much money is in your bank account when you die, talk about missing all the good stuff. While we got blown out in the end, we weren't that far off either. Just like the Dallas game where we didn't play well and ended up blown out, when we played like we can, we won. We had plays to make in that game and we didn't. A fumble recovery, a couple INT's, dropped passes right in the hands, etc. and on defense we need some pass rushers and 1 DB. Then with a little luck that it takes any team that wins the Super Bowl, we'll be there in the hunt again next year.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that Charles Tillman was willing to come out of retirement to help the Packers go all the way, and had we signed him immediately going into the playoffs, he's likely game ready by yesterday.

Would it have made any difference, I have no idea. But when Gunter is your best CB, any help would have been great.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he signed one of those "fake" contracts with the Bears so he could retire a bear and it would have been up to Chicago to release his contract for him to sign with a different team. I doubt they would have been able to make this happen. Woulda been cool, though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First line is garbage. Rodgers probably has at least 5-6 years before he gets to a place where we can consider it on par with the situation Elway had with Manning. and that whole situation? Every team takes a little luck to get to the Super Bowl and win, the Broncos had a ton and you know what they sustained? Nothing. They didn't even make it to the playoffs for a 2nd year. Kudos to them for not achieving a fraction of Ted has in GB but somehow being considered better at it.

I hope they announce a 15 year extension for Thompson just to watch the heads explode around here. Every year it's someone new we should emulate. The broncos, not even a playoff team. The Seahawks whom we buried and things aren't getting better for them over there either. Now the Giants because they spent money on defense? Eli is almost done too, let's see where they end up over the next season or 3 before we start proclaiming their wildcard round exit of the playoffs a success. The Raiders? yeah, i know, they lost their QB at the end of the year and turned to garbage, just what everyone says GB would be, and their probably right. Yet the Raiders are still considered better run right now by some. LOL.

we have some holes this year, we came up short and a few plays differently maybe we're still playing. I know it's hard for so many to accept because all they see our W's and L's and miss everything else in football. It's like only caring how much money is in your bank account when you die, talk about missing all the good stuff. While we got blown out in the end, we weren't that far off either. Just like the Dallas game where we didn't play well and ended up blown out, when we played like we can, we won. We had plays to make in that game and we didn't. A fumble recovery, a couple INT's, dropped passes right in the hands, etc. and on defense we need some pass rushers and 1 DB. Then with a little luck that it takes any team that wins the Super Bowl, we'll be there in the hunt again next year.

1. I'll agree with that, it is stupid to suggest Rodgers is heading for retirement city already like I saw some doing, and baring some catastrophic injury I believe about 6 years is what he'll have to keep playing at peak level. We'll see.

2. I may have sent the wrong message with my posts there, I wasn't suggesting for this team to turn into Denver or whatever there. I just meant more so that they realized only operating an offensive juggernaut year in and year out wasn't going to get it done if their defense had issues because while the offense could mask them in the regular season, they were going to come home to roost at some point in the playoffs like they did in Superbowl XLVIII. I don't want this team to become run like Denver, but they should try and build this defense up to something that's going to be able to pick up its game in the postseason.

3. I think you're right that this team has as good a chance as ever to be back in the running again next year, though I'd like to see us do better than 10-6 along the way. I think it's more that people feel Thompson's work addressing the defense so far has been inadequate and that simply looking for scrubs to put in these important positions to be playing in the playoffs is not going to cut it.

I think as do others we can do more to address that side of the ball than has been done the last few years.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but he signed one of those "fake" contracts with the Bears so he could retire a bear and it would have been up to Chicago to release his contract for him to sign with a different team. I doubt they would have been able to make this happen. Woulda been cool, though.

Those are 1 day contracts, so there should be no need for them to release him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after seeing Tillman exit the past 2 seasons, I can't help but think the first time he made contact with anyone, he would have been done again. His body was done, and it was telling him it was done. Loved the guy, respect the heck out of him, but I hold no vision that he could have come in and done anything for this team.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Brady is known to (relatively often) re-negotiate his contracts to be more team friendly ... Brady is still getting paid, but his contracts allow for better cap management ...

https://www.google.dk/amp/nesn.com/...is-one-of-the-biggest-bargains-in-sports/amp/

This is from the earlier re-negotiation ...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/30/tom-brady-contract-nfl-patriots-salary-cap
Tom Brady is a smart person to renegotiate in the teams favor. Most of these players are way over paid across the NFL. Brady is way ahead of the game. At some point, people are going to turn away from these high priced, immature, entitled players. They are paid well enough and there are endorsement deals and appearance fees in major markets. You can over price any thing. The law of supply and demand is as good as the laws of physics. I am not saying this is a Green Bay problem. I see it across the entire NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA. The out of control, upward spiral of pay will one day come tumbling down.

Members online