Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or did it seem the packers never had a game were they were fully healthy, I think they should fire their conditioning coach

This team suffers more groin and hamstring injuries than any other team I've ever watched in my life!! Can't be a coincidence that it happens every year to 5 or 6 guys!! Most this crap happens at practice!!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is asked to do to much. He's an elite player but the other team gets paid as well. thebgiy just has to much pressure because he's literally having to carry the defense as well. They showed a shot of him when the Falcons scored the opening drive, and you could just tell by the look on his face in his mind he probably was saying...great, here we go with this crap again. I said it before...I'd rather Rodgers move on after his current contract, and go somewhere and win another couple of rings..rather than to stay with this Organization and go down as the greatest QB to o my win one damn ring.

It's unfair that he gets the scrutiny that he gets because of his current GM and coaching staff not doing EVERYTHING they can to get to more SB. Winning the North and getting into the playoffs is not enough. I don't care how many times in a do they've been and all that other hooblah...how many times have you gone to the SB? ONE damn time smh.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is implying the organization of the Packers is okay with just being 10-6, hence why I said what I did.

No, as the other guy pointed out, he said 'if', not 'since'. He established a possible scenario and based his post on the 'if.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that Charles Tillman was willing to come out of retirement to help the Packers go all the way, and had we signed him immediately going into the playoffs, he's likely game ready by yesterday.

Would it have made any difference, I have no idea. But when Gunter is your best CB, any help would have been great.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that Charles Tillman was willing to come out of retirement to help the Packers go all the way, and had we signed him immediately going into the playoffs, he's likely game ready by yesterday.

Would it have made any difference, I have no idea. But when Gunter is your best CB, any help would have been great.

Gosh especially seeing how bad Gunter is. I'm still trying to figure out what they saw that warranted them sticking with him and not trying other corners. You had guts like Antonio Cromartie and Dee milliner svailable. couldve just rented them for the season smh.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a big problem.

We had all these first rounders out there yesterday that had no impact on the game at all.
Mathews. Peppers. Perry. D. Jones. Clark.

Granted we didn't draft Peppers but we sure as hell pay him a lot. But those guys had zero pressure on Ryan yesterday. And we all know it starts in the trenches. That's the biggest problem with Ted not evaluating properly.

This defense needs FAs whether he wants to or not. Please just retire already and let someone else give this a shot.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is ... man someone like Elliot Wolf has to kick this table over in the front office.

Its time for Murphy to actually act like the head man. Grow a pair tell Ted to either get us some players or I'll find a GM who will. Every year its the same outcome, get to the playoffs and then the defense craps the bed and they are out! Atlanta rebuilt their defense in 2 years!!! Green Bays defense has not improved in 5 years (maybe gotten worse) This is on the GM. I would be all for Ted getting fired or forced to retire. I just don't think Murphy has the balls to do that. So get ready for another replay next year!

Bluegrass79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They let Casey Hayward go and he goes onto San Diego and leads the league in INT's. Somebody deserves to get fired.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Sherman, Marcus Peters, Sean Smith, Desmond Trufant, and Jimmy Smith say hi.

But then the issue is still poor judgment and scouting coming from this front office because if he's not finding these kinds of players, someone's calling the shots wrong. I'm not sure if TT gets these predetermined notions to find scrub players and turn them into stars because he figures he'll get a cheap bargain for doing so, or if he simply is hearing from Capers that he must get X and X player because they mesh in my scheme kind of thing. I don't know, but it just seems all wrong.

Its time for Murphy to actually act like the head man. Grow a pair tell Ted to either get us some players or I'll find a GM who will. Every year its the same outcome, get to the playoffs and then the defense craps the bed and they are out! Atlanta rebuilt their defense in 2 years!!! Green Bays defense has not improved in 5 years (maybe gotten worse) This is on the GM. I would be all for Ted getting fired or forced to retire. I just don't think Murphy has the balls to do that. So get ready for another replay next year!

Umm not sure if you meant Atlanta or Denver because Atlanta hasn't really had a good defense this year, they've played a little better this playoffs but had a crappy o-line against Seattle and our guys yesterday turned the ball over and dropped a ton of passes and all the rest.

I'd say Denver is a better example because they ran all the way to the Superbowl on Manning's arm and elite offensive play in 2013. They learned the hard way you couldn't just simply rely on those to get it done while having a crappy defense, and hence why they got destroyed by Seattle. Yeah, the offense did them in by doing very bad in that game on top of Seattle's D playing good, but they realized if they were going to get the job done before Manning retired, they were going to have to change facets of their team and change the defensive talent and mentality. I don't know if we'd be able to reel in the talent Denver had in 2015 to this team next year, but this organization should at least take some consideration into what the Broncos did and do it before Rodgers hits 40.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team suffers more groin and hamstring injuries than any other team I've ever watched in my life!! Can't be a coincidence that it happens every year to 5 or 6 guys!! Most this crap happens at practice!!!
It was like 15 this year. The hammy epidemic is out of control.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But then the issue is still poor judgment and scouting coming from this front office because if he's not finding these kinds of players, someone's calling the shots wrong. I'm not sure if TT gets these predetermined notions to find scrub players and turn them into stars because he figures he'll get a cheap bargain for doing so, or if he simply is hearing from Capers that he must get X and X player because they mesh in my scheme kind of thing. I don't know, but it just seems all wrong.

Umm not sure if you meant Atlanta or Denver because Atlanta hasn't really had a good defense this year, they've played a little better this playoffs but had a crappy o-line against Seattle and our guys yesterday turned the ball over and dropped a ton of passes and all the rest.

I'd say Denver is a better example because they ran all the way to the Superbowl on Manning's arm and elite offensive play in 2013. They learned the hard way you couldn't just simply rely on those to get it done while having a crappy defense, and hence why they got destroyed by Seattle. Yeah, the offense did them in by doing very bad in that game on top of Seattle's D playing good, but they realized if they were going to get the job done before Manning retired, they were going to have to change facets of their team and change the defensive talent and mentality. I don't know if we'd be able to reel in the talent Denver had in 2015 to this team next year, but this organization should at least take some consideration into what the Broncos did and do it before Rodgers hits 40.

I definitely meant Atlanta. They are not a great defense like Denver or Seattle when they won the super bowl but they are a much better defense than Green Bay. With the Packers offense they don't need a Super Defense. They need a above average defense not this crap we have now.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From seeing their losses in the last few playoffs, I honestly think the only way they can win it all is with a first round bye week and all playoffs at Lambeau.
In order to get there, they have to have a winning season.
And that starts at the top bringing in the right players to get them there.
Yeah, we need a change.
TT has got to go, I also think if MM cant get rid of capers and this training staff I also think MM needs to go ASAP it time to stop being friendly and do what needs to be done before arod turn into dust. I am getting tired of seeing this team lose in the same fashion every year.
I don't understand how they've only been to one SB with the best QB in the league, and yet they have been eliminated the same way every time, and still nothing changes. Sounds to me like there needs to be more turn-over in the coaching/training ranks...

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how they've only been to one SB with the best QB in the league, and yet they have been eliminated the same way every time, and still nothing changes. Sounds to me like there needs to be more turn-over in the coaching/training ranks...

They have won 2 SB's in 25 years with arguably 2 of the top 10 QB's to ever play the game. That hurts.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have won 2 SB's in 25 years with arguably 2 of the top 10 QB's to ever play the game. That hurts.
And rightfully so. Favre should've won at least 2 or 3, and Rodgers should have 4 or 5 by now, but every year goes by and this team still doesn't have a defense...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Well sure. But problems in prospect evaluation don't mean that they should ignore an entire position in a power 5 conference. That was my point.

I think evaluation is an issue, but only to a degree. I would argue that TT's draft record is still strong overall, especially considering that he hasn't picked above 21 since 2009. It's hard to find superstars when you're always picking that late, but outside of Randall and Jones, he's found good players. But the problem is that as draft position places an inherent cap on the quality of player you can acquire AND you refuse to dip into free agency, you're going to lack those blue chip, difference making impact players. That becomes a problem. And it's honestly what the draft system in the NFL is designed to do-- to force great teams back to the pack. You only avoid that perpetual pull towards the bottom with excellent prospect evaluation AND a judicious, but effective use of FA. I think Thompson is wrong to ignore half of the equation (though I do think that it's better in the long run to underuse FA than to overuse it).

But I think that player development by the coaching staff on defense is being overlooked a bit as the other major factor in this equation.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What can we even realistically hope for at this point? Even if TT was to leave today, are we really going to expect the defense to have some drastic improvement by next season?

Matthews is making a ridiculous amount of money for his production, odds we change that at all? Probably low
We need our corners to monumentally improve. Possible but doubtful, some improvement is expected though
The ILBs are still a disaster, TT puts just about no value into this position so I don't expect that to change.
The Dline is basically Daniels and no one else. Maybe Clark will become a stud but at this point that's only hopefully thinking.

I firmly believe that this defense lacks the overall athletic ability to get it done. We look so slow on defense and I cannot take it anymore. I'm sick of watching our DBs chase 5 yards behind the receiver. I'm sick of watching slow plodding ILBs who lack quickness, who can't tackle, or cover anyone.

I don't see how fans can look at the defensive players we put out on the field and then expect to see good results. How many records do we have to give up to opposing players/teams before we make a change?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And rightfully so. Favre should've won at least 2 or 3, and Rodgers should have 4 or 5 by now, but every year goes by and this team still doesn't have a defense...

They should have 6-8 total under Favre and Rodgers.

More than two would be great, but that's really pushing expectations.

P

proudsoftballdad

So because I so wanted us to beat Atlanta I did not bring this up but based on what I have seen in the last couple weeks I belive Thompson is going to step down soon as in the next few weeeks. What do I base this on, 1 Thompson for the 1st time in his time at Green Bay missed the East West shrine game ,Thompson has usaly been the 1st one there the last on to leave however this year nothing. 2 Eillot Wolf was allowed to interview for th San fran job then given his 2nd promotion in two years to stay , 3 while i hope he is 100 precent healty something tells me hes not Thompson has allways been a behind the sceens type of GM this year hes been the invisabile GM.something is up in Denmark and I think it's Thompson starting his retirement

excalibur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf admitted that they erred by not providing Favre with enough weapons. Passing on Randy Moss for Vonnie Holliday a prime example.

Now, TT, the man who had Rodgers fall into his lap, has been awful at selecting defensive players, leaving the team giving up embarrassing yardage in their playoff losses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because I so wanted us to beat Atlanta I did not bring this up but based on what I have seen in the last couple weeks I belive Thompson is going to step down soon as in the next few weeeks. What do I base this on, 1 Thompson for the 1st time in his time at Green Bay missed the East West shrine game ,Thompson has usaly been the 1st one there the last on to leave however this year nothing. 2 Eillot Wolf was allowed to interview for th San fran job then given his 2nd promotion in two years to stay , 3 while i hope he is 100 precent healty something tells me hes not Thompson has allways been a behind the sceens type of GM this year hes been the invisabile GM.something is up in Denmark and I think it's Thompson starting his retirement

Something tells me this could be the case as well, or at least that he'll be stepping down before his contract is up. I think it's about due though, kudos to him for the 2005-2011 years, but time to get with the times in 2017.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is asked to do to much. He's an elite player but the other team gets paid as well. thebgiy just has to much pressure because he's literally having to carry the defense as well. They showed a shot of him when the Falcons scored the opening drive, and you could just tell by the look on his face in his mind he probably was saying...great, here we go with this crap again. I said it before...I'd rather Rodgers move on after his current contract, and go somewhere and win another couple of rings..rather than to stay with this Organization and go down as the greatest QB to o my win one damn ring.

It's unfair that he gets the scrutiny that he gets because of his current GM and coaching staff not doing EVERYTHING they can to get to more SB. Winning the North and getting into the playoffs is not enough. I don't care how many times in a do they've been and all that other hooblah...how many times have you gone to the SB? ONE damn time smh.
Man MM and TT more into friendships then doing what it takes to win games. This is why the Patriots are in it every year. But when I say MM needs to go with his ship because he scared to fire his friends I get scrutinized for saying it. This training staff is terrible so many injuries every year consistently, this defense bad year after year even on special team we have players that can just fair catch it no one that really taking it to the house or MM doesn't want to put no one out there. Like people make so many excuses for them its crazy. I honestly feel if MM can fire the necessary pieces to get this team to the sb then he should go. TT i think his time is up also, this development crap and not participating in FA is crazy I also feel MM has have to have a say so in FA also.

excalibur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots don't draft high either, and now under the Brady / Belichick regime their 7th or 8th SB appearance.

We wasted the prime of Brett Favre, and have wasted the prime of Aaron Rodgers.

The unwillingness to use FA has shown again. Heck, a cheap signing like Cook shows how you can go about it.

If the Jets cut Revis I would try and sign him to play Safety and provide that veteran leadership in the deep patrol. Also JPP if the Giants don't keep him. That we need a pass rush has been evident for years. We should have signed Peppers years ago when he still had gas in the tank, not at the twilight of his career.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely meant Atlanta. They are not a great defense like Denver or Seattle when they won the super bowl but they are a much better defense than Green Bay. With the Packers offense they don't need a Super Defense. They need a above average defense not this crap we have now.

The Atlanta defense is effectively the exact same defense we've seen in GB every year fans complain about how bad the D is. They aren't even average but they've managed to come up with a few plays here and there. They're also the worst red zone defense in the league and have given up points in bunches.

Using them as an example of success for a defense is being blinded by the moment

Members online

Latest posts