Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ultimately if the Packers front office is satisfied with going 10-6 and getting into the playoffs, TT will stay and serve up another woeful defense in 2017. If championships are the goal changes will have to be made because we have had six years in a row of the same old mess.

This organization is good at accumulating these bad kinds of statistics:

"Rodgers became the only quarterback to start six consecutive postseasons (2011-2016) without reaching a Super Bowl in any of them"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has to go. If you're going to treat your draft picks like they're solid gold, you had damn well better be hitting on enough of them to make 'draft and develop' a sustainable strategy. He has failed miserably, and had plenty of opportunities. It is time.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This organization is good at accumulating these bad kinds of statistics:

"Rodgers became the only quarterback to start six consecutive postseasons (2011-2016) without reaching a Super Bowl in any of them"
That is completely ridiculous somebody else did the math and said that our defense has given up an average of 36 points a game in our seven playoff losses with Rodgers at quarterback which is also ridiculous because it doesn't matter how good Rodgers is if the defense gives up 36 points we are going to lose.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Look at all the early picks that have been used to address defense. Clark 1st, Datone 1st, Perry 1st, Randall 1st, Clinton-Dix 1st, Matthews 1st, Rollins 2nd, Worthy 2nd, Fackrell 3rd, Burnett 3rd...I know there are others that have come and gone.

That is just woeful incompetence on the part of Thompson. Every year is a 'draft defense' and every year it doesn't matter. I cannot believe this guy has a reputation for drafting so well when we use high picks on D every single year and yet every single year he still can't assemble a good D.

But look at all the post 1st round picks that have succeeded on offense. Montgomery (3rd), Ripkowski (6th), Adams (2nd), Linsley (5th), Lacy (2nd), Bakhtiari (4th), Tretter (4th), Cobb (2nd).

Couldn't a big part of this be a woeful inability to develop defensive talent?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But look at all the post 1st round picks that have succeeded on offense. Montgomery (3rd), Ripkowski (6th), Adams (2nd), Linsley (5th), Lacy (2nd), Bakhtiari (4th), Tretter (4th), Cobb (2nd).

It's hard to say. It could be both. I guess your best gauge of that would be to see how these guys do after they leave Green Bay. Most haven't done anything -- Worthy, Pat Lee, Terrell Manning, McMillian, etc. Hayward though did have a great year in San Diego.

At this point I'd gut the entire defensive coaching staff and TT and start from scratch on D, while keeping the offense as is.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is why I'd prefer TT to stay as a consultant. He does make some pretty great offensive picks, but he either doesn't know what to look for in defensive players or know what to look for in his staff to be able to develop these players.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really believe that the team rather not win a SB?

You know that's not true... Stop thinking you know how this team reacts to loses.

If some posters knew, half your posts wouldn't happen
There is a difference between the players and front office. While I wouldn't claim to know how the players are going to react to any particular lose, judging the front office by their actions and inactions does give one a good sense about priorities. It's quite obvious that much of Rodger's career has been squandered. His greatness was apparent for all to see over the 8-0 streak. I think it's reasonable to conclude that at least in some franchises it wouldn't be tolerated with season after season of putting poor defenses on the field. Given the broken record nature of seeing the same old hapless defense in the playoffs leading to no changes in the front office, it's very reasonable to conclude a majority of the Packers front office is satisfied with the status quo. That's a shame and I don't think should be defended.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's hard to say. It could be both. I guess your best gauge of that would be to see how these guys do after they leave Green Bay. Most haven't done anything -- Worthy, Pat Lee, Terrell Manning, McMillian, etc. Hayward though did have a great year in San Diego.

At this point I'd gut the entire defensive coaching staff and TT and start from scratch on D, while keeping the offense as is.

I agree on Capers. And it seems that things are moving that direction for Thompson regardless. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned. I think the measure you mention makes the most sense, but yields very little data. Since 2010, there are only 4 top 3 round draft picks on defense that have moved on: Mike Neal, Jerel Worthy, Casey Hayward, and Khyri Thornton.

Neal is out of the league, Worthy is doing nothing in Buffalo, Hayward is an all pro, and Thornton is a reasonable backup.

I think it's probably both.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a difference between the players and front office. While I wouldn't claim to know how the players are going to react to any particular lose, judging the front office by their actions and inactions does give one a good sense about priorities. It's quite obvious that much of Rodger's career has been squandered. His greatness was apparent for all to see over the 8-0 streak. I think it's reasonable to conclude that at least in some franchises it wouldn't be tolerated with season after season of putting poor defenses on the field. Given the broken record nature of seeing the same old hapless defense in the playoffs leading to no changes in the front office, it's very reasonable to conclude a majority of the Packers front office is satisfied with the status quo. That's a shame and I don't think should be defended.
My point is because they don't change doesn't mean they are happy how the season ended..

Look, I'm more than happy if Ted steps down or is fired out. MM is fed up with no help on defense..if this team had an average Def, it goes to SB.

But the front office isn't happy, there are many that have to go to work tomorrow in that building and it will hurt like he'll..

So to be sarcastic or imply they are okay doesn't sit with me

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Neal thing bothers me. He is better than Datone and yet he sat at home all year playing for no one. Why?

Datone was a 1st round pick. If Teddy kept Neal or brought him back in favor of Jones... then he would be admitting he failed with the Datone Jones pick. Which we all know he did...but he'd never admit that l...knowing all the flack he's getting for not putting a good defense together. Which is true.

Can you imagine how bad the Packers would be if San Fran actually drafted Rodgers?? Or someone before Green Bay? I can guarantee you that MM wouldn't be here or Ted Thompson. Rodgers has saved the franchise from looking like the Cleveland Browns because he makes everyone better. Jordy Nelson wouldn't be Jordy Nelson...and Cobb and Adams surely wouldn't be who they are.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, bring back Neal. So he can serve his suspension. Lol. They guy probably weighs 220 or less unless he's still pumping PEDs. It's why he was always injured and why he's not in the league at all anymore

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal made plays here and there. I can't recall a single damn thing Jones has done. He also got suspended for recreational drugs. At least Neal was doing them to win and not just to party.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It disgusts me that we will look back and realize Rodgers was wasted because of this guy. If Murphy doesn't " move" him into retirement, we are...in trouble. The Bears are awful. However Detroit & Minnesota are capable of winning this division. Things aren't getting any easier.

Fans need to plan a boycott for next season. Pick a game. Hopefully they see that fake waitlist shrink. That will wake them up.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to know what Elliot's new title is. You are literally creating **** to keep him here because TT won't go away.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It disgusts me that we will look back and realize Rodgers was wasted because of this guy. If Murphy doesn't " move" him into retirement, we are...in trouble. The Bears are awful. However Detroit & Minnesota are capable of winning this division. Things aren't getting any easier.

Fans need to plan a boycott for next season. Pick a game. Hopefully they see that fake waitlist shrink. That will wake them up.
All murphy cares about is building the vault to house all the money from the titletown district he is building. I kinda hop that blows up on him and them. I liked things the way they were.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans think about this. We have had Favre and Rodgers (arguably the best back to back QB tandem in NFL history) In the last 25 years GB has two Super bowls. IDC About playoff berths, div titles, any of that. In 25 years with 2 top 10 Hall of Fame QB's green bay has only won 2 super bowls and has only been to 3! As a season ticket holder and someone who is a die-hard fan... this is simply not good enough. I am sick of it. I would like to get everyone's thoughts on this. Doing a lot of packer reflecting right now.

Baltimore has 2 with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco.
Eli effing manning has 2 SB's.
The bears got to a SB with Rex Grossman
The SEAHAWKS have been to 3 SB's and won 1.
Since they beat us in SB 32... Denver has been to 3 and won 2. GB has only been to 1 in the same time frame.

TT: has missed so often defensively in the drafts.. it is no wonder our Defensive sucks every year.

Dom - It's one thing if the players are constantly confused ( which they are) but its another thing when the continually miss tackles, DROP INTERCEPTIONS, and are confused about the scheme. Our LB's have been too slow since we had Barnett at middle LB. Our DB's are always confused on the complex schemes that he runs. We have never been able to cover TE's or RB's out of the backfield.

MM: How many times has his playcalling come back to bite us in the ***? Last week at Dallas, he let them come back and tie up the game being down from 18. This was partially due to his conservative playcalling. I can think of multiple games off the top of my head where our playcalling allowed other teams to come back and win or almost win. In my opinion he should have been fired after the Seattle loss in 2014. Inexcusable.

2014 Playoffs against Seattle. (we all know what happened)
2014 vs. Atlanta @ home. Up 31-7 @ half. Won 43-37.
2012 @ Indy. Up 21-3 in 1st half. Lost 27-30.
2016 @ dallas. Up 18. Won on a last second FG.

TT: Simply can't draft Talent. How many DL & DB's has this man drafted that have been busts?!!!

2016 - DT Kenny Clark
2015 - DT Datone Jones
2014 - DB Demetri Goodson
2013 - DT Josh Boyd
2012 - S JERRON MCMILLIAN; LB Terrell Manning; DT Jerel Worthy
2011 - Derek Sherrod OT
2007 - JUSTIN HARRELL DT
2006- Abdul Hodge

TT Drafts

D-lineman - Mike Montgomery, Dave Tollefson, Johnny Jolly, Justin Harrell, Jeremy Thompson, Jarius Wynn, B.J. Raji, C.J. Wilson, Mike Neal, Lawrence Guy, Mike Daniels, Jerel Worthy, Josh Boyd, Datone Jones, Khyri Thornton, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowery.

Where to even begin with this list. I have heard Datone's name called once in 2 years. Kenny Clark flat out sucks, and Dean lowery had one sack all year.

LB - Brady Poppinga, Kurt Campbell, Abdul Hodge, A.J. Hawk, Desmond Bishop, Brad Jones, Clay Matthews, D.J. Smith, Ricky Elmore, Nick Perry, Terrell Manning, Sam Barrington, Nate Palmer, Carl Bradford, Kyler Fackrell, Blak Martinez

AJ HAwk was decent, but not worth a # 5 pick. He whiffed on bradford,palmer, jones, and hodge.
Clay Matthews should be traded. He simply cant stay healthy. The only LB worth a damn on our team is Nick Perry. Kyler Fackrell is by far the biggest disappointment in the 2016 LB class.

DB's - Michael Hawkins, Will Blackmon, Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, Davon House, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, Demetri Goodson, Quinton Rollins, D. Randall,

Tip - How about we stop drafting basketball players?! Quinton Rollins is garbage and D. Randall is way too slow and undersized.

S - Nick Collins, Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver, Aaron Rouse, Morgan Burnett, Jerron McMillian, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Burnett hasn't lived up to the hype. Yeah he can make a big hit now and again but the dude just plain cant cover. Nick Collins was the only stud on this list. Too early to judge DIX ( but so far has not helped the packers secondary much)

Rodgers has 341 sacks in 9 years. Some due to him yes.. but this Oline has been terrible since rodgers came into the league. The O line is very overrated and can never stay healthy. They showed that today.

Taking out that Super Bowl year, Green Bay is 5-7 in the playoffs during the Rodgers' era. In 2014 playoff loss, McCarthy brought in the field-goal unit twice in the first half on fourth-and-1 plays.

Look at the last 18 playoff games. Mccarthy is 10-8 in playoff games with 3 losses in the NFC Championship including 5 games on the last play.Take out the 2010 SB run and green bay is 6-8

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I'm Spoiled I admit it, I own stock in a championship team, but I will wait until the final roster cuts in 2017 to see if the Packer mgnmt is serious about change especially on defense, and I am sure they are aware of these tidbits:
In the past 5 seasons, the Packers have allowed 368yds of offense to Az 26-20 OT loss
397 yds Seattle 28-22 OT loss
381 yds SF 23-20 loss
579yds SF 45-31 loss
420yds NYG 37-20 loss
439yds per game in playoff and Championships games the "D" has given up, Lombardi trophys cant come back to GB like this.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2017 seasons will see the same same management and only a few player changes, only a few..
Yup.
For some unexplained reason the Packers office is comfortable with almost but not quite getting there.
Somehow they think that having a good enough season to get into the playoffs only to blow yet another playoff game is the new Packers legacy.
So don't expect any changes with any of the personal soon.
Sorry to see that TT, McMoron etc are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Members online

Latest posts