Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't know he seems like a guy who overspends. I've seen opinions from many that he overpaid for several guys. Either way, you can put the best tools in the hands of a poor carpenter and you're going to end up with a ****** house. Step one is to get rid of Capers and see what a real carpenter can do with the tools at hand.
It's way harder to retain players in KC then in Green Bay. There were a few contracts he paid too much for but the bottom line is it takes stretching the cap to build a roster that is equal or better then your opponents. Right now we are fighting the fight with one hand tied behind our back.

Goal number one should be to acquire additional elite talent stacking the roster and then goal no.2 is getting a competent defensive coordinator that has schemes and ideas and a blue print that are conducive to style of football played in the NFL in 2018. Right now were lacking both.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goal number one should be to acquire additional elite talent stacking the roster and then goal no.2 is getting a competent defensive coordinator that has schemes and ideas and a blue print that are conducive to style of football played in the NFL in 2018. Right now were lacking both.

I have to disagree with your priorities. You have the cart before the horse here. Like I said before, all the talent in the world is worthless if you don't have a DC who knows how to use them. We have had guys who appeared to be very mediocre under Capers who proved to be very talented under other coaches. That points directly to Capers being the primary problem on defense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I have to disagree with your priorities. You have the cart before the horse here. Like I said before, all the talent in the world is worthless if you don't have a DC who knows how to use them. We have had guys who appeared to be very mediocre under Capers who proved to be very talented under other coaches. That points directly to Capers being the primary problem on defense.

How many times do I have to post I want Capers gone? I'll post it one more time for good measure, "I want Capers gone".

Were getting in the tail end of this thing with Rodgers. We need someone who isn't afraid to pull the trigger and make moves and take some chances at this stage. It's "now time" going into 2018. Rodgers will be 34 coming off surgery. We all want him to play until 40 but that is no guarantee. We don't need another year of Thompson paying it two years forward and trading back to get more picks for some diamond in the ruff he thinks he found. His batting average is going down and trending in the wrong direction. We need someone that isn't afraid to use free agency either. We don't need to go out and sign a bunch of big name free agents but we need to be active and acquire talent that can help us now . Were gonna need another play maker on offense too. I think Jordy's best days are behind him and drafting someone in the 3rd round and developing him over 3 years wont cut it. Thompson will not address all of this during the off season just like he doesn't address all the needs every year. Why would it be any different in 2018?

It's "now time" and "go time". Its not "draft and develop time" as that train has left like many of the others. Those days are long gone.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times do I have to post I want Capers gone? I'll post it one more time for good measure, "I want Capers gone".

Were getting in the tail end of this thing with Rodgers. We need someone who isn't afraid to pull the trigger and make moves and take some chances at this stage. It's "now time" going into 2018. Rodgers will be 34 coming off surgery. We all want him to play until 40 but that is no guarantee. We don't need another year of Thompson paying it two years forward and trading back to get more picks for some diamond in the ruff he thinks he found. His batting average is going down and trending in the wrong direction. We need someone that isn't afraid to use free agency either. We don't need to go out and sign a bunch of big name free agents but we need to be active and acquire talent that can help us now . Were gonna need another play maker on offense too. I think Jordy's best days are behind him and drafting someone in the 3rd round and developing him over 3 years wont cut it. Thompson will not address all of this during the off season just like he doesn't address all the needs every year. Why would it be any different in 2018?

It's "now time" and "go time". Its not "draft and develop time" as that train has left like many of the others. Those days are long gone.

How has that worked out for the Redskins over the last 20 years? Nobody has spent more on free agency than they have in that span.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked Capers, but he only succeeds when TT gets him the right guys. It obviously has worked out only a few times. I think that our defense has plenty of talent. What we have is a DC in Capers that doesn't adjust his defense much to utilize the talent pool. He keeps trying to make them play his defense. It just doesn't work without the right horses. He's got good horses, but just not the right ones for him. For whatever reason, he and TT have never been on the same page.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. If you haven't yet, take time to read many of the existing threads. You will find that you need to up your game here over what the buffoons on craigslist spew. Note - we have a few buffoons too.
Point one about Callahan. He didn't set the world on fire in the preseason either.
Point two: You can't trade for an existing QB after the trade deadline which was a few weeks ago. Pounding that drum at this juncture of the season makes you look naive and drags down the notion of the knowledgeable Packer fan reputation.
As to Taysom Hill, it was a gamble they could get him top the practice squad. He wasn't traded. Pay attention to the team outside of game day. Helps you become a better fan.
As to Capers you won't find many fence straddlers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playoff 8 years in a row was it?

I just wonder what this season would have been like if rodgers, Montgomery, bulaga, bahk didn't get injured.

Clark going down is a nasty problem.... I have a feeling injured reserve for him.

Into the playoffs again, losing before the SB again.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you completely miss the part where we lost the best football player on the planet 5 weeks ago? You can pick ANY offense in the NFL and Hundley would suck just as much. You don't get rid of a GM because of the ineptitude of your backup QB. Get some perspective already.[/QUOTE]

One thing I'm sure that I missed was - whose job is it to have a decent backup QB on the team?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's way harder to retain players in KC then in Green Bay. There were a few contracts he paid too much for but the bottom line is it takes stretching the cap to build a roster that is equal or better then your opponents. Right now we are fighting the fight with one hand tied behind our back.

Interesting. How was that stance determined?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How has that worked out for the Redskins over the last 20 years? Nobody has spent more on free agency than they have in that span.

The Patriots regularly supplement their drafts with free agency and trades and seem to do just fine. The Broncos won a Super Bowl on the back of a free agent spending spree. It works both ways.

Also, the Redskins have had pretty shoddy QB play for most of the last 20 years, not one of the greatest to ever play the game, so it's hardly a comparable situation. On all but the rarest of occasions no matter how much you spend you're still not going to win without high end QB play.

While I'm not advocating for going out and signing every high priced FA just for the sake of doing so, it's becoming pretty clear that the time for playing for tomorrow has passed and a premium needs to be put on the next 4-5 years. Rodgers needs to be surrounded with premium talent and playmakers on both offense and defense for the remainder of his career if he is to have any hope of retiring with multiple Super Bowl wins.

Yes, you're likely going to end up with cap trouble and a full rebuild from the ground up after Rodgers retires -- but until they find their next franchise QB, that's clearly going to happen anyway under the status quo.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots regularly supplement their drafts with free agency and trades and seem to do just fine. The Broncos won a Super Bowl on the back of a free agent spending spree. It works both ways.

Also, the Redskins have had pretty shoddy QB play for most of the last 20 years, not one of the greatest to ever play the game, so it's hardly a comparable situation. On all but the rarest of occasions no matter how much you spend you're still not going to win without high end QB play.

While I'm not advocating for going out and signing every high priced FA just for the sake of doing so, it's becoming pretty clear that the time for playing for tomorrow has passed and a premium needs to be put on the next 4-5 years. Rodgers needs to be surrounded with premium talent and playmakers on both offense and defense for the remainder of his career if he is to have any hope of retiring with multiple Super Bowl wins.

Yes, you're likely going to end up with cap trouble and a full rebuild from the ground up after Rodgers retires -- but until they find their next franchise QB, that's clearly going to happen anyway under the status quo.

It rarely works both ways though. The Broncos are the one exception to a free agent spending spree working well in recent years.

At least they are the only one I can think of. If anyone else knows of others, correct me.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It rarely works both ways though. The Broncos are the one exception to a free agent spending spree working well in recent years.

At least they are the only one I can think of. If anyone else knows of others, correct me.

Not that they have anything to show for it yet, but the Jacksonville Jaguars have built the best defense in football, much of it through free agency with signings of Bouye, Campbell, and Church and now the trade for Dareus. The Jaguars have a ridiculously good defense and should win that division.

Their problem, obviously, is that they still don't have the man at QB and are forced to trot out Blake Bortles every week.

Put Aaron Rodgers on the Jags with that defense and Fournette and they're clear Super Bowl contenders, if not favorites.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about the 3-7 Broncos, who just lost to the Bengals as being the one exception to free agent spending working well? They went all in with their stellar defense and a rented QB. Then the bottom fell out. You need a premium QB to go all-in, but then have the likely possibility that all-in will result in a talent nose dive long before the premium QB is past his prime.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about the 3-7 Broncos, who just lost to the Bengals as being the one exception to free agent spending working well? They went all in with their stellar defense and a rented QB. Then the bottom fell out. You need a premium QB to go all-in, but then have the likely possibility that all-in will result in a talent nose dive long before the premium QB is past his prime.

And I acknowledged that that would be very likely to happen to us down the line as well.

The bottom is falling out on us after Rodgers leaves one way or another anyway. I think it's pretty clear they're not even close to good enough to compete without him. It's not like if they are frugal in the next few years they'll be in great shape to get right back to the top when Rodgers leaves.

I'd much rather do everything we can to try to win another Super Bowl or 2 before the window closes than just stick with business as usual.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And I acknowledged that that would be very likely to happen to us down the line as well.

The bottom is falling out on us after Rodgers leaves one way or another anyway. I think it's pretty clear they're not even close to good enough to compete without him. It's not like if they are frugal in the next few years they'll be in great shape to get right back to the top when Rodgers leaves.

I'd much rather do everything we can to try to win another Super Bowl or 2 before the window closes than just stick with business as usual.

Come on man......have faith in the 3 times is a charm rule! Once AR retires, the Packers will have another FHOF QB playing and not have to worry as much about the other 52 guys! Have faith!! :coffee:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man......have faith in the 3 times is a charm rule! Once AR retires, the Packers will have another FHOF QB playing and not have to worry as much about the other 52 guys! Have faith!! :coffee:

Honestly, it's probably better for the bottom to fall out on us anyway when Rodgers retires. I don't want to be just good enough to be a perennial 7-9 or 8-8 team. Good enough to believe that we don't need a major overhaul, not bad enough to draft in the top 10, and never really going anywhere. (Bills, Dolphins, etc.).

Much as it would pain me, I'd rather take our lumps for 2-3 years, be drafting top 5, and add some premium talent and a franchise QB.

And before anyone says "Cleveland Browns," yes, obviously we will need to scout and draft a little bit better than them. But I have faith that Wolf or whoever was in charge of the rebuild could pull it off better than the worst franchise in the NFL.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that they have anything to show for it yet, but the Jacksonville Jaguars have built the best defense in football, much of it through free agency with signings of Bouye, Campbell, and Church and now the trade for Dareus. The Jaguars have a ridiculously good defense and should win that division.

Their problem, obviously, is that they still don't have the man at QB and are forced to trot out Blake Bortles every week.

Put Aaron Rodgers on the Jags with that defense and Fournette and they're clear Super Bowl contenders, if not favorites.

Again with the, "Put Rodgers on this team and look how good they would be."

It's not that simple, by any means.

First of all, they'd have less cap room to sign free agents.

Secondly, with Rodgers they would haven't Fornette, Ramsey, or any other good players they have picked early in rounds because they wouldn't have been so bad.

Sucking for years and getting high picks and then simply adding a franchise QB is not a comparison to how the current Packers are built.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Secondly, with Rodgers they would haven't Fornette, Ramsey, or any other good players they have picked early in rounds.

If the Packers had sucked for years and selected studs at high picks too, they'd also be much better with Rodgers.

While there is definitely merit with your point, I think BB and the Patriots have shown just how successful a team can be and continue that success, even while picking late in each round. I'm starting to really be convinced that even though TT drafted Rodgers, his drafting abilities aren't as magical as some would want you to believe.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This "window" has been closing for years. This forum has been clamoring forever to go all-in. We'd already be at the bottom had we done that back then. Rodgers is developing a bit of an injury history but is still only 33. He says that he wants to play until at least 40. That's still a long window if he can stay healthy. I'm all for using free agency more but not the all-in approach.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there is definitely merit with your point, I think BB and the Patriots have shown just how successful a team can be and continue that success, even while picking late in each round. I'm starting to really be convinced that even though TT drafted Rodgers, his drafting abilities aren't as magical as some would want you to believe.
True, but one shouldn't base a course of action on an anomaly. Belichik will go down as one of the greatest coaches and talent evaluators of all time.

It would have been a shame if Frazier would have thrown in the towel because Ali was the greatest.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Secondly, with Rodgers they would haven't Fornette, Ramsey, or any other good players they have picked early in rounds because they wouldn't have been so bad.

Sucking for years and getting high picks and then simply adding a franchise QB is not a comparison to how the current Packers are built.

Not really the point Carl, I didn't say it was that easy. You asked for an example of successful free agency and I gave you one. Are you saying we couldn't have afforded Bouye and Campbell?

Ramsey and Dante Fowler are literally the only two pieces of that defense that were high picks. They also drafted Bortles, Justin Blackmon, and Luke Joeckel in the top 5 and Blaine Gabbert at #10.

To imply that they simply built an elite defense because they sucked for years and drafted high is inaccurate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, but one shouldn't base a course of action on an anomaly. Belichik will go down as one of the greatest coaches and talent evaluators of all time.

It would have been a shame if Frazier would have thrown in the towel because Ali was the greatest.

Agreed, but one can also strive to be the greatest as well as learn from the greatest. When people use the Packers draft position, due to their success, as an excuse for their failures, I just don't buy it. If TT had hit on more of his first rounders and 2nd rounders, as well as blended in FA's when needed, this team might be in a lot better position and that is mainly due to #12.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really the point Carl, I didn't say it was that easy. You asked for an example of successful free agency and I gave you one. Are you saying we couldn't have afforded Bouye and Campbell?

Ramsey and Dante Fowler are literally the only two pieces of that defense that were high picks. They also drafted Bortles, Justin Blackmon, and Luke Joeckel in the top 5 and Blaine Gabbert at #10.

To imply that they simply built an elite defense because they sucked for years and drafted high is inaccurate.

You are right the Jaguars are an example of a team that has used FA successfully recently.

Ramsey, a top five corner right now, is a huge part of the defense. It's not just picking at the top of the first round that helps either. Their 2nd rounder hasn't been far away from our 1st rounder many years.

The point is their roster would be much different if they have had Rodgers like us and likely not as good.

Members online