Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Loser mentality. Compare yourself to other losers.
It's truly baffling the number of fans that are okay with winning 10 games and falling short of Super Bowl appearances year after year by having the "only one team out of 32 win the Super Bowl in a given year" crap when we have the best quarterback in the nearly 100 year history of professional football.

What was the phrase that was used earlier....mind numbing? This would certainly qualify.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will you be upset when we get "boat raced" out of Heinz Field next Sunday 40-0 or so? Or will you just blame the whole thing on Hundley and live in this glass world idea that this team is talented?

It's becoming clear that Hundley is going to be the TT apologists scapegoat here when TT drafted his *** and kept him around for 3 years and MM talked him up and called him "his guy" the whole way.
I expect to lose to the Steelers... so no I'm not going to get too worked up about it. However, I don't get my sense of self worth out of what the Packers do. I'm not a Thompson apologist and have stated several times on here that it is time for him to move on. I'm also not going to pretend that everything is black and white... all good or all bad. ALL teams have strengths and weaknesses. Our biggest strength was/is Aaron Rodgers... before him it was Brett Favre. No big surprise there for me. Successful teams usually have great QBs... that list above ... the winning QBs were... Brady, Manning (Peyton) Wilson,Flacco (in a year where he threw for over 3800 yards) Manning (Eli) and Rodgers.... Again I'm not surprised that when going from Rodgers to Hundley that the team is in trouble .

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been a lot of negative posts written lately - shoot, I've written some of them. But if Hundley runs off five straight wins or something like that, we're going to feel awfully silly, aren't we?

Not likely, admittedly.
Still feeling like he can run off 5 wins?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loser mentality. Comparing yourself to other losers.
Frankly if anyone has a "loser mentality" it's those of you that are constantly wanting to throw everything and everyone on the scrap heap because "we" (and I use that term very loosely ) don't win it all every year. Personally I see how close the Packers get each year and hope that they can once again find a way to win it all. Yes some tweaking of the players and coaching staff should be done, but to constantly whine about how everyone sucks and should be fired is simply giving up. I'd call that being a big loser.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's truly baffling the number of fans that are okay with winning 10 games and falling short of Super Bowl appearances year after year by having the "only one team out of 32 win the Super Bowl in a given year" crap when we have the best quarterback in the nearly 100 year history of professional football.

What was the phrase that was used earlier....mind numbing? This would certainly qualify.

It definitely qualifies as "mind numbing" and if a lot of these people don't see the light or if the light bulb doesn't turn on somehow were gonna have the same old dog and pony show next year. Personally I am tired of losing and falling short with the same excuses over and over again. Bottom line is we wont win another Super Bowl with Ted Thompson as GM. Now if they want to keep him around as a scout or as an advisor then great but he doesn't have the skill set to get this team where it needs to be.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I expect to lose to the Steelers... so no I'm not going to get too worked up about it. However, I don't get my sense of self worth out of what the Packers do. I'm not a Thompson apologist and have stated several times on here that it is time for him to move on. I'm also not going to pretend that everything is black and white... all good or all bad. ALL teams have strengths and weaknesses. Our biggest strength was/is Aaron Rodgers... before him it was Brett Favre. No big surprise there for me. Successful teams usually have great QBs... that list above ... the winning QBs were... Brady, Manning (Peyton) Wilson,Flacco (in a year where he threw for over 3800 yards) Manning (Eli) and Rodgers.... Again I'm not surprised that when going from Rodgers to Hundley that the team is in trouble .
Yet there have been teams that have stayed above water without the services of a hall of fame quarterback when said quarterback has sustained an injury or been suspended, including Brady and Big Ben. But for some reason, it should be understood and expected that the Packers can't even make it worthwhile for a late season Rodgers return.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet there have been teams that have stayed above water without the services of a hall of fame quarterback when said quarterback has sustained an injury or been suspended, including Brady and Big Ben. But for some reason, it should be understood and expected that the Packers can't even make it worthwhile for a late season Rodgers return.
no actually it shouldn't ... perhaps you should read some of my Hundley posts ... and my criticisms of McCarthy for sticking with him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Frankly if anyone has a "loser mentality" it's those of you that are constantly wanting to throw everything and everyone on the scrap heap because "we" (and I use that term very loosely ) don't win it all every year. Personally I see how close the Packers get each year and hope that they can once again find a way to win it all. Yes some tweaking of the players and coaching staff should be done, but to constantly whine about how everyone sucks and should be fired is simply giving up. I'd call that being a big loser.

Fish or cut bait. These morons have had 7 years. Not sure how much more time they deserve if any. Nobody is quitting. It is killing us to see this team fall short when it doesn't need to be that way. We love the Packers and want them to reach there full potential and with the current regime that isn't happening. They had every chance under the sun every which way and continue to fail. Time to move on.

#FireTedThompson

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's mind numbing is the inability for you to recognize that this team didn't develop deficiencies when AR went down. When AR went down, all it did was magnify the deficiencies. Many on this forum have alluded to those very deficiencies for quite some time now, while others have either failed to see them or turned a blind eye.

You're also failing to realize that even with AR, the team has not appeared in a Super Bowl in 7 years. Even with the greatest quarterback talent in the history of the league. What does that tell you? This team is way more flawed than simply not having a viable QB.

And the primary issue in the playoffs has been what? DEFENSE. And what is the first step to fixing that? Getting a new defensive coordinator. THAT is where we are at.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fish or cut bait. These morons have had 7 years. Not sure how much more time they deserve if any. Nobody is quitting. It is killing us to see this team fall short when it doesn't need to be that way. We love the Packers and want them to reach there full potential and with the current regime that isn't happening. They had every chance under the sun every which way and continue to fail. Time to move on.

#FireTedThompson

I'm going to reiterate that our woes this season are primarily due to Rodgers injury. That's the simple truth of the matter. Anyone who expects us to be anywhere near as good without him is absolutely delusional. It's that simple. I get that you have a personal vendetta against TT. You have admitted so. Therefore, it's clear that you are not coming from a standpoint of objectivity on the matter. You want every contingency that arises to be his fault, which simply isn't the case. In fact, I'm pretty sure you would rather miss the playoffs than win the Super Bowl if it mean firing TT. Am I wrong? Because I don't believe I am.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And the primary issue in the playoffs has been what? DEFENSE. And what is the first step to fixing that? Getting a new defensive coordinator. THAT is where we are at.

The defense has been a nightmare for the most part but its deeper then Capers. I believe Capers should be replaced as well but if you get honest with yourself he doesn't have the talent to make his scheme work to begin with. Throw in a couple injuries and his defense doesn't have a chance. Thompson is the one that is stacking the personnel on defense and he isn't getting it done bottom line.

Special teams has been a disaster too for the most part and is a very important phase of the game. It can be a game changer either way.

TT has done a decent job stacking the offense. Not great but decent. He has done a good job finding OL talent for the most part and developing that talent but has never really been able to supply Rodgers with the elite weapon he deserves. There has also been a problem finding a consistent run game.

Overall we are the Cleveland Browns without Aaron Rodgers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm going to reiterate that our woes this season are primarily due to Rodgers injury. That's the simple truth of the matter. Anyone who expects us to be anywhere near as good without him is absolutely delusional. It's that simple. I get that you have a personal vendetta against TT. You have admitted so. Therefore, it's clear that you are not coming from a standpoint of objectivity on the matter. You want every contingency that arises to be his fault, which simply isn't the case. In fact, I'm pretty sure you would rather miss the playoffs than win the Super Bowl if it mean firing TT. Am I wrong? Because I don't believe I am.

You are wrong. I would love to win a Super Bowl with TT but I think the chances of that happening are very very small and if Packers ever did it would be in spite of him. I backed TT for most of his tenure in Green Bay but I eventually saw the writing on the wall. Once I saw that and was able to get honest with myself and started to really research his picks for myself and his moves or lack of moves and how he builds the roster I felt duped. We should all feel duped by this Thompson. He has never gone "all in" and continues to play things two years in advance which in the end has led to way more heart break then feel good stories. He isn't a horrible GM. He is just not what the Packers need right now to reach there full potential IMO. To keep him will be more of the same and a roster that isn't equal to most of our opponents which equals more heartbreak.

I stated last spring Im done going "all in" on the Packers until they do and that wont happen IMO until Thompson is gone.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense has been a nightmare for the most part but its deeper then Capers. I believe Capers should be replaced as well but if you get honest with yourself he doesn't have the talent to make his scheme work to begin with.

Here's the thing, Brandon. You're making an assumption. You have no way of actually knowing that until you try another DC. How many times have you seen new defensive coordinators go to a team and turn them around in 1 or 2 seasons with mostly the same players? The actual evidence points to the problem being far more related to scheme than talent. Just in the last 2 years, Hayward has gone and become a stud. Hyde was decent here, but is a stud elsewhere. Peppers appeared to be declining, but he's back to his old self in Carolina. Capers is predictable. He's a fan of playing soft zones. He doesn't like to jam receivers. His blitzes are poorly timed and schemed. He's awful.

When you bring in a new GM, he usually wants his own HC. What you are talking about is re-building. This team doesn't need re-built. It needs tweaked, particularly on the defensive side. Replacing Capers is the first step to that process and it may very well be the only one necessary. Consider this: Rodgers has been with MM his entire career. They compliment each other. He's up for an extension very soon. That's an apple cart you do NOT want to upset. I doubt Rodgers wants to be part of a re-building project at this point.

When you boil this down, you seem to think we should be Super Bowl contenders without Rodgers, and since we're not, you want to nuke the whole thing. It just doesn't add up in any way.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to reiterate that our woes this season are primarily due to Rodgers injury. That's the simple truth of the matter. Anyone who expects us to be anywhere near as good without him is absolutely delusional.
Obviously we're not going to be as good without Rodgers. But I mean we didn't even score a point today. Hundley has been something of a disappointment, but I'm more bothered by the rest of the team. The Vikings are on their third quarterback and they're 8-2. What Rodgers absence has done is exposed the roster, and that's on Ted.

Some teams will collapse when their #1 quarterback goes down, some will thrive (maybe the replacement thrives, like Brady), and some will tread water well enough until the starter comes back. The team should be strong enough to withstand one injury, even if it is Rodgers. And what bugs me most about this is not that we're losing this season, it's that when Rodgers IS here, he isn't being surrounded by the talent that he could be. Thompson's reputation as some sort of genius is taking a serious hit right now, because the roster he has built around Rodgers is not that impressive.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has never gone "all in" and continues to play things two years in advance which in the end has led to way more heart break then feel good stories. He isn't a horrible GM. He is just not what the Packers need right now to reach there full potential IMO.

And where we differ is in exactly what it is the Packers need right now. IMA, they need Rodgers and a new DC.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here's the thing, Brandon. You're making an assumption. You have no way of actually knowing that until you try another DC. How many times have you seen new defensive coordinators go to a team and turn them around in 1 or 2 seasons with mostly the same players? The actual evidence points to the problem being far more related to scheme than talent. Just in the last 2 years, Hayward has gone and become a stud. Hyde was decent here, but is a stud elsewhere. Peppers appeared to be declining, but he's back to his old self in Carolina. Capers is predictable. He's a fan of playing soft zones. He doesn't like to jam receivers. His blitzes are poorly timed and schemed. He's awful.

When you bring in a new GM, he usually wants his own HC. What you are talking about is re-building. This team doesn't need re-built. It needs tweaked, particularly on the defensive side. Replacing Capers is the first step to that process and it may very well be the only one necessary. Consider this: Rodgers has been with MM his entire career. They compliment each other. He's up for an extension very soon. That's an apple cart you do NOT want to upset. I doubt Rodgers wants to be part of a re-building project at this point.

When you boil this down, you seem to think we should be Super Bowl contenders without Rodgers, and since we're not, you want to nuke the whole thing. It just doesn't add up in any way.

I don't expect them to be Super Bowl contenders without Rodgers but I do expect them to not lose 3 games in a row at home and most recently get shut out. I expect them to tread water until Rodgers can come back which I believe he would of. I don't expect them to lose to a losing team at home and get shut out. I also don't expect them with two weeks rest and a healthy starting lineup other then Rodgers to lay an egg on national televised Monday night game. Its not just that there losing but the way they are losing.

I want to get rid of Capers just like you do. I want to keep MM as he has a working relationship with Rodgers. I like bringing in a guy like John Dorsey as GM as I believe he could re-stock the roster and have us on paper where we need to be by next season. We have cap space and draft picks. Dorsey knows how to do it and has Green Bay ties too. I would literally be celebrating for weeks if Dorsey becomes the GM of the Packers. I firmly believe he would have us on our way and it wouldn't be a rebuild situation. Maybe a "re-load situation" which TT was supposed to do last off-season.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously we're not going to be as good without Rodgers. But I mean we didn't even score a point today. Hundley has been something of a disappointment, but I'm more bothered by the rest of the team. The Vikings are on their third quarterback and they're 8-2. What Rodgers absence has done is exposed the roster, and that's on Ted.

Look at their schedule. They hadn't beaten a decent team until the Rams, who also hadn't beaten any decent teams. They aren't built around their QB because they didn't have a very good one in the first place. They're built around their defensive front 7. We are built to accentuate the skills of #12, as well we should be.

Some teams will collapse when their #1 quarterback goes down, some will thrive (maybe the replacement thrives, like Brady), and some will tread water well enough until the starter comes back. The team should be strong enough to withstand one injury, even if it is Rodgers.

The problem is that you don't know what you have until they play in the regular season. I don't think anyone expected Hundley to be this bad. He doesn't recognize where blitzes are coming from. He's afraid to step up in the pocket. As athletic as he might be, he doesn't know when to scramble. He doesn't recognize when his receivers are open. He throws to guys who are covered. He gets tunnel vision on his primary read. His accuracy is spotty at best. When he tries to avoid pressure he does so by running 15 yards backward. I doubt any team would have won with him today. Last week was obviously more of an indication of how badly the Bears still suck than anything else but he was fully exposed this week. We have 3 games to get 2 more wins to make it meaningful for Rodgers to return. Callahan has to be better than Hundley and I fully believe we are capable of beating the Bucs and Browns if Callahan proves to be anything close to average. If we lose the next two then a wildcard becomes nearly impossible. At that point, let Hundley start the rest of the way and take his weekly beating. Hundley will likely be out of the NFL after this year anyway. Should have tried to trade him for a conditional 7th round pick or something when we had the chance. He has no value at all anymore.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect them to be Super Bowl contenders without Rodgers but I do expect them to not lose 3 games in a row at home and most recently get shut out. I expect them to tread water until Rodgers can come back which I believe he would of. I don't expect them to lose to a losing team at home and get shut out. I also don't expect them with two weeks rest and a healthy starting lineup other then Rodgers to lay an egg on national televised Monday night game. Its not just that there losing but the way they are losing.

I want to get rid of Capers just like you do. I want to keep MM as he has a working relationship with Rodgers. I like bringing in a guy like John Dorsey as GM as I believe he could re-stock the roster and have us on paper where we need to be by next season. We have cap space and draft picks. Dorsey knows how to do it and has Green Bay ties too. I would literally be celebrating for weeks if Dorsey becomes the GM of the Packers. I firmly believe he would have us on our way and it wouldn't be a rebuild situation. Maybe a "re-load situation" which TT was supposed to do last off-season.
I don't disagree with all of that.... but good luck bringing in a new GM and keeping the head coach.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What were the circumstances regarding Dorsey being fired in KC? I haven't been able to find anything definitive about that situation but unless it was something major, I can't see why they would have let him go. None of the bottom feeders have picked him up. There must be a very good reason. From what I can ascertain by trying to read between the lines, he seems to have a real problem with following rules and maintaining relationships. The last thing we need is tampering investigations and possible sanctions coming to town. The Chiefs also appear poised for some real cap problems starting next year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't disagree with all of that.... but good luck bringing in a new GM and keeping the head coach.

MM won't run away from Rodgers who is his bread and butter and security blanket and Green Bay is a dream job for Dorsey. I believe if there was one contingency that MM had to stay that Dorsey would take it in a heart beat as Dorsey would be stepping into a perfect situation when you consider roster holdover along with future cap space and draft picks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What were the circumstances regarding Dorsey being fired in KC? I haven't been able to find anything definitive about that situation but unless it was something major, I can't see why they would have let him go. None of the bottom feeders have picked him up. There must be a very good reason. From what I can ascertain by trying to read between the lines, he seems to have a real problem with following rules and maintaining relationships. The last thing we need is tampering investigations and possible sanctions coming to town. The Chiefs also appear poised for some real cap problems starting next year.

I live in KC and Chiefs fans are still upset about losing Dorsey. He got them Mahomes who KC nation wants to start yesterday. He turned a loser into a winner with Alex Smith for pete sakes. The problem in KC was a power play situation between Dorsey and Andy Reid. I don't think that front office was big enough for the both of them. Reid wanted more power. They had quibbles about who should get paid and who shouldn't. A good problem to have when you have a deep and talented roster. You throw Rodgers on that team and start stacking the trophies. Conversely if we had Mahomes right now we would be in the thick of the playoff hunt. The guy is the real deal.

A lot of Chief fans believe Dorsey left because he is pursuing the Green Bay job coming up.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in KC and Chiefs fans are still upset about losing Dorsey. He got them Mahomes who KC nation wants to start yesterday. He turned a loser into a winner with Alex Smith for pete sakes. The problem in KC was a power play situation between Dorsey and Andy Reid. I don't think that front office was big enough for the both of them. Reid wanted more power. They had quibbles about who should get paid and who shouldn't. A good problem to have when you have a deep and talented roster. You throw Rodgers on that team and start stacking the trophies. Conversely if we had Mahomes right now we would be in the thick of the playoff hunt. The guy is the real deal.

A lot of Chief fans believe Dorsey left because he is pursuing the Green Bay job coming up.

I don't know he seems like a guy who overspends. I've seen opinions from many that he overpaid for several guys. Either way, you can put the best tools in the hands of a poor carpenter and you're going to end up with a ****** house. Step one is to get rid of Capers and see what a real carpenter can do with the tools at hand.

Members online

Latest posts