Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there is definitely merit with your point, I think BB and the Patriots have shown just how successful a team can be and continue that success, even while picking late in each round. I'm starting to really be convinced that even though TT drafted Rodgers, his drafting abilities aren't as magical as some would want you to believe.

I agree teams can be successful drafting late.

Just inserting Rodgers on a team who has benefited from high picks though is an unrealistic scenario.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson needs to either go or figure out a new method of team building that accounts for front office losses. His method of building teams was terrific when he had three future GMs on the staff (let's not forget that Woodson was a MAJOR part of the team's success and that was all Schneider). Drafts have been weaker the last couple of years, just look at the state of the personnel on this team, and Thompson is not a guy that's able to compensate for poor drafts with free agency. I'm also a little bitter that this team is willing to throw away yet another year of Rodgers' career by insisting that Hundley has to be the guy and refusing to bring in vets to keep the team afloat.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson needs to either go or figure out a new method of team building that accounts for front office losses. His method of building teams was terrific when he had three future GMs on the staff (let's not forget that Woodson was a MAJOR part of the team's success and that was all Schneider). Drafts have been weaker the last couple of years, just look at the state of the personnel on this team, and Thompson is not a guy that's able to compensate for poor drafts with free agency. I'm also a little bitter that this team is willing to throw away yet another year of Rodgers' career by insisting that Hundley has to be the guy and refusing to bring in vets to keep the team afloat.
I agree with the last statement

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you completely miss the part where we lost the best football player on the planet 5 weeks ago? You can pick ANY offense in the NFL and Hundley would suck just as much. You don't get rid of a GM because of the ineptitude of your backup QB. Get some perspective already.

One thing I'm sure that I missed was - whose job is it to have a decent backup QB on the team?[/QUOTE]

That's not a reason to fire anyone. You can't know what you have until you put him on the field with when the bullets are live. If he's still here next year, then it would be a problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's not a reason to fire anyone. You can't know what you have until you put him on the field with when the bullets are live. If he's still here next year, then it would be a problem.

Randall and Rollins are still here. Hundley will be back for the final year of his contract and it wouldn't surprise me if he is left as the #2 QB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While there is definitely merit with your point, I think BB and the Patriots have shown just how successful a team can be and continue that success, even while picking late in each round. I'm starting to really be convinced that even though TT drafted Rodgers, his drafting abilities aren't as magical as some would want you to believe.
When was the last time Tom Brady was the highest paid player in the league? Over the last 3-4 years I’ve become increasingly suspicious that there might be some of Kraft’s local Boston buddies having side bar conversations with Brady about making sure he truly is the highest paid player in the league. It’s not like the Patriots haven’t operated outside of the box before. Brady is the NFL gold standard both in success and tenure and has been at least tied or the best QB for the entire decade. One would think his compensation should reflect that status?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I'm sure that I missed was - whose job is it to have a decent backup QB on the team?

That's not a reason to fire anyone. You can't know what you have until you put him on the field with when the bullets are live. If he's still here next year, then it would be a problem.[/QUOTE]
What would have happened had Favre got hurt while Rodgers was a rookie or 2nd year player? People here would be making the same comments about Rodgers that they are now about Hundley.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would have happened had Favre got hurt while Rodgers was a rookie or 2nd year player? People here would be making the same comments about Rodgers that they are now about Hundley.

*****.... that's the most ridiculous ASSUMPTION I've ever heard. If you really think that Rodgers is or was in any way comparable to Hundley.. I have no idea how to relate to anything else you may think or say.

Patrick J. Costello

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Failure to make the team better. Failure to utilize the vast resources of this great and rich organization to build, maintain, and strengthen a team with back to back HOF QB’s. The charge is guilty
The arrogance of the leadership that believes MM is a demi--god of coaching and play calling is so exposed now.
I present the NE Pats as evidence of making champions out of average dependable hard working players and coaches.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Failure to make the team better. Failure to utilize the vast resources of this great and rich organization to build, maintain, and strengthen a team with back to back HOF QB’s. The charge is guilty
The arrogance of the leadership that believes MM is a demi--god of coaching and play calling is so exposed now.
I present the NE Pats as evidence of making champions out of average dependable hard working players and coaches.

Agree, except the demi-god of coaching was exposed a long time ago. He's hung on to the coattails of 2 HOF QB's.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remind yourself about Week 13 in 2007. The 10-1 Packers are getting destroyed in Dallas when Favre, playing probably his worst game of the season, leaves the game with multiple injuries. Trailing 30-10 (or something like that), in walks mostly un-tested Aaron Rodgers who helps rally the team back within a field goal. He didn't win the game, but he gave the Packers the confidence that he could step into the starting role in 2008.

Hundley hasn't come close to doing it. Both got their opportunity in Year 3.

Found it: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/sports/30iht-nfl.1.8538999.html
Rodgers started shakily, with the Packers failing to make a first down on the backup's first series. But on their next possession, he led an 8-play, 74-yard drive and threw an 11-yard touchdown pass, his first in the NFL, to Greg Jennings, pulling Green Bay to 27-17 at halftime. Overall, he was 18 of 26 for 201 yards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last time Tom Brady missed a whole season there, they missed the playoffs although it was a season that sparked the whole debate about division winners being automatic playoff berths since the Chargers got in at 8-8 and the Pats missed at 11-5. Point in being though, I've not seen the Pats go without Brady enough, or an awful QB like Hundley behind their center to be able to see what they'd do, but I'm of the opinion their offense won't look so good once Brady and Gronk walk out the door.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*****.... that's the most ridiculous ASSUMPTION I've ever heard. If you really think that Rodgers is or was in any way comparable to Hundley.. I have no idea how to relate to anything else you may think or say.

Well let's not kid ourselves, Rodgers wasn't saving the team back in his early years, although back in those days we were at the end of the awful Mike Sherman era and transitioning under MM's first year so we had a few bumps along the way.

One thing when judging QBs sometimes is to look beyond the numbers and look at their mechanics and everything. Rodgers certainly had question marks there in his rookie and 2nd year. His first meaningful action was in a 35-0 shutout against NE. He kept the course and improved his third year.

I guess we'd probably need all of Rodgers's preseason films and early career struggles to go back and determine whether he was showing potential.

But overall I agree, I think the signs were there that he probably would get it whereas Hundley just looks like a 1-trick pony incapable of leading an NFL offense.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I heard Ted Thompson was offered a trade deal for Hundley back in the draft and turned it down. If that doesn't nail his coffin shut, I don't know what will.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I heard Ted Thompson was offered a trade deal for Hundley back in the draft and turned it down. If that doesn't nail his coffin shut, I don't know what will.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...-nearly-traded-qb-brett-hundley-during-draft/

The deal was on Day 2 of the draft, which almost assuredly means that a 2nd or 3rd round pick was involved.

It's most definitely a mark against Thompson and clearly a very poor evaluation of Hundley's true worth, especially considering their indication that they thought they could get 'much more' than his original 5th round pick spot.

That 2nd or 3rd round pick is now worth nothing. Absolutely nothing. There isn't a team that will give us a conditional 7th for him after this year.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just my opinion; give TT his walking papers and let young Wolf take his place. At least we would have the advantage of a manager who can take advice from his amazing Dad.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...-nearly-traded-qb-brett-hundley-during-draft/

The deal was on Day 2 of the draft, which almost assuredly means that a 2nd or 3rd round pick was involved.

It's most definitely a mark against Thompson and clearly a very poor evaluation of Hundley's true worth, especially considering their indication that they thought they could get 'much more' than his original 5th round pick spot.

That 2nd or 3rd round pick is now worth nothing. Absolutely nothing. There isn't a team that will give us a conditional 7th for him after this year.
Maybe Hundley should start sitting out the anthem. That way he can claim collusion when he can't get a job next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts