Team Needs Laid Out

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats it in a nut shell, our true problems on defense are our front 7, not the secondary. The true strenght of the 3-4 defense is the disguise, thats why I don't like the Hawk/Chillar rotation. It tells the offense what we are doing.

Thats why I would love to see McCain there at the 23 pick.

IMO you have to chose between Hawk and Jolly, they do not complement each other. We have individual talent in our front 7, but I do not think we have the right mix yet.

Thats where if Justin Harrell is able to produce an average good pass rush, Hawk makes sense next year. But if Jolly is our guy, then I think Hawk only hurts our defense and that Chillar would be a better choice for an every down ILB or my rookie McCain.

Yup I completely agree, we need a linebacker who can play coverage and has experience doing just that. This is why I wasn't such a big advocater of drafting DE turning LB's like pierre Paul or Graham. They can definitely rush the passer but they have serious questions when it cpmes to dropping into coverage.

I think you're spot on about the Hawk/Chillar rotation, it gives away too much. Plus I thought the idea of when Mccarthy said that Chillar was a hybrid sagety *** totally BS when he got burned for 2 TD's against the Rams.

I like your suggestion on taking Mcclain if available. Mcclain does have a 3-4 experience under Saban's defense but I feel he's a bit overrated. Mcclain is slow, lacks proper tackling fundamentals and if you lool at his INT's they're mostly tipped passes. Instead take a look at Brandon Spikes' plays, he diagnoses the routes clearly and baits the QB into a proper positopn wjere he can pick off the pass. I understand that the chatacter concerns are there but spikes' coverage abilities are too good to pass up.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup I completely agree, we need a linebacker who can play coverage and has experience doing just that. This is why I wasn't such a big advocater of drafting DE turning LB's like pierre Paul or Graham. They can definitely rush the passer but they have serious questions when it cpmes to dropping into coverage.

I think you're spot on about the Hawk/Chillar rotation, it gives away too much. Plus I thought the idea of when Mccarthy said that Chillar was a hybrid sagety *** totally BS when he got burned for 2 TD's against the Rams.

I like your suggestion on taking Mcclain if available. Mcclain does have a 3-4 experience under Saban's defense but I feel he's a bit overrated. Mcclain is slow, lacks proper tackling fundamentals and if you lool at his INT's they're mostly tipped passes. Instead take a look at Brandon Spikes' plays, he diagnoses the routes clearly and baits the QB into a proper positopn wjere he can pick off the pass. I understand that the chatacter concerns are there but spikes' coverage abilities are too good to pass up.

The only question mark about Spikes is the fact he maybe too slow for the NFL, he was just fast enough in college with his strength and football smarts to be successful. How that translates to the NFL level remains a question mark. OT tackles were posting better 40 yard times at the combine.

With that said and living here in Pensacola, his on and off the field issues are a concern. I believe his stock has dropped badly. If he is there in the fourth or later rounds he would be worth risk.

I don't usually put much stock in 40 yard times as long as they are in rang, when they are not it is of great concern, but speed isn't everything.

On the other hand being so close to Alabama, I have watched them play quit a bit, McCain is the real deal, IMO a special instinctive football player with skills you can not teach, much like Spikes with out all the drama.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only question mark about Spikes is the fact he maybe too slow for the NFL, he was just fast enough in college with his strength and football smarts to be successful. How that translates to the NFL level remains a question mark. OT tackles were posting better 40 yard times at the combine.

With that said and living here in Pensacola, his on and off the field issues are a concern. I believe his stock has dropped badly. If he is there in the fourth or later rounds he would be worth risk.

I don't usually put much stock in 40 yard times as long as they are in rang, when they are not it is of great concern, but speed isn't everything.

On the other hand being so close to Alabama, I have watched them play quit a bit, McCain is the real deal, IMO a special instinctive football player with skills you can not teach, much like Spikes with out all the drama.
Sean Wheaterspoon might be a darkhorse with our #23 pick...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh? I never said TT let him walk... this was an article i found not wrote. Never said my opinion on it.

Which for one is this: QB set. Oline, Needs about 5 new starters. CB's: Set for... 4 more years! We could use a Safety, and some back-ups in CB (maybe we can trade a 4th rounder on that tree stump i read earlier?) and 1 more pass rushing OLB.

other than that, GOD GIVE ME A RUNNING BACK!

Sorry, I didn't mean YOU said it, I was just mentioning what the article said about #4. :-]