Team Needs Laid Out

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Packers draft needs: DB only weak spot on well-built squad

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has taken a lot of heat in recent years, mainly for letting Brett Favre walk.

In the end, he was right. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is a star in the making. But more than that, Thompson does a great job in the draft.

That's why this Packers team is poised to push for a Super Bowl in 2010. Rodgers is the main reason, another one of Thompson's picks.

In 2009, he drafted B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews in the first round. Raji started slow, but showed real promise as the season went on. Matthews went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

Look up and down the Green Bay roster and you'll find Thompson hits just like those. He isn't a big believer in free agency, which leads to criticism sometimes from fans and the media, but he's right.

Building through the draft is the way to go.

The Packers are good because Thompson has stuck to that. That isn't to say they don't have issues -- who doesn't? -- but there aren't a lot of them.

The offensive line struggled early last season, but the return of veterans Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher made it better and both are back again. Even so, Thompson could use a high pick there.

With Al Harris coming off ACL surgery and Charles Woodson getting older, the Packers could also use a corner.

Whatever the position, here's a bet Thompson gets the pick right -- just like he did with the Favre decision.

QB: If there were any doubts about Rodgers before, there shouldn't be now. He showed that he is a franchise quarterback who will be around for a long time. He is a tough guy who knows where to go with the football. Backup Matt Flynn is a decent athlete who has improved as a passer and Chris Pizzoti is the No. 3. Does it matter who's second and third? If Rodgers is down, this team is done.

Need meter: Needs depth

RB: In Ryan Grant, the Packers have a quality feature back. Grant bounced back from a sub-par 2008 season to play well in 2009. He is perfect for what the Packers want to do. He isn't overpowering, but he finds the cracks and creases and he can catch the football out of the backfield. Brandon Jackson is the primary backup and he has been a little bit of a disappointment. They could use help here. Fullbacks John Kuhn and Korey Hall are both good at what they do. Both tough guys can block.

WR: Greg Jennings is one of the better receivers in the league. He is perfect in this offense, a player who can take a short pass and turn it into a big gain. Donald Driver is getting up in the years on the other side, so it may be time to look for a replacement. He's still a good player, but he is starting to slow down. Jordy Nelson and James Jones are two young players who need to push Driver. Look for the Packers to add a receiver at some point in this draft.

TE: Jermichael Finley emerged as a potential star last season. He has the speed to stretch a defense and he can make big plays. His potential is great in this offense. Donald Lee is a veteran backup who can still get open near the goal line. He is also the best blocker of the tight ends. Spencer Havner, a converted linebacker, plays more like an H-back and is also a good receiver.

Need meter: None

OL: This was a major concern in the early part of 2009. Rodgers took a beating but as the season went along, this unit played better. Getting Clifton and Tauscher back really helped. They were both re-signed as free agents and likely will be the starters again, although youngster T.J. Lang could push out Tauscher. Right guard Josh Sitton is one of the better young guards in the league -- he is a keeper. Jason Spitz has played both guard and center, but settled in on the left side. He needs to be better in the run game. Center Scott Wells missed time last season, which forced Spitz to play center. Wells will be back, which means Spitz will battle Daryn Colledge for the starting left guard job. Allen Barbee offers quality depth at tackle.

Need meter: Needs starter (T)

DL: The Packers switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 last season and the line played well. The front three of Johnny Jolley, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins did a nice job in the run game. They don't provide much in terms of a pass rush, but they don't have to do so. Keep an eye on Raji. It will be a shock if he doesn't start because he can be a force. Justin Harrell has been a disappointment after being taken in the first round a few years ago, one of the few misses by Thompson, but he has ability. After him, there isn't much depth.

LB: The switch to the 3-4 meant Aaron Kampman had to make a transition from 4-3 end to 3-4 linebacker. It was a tough one, which is part of the reason he's not back. He signed with Jacksonville. Rookie Brad Jones took over for Kampman when he went down with an ACL injury and Jones impressed. He is penciled in as one starter on the outside. Clay Matthews, who went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie, will be the other. Look for Matthews to be even more of a factor off the edge this season. The inside backers are steady Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk, who played better in 2009. Brandon Chillar is depth inside, whole Jeremy Thompson and Brady Poppinga offer depth outside.

Need meter: Needs starter (OLB)

DB: Age is a major concern at corner. Al Harris, who suffered a torn ACL last season, is 34. Charles Woodson, who was name the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is 33. So the Packers need help there. They can get a couple of more good years from Woodson, but Harris coming off the ACL is a worry. Tramon Williams took over when Harris went down, but he's more suited to be the nickel corner. Jarrett Bush is the top backup. Safety Nick Collins went to the Pro Bowl and remains a good player. His range has improved, which has helped the defense. Atari Bigby is a big hitter who isn't great in coverage. Derrick Martin and Khalil Jones are the top backups.

Need meter: Biggest need

Packers draft needs: DB only weak spot on well-built squad - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Opinions?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, TT has done a remarkable job, but we are far from a team with no weaknesses. If Clifton or Tauscher go down, we're in a huge predicament, we need at least one more pass rusher (no. 1 priority imo), our corners are getting old, we need a safety. There's no rule against signing good F.A.s in addition to drafting players. TT has done this with Woodson, Pickett, and others as well. We are ready to contend for another Championship.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that article while browsing the net. The statement of DB being the only weak spot........is actually a joke......... to me anyhow. Sure....if we want to improve our CB's.........we could replace J. Bush with a tree stump and be better off.

Our offensive line is a Dam with a band aid on it and its going to break at a moments notice.

When it comes to getting pressure on opposing QB's........we need more there too. Sure we can sack Stafford and some other QB's with shaky O-lines.........but we can't touch some of the QB's on better teams. Hell......did we even sack Favre once last year?

I do feel however that those things will get fixed after we draft some good players in a couple weeks.

Ohhh....one more thing.........If someone can tell me that our special teams did not totally suck last year (and not lie).......I'll go shoot myself in the ********

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3irty1, I agree with your original post but TT did NOT let #4 walk. TT smartly made a trade and got a 3rd round pick for him from NY. It was the Jets who let him walk and didn't get squat for him.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers story line next year is the O-line, everything else will take a back seat.

TT has made his living in the draft that goes without question, yet he has had some bad decisions with his first and 2nd round picks. If he was as good as you say with one or two of those picks, the Packers would be much closer to the super bowl.

These selections have not lived up to their billing, Brohm, Harrell, Colledge, and Hawk (5th over all and only played 9 snaps against the lions)

I am not saying he has to perfect every time, but you need to be better than 50% with your 1st and 2nd round picks.

TT saved himself last year, he had a great draft. He does that again and the Pack will be good for years to come.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers story line next year is the O-line, everything else will take a back seat.

TT saved himself last year

I agree with ya on the TT saving himself last year. I think alot of people (including myself) thought he needed to go before last years draft. Then he got Raji.......and traded up for Clay Matthews......which suprised alot of people to say the least. It made some of us doubters say........hmmmm......maybe this guy isn't so bad after all. After he drafted Raji......I walked away from the TV for awhile but had it turned up so I could hear it. Next thing ya know I hear something about the Pack Picking Clay Matthews. My reaction was probably just like many. Could not have called it in a million years.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with ya on the TT saving himself last year. I think alot of people (including myself) thought he needed to go before last years draft. Then he got Raji.......and traded up for Clay Matthews......which suprised alot of people to say the least. It made some of us doubters say........hmmmm......maybe this guy isn't so bad after all. After he drafted Raji......I walked away from the TV for awhile but had it turned up so I could hear it. Next thing ya know I hear something about the Pack Picking Clay Matthews. My reaction was probably just like many. Could not have called it in a million years.

Not to mention Lang and Brad Jones picks, with out their performances during key times in the season we would not have made the playoffs.

I believe Lang and Jones did more than Raji their first years.

I really believe Jones is going to be in the conversation with Mathews next year, a competition on who will have the better stats. Mathews may beat him in sacks, but Jones will have more tackles and INTs.

Yet we have to draft an OLB for depth, we only have 3 OLBs on the roster, Thompson has that neck problem and we lost Kampman.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Lang and Brad Jones picks, with out their performances during key times in the season we would not have made the playoffs.

I believe Lang and Jones did more than Raji their first years.

I really believe Jones is going to be in the conversation with Mathews next year, a competition on who will have the better stats. Mathews may beat him in sacks, but Jones will have more tackles and INTs.

Yet we have to draft an OLB for depth, we only have 3 OLBs on the roster, Thompson has that neck problem and we lost Kampman.
As well as the Quinn Johnson pick. And Underwood might just surprise some too...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As well as the Quinn Johnson pick. And Underwood might just surprise some too...

Ya I hope Johnson takes over that position. His improvement as well as Jacksons continue good pass blocking will go a long ways in helping to protect A-rod.

The only thing that bothers me about Quin Johnson is his pass catching skills, which is key in our offense.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me about Quin Johnson is his pass catching skills, which is key in our offense.

Now that he has learned and has a better grasp of the offense, maybe he can focus on the pass catching skills? It would be nice to see a corner or Safety tackle him. Not that I would actually want to see him get tackled but you know what I mean.....lol

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article, only problem was with this:

OL: This was a major concern in the early part of 2009. Rodgers took a beating but as the season went along, this unit played better. Getting Clifton and Tauscher back really helped. They were both re-signed as free agents and likely will be the starters again, although youngster T.J. Lang could push out Tauscher. Right guard Josh Sitton is one of the better young guards in the league -- he is a keeper. Jason Spitz has played both guard and center, but settled in on the left side. He needs to be better in the run game. Center Scott Wells missed time last season, which forced Spitz to play center. Wells will be back, which means Spitz will battle Daryn Colledge for the starting left guard job. Allen Barbee offers quality depth at tackle.

Maybe Allen Barbee offers quality depth at tackle, but Allen Barbre sure doesn't. Maybe quality depth at D tackle for the other team, he was horrible in his role last year. Hoping on the draft pick to push Barbre down the list until he improves.

OP
OP
3irty1

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
3irty1, I agree with your original post but TT did NOT let #4 walk. TT smartly made a trade and got a 3rd round pick for him from NY. It was the Jets who let him walk and didn't get squat for him.

Huh? I never said TT let him walk... this was an article i found not wrote. Never said my opinion on it.

Which for one is this: QB set. Oline, Needs about 5 new starters. CB's: Set for... 4 more years! We could use a Safety, and some back-ups in CB (maybe we can trade a 4th rounder on that tree stump i read earlier?) and 1 more pass rushing OLB.

other than that, GOD GIVE ME A RUNNING BACK!

OP
OP
3irty1

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Great article, only problem was with this:

Maybe Allen Barbee offers quality depth at tackle, but Allen Barbre sure doesn't. Maybe quality depth at D tackle for the other team, he was horrible in his role last year. Hoping on the draft pick to push Barbre down the list until he improves.

HAHHAA, never even saw that in there. Can't believe your the first to pick that up.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, and I am not convinced on Raji yet. I still think we should have taken Michael Oher. IMO we would be much better off.
I think DL was, and still is, a huge need. We OUGHT TO be able to bring pressure from the middle, while being able to contain the run.

Yes, I agree, he didn't do much his first year. But if he plays like he was projected to, we'll have a mix of Casey Hampton and Darnell Dockett on our team. And remember, D was the reason this team didn't go far.

I still think we should've picked him, and still glad we did. But yeah, hindsight, if Raji doesn't pan out as the impact player we all thought, we'll be sorry for not have picked Oher.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT did definately save himself last year, and I also can't blame him for Hawk. I think almost anyone would have picked Hawk in that spot, he was a "sure thing" everyone said coming out of college. I was thrilled when we got him, and I think most of Packer Nation was as well. But the Justin Harrell pick still baffles me to this day

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT did definately save himself last year, and I also can't blame him for Hawk. I think almost anyone would have picked Hawk in that spot, he was a "sure thing" everyone said coming out of college. I was thrilled when we got him, and I think most of Packer Nation was as well. But the Justin Harrell pick still baffles me to this day

Agreed

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, and I am not convinced on Raji yet. I still think we should have taken Michael Oher. IMO we would be much better off.

Its easy to say that a year later, but since were at it I think we should have taken Brian Cushing.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its easy to say that a year later, but since were at it I think we should have taken Brian Cushing.

I was expecting a little more of an impact from Raji in his first year, he did have that dreaded high ankle sprain.

I think TT really thought he had that ILB position covered, and that this new defense would unleash Hawk's anticipated abilities, though I am well documented about doubts about that.

As a result that position next to Barnett is manageable and deep with depth, but is a weakness that the other teams go after in their passing games.

The defensive line has generate a pass rush to compensate

If we would have known that Pickett could handle the nose position in a 3-4, I think TT would have traded down or chosen another player.

IMO Hawk and Jolly should never be on the field together. Both lack pass rushing skills and Hawks pass defense leaves a lot to be desired. If I am an opposing QB and I see those 2 players, I change the play to a quick pass on their side of the field.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was expecting a little more of an impact from Raji in his first year, he did have that dreaded high ankle sprain.

I think TT really thought he had that ILB position covered, and that this new defense would unleash Hawk's anticipated abilities, though I am well documented about doubts about that.

As a result that position next to Barnett is manageable and deep with depth, but is a weakness that the other teams go after in their passing games.

The defensive line has generate a pass rush to compensate

If we would have known that Pickett could handle the nose position in a 3-4, I think TT would have traded down or chosen another player.

IMO Hawk and Jolly should never be on the field together. Both lack pass rushing skills and Hawks pass defense leaves a lot to be desired. If I am an opposing QB and I see those 2 players, I change the play to a quick pass on their side of the field.
I think that is really the key issue. Both are terrific against the run, but are one dimensional.

We really struggle to bring pressure and cover with them. One of them, with a playmaker on the other position, is very much acceptable. I can't think of a team that has only playmakers.

But two strickly run-stoppers on the field is too much... Add Pickett in there, and it's hard to contain anyone.

Still, it wasn't the reason we lost in the AZ game. NOBODY covered, NOBODY tackled, and NOBODY (except CM3) rushed the passer. It was allways a different player breaking down in coverage...

But if we have a better coverage LB, we don't need to put bush on the field, and we can disguise the defense better. And if we have another pass rusher, we don't allow Warner so much free time.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is really the key issue. Both are terrific against the run, but are one dimensional.

We really struggle to bring pressure and cover with them. One of them, with a playmaker on the other position, is very much acceptable. I can't think of a team that has only playmakers.

But two strickly run-stoppers on the field is too much... Add Pickett in there, and it's hard to contain anyone.

Still, it wasn't the reason we lost in the AZ game. NOBODY covered, NOBODY tackled, and NOBODY (except CM3) rushed the passer. It was allways a different player breaking down in coverage...

But if we have a better coverage LB, we don't need to put bush on the field, and we can disguise the defense better. And if we have another pass rusher, we don't allow Warner so much free time.

Thats it in a nut shell, our true problems on defense are our front 7, not the secondary. The true strenght of the 3-4 defense is the disguise, thats why I don't like the Hawk/Chillar rotation. It tells the offense what we are doing.

Thats why I would love to see McCain there at the 23 pick.

IMO you have to chose between Hawk and Jolly, they do not complement each other. We have individual talent in our front 7, but I do not think we have the right mix yet.

Thats where if Justin Harrell is able to produce an average good pass rush, Hawk makes sense next year. But if Jolly is our guy, then I think Hawk only hurts our defense and that Chillar would be a better choice for an every down ILB or my rookie McCain.

Members online

Latest posts