1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Needs Laid Out

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by 3irty1, Apr 2, 2010.

1. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115

Packers draft needs: DB only weak spot on well-built squad - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Opinions?

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Yes, TT has done a remarkable job, but we are far from a team with no weaknesses. If Clifton or Tauscher go down, we're in a huge predicament, we need at least one more pass rusher (no. 1 priority imo), our corners are getting old, we need a safety. There's no rule against signing good F.A.s in addition to drafting players. TT has done this with Woodson, Pickett, and others as well. We are ready to contend for another Championship.

3. NICKBARNETT

NICKBARNETT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    worth the read but star in the making?? u can say star its ok he started a pro bowl.

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Yeah, but he's not going to be recognized as a true star unless he wins a championship.

Sad, but it's the way the band plays...

5. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    I read that article while browsing the net. The statement of DB being the only weak spot........is actually a joke......... to me anyhow. Sure....if we want to improve our CB's.........we could replace J. Bush with a tree stump and be better off.

Our offensive line is a Dam with a band aid on it and its going to break at a moments notice.

When it comes to getting pressure on opposing QB's........we need more there too. Sure we can sack Stafford and some other QB's with shaky O-lines.........but we can't touch some of the QB's on better teams. Hell......did we even sack Favre once last year?

I do feel however that those things will get fixed after we draft some good players in a couple weeks.

Ohhh....one more thing.........If someone can tell me that our special teams did not totally suck last year (and not lie).......I'll go shoot myself in the testicle

6. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    3irty1, I agree with your original post but TT did NOT let #4 walk. TT smartly made a trade and got a 3rd round pick for him from NY. It was the Jets who let him walk and didn't get squat for him.

7. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    The Packers story line next year is the O-line, everything else will take a back seat.

TT has made his living in the draft that goes without question, yet he has had some bad decisions with his first and 2nd round picks. If he was as good as you say with one or two of those picks, the Packers would be much closer to the super bowl.

These selections have not lived up to their billing, Brohm, Harrell, Colledge, and Hawk (5th over all and only played 9 snaps against the lions)

I am not saying he has to perfect every time, but you need to be better than 50% with your 1st and 2nd round picks.

TT saved himself last year, he had a great draft. He does that again and the Pack will be good for years to come.

8. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    I agree with ya on the TT saving himself last year. I think alot of people (including myself) thought he needed to go before last years draft. Then he got Raji.......and traded up for Clay Matthews......which suprised alot of people to say the least. It made some of us doubters say........hmmmm......maybe this guy isn't so bad after all. After he drafted Raji......I walked away from the TV for awhile but had it turned up so I could hear it. Next thing ya know I hear something about the Pack Picking Clay Matthews. My reaction was probably just like many. Could not have called it in a million years.

9. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Not to mention Lang and Brad Jones picks, with out their performances during key times in the season we would not have made the playoffs.

I believe Lang and Jones did more than Raji their first years.

I really believe Jones is going to be in the conversation with Mathews next year, a competition on who will have the better stats. Mathews may beat him in sacks, but Jones will have more tackles and INTs.

Yet we have to draft an OLB for depth, we only have 3 OLBs on the roster, Thompson has that neck problem and we lost Kampman.

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    As well as the Quinn Johnson pick. And Underwood might just surprise some too...

11. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Ya I hope Johnson takes over that position. His improvement as well as Jacksons continue good pass blocking will go a long ways in helping to protect A-rod.

The only thing that bothers me about Quin Johnson is his pass catching skills, which is key in our offense.

12. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    Now that he has learned and has a better grasp of the offense, maybe he can focus on the pass catching skills? It would be nice to see a corner or Safety tackle him. Not that I would actually want to see him get tackled but you know what I mean.....lol

13. GreenBayCracker

GreenBayCracker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Great article, only problem was with this:

Maybe Allen Barbee offers quality depth at tackle, but Allen Barbre sure doesn't. Maybe quality depth at D tackle for the other team, he was horrible in his role last year. Hoping on the draft pick to push Barbre down the list until he improves.

14. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    Huh? I never said TT let him walk... this was an article i found not wrote. Never said my opinion on it.

Which for one is this: QB set. Oline, Needs about 5 new starters. CB's: Set for... 4 more years! We could use a Safety, and some back-ups in CB (maybe we can trade a 4th rounder on that tree stump i read earlier?) and 1 more pass rushing OLB.

other than that, GOD GIVE ME A RUNNING BACK!

15. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    HAHHAA, never even saw that in there. Can't believe your the first to pick that up.

16. olwig420

olwig420 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree, and I am not convinced on Raji yet. I still think we should have taken Michael Oher. IMO we would be much better off.

17. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    Agreed

18. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I think DL was, and still is, a huge need. We OUGHT TO be able to bring pressure from the middle, while being able to contain the run.

Yes, I agree, he didn't do much his first year. But if he plays like he was projected to, we'll have a mix of Casey Hampton and Darnell Dockett on our team. And remember, D was the reason this team didn't go far.

I still think we should've picked him, and still glad we did. But yeah, hindsight, if Raji doesn't pan out as the impact player we all thought, we'll be sorry for not have picked Oher.

19. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    Dexter McCluster maybe???? I know he is small but we could use a guy like that

20. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    TT did definately save himself last year, and I also can't blame him for Hawk. I think almost anyone would have picked Hawk in that spot, he was a "sure thing" everyone said coming out of college. I was thrilled when we got him, and I think most of Packer Nation was as well. But the Justin Harrell pick still baffles me to this day

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    Agreed

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    Its easy to say that a year later, but since were at it I think we should have taken Brian Cushing.

23. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I was expecting a little more of an impact from Raji in his first year, he did have that dreaded high ankle sprain.

I think TT really thought he had that ILB position covered, and that this new defense would unleash Hawk's anticipated abilities, though I am well documented about doubts about that.

As a result that position next to Barnett is manageable and deep with depth, but is a weakness that the other teams go after in their passing games.

The defensive line has generate a pass rush to compensate

If we would have known that Pickett could handle the nose position in a 3-4, I think TT would have traded down or chosen another player.

IMO Hawk and Jolly should never be on the field together. Both lack pass rushing skills and Hawks pass defense leaves a lot to be desired. If I am an opposing QB and I see those 2 players, I change the play to a quick pass on their side of the field.

24. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I think that is really the key issue. Both are terrific against the run, but are one dimensional.

We really struggle to bring pressure and cover with them. One of them, with a playmaker on the other position, is very much acceptable. I can't think of a team that has only playmakers.

But two strickly run-stoppers on the field is too much... Add Pickett in there, and it's hard to contain anyone.

Still, it wasn't the reason we lost in the AZ game. NOBODY covered, NOBODY tackled, and NOBODY (except CM3) rushed the passer. It was allways a different player breaking down in coverage...

But if we have a better coverage LB, we don't need to put bush on the field, and we can disguise the defense better. And if we have another pass rusher, we don't allow Warner so much free time.

25. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Thats it in a nut shell, our true problems on defense are our front 7, not the secondary. The true strenght of the 3-4 defense is the disguise, thats why I don't like the Hawk/Chillar rotation. It tells the offense what we are doing.

Thats why I would love to see McCain there at the 23 pick.

IMO you have to chose between Hawk and Jolly, they do not complement each other. We have individual talent in our front 7, but I do not think we have the right mix yet.

Thats where if Justin Harrell is able to produce an average good pass rush, Hawk makes sense next year. But if Jolly is our guy, then I think Hawk only hurts our defense and that Chillar would be a better choice for an every down ILB or my rookie McCain.