Taysom Hill

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody really knows what Hill can do until he's given the opportunity. Everything at this point is conjecture. It does seem odd they went with Teddy, but who knows, maybe at the end of the season he leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nobody really knows what Hill can do until he's given the opportunity. Everything at this point is conjecture. It does seem odd they went with Teddy, but who knows, maybe at the end of the season he leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

Technically, you could say this about anyone. I could say that nobody really knows what J.K Scott can do at QB until he's given an opportunity and that it's conjecture to say that he wouldn't be good. Strictly speaking, that's a true statement.

Hill is a gimmick player. He's a very good one because of how athletic he is. Kudos to the Saints for figuring out how to use him. But he is not a quarterback in this league. I wouldn't just gloss over that point about Bridgewater... the Saints needed a QB and did not use Hill. That is a pretty clear statement.

H

HardRightEdge

Technically, you could say this about anyone. I could say that nobody really knows what J.K Scott can do at QB until he's given an opportunity and that it's conjecture to say that he wouldn't be good. Strictly speaking, that's a true statement.

Hill is a gimmick player. He's a very good one because of how athletic he is. Kudos to the Saints for figuring out how to use him. But he is not a quarterback in this league. I wouldn't just gloss over that point about Bridgewater... the Saints needed a QB and did not use Hill. That is a pretty clear statement.
That about hits the nail on the head. What did we see from Hill in his Packer preseason games? A huge hill to climb to get to "NFL QB". Poor pocket presence, skittishness indicating he wasn't sure what he was looking at, poor accuracy, decent arm strength going awry, and the ability to break the pocket and gouge yards. That last ability is the last box to check on a long list. I thought he would have been worth keeping on the practice squad to see where he might go, maybe as a RB, big slot, TE?

Maybe someday an NFL team will decide not to spend money on a QB and play an option offense with a Hill-type QB, throwing 350 times into short read-option-play-action routes and running 650 times, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If there was a Pro Bowl position called "gadget", Hill might be the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

That is not odd at all, not even close.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hindsight analysis on this one is ridiculous. He was a 27 year old, injury prone rookie QB who lacked passing skills. Kudos to the Saints for finding such a great way to employ his skill sets, but cutting him was a pretty sensible decision at the time.
Well said. And IMO the Saints would have been just as successful with or without Hill. TT should have protected him, in hindsight, but it’s not the end of the world. The Packers have more pressing positions to fill - ILB, WR, DL, OT. I don’t think Hill solves any of those needs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That about hits the nail on the head. What did we see from Hill in his Packer preseason games? A huge hill to climb to get to "NFL QB". Poor pocket presence, skittishness indicating he wasn't sure what he was looking at, poor accuracy, decent arm strength going awry, and the ability to break the pocket and gouge yards. That last ability is the last box to check on a long list. I thought he would have been worth keeping on the practice squad to see where he might go, maybe as a RB, big slot, TE?

Maybe someday an NFL team will decide not to spend money on a QB and play an option offense with a Hill-type QB, throwing 350 times into short read-option-play-action routes and running 650 times, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If there was a Pro Bowl position called "gadget", Hill might be the guy.

Additionally, he's already entering his age 30 season and has a long injury history.

H

HardRightEdge

Well said. And IMO the Saints would have been just as successful with or without Hill. TT should have protected him, in hindsight, but it’s not the end of the world. The Packers have more pressing positions to fill - ILB, WR, DL, OT. I don’t think Hill solves any of those needs.
You might as well add slot corner to the list as the roster stands now.

H

HardRightEdge

Additionally, he's already entering his age 30 season and has a long injury history.
I forgot about his age. But with QBs playing longer, that would not have been an issue for the Hill-as-QB proponents. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, I love Taysom Hill, but agree with anyone that says he wouldn't have flourished in Green Bay. MM wouldn't have used him like Payton does, so kudos to the Saints and Hill for figuring out ways to make him a real dynamic wrinkle to a lot of things that they do.

So my question for everyone. If the Saints approached the Packers and said "What would you give us for Taysom in trade?" What would you be willing to give up for him?

I think if you ask a Saints fan that question, the price would be steep. I would give up a 3rd or later round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Personally, I love Taysom Hill, but agree with anyone that says he wouldn't have flourished in Green Bay. MM wouldn't have used him like Payton does, so kudos to the Saints and Hill for figuring out ways to make him a real dynamic wrinkle to a lot of things that they do.

So my question for everyone. If the Saints approached the Packers and said "What would you give us for Taysom in trade?" What would you be willing to give up for him?

I think if you ask a Saints fan that question, the price would be steep. I would give up a 3rd or later round.

Right at this moment? With him being a RFA? I'd give them a 6th I guess?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He has a good chance to end up their starting QB. No way he gets traded for a 6th.

Not sure of how great of a Starter he will be, but wouldn't surprise me if he is an overachiever at that too. But given the choice between having him or Tim Boyle, give me Taysom any day.

I will be interested to see what the Saints have to pay him to keep him happy. That is probably more of a conundrum than trying to figure out his trade value.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put his chances at being their QB of the future right around zero.
Saints have no QB on rolls now.

Bridgewater will look for a starting QB role and not sure if Saints O fits him well. He'll get more as a number of teams are looking for a QB who can deliver from game one.

If they decide to move away from Brees, then Hill is probably their best option now. Unless they trade for a QB high, which I don't see them doing.

I see a 40% chance of him being their QB with other 60% going to Brees coming back.

I reckon there's couple of mid table teams who'll fancy giving him a starting role.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Saints have no QB on rolls now.

Bridgewater will look for a starting QB role and not sure if Saints O fits him well. He'll get more as a number of teams are looking for a QB who can deliver from game one.

If they decide to move away from Brees, then Hill is probably their best option now. Unless they trade for a QB high, which I don't see them doing.

I see a 40% chance of him being their QB with other 60% going to Brees coming back.

I reckon there's couple of mid table teams who'll fancy giving him a starting role.

If Brees decides to hang it up, then the Saints will almost certainly resign Bridgewater to start.

Hill is a gimmick package player. Not a starting QB option.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The right move would be to let them duke it out in training camp for the Qb2 spot. Loser gets traded. Teddy has shown his stripes, he's a game manager but not a great talent. We don't know what Taysom Hill is, but we know he'd put people in the seats.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The right move would be to let them duke it out in training camp for the Qb2 spot. Loser gets traded. Teddy has shown his stripes, he's a game manager but not a great talent. We don't know what Taysom Hill is, but we know he'd put people in the seats.

We do know what Taysom Hill is. He's a 30 year old gadget player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We do know what Taysom Hill is. He's a 30 year old gadget player.

As opposed to the 22-40 year old backup QB that carries a clipboard most of his career. I know which one I would rather have, the guy that is contributing every time he suits up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As opposed to the 22-40 year old backup QB that carries a clipboard most of his career. I know which one I would rather have, the guy that is contributing every time he suits up.

You're talking about two different things. Hill is a gadget player who can contribute each game in package plays. He's not a backup QB. The Saints could not run their offense with him. Hence why he almost never saw the field during Brees' injury absence. So I don't really think it works to say you're rather have one or the other.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're talking about two different things. Hill is a gadget player who can contribute each game in package plays. He's not a backup QB. The Saints could not run their offense with him. Hence why he almost never saw the field during Brees' injury absence. So I don't really think it works to say you're rather have one or the other.

Not sure why you don't think he is a backup QB. Why because the Saints actually had a legit starting QB in Teddy Bridgewater as their backup? Most teams don't have that luxury, nor do they spend $7.2 M on a backup.

I'm comparing him to someone like Brett Hundley, DeShon Kizer, Tim Boyle. If you want to just use Teddy Bridgewater, who I would love to have as my backup QB, as your rationale that Tysom isn't a backup QB, so be it. For my money, I would take him as my backup QB over any backup the Packers have had since Matt Flynn and even after what Flynn showed when he left Green Bay, might take him over him as well.