Tauscher gets reworked contract

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=665764

This happened just before the season opener. It was a modest deal. Tauscher moves from 14th to 9th on the team in terms of salary ranking, and from 37th to 23rd among the 64 starting tackles in the league. The contract still expires after the 2008 season. That sounds about right.

Al Harris has nice things to say about Ted Thompson in this article. I think Thompson learned something from the Javon Walker fiasco, even though I think it was still largely Walker's fault.

I say that at risk of having this turn into another Javon Walker thread. We've gone a few weeks without one of those. I hope I don't spoil our good luck. So I'll end by saying that I hope Tauscher's spotty performance these first two weeks is not due to any sort of complacency. I doubt that it is. But he does need to play a little better.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I won't say he didn't learn from it, but if I recall I didn't hear Tauscher or Harris or Kampman etc *****ing about their contract threatening to hold out trying to force the hand of Ted after just ONE solid season in the NFL on a rookie contract that paid them extremely well.

Javon Walker as I've said many times, is my favorite receiver, but he is the chump in the situation and it is him that should have learned something from that fiasco.

Good on Tauscher, glad he got some extra bucks! :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Harris did complain, but TT was smart enough to lock him up in Packer Prison.
It's one thing to complain, quite another to throw yourself on the floor kicking, screaming and crying like a little kid in a grocery store who wants a candy bar.
If you want to be treated like an adult, ACT like one. It will get you lots more respect that way.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:
Actually Harris did complain, but TT was smart enough to lock him up in Packer Prison.

so did Donald, but it was more internally
I have nothing against a player trying to get the best contract he can for himself, it's the way they do that business that defines them. But hey, Walker got what he wanted by throwing a temper tantrum, so i guess maybe he has the right idea. I just don't know.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is a business. It's the one sports that I don't mind a player holding out in. The contracts are non-guaranteed and the teams can cut the player whenever they want, unlike the NBA and the MLB which have basically guaranteed contracts.

It's sucks to see the ugly part of my favorite sports. I can see why Javon wanted more money though. He's a great receiver. You see guys like Michael Strahan holding out now a days. Strahan has been paid very well in his career, but recently lost half of his money in a divorce. You never really know the whole story behind NFL contracts.

I hope Tauscher steps up his play. I would say Tauscher is definately one of the top 15 tackles in the league when he's at the top of his game. Didn't he go like 5 seasons without committing a holding penalty??

So far, Harris, Driver, Barnett, Kampman, and Jenkins all seems like they're worth the new money TT paid them. Franks looks like he coming around this year.

Let's hope Tauscher steps up his play too.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tauscher's problems are temporary, IMO. He's been a rock at RT for too long not to come back. When he does, some of our OL problems will disappear. This game againest the Bolts is SUPER important in that it could set the tone for the rest of the year. Even if we lose, if it's close and competitive no one will be embarrassed. We're not expected to win but we are expected to fight the good fight. Character, or lack of same, will show up tomorrow.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is a business. It's the one sports that I don't mind a player holding out in. The contracts are non-guaranteed and the teams can cut the player whenever they want, unlike the NBA and the MLB which have basically guaranteed contracts.

It's sucks to see the ugly part of my favorite sports. I can see why Javon wanted more money though. He's a great receiver. You see guys like Michael Strahan holding out now a days. Strahan has been paid very well in his career, but recently lost half of his money in a divorce. You never really know the whole story behind NFL contracts.

I hope Tauscher steps up his play. I would say Tauscher is definately one of the top 15 tackles in the league when he's at the top of his game. Didn't he go like 5 seasons without committing a holding penalty??

So far, Harris, Driver, Barnett, Kampman, and Jenkins all seems like they're worth the new money TT paid them. Franks looks like he coming around this year.

Strahan lost half his money..........geez, now he's only HALF filthy rich. I could live very comfortably off one TENTH of his money. Fact is, even low paid football players make more in one year playing a game, then most people make working their butts off 40 hours a week for several years. So i'm sorry if i don't cry too much for these overpaid atheletes. I know, they get paid what the market allows. So like i said, i don't blame Walker for "WAAAAHHHHing" his poor self all the way to the bank. He never had to work a REAL job, and obviously has a superiority complex. He will never have to face reality though...........lucky him. He will never have to worry about paying next month's rent, or any other "normal" worries. Unless he does like alot of these prima donna's do and ****** away his money.
I wish it was like the 1960's, where these guys had to get REAL jobs in the off season to servive. (I know, it won't happen, but i can dream)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:

so did Donald, but it was more internally

Neither complained to much though. Harris wanted to feel appreciated. I'm guessing Driver the same. You didn't hear them talk about it much to the media or anything like it. They handled their business well and much differently then previous players whom played their position did.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
millertime said:

Strahan lost half his money..........geez, now he's only HALF filthy rich. I could live very comfortably off one TENTH of his money. Fact is, even low paid football players make more in one year playing a game, then most people make working their butts off 40 hours a week for several years. So i'm sorry if i don't cry too much for these overpaid atheletes. I know, they get paid what the market allows. So like i said, i don't blame Walker for "WAAAAHHHHing" his poor self all the way to the bank. He never had to work a REAL job, and obviously has a superiority complex. He will never have to face reality though...........lucky him. He will never have to worry about paying next month's rent, or any other "normal" worries. Unless he does like alot of these prima donna's do and ****** away his money.
I wish it was like the 1960's, where these guys had to get REAL jobs in the off season to servive. (I know, it won't happen, but i can dream)

Well, football players I do feel they deserve it. Other sports, no.

Here's my reasoning. The average football player who even "makes it" only plays 3 or 4 years. He'll often end up with over a million lifetime in hospital bills (which we all know Medicare won't cover). Plus, football takes years off your life. We all know how many football players died prematurely. Two of my favorites were Reggie White and Walter Payton. You're older than they are. Yeah, I still loved Payton even though he was a Bear. Payton was a good man.

Plus, their tax rate is at around 40%, plus they have to pay their agent, their attorneys, their accountants, and their financial planner. At the end of the day, one million a year for four years isn't that much. I guarantee you that there will be quite a few people who read this thread who thirty years from now will have more net worth than your average football player who "made it." Sure, not as much as Michael Strahan, but more than your average football player.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what you mean Zombie.
But as far as them dieing young, wasn't Walter Payton from cancer, and White also died from not football related things? My Dad died at 44, my brother at 43. People from all types of work die early. And neither my Dad or Brother left a few million dollars behind to keep their familys protected. We barely got by.
I know millionaires have bigger expenses, but they make more in the 3 or 4 year carreer then most people who, like i said, work their butts off for 50 years in a stressful job. My Dad was a foreman at a printing factory. He had a massive heart attack at 44. You think his job didn't take years off his life? He would get called in the middle of the night, and have to go down to fix whatever the second or third shift screwed up.
Almost all jobs take years off your life if ANY stress is involved. But very few pay what pro players get.
Plus, if a player went to college and got a degree, whats to stop them from getting a "real" job if they did in fact only last 3 or 4 years in the NFL? They STILL have more opportunities then the average person.
Yes, football is dangerous. As we saw with the horrible injury to the Bills player a few weeks back. But "real" jobs are dangerous too. A man my Dad worked with got his arm stuck in a printing press and had it torn off. Another man he worked with got part of his.......(if you are a man, you know what) torn off when he was leaning into a press to clean the upper spinning drum. There is danger in most jobs. But few pay like pro sports do.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But as far as them dieing young, wasn't Walter Payton from cancer, and White also died from not football related things? My Dad died at 44, my brother at 43. People from all types of work die early. And neither my Dad or Brother left a few million dollars behind to keep their familys protected. We barely got by.
I know millionaires have bigger expenses, but they make more in the 3 or 4 year carreer then most people who, like i said, work their butts off for 50 years in a stressful job. My Dad was a foreman at a printing factory. He had a massive heart attack at 44. You think his job didn't take years off his life? He would get called in the middle of the night, and have to go down to fix whatever the second or third shift screwed up.
Almost all jobs take years off your life if ANY stress is involved. But very few pay what pro players get.
Plus, if a player went to college and got a degree, whats to stop them from getting a "real" job if they did in fact only last 3 or 4 years in the NFL? They STILL have more opportunities then the average person.
Yes, football is dangerous. As we saw with the horrible injury to the Bills player a few weeks back. But "real" jobs are dangerous too. A man my Dad worked with got his arm stuck in a printing press and had it torn off. Another man he worked with got part of his.......(if you are a man, you know what) torn off when he was leaning into a press to clean the upper spinning drum. There is danger in most jobs. But few pay like pro sports do.

No, Wally was a football related death. All the blows to his liver turned it to jello.

No, I agree with you there is danger in all jobs. Heck, my job is ruining my eyesight and giving me carpal tunnel. People may scoff at that, but it's still not fun. Some people with carpal tunnel feel chronic pain. Nothing like having pain all your waking hours.

That's sad about your father and your bro. I definitely see where you're coming from.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

No, Wally was a football related death. All the blows to his liver turned it to jello.

No, I agree with you there is danger in all jobs. Heck, my job is ruining my eyesight and giving me carpal tunnel. People may scoff at that, but it's still not fun. Some people with carpal tunnel feel chronic pain. Nothing like having pain all your waking hours.

That's sad about your father and your bro. I definitely see where you're coming from.
Anyone that thinks carpal tunnel isn't bad doesn't know what chronic pain is. I don't have that, but other things, so i know what you mean. It messes up EVERYTHING you do. Your hands are what you use to eat, to type, everything. So chronic pain there is a 24/7 pain.
I didn't know about Payton's liver. He was a class act for sure.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts