1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Taking a chance on Asante Samuel?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NYPacker, Jun 10, 2010.

1. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
  2. DoubleC4

DoubleC4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    i say why not. but i know people dont want him. i think we need some more veteran playmakers on the team if we want to make a superbowl run...but thats just my opinion

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    He's a FA?

He takes too many gambles, and doesn't support the run.

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    The only way to improve a team is thru the draft.

/thread

5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    It's either 8 or 80?

My point is that we're fine if Harris is able to return, and Underwood is not cut.

But if either one doesn't happen, then I'd like Ted to bring in someone, like I called for last year.

6. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I would be ok with them bringing Asante Samuel in, he's a good corner, takes some chances sometiems that don't pay off, but takes some that do as well... Im worried Al will never be the same and think we need to get another guy in here that can hold down the side opposite Woodson.. I wonder what the asking price would be for him though, I bet it would be quite high

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Asante is the perfect CB for us. Think about it.
    Against Farve, Raper, and Warner last year, our CBs just sat back on their heels, and got beat left and right, all over the field.

Maybe Samuel would get burn jumping a route, but maybe he'd come up with that pick that changed the game, and caused the QB to wait an extra half-second that allowed Matthews or BJ to nail the fuqing Farve for once. Matthews got very very close last year to a strip sack, but because the CB was back on his heels, it gave time for the WR to get right open and Benedict to sling it on time.

I can't stand Farve.
    I'm all for bringing back anyone, Tim Harris, whoever bodyslammed Jim McMahon in 1986, etc. if it means hitting or sacking that grayhaired media-whore.
    Bring Chuck Cecil in and send him on a corner blitz and tell him Farve is the target with our without the ball.

8. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The only reason why I even suggested Samuel and continue to do so is because I'm trying to look at a FA and trades through TT's eyes. Whenever TT wants to get a high quality player it's because they can contribute to your team for the long term. He doesn't want to spend the money on a guy who comes in and contributes for a season or 2, but can be a starter till the day they retire; hence Bigby, Colledge, T Will still unsigned.

Now going back to Samuel's case, I believe he not only fits a need this year but as I see it be a contributor to this defense for a long time. As RS mentioned it you need guys that fit your scheme and I think Samuel does, he was a better fit in NE's 3-4 than Philly's 4-3 bump'n run. With Al Harris & Woodson near retirement, T. Will being a good No. 2, where do you find a long term No. 1 CB? Underwood, Lee are average at best even with their potential. We can certainly find one in the draft, but we still don't know as of yet.

9. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    short answer: NO

long answer: Packers dont need more interceptions, we need lock-down coverage guys. With collins williams, n woodson out there we get enough int's, what we need is someone who is VERY solid in coverage, Samuel is shaky at best.

10. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Fair enough we have enough guys that generate turnovers. Charles Woodson and Nick Collins already do that for us along with a newly added weapon in Morgan Burnett. My question now is, who do we trust for that lockdown coverage guy? Pat Lee, Underwood, Josh Bell?

11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    We didn't generate ANY turnovers against the Cardinals. Or against the Vikings. Twice.
    Did we generate any against Pittsburgh?
    Don't be satisfied with turnovers against Brady Quinn and Josh Freeman and Matt Stafford and Daunte Culpepper and Jay Cutler.

We play Tom Brady this year. Favre twice again. Matt Ryan in Atlanta won't be easy.
    Then in the playoffs we will face Favre again perhaps, and ultimately Manning, Rivers, or Brady.

Samuel makes too money though to bring in, I think.
    I just want competent #4 & #5 CB's.
    And a better pass rush on 3rd & longs.

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I want guys prepared and ready for every defensive call in every game. There was a talk tal Capers backed up, because Bush, Bell and CO. weren't ready to play as Tramon and Harris were.

Well, this time they have a WHOLE YEAR TO BE PREPARED!

If we give 500 yards to any QB in this league, I expect some heads to roll.

I'm backing up EVERY move TT and MM makes. But it better pay off. We're hearing that Lee and Underwood are performing marvelously, but it better translate to the playing field when it counts. There better be someone besides CM3 that can cause havoc.

We know what kind of team we got. The Saints were #26 in D last year. But they weren't RAPED when it mattered. And they had an offense that could score in any snap.

So do we.

This is the year. Every player better be well prepared and have a chip on their shoulder.

Because, even though we're a young team, it's SB or BUST!!!!!!

13. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree with everything you said, especially the SB or Bust part. Now about that quote about the Saints, I read something interesting back on bleachereport. Despite being 26th in D they managed to beat every single elite QB this season with the exception of Rodgers, Rivers and Brees. Favre, Warner, Manning were all SB QBs that fell under the might of the Saints. I would take a 26 ranking any day in order to fend of guys like those.

14. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Green Bay Packers: Studying the Stats #1 - Interceptions | Jersey Al's Packers Blog

He makes a great point. The Saints allowed lots of points and yards, but they got loads of turnovers.

We also had lots of turnovers, but against the elite QBs, we didn't have a single interception...