Studs duds viking game

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett. Absolutely stupid. He was looking to pad his stats rather than help the team.
He wasn't looking to pad his stats. Anyone who has played defense knows that while everything that is done on offense is planned out, nearly everything done on defense is done on instinct. Should he have let it fall? Sure, but I'm not going to fault a guy when instinct takes over. I highly doubt the thought process was, "I know we would have much better field position if I let this one go, but man I really want that extra INT on my stat sheet."

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
How was it stupid? Because it would have resulted in a net loss of 30 yards in field position. He was falling to the ground as he caught it and was going to be down by contact.
Stupid? Yes. Well, at least sort of.

But I'm not willing to say it was self serving. That kind of player just does not do well in GB.

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Burnett INT on 4th down was a mental mistake, but I think it was instinctive rather than an attempt at stat-padding. Didn't matter in any event.

My studs:

Lacy: won them the game.

Rodgers: protected the ball, made a couple plays with his feet, great vision to find the other Rodgers in the end zone. He made a couple of mistakes, too, and could easily have had a pick.

O-line: got Lacy just enough room to break through. Good protection on pass plays. Rodgers generally had plenty of time. The shortcomings in passing game were due to good coverage by the Vikes (including a bunch of borderline pass interferences that were not called).

Crosby: what turned out to be the game winning field goal. What about that short kickoff that gave the Vikes good field position, though? Was that a deliberate thing or just a poor kick?

Nelson: not his usual numbers, but he was being mugged pretty much every play. The offensive hold called on him was rubbish.

Quarless: only two receptions, but they combined for 50 important yards.

Duds:

McCarthy (or whoever up in the booth) for another stupid challenge. Fortunately it didn't burn us, but it was obvious that the call would not be overturned.

Defensive secondary: two completely blown coverages cost 8 points. The Vikes had numerous other receivers open and we were just lucky that a) Bridgewater isn't very accurate and b) there were a couple of drops. The Vikes win that game if they have an accurate QB.

Hawk. I'm usually a Hawk defender and he generally plays well against the run. He looked really bad on a couple of plays, though, and his lack of speed is a major weakness. He was never particularly fast, and he seems measurably slower this year. This is his ninth season, and the physical aspects just start to deteriorate pretty quickly that far into a player's career. He's looked pretty good in several other games this year, though, so maybe he was just having an off day.

Refs. the aforesaid holding call on Nelson was rubbish; particularly when the Vikes did exactly the same thing on a play later in the game and no flag was thrown. Meanwhile, Nelson was getting mugged over and over with PI called maybe once?

The TV commentators. Wow, were they bad. Completely missed some plays, made inane comments and seemed biased against the Packers. Made me pine for Buck & Aikman.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid? Yes.

But I'm not willing to say it was self serving. That kind of player just does not do well in GB.

Eh, I suppose it is impossible to tell if it was stat padding or not. But it came off that way to me. DB's get paid for turnovers and Burnett hasn't a pick in two years. And think about how often this happens with DB's, how often do you see a DB go for an interception on a hail mary rather than just knocking it down? Jennings against Seattle comes to mind, as do other instances.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Yeah, I chalked it up to a mental mistake, but who really knows...
He celebrated it, too, I believe, so either he remained clueless about his mistake or he intended to pick it

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don't remember who it was, but the safety/corner that intercepted the 4th down pass 20-30 yards down field instead of just knocking on down.. That was pretty dudsy.
It ended up coming back on the PI penalty, but still, gotta keep your head in the game.

That was Burnett.

It's all about stats maybe? Had it counted, would have gone on his personal record as another INT.

Edit: Duh, I didn't read all the responses prior to posting the above. Never mind...

D

Deleted member 6794

Morgan Burnett. Absolutely stupid. He was looking to pad his stats rather than help the team.

I don't think that Burnett wanted to pad his stats that was just instincts taking over. No doubt it would have been a stupid play by him if not for the penalty.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
How can you say that with certainty?
How was it stupid? Because it would have resulted in a net loss of 30 yards in field position. He was falling to the ground as he caught it and was going to be down by contact.
Maybe you should consider that in the heat of battle he made a mistake, not that he is stupid and was playing for the film.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yeah, I chalked it up to a mental mistake, but who really knows...
He celebrated it, too, I believe, so either he remained clueless about his mistake or he intended to pick it
Yeah, he got excited and made a mental mistake. I'm sure he was reminded of this on the sideline. The worst I have ever seen like that was at the end of the Chargers Pat's game. guy knocks the ball down and they move on in the playoffs, but not only does he intercept it he tries to run it back and fumbles it away.

Poor Marty, a great coach that could never catch a break.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:

Goodson (the kid who got doinked on the helmet with a punt!) and whoever kept him on the 53 man roster and whoever might have handed him a uniform to put on yesterday!

Refs big time! I thought that Jordy was wearing a purple overcoat until I realized that it was Xavier Rhodes playing crap defense draped all over Jordy!

Not too worried about the closeness of yesterday's game. Our 2nd/3rd stringers on defense got a fair amount of play. Did you see our undrafted free agent Elliott school the Vikings 1st round LT Kalil? Also giving the Vikings credit with an up and coming defense and a coaching staff that doesn't seem to be a bunch of idiots. Makes me pine for the last several coaching regimes!

Members online

Latest posts