Studs and Duds Thursday Night vs the 49ers.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I have a skewed memory, but for years it seems like I hear this statement muttered way too often about an opposing offensive player "This guy is having a career game today."

My thing cut off on me before I could finish typing there. But yeah was going to say this is yet another game where our DC went passive. He's done that several times now, and even if the 49ers weren't ever going to win with our big lead, he's formed a very bad habit with our guys.

Now, as to Richie James having his big game, well .... this may be the anti fantasy football part of me coming out, but I don't really care much about individual players putting up good stats when they lose. I mean if MVS or Malik Taylor went off for like 250 yards receiving but we lost, I doubt we'd be too focused on that.

But, I agree if we don't get in the habit of finishing off these lesser teams, we could be in trouble if we get a lead against a team like Seattle having that approach.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should sign earl thomas... I don’t care about his crap if he plays good then good. If he gets out of line cut him simple as that.. if we don’t the bucs will eventually..

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thing cut off on me before I could finish typing there. But yeah was going to say this is yet another game where our DC went passive. He's done that several times now, and even if the 49ers weren't ever going to win with our big lead, he's formed a very bad habit with our guys.

Now, as to Richie James having his big game, well .... this may be the anti fantasy football part of me coming out, but I don't really care much about individual players putting up good stats when they lose. I mean if MVS or Malik Taylor went off for like 250 yards receiving but we lost, I doubt we'd be too focused on that.

But, I agree if we don't get in the habit of finishing off these lesser teams, we could be in trouble if we get a lead against a team like Seattle having that approach.
If Green Bay some how sneaks by to the super bowl.. “slim chance” what do you think mahomes would do to Green Bay’s defense? I would say the biggest blow out in super bowl history...

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay some how sneaks by to the super bowl.. “slim chance” what do you think mahomes would do to Green Bay’s defense? I would say the biggest blow out in super bowl history...

Lol, funny you even bring up that possibility, and with competitive teams like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Indy and even TEN out there, KC has plenty of work to do themselves to get back there.

In case you haven't noticed, I along with others have been calling out Pettine and wouldn't trust him as far as I can kick a FG. I worry that making and winning one playoff game, or just making the playoffs alone will end up keeping him here as it did for Dom Capers all those years. But at the same time, I don't think anyone really has us in the SB period after this year's draft failed to fill in a lot of holes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I think you missed my point. If I am a 49'er fan I am not saying "Oh man did you see Richie James last night, he is the second coming of Jerry Rice". However, what I am saying as a Packer fan is "Oh man, not again, a basically unknown QB and unknown WR just diced up our secondary for 184 yds, how does that happen?"

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While masks reduce the risk, they don't suddenly give you the super powers of protection or non-transmission. Even if the players wore them perfectly, which they don't (I was watching), that doesn't help them at all when they are playing. I haven't gone back to watch the film, but I assume Barnes was involved in some tackles before he left with an injury. The guys in close contact with him during the tackles are probably thinking that they will possibly next to test positive.
Honestly, that is one reason I think studying it would be beneficial. I would prefer that to your opinion.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In case you haven't noticed, I along with others have been calling out Pettine and wouldn't trust him as far as I can kick a FG. I worry that making and winning one playoff game, or just making the playoffs alone will end up keeping him here as it did for Dom Capers all those years.
Agree

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, that is one reason I think studying it would be beneficial. I would prefer that to your opinion.

LOL....First, I really wasn't giving my opinion, more my observations from last night. Second, I don't think that Green Bay officials or the NFL are in a state of flux and saying "Do we go ahead and study this further or just rely on Pokerbrat's opinion?" :coffee:

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....First, I really wasn't giving my opinion, more that my observations of last night. Second, I don't think that Green Bay officials or the NFL are in a state of flux and saying "Do we go ahead and study this further or just rely on Pokerbrat's opinion?" :coffee:
I was talking about your masks comment. There are a lot of variables.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Aaron Rodgers
Davante Adams (my goodness adams is having a crazy season)
Tyler Ervin
MVS
entire OL
Zadarius
Preston
Gary
Mason Crosby

Duds
Dean Lowery
Josh Jackson
Injuries (good grief way to many injuries Jaire, Barnes, Wagner, Williams)

Demovsky is now reporting that Barnes is also on the Covid list.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was talking about your masks comment. There are a lot of variables.
Of course there are, which was my point of saying that masks don't automatically make you invincible. You made a statement that researches can learn a lot by studying players that get COVID.

The NFL really has a unique opportunity to allow researchers to study these men that get Covid. They are really closely monitored and a lot of info could be gotten about symptoms, transferences, repeats etc. Slam dunk easy.

I don't see what is so unique here or that "slam dunk easy" is the way I would describe the research. You got guys that are taking their masks on and off, wearing them correctly and not correctly. You have guys that are getting tested often, yet are obviously getting themselves into exposure situations before and after tests. These aren't guys living in a bubble. Sure look at it, study it, but what is happening in the NFL is no more unique than a Packing plant, a Whitehouse Garden Party, etc.

Your final comments I assume where about Barnes. Again, what are you going to draw on conclusively from one case? If the guys sitting on his right on the bench don't test positive, but those on the left do, have we learned something?

They could probably come up with some very good info. Even on subjective stuff like "were you talking with others that were not wearing masks or masks around their chins"? Well, they are stuck inside anyway.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashan looked good. Tyler Ervin caught the ball really well. I thought the D played with a lot more intensity. They need to play with that intensity after they have been knocked around a bit by better O lines though. Savage played better. He needs to step it up every game.
I am going to give a dud to LaFleur for not seeing that Fred Warner started following Aaron Jones and adjusting his play calling away from him. And another dud to Pettine for 3 man rushes (we will get killed when he does that against a better QB, especially Wilson) and sometimes putting Preston way back into coverage.
I like Tyler Ervin out in space and not between the tackles.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These sorts of games suck, because the absolute best you can feel as a fan coming out of it is "we did what we were supposed to do."

To the Packers' credit, they did it. And the offense was facing starters on the other side for the most part. The 49ers were without Bosa and Witherspoon, but that's been true for most of the season. But they were also allowing an average of 27 ppg at home coming into this matchup, so it isn't as though they've been particularly strong otherwise.

I think we saw once again tonight that the only realistic way to save Mike Pettine's defense from a running attack like Shanahan's is for the offense to build a lead. Because in the early going, they were getting caved in badly on the edges, and SF was running the ball pretty well. But once they were down big they had to go away from it.

They also had some dreadful breakdowns in zone coverage. I put that partially on Pettine and partially on the talent black hole that exists on the second level of our defense. GB has some players along the front, and they have some guys in the back end, but their second level is just wretched.

Every time I think about the players TT past up and now Gute well, :mad::mad::mad:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
KC defense isn’t all that great either. Would probably be a shootout.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Every time I think about the players TT past up and now Gute well, :mad::mad::mad:

Easy to go there, but don't let it bother you too much. Think about all the fans wishing their teams didn't pass on Favre, Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Bahk, fill in lots of names here).

We can all win the hind sight lottery, but unfortunately , nobody will pay us.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not going to touch the "slim chance" statement as its completely asinine unless no one not named TB in the NFC has better then slim chance right so ill just say "if" GB makes the SB and is playing the Chiefs ill be extremely happy they aren't playing Tennessee or Baltimore (ya know the top AFC teams the Packers match up the worst against) and instead would be playing against the AFC contender that plays into the Packers strengths.

Seriously you couldn't just pick Baltimore here or do you not actually look at the matchups and just went with who you believe is the best team?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Tyler Ervin out in space and not between the tackles.
Ervin did show me some quickness on a couple runs up the middle but SF tightened up pretty good. And of course Ervin aint a number one running back. But he could go on a draw, he looks good on some of those tricky end runs too. But yes, catching the ball is what he does best. I like him running back KOs more than Shepherd but I like Shepherd returning punts.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If Rodgers and the offense doesn’t put up monster numbers like 30+ pts, I have no confidence in this under talented “D” holding any lead..

D

Deleted member 6794

The Saints are 7th overall in DVOA and they beat them by a touchdown on the road.

How on earth is the Saints defense ranked eighth in DVOA while being only 23rd in points allowed???

I haven't gone back to watch the film, but I assume Barnes was involved in some tackles before he left with an injury.

According to official stats Barnes was involved in three tackles vs. the Niners.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: The football gods that turned the 49ers into a semi pro team this week.
I'll just add that under normal circumstances this is most likely a loss so this game pretty much cancels out the Vikings game. 6-2 is really where this team should be.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How on earth is the Saints defense ranked eighth in DVOA while being only 23rd in points allowed???

I don't know an exact answer, but I would guess that a lot of it has to do with strength of opponent.

By offensive DVOA, the Saints opponents rank:
  1. Bucs: 6th
  2. Raiders: 13th
  3. Packers: 2nd
  4. Lions: 18th
  5. Chargers: 11th
  6. Panthers: 12th
  7. Bears: 27th
So five of their seven opponents in the top 13. By comparison, the Packers have only faced three such offenses (the Bucs at 6th, the Saints at 7th, and the 49ers at 9th-- and the 49ers should not count).

Also, the Saints' rush defense is extremely strong, which is going to buoy their overall defensive ranking.

They're also 7th in yards allowed per game, which may suggest to FO that their poor scoring defense is partially attributable to bad luck. They've given up 10 touchdown drives that went for fewer than 60 yards.

That's my best stab at it. But certainly I don't think DVOA is a perfect stat.

Staff online

Latest posts