Steelers turn next week

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It seemed like a perfect game to put on national television at the time. As it is, I think the NFL should have flexed the Saints/Rams game and moved ours up to 1:00.; But if they did that I could not see my team play.

I would be fine if they slid the Packer-Steelers game to the 4 am slot. :coffee:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers #1 RB, Aaron Jones is injured. While having Monty playing again may help the Packers offense slightly, I don't view him as an "Absolute" difference maker. I'm fine with Williams and like that he will have a lot more experience going into 2018.

True Packer fans are able to take our green and gold tinted sunglasses off on occasion and see things for what they really are.
Unfortunately , I agree. My biggest knock on Montgomery is that he can't stay healthy, but I am also of the opinion that he is not that great a running back anyway. Yes, he can provide matchup problems on mid range plays, but he is not reliable enough to have any confidence in him on a consistant basis. He runs too high, is not as elusive as Jones, nor as powerful as Williams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately , I agree. My biggest knock on Montgomery is that he can't stay healthy, but I am also of the opinion that he is not that great a running back anyway. Yes, he can provide matchup problems on mid range plays, but he is not reliable enough to have any confidence in him on a consistant basis. He runs too high, is not as elusive as Jones, nor as powerful as Williams.

Agreed. I think he could be a decent option for the #2 back next year, but the injury thing is a major concern to me as well. With his sickle cell, from what I understood, it takes him longer to fully recover from injuries and that is a tough thing in the NFL when sometimes you are forced to try and play through them.

One thing I know......please stop handing the ball off to either Monty or Cobb on 3rd/4th and 1......doomed play from the start, neither of them can make their own yardage.

Off topic a bit.........but has anyone noticed that Hundley keeps using hands signals behind his back to show the RB which way to run? FOX I believe showed it against the Bears. If this is truly the case....how hard is it for a defense to see Hundley stick his right hand behind his back and know that he can only be pointing to the left. Obviously, this could ultimately be used as an effective decoy, but I noticed it on a few plays against the Ravens and it was same thing...left hand....ran right......right hand....left.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think he could be a decent option for the #2 back next year, but the injury thing is a major concern to me as well. With his sickle cell, from what I understood, it takes him longer to fully recover from injuries and that is a tough thing in the NFL when sometimes you are forced to try and play through them.

One thing I know......please stop handing the ball off to either Monty or Cobb on 3rd/4th and 1......doomed play from the start, neither of them can make their own yardage.

Off topic a bit.........but has anyone noticed that Hundley keeps using hands signals behind his back to show the RB which way to run? FOX I believe showed it against the Bears. If this is truly the case....how hard is it for a defense to see Hundley stick his right hand behind his back and know that he can only be pointing to the left. Obviously, this could ultimately be used as an effective decoy, but I noticed it on a few plays against the Ravens and it was same thing...left hand....ran right......right hand....left.
Lol I missed that.... although I will admit to watching less closely lately... my enthusiasm may be a bit tempered sadly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol I missed that.... although I will admit to watching less closely lately... my enthusiasm may be a bit tempered sadly.

FOX announcers pointed it out and then kind of shut up...maybe they didn't want to tip anyone off? Of course about the only ones who wouldn't see it on the field would be Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder.

But yes, if that is still the case, something isn't right. I mean even in Pee Wee football, we knew better.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FOX announcers pointed it out and then kind of shut up...maybe they didn't want to tip anyone off? Of course about the only ones who wouldn't see it on the field would be Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder.

But yes, if that is still the case, something isn't right. I mean even in Pee Wee football, we knew better.
Lol reminds me of a couple of years ago... my son was playing 6th grade tackle football. The team was having a problem with false starts and just couldn't seem to get the snap count right. So they trotted up to the line... lined up ... and 3 or four of he Boys yelled "ON TWO" right there on the LOS. lol.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Do you realize you can point to the left with the right hand and also not point at all to signify right? Clenched fist maybe? 2 fingers or any other code?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol reminds me of a couple of years ago... my son was playing 6th grade tackle football. The team was having a problem with false starts and just couldn't seem to get the snap count right. So they trotted up to the line... lined up ... and 3 or four of he Boys yelled "ON TWO" right there on the LOS. lol.

I will give Betty Hundley credit....even with his gum chewing, he hasn't really caused our guys to jump but has pulled a Rodgers move a couple of times and gotten the defense to jump, creating a free play.....which he did nothing with. I still think his being called for bobbing his head was an incorrect call.....but maybe it was something verbal, we couldn't hear?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you realize you can point to the left with the right hand and also not point at all to signify right? Clenched fist maybe? 2 fingers or any other code?
Stop pointing out the obvious or I got a finger....oh never mind. But yes.....you are right. Maybe it was just coincidence the times I saw him point, the run went in that direction.

Way to point out the obvious that I wasn't even thinking of .....damn FOX reporters....I blame them for putting the thought into my head.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stop pointing out the obvious or I got a finger....oh never mind. But yes.....you are right. Maybe it was just coincidence the times I saw him point, the run went in that direction.

Way to point out the obvious that I wasn't even thinking of .....damn FOX reporters....I blame them for putting the thought into my head.
Confirmation bias. You only remember the times you were correct.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears beating the Steelers is a great example of "on any given Sunday". The Pack has a chance in this game as most NFL games are decided by a handful of plays. The Steelers are not that good and the Bears are not that bad. This applies to this game. We can beat the Steelers because that football is not round and anything can happen out there. We will have to play our very best and the Steelers will have to play poorly, but that is what happened in the Bear game. There is parity in the NFL. We have a shot.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears beating the Steelers is a great example of "on any given Sunday". The Pack has a chance in this game as most NFL games are decided by a handful of plays. The Steelers are not that good and the Bears are not that bad. This applies to this game. We can beat the Steelers because that football is not round and anything can happen out there. We will have to play our very best and the Steelers will have to play poorly, but that is what happened in the Bear game. There is parity in the NFL. We have a shot.

The Steelers have eight wins. One of their losses was to the NFL's best defense, which gave up over 150 yards by Antonio Brown despite being ranked #1 against the pass. (Most of Jacksonville's points came off turnovers, with two touchdowns by defensive players.) Their loss in Chicago was an overtime game, so they almost won it. I would say the Steelers are as good as their record if they did not almost lose to the Browns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I like your enthusiasm and positivity, as TD Packer pointed out, saying the 8-2 Steelers aren't very good and the 3-7 Bears aren't that bad.....well, I don't know.....Vegas would like you to call them and take the Packers even up. I really don't want to return to the 80's and early 90's Packer teams where I had to keep convincing myself "On any Given Sunday".

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels drives Rothlesberger into the turf breaking his collarbone, Antonio Brown tears an ACL. Callahan comes in and leads the offense to 3 td's. Packers win 21 to 20!!

Last edited:

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you've had one too many shots if you think we have a shot at this one. This is a money game for the Steelers, pad your stats for next years contract.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels drives Rothlesberger into the turf breaking his collarbone, Antonio Brown tears an ACL. Callahan comes in and leads the offense to 3 td's. Packers win 21 to 20!!
Very sad that a Packer fan would want to win that way.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you've had one too many shots if you think we have a shot at this one. This is a money game for the Steelers, pad your stats for next years contract.

Baloney. You are making stuff up just to be a pessimist, obviously. No player goes into a game thinking, "I am just going to see how much money I can earn by killing the pushover opponent." They all know what any given Sunday means.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will have to say this. I have seen bigger upsets that this if the Packers were to win. But a lot of planets have to align. Let's try to be completely objective and look at what has to happen for such an upset to be possible.

First, we need to give up on the idea of going downfield on their defense with Hundley. We need to play the **** and dunk and be content to pick up 6-10 yards at a time on pass plays. Hundley showed against the Bears he can do those things. Some designed bootlegs for him might not be a bad idea either.

Second, we MUST run as much as possible and average 3.5+ to keep the clock running to keep the scoring low to average.

Third, we have to get pressure out of the front 4.

Fourth, we absolutely have to win the turnover battle.

Fifth, we need some big plays on special teams. One or two big plays on ST can completely sway the outcome. A TD return would be great, but even just a good long return that completely negates the punt is a big boost.

If we can accomplish those 5 things, or maybe even just 4 of the 5, then we should be in position to have a close, mid-scoring game down the stretch and with a little luck we could come out on top.

Now lets have some fun and try to quantify our chances (this is purely speculative, of course). I think the odds of us accomplishing those goals are roughly as follows:

#1: 50%
#2: 40%
#3: 35%
#4: 40%
#5: 50%

Multiply them together and we have about a 1.4-2.8% chance of winning, so YES, we can win this game! No, really our odds are probably a little better than that but this was all for ***** and grins anyway!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Love the Pack guys, but in all honestly want to see the Steelers win this game. Puts us in a better draft position and if the Steelers can keep the Pats from having Home field in throughout playoffs, I would love to see another AFC team make it to the championship. So sick of the patriots and their fans. Unless Miami somehow pulls off a W this week, I want the Steelers to win. At least that way I won’t be depressed when the offense lays a goose egg.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baloney. You are making stuff up just to be a pessimist, obviously. No player goes into a game thinking, "I am just going to see how much money I can earn by killing the pushover opponent." They all know what any given Sunday means.
It's a fantasy football me league now, you're crazy if you don't think players are thinking about their stats. In their world stats mean money. The poster child was Jared Allen, piled on the sacks against weak opponents. This won't be an any given Sunday game this is a knife to a gunfight game.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers haven't won in Pittsburg in a very long time. Perhaps if my memory is correct it might be 1970. The other games have been mostly blowouts. With Hundley as the qb I would bet the latter is the more probable outcome.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, this game is going to be amazing for only one portion of Packers' fans (admittedly it's a very large fan base); the fire Capers crowd. The Packers will be without Clark and Matthews (most likely), and might also be missing Kevin King and Morgan Burnett....the offense is a wreck even though MM insists that Hundley is the answer at QB. Putting Hundley in at QB basically ensures that Jordy Nelson might as well be injured because Hundley, for whatever reason, refuses to look to the team's best remaining offensive player, preferring to throw to Adams and Cobb (good receivers, not on Jordy's level). This means the defense will be on the field a lot and people will get plenty of chances to critique the defense while offering no actual solutions to stopping a very good offensive team with exactly one talented defensive player on the field who will be exhausted by the fourth quarter because he's playing almost 90% of the snaps (Daniels).

Before people start clamoring about defending Capers, I fully endorse the entire coaching staff being removed. If just Capers goes, so be it, but that doesn't fix the bigger issue which is the head coach.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Look, this game is going to be amazing for only one portion of Packers' fans (admittedly it's a very large fan base); the fire Capers crowd. The Packers will be without Clark and Matthews (most likely), and might also be missing Kevin King and Morgan Burnett....the offense is a wreck even though MM insists that Hundley is the answer at QB. Putting Hundley in at QB basically ensures that Jordy Nelson might as well be injured because Hundley, for whatever reason, refuses to look to the team's best remaining offensive player, preferring to throw to Adams and Cobb (good receivers, not on Jordy's level). This means the defense will be on the field a lot and people will get plenty of chances to critique the defense while offering no actual solutions to stopping a very good offensive team with exactly one talented defensive player on the field who will be exhausted by the fourth quarter because he's playing almost 90% of the snaps (Daniels).

Before people start clamoring about defending Capers, I fully endorse the entire coaching staff being removed. If just Capers goes, so be it, but that doesn't fix the bigger issue which is the head coach.
With those guys out, I can hear it now:

"Yeah the Steelers might have hung 40 on us, but we were without 'X' amount of starters". Dom off the hook again.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts