Steelers turn next week

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will get demolished in Pittsburgh. So from a coaching/player management perspective, how do you want to take the inevitable beat down? Who starts at QB and what is the game plan?

Option A: Hundley starts. Yes he looked terrible against the Ravens, but some of the mistakes are fixable. Like holding the ball too long and running backwards. Give him another start, build a game plan that involves him running a lot, and throwing down field. If he throws picks on 30+ yard passes it's basically like punting. Better than throwing picks on short balls. Every snap from shotgun, and tell him he's not allowed to back up even a single step.

Option B: Callahan starts. Not because he'll do any better, but you still have some hope for Hundley, and part of his development is learning that he gets benched when he makes bad decisions and plays a really bad game.

Option C: Cobb starts. Because why not? If we're going to get crushed we might as well see something different in the process.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the positive side, the Steelers are not an offensive juggernaut and only average about 23 points a game. For this game I would expect the Packers defense to hold them to less than 28 points if the Packers offense doesn’t turn the ball over leading to easy scores. Defensively the Steelers are allowing less the 17 point a game but I just don’t see this Packers offense scoring more than 13.

So I will go with Steelers 28 - Packers 13 for the final score as McCarthy will be preaching ball security all week and will reign Hundley in with high percentage throws next Sunday night.

Dude, haven’t you watched the Packers long enough too know that you don’t have to be an offensive “juggernaut” to put points up on this defense. Laveon Bell and Antonio Brown might set records on Sunday Night. It wouldn’t shock me at all either.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the positive side, the Steelers are not an offensive juggernaut and only average about 23 points a game. For this game I would expect the Packers defense to hold them to less than 28 points if the Packers offense doesn’t turn the ball over leading to easy scores. Defensively the Steelers are allowing less the 17 point a game but I just don’t see this Packers offense scoring more than 13.

So I will go with Steelers 28 - Packers 13 for the final score as McCarthy will be preaching ball security all week and will reign Hundley in with high percentage throws next Sunday night.
Green Bay ain’t gonna score more than 20 points against any team without Rodgers

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I don't think there is anyway short of a complete meltdown by the Steelers that the Packers win. Could it get ugly? - Yes. I'm just saying that Roethlisberger has just been erratic all year and I could see a pick six by the defense and a couple of field goals by the Packers offense to get to 13. Pittsburgh should still be able to hang 28 on the Packers defense unless the Packers start turning the ball over and create short fields. In my opinion McCarthy gets very conservative to not get embarrassed on national TV. Just checked the line and the Packers are 13.5 point dogs so I don't think I am that far off predicting the Steelers win 28 to 13.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have RBs to stay very conservative. Mayes fizzled fast lol. We basically had 1 horse to ride last game. Jones isn't going to be back and Monty can't finish any game if he's even back.

Packerjohn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers coming off a big win will really not have anything to play for. BH is better then the bears qb and the bears destroyed the steelers. Pack will be playing for pride.
Pack 17
pitt 16

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will get demolished in Pittsburgh. So from a coaching/player management perspective, how do you want to take the inevitable beat down? Who starts at QB and what is the game plan?

Option A: Hundley starts. Yes he looked terrible against the Ravens, but some of the mistakes are fixable. Like holding the ball too long and running backwards. Give him another start, build a game plan that involves him running a lot, and throwing down field. If he throws picks on 30+ yard passes it's basically like punting. Better than throwing picks on short balls. Every snap from shotgun, and tell him he's not allowed to back up even a single step.

Option B: Callahan starts. Not because he'll do any better, but you still have some hope for Hundley, and part of his development is learning that he gets benched when he makes bad decisions and plays a really bad game.

Option C: Cobb starts. Because why not? If we're going to get crushed we might as well see something different in the process.

I'd be ecstatic if Hundley ran forward and threw the ball anywhere. It would be an improvement.

Callahan should only start if he is given this full week of first team reps and prep time. If it is not being reported that Callahan is taking first team reps, Hundley is starting.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
R

Why? We're highly unlikely to win this game with either QB. Why make Callahan take his beating for him? He makes his bed. He sleeps in it.
I agree ...sort of.... but He needs to lead as well.. you can't allow someone to stay on the field and play like that and keep the respect of the rest of the team.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have RBs to stay very conservative. Mayes fizzled fast lol. We basically had 1 horse to ride last game. Jones isn't going to be back and Monty can't finish any game if he's even back.

When is Montgomery supposed to return? I think he is questionable for next week.

Mayes barely played before Aaron Jones got hurt. You probably saw some growing pains.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic if Hundley ran forward and threw the ball anywhere. It would be an improvement.

Callahan should only start if he is given this full week of first team reps and prep time. If it is not being reported that Callahan is taking first team reps, Hundley is starting.

Callahan will not take any first team reps unless Hundley gets hurt in practice.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When is Montgomery supposed to return? I think he is questionable for next week.

Mayes barely played before Aaron Jones got hurt. You probably saw some growing pains.
Mayes never played before this week. Two carries two fumbles, one lost. He won't carry again this season. Rip will get more carries than he does.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayes never played before this week. Two carries two fumbles, one lost. He won't carry again this season. Rip will get more carries than he does.

Were they forced fumbles or careless drops? He probably would have played more if his ball security was not an issue.

I am looking forward to seeing Jamal Williams. He has been decent during his limited time.

Reaction score
I don’t think we’ll get beat as bad as some people think. Football is crazy sometimes bad teams play better teams closer because they mentally expect a tough game.. a TD doesn’t affect their mindset.
Much will depend on several factors though IMO including will Ty play? He’s a good weapon against faster Defenses. Will Morgan play? Will Bulagas replacement play at least C grade or will he give free shots at the QB?
I highly doubt we have anywhere near the Turnovers. That game was a circus of errors that you couldn’t try and recreate, our Turnovers constantly put our Defense in jeopardy and we put up 300 yards of Offense without 1 point. That’s an anomaly.
The Steelers we’re losing to the Colts until 11:00 in the 4th quarter. The Steelers won by 3 and I watched that game.. they got a hot hand all in the 4tb quarter and still barely won. The Colts aren’t that good either my friends.
We’re obviously an underdog. I think the score will be in the area of 31-20 or 28-17 Steelers but I think we score once or twice combined with a FG or 3.
Our best shot is scoring early and converting 3rd downs. Our ST needs to come up big someday, they just seem to exist.
We’re not built for stopping the pass rush playing catch up and Hundley isn’t good enough under pressure yet. He’s green but he’s a tough kid and he’s smarter than many of you give him credit for.
Baltimore is no slouch D, particularly against the D pass and forced turnovers

Last edited:

Meiiko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, just give me some good draft pics for 2018 (TE, CB), a healthy Rodgers and a new defensive coordinator. I don’t see us beating the Steeler’s just hoping to be competitive. I think our defense will give Big Ben some hell based on how they played against Ravens.

Meiiko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't hold the Flacco led Ravens to less than 20 points and now we have to go on the road in primetime against a future hall of fame quarterback with arguably the best back AND best wide receiver in the game. Not to mention the Steelers defense actually ranks 2nd in the NFL in points allowed per game and 3rd in fewest yards per game allowed.

Yeeeeeaaah. This one could get ugly. Would have been a dicey proposition even with Rodgers.
Agreed! Maybe we should follow the Bears lead and just run the ball but for some reason we can never stay dedicated to it.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baltimore is no slouch D

You have not watched enough AFC North games if you seriously think Baltimore's defense is better than the one in Pittsburgh. OK, I know you did not mean that, but if the Ravens had a very good defense everybody would be talking about them more than the Steelers. We lost the game by turning the ball over five times. That was our fault. If Aaron Rodgers was playing, it would have been a blowout the other way.

Members online

Latest posts