Some numbers on McCarthys offensive play calling.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this earlier and it's a great article and only proves the problem has been McCarthy and it's time for him to make changes and stop being so stubborn or start packing his bags

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the exact stuff I was talking in shout box and in threads on Sunday night.

I have also heard a portion of this is some pushback from AR, but that is speculation right now. I'm not sure why he would want less weapons, but would think it has to do with being in shotgun/ pistol.

He seems to prefer it, as (anecdotally for certain. Not gonna go look right now) it always seems like he audibles to a pistol when he moves away from center.

Maybe he thinks this allows him to read the field better, I don't know.

Something tells me this may be a part of that rift between AR and MR we kept hearing about.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's absolutely mind-boggling the team decided to keep seven receivers on the roster but McCarthy mostly uses only three of them in games. The offense should scrap that no-huddle BS and use different formations more often.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's absolutely mind-boggling the team decided to keep seven receivers on the roster but McCarthy mostly uses only three of them in games. The offense should scrap that no-huddle BS and use different formations more often.
Mccarthy likes to build off of last season, and seasons before...he has reasoning for the hurry up that make great logical sense. I dont see the need to change everything just because we obviously under rate a team that went 11-5 and won our division last year...

We lost a close one. Lets take our lump and come back playing better next week, instead of bashing our home grown hall of fame coach and qb...

They lost theit qb and hof rb and still beat us. Its time we come to terms that the vikes are the real deal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect to see more of those receivers as the season progresses. Montgomery must not have recovered very well, i'm very surprised he isn't on the field more. For a young guy that was growing every week, that injury really must have knocked him back.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect to see more of those receivers as the season progresses. Montgomery must not have recovered very well, i'm very surprised he isn't on the field more. For a young guy that was growing every week, that injury really must have knocked him back.
Yeah, I have no idea why he's not out there. I'd much rather see him than Davante.

He looked pretty healthy/good on that punt block though.... :sneaky:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea why he's not out there. I'd much rather see him than Davante.

He looked pretty healthy/good on that punt block though.... :sneaky:
he did, that's what has me confused. he's healthy enough to use, because he's been out there. But, he hasn't seen jack on offense, even in preseason with other qb's throwing the ball all over once he was activated. By all accounts he came across as a very bright, hardworking young receiver and we saw that his rookie season. ANd he was was continuous growth until he got injured. Once he was healthy again, I expected to see him getting worked back in, I still do, but i'm surprised it's taking this long.

I'm not expecting him to have 7 catches and 120 yards a game, but 2-4 catches until this offense gets going. I know he's smart, I know he can work hard, so what's keeping him off the field?

D

Deleted member 6794

Mccarthy likes to build off of last season, and seasons before...he has reasoning for the hurry up that make great logical sense. I dont see the need to change everything just because we obviously under rate a team that went 11-5 and won our division last year...

We lost a close one. Lets take our lump and come back playing better next week, instead of bashing our home grown hall of fame coach and qb...

The hurry up offense isn't working against good defenses therefore I would prefer the Packers to huddle up before plays. In addition it's driving me crazy when the offense has trouble getting a playoff off even while using a no huddle.

Don't fool yourself, McCarthy isn't anywhere close to being a Hall of Fame coach.

bgrice91

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please never call McCarthy a hall of fame coach again. It's insulting to real HOF coaches

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Rodgers, MM and TT would have been gone a long time ago. Look at the drop off in performance in 2013 when the Packers played with a back up qb. Now compare that to a real HOF coach: Bill Belicheck. Brady was lost for the season and the Pats went 11-5 with a mediocre back up qb. Without Rodgers, MM would be a TE coach somewhere and TT would be playing shuffleboard in Arizona

Reaction score
The hurry up offense isn't working against good defenses therefore I would prefer the Packers to huddle up before plays. In addition it's driving me crazy when the offense has trouble getting a playoff off even while using a no huddle.

Don't fool yourself, McCarthy isn't anywhere close to being a Hall of Fame coach.
Not yet. But I would argue if he gets us 1 more SB in the next few years he will be

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Rodgers, MM and TT would have been gone a long time ago. Look at the drop off in performance in 2013 when the Packers played with a back up qb. Now compare that to a real HOF coach: Bill Belicheck. Brady was lost for the season and the Pats went 11-5 with a mediocre back up qb. Without Rodgers, MM would be a TE coach somewhere and TT would be playing shuffleboard in Arizona

This comparison is still being brought up?

First of all, the Patriots weren't down to their 4th QB option like the Packers when their back up got injured the game after Rodgers.

Secondly, the Patriots literally had one of the easiest schedules in NFL history that season. The got rocked by 20+ during the season by three different playoff teams.

Secondly, Belicheck was 5-13 and was also fired from Cleveland before Brady came along, which people either ignore or don't know about. Belicheck was not successful before he had Brady.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pats have looked excellent so far this seasons despite being down two of their best players.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This comparison is still being brought up?

First of all, the Patriots weren't down to their 4th QB option like the Packers when their back up got injured the game after Rodgers.

Secondly, the Patriots literally had one of the easiest schedules in NFL history that season. The got rocked by 20+ during the season by three different playoff teams.

Secondly, Belicheck was 5-13 and was also fired from Cleveland before Brady came along, which people either ignore or don't know about. Belicheck was not successful before he had Brady.

You keep doing this. I think you have a ******* for the Patriots. The Packers accomplishments don't amount to a pimple on the Patriots ***.
As to Belicheck, he's the only coach I'd mention in the same breath as Lombardi. Parcells doesn't have any rings if Belicheck isn't his DC.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You keep doing this. I think you have a ******* for the Patriots. The Packers accomplishments don't amount to a pimple on the Patriots ***.
As to Belicheck, he's the only coach I'd mention in the same breath as Lombardi. Parcells doesn't have any rings if Belicheck isn't his DC.
Exactly.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see a repetitive set as a problems of it's own....as long as it works. Lombardi quote such plays as 'bread and butter" plays and the sweep was his favourite one.

AR and his no huddle offence worked in keeping the defensive line off balance, but now with the problems we are having in offence, I think it's time for a change.

Not that we did something wrong, but we just need to adapt to a new circumstance.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All my point was using that one example of an 11-5 season without Brady is not very good comparison.

It's a fact that Belicheck didn't do well before Brady. That's not a knock on Belicheck though. If you look at almost any of the greatest coaches of all time, they had great QBs playing for them too.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All my point was using that one example of an 11-5 season without Brady is not very good comparison.

It's a fact that Belicheck didn't do well before Brady. That's not a knock on Belicheck though. If you look at almost any of the greatest coaches of all time, they had great QBs playing for them too.
That's a silly argument.

Just like players, coaches improve over time. I don't think one stint with the Browns should indicate that he needed Brady. He's had time to work on his craft. He's a much better coach now than he was with the Browns.

Look at Saban. He had a respectable run with MSU, a solid run with 1 championship at LSU, and now his teams are knocking on the door of another championship each year. It's not just because of a better QB, it's because they are better in all respects, including coaching.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been good, but I wouldn't call winning on a missed FG attempt and nearly blowing a big lead vs. a bad team excellent.

How is going into Arizona with a depleted team and coming out on top not excellent? A win is a win. And then you completely avoid mentioning that Jimmy went down for them in week 2 when they were up big against the Dolphins. Now look at them so far tonight with their THIRD string QB.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please never call McCarthy a hall of fame coach again. It's insulting to real HOF coaches
We have a hof coach willing to play under our head coach. What does that say about what the actual football geniuses think about him???
He coached favre and rodgers his whole career. Has one superbowl. And by the time he is done in gb who knows what he will have accomplished?

Get a clue.

Members online

Latest posts