Some numbers on McCarthys offensive play calling.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not yet. But I would argue if he gets us 1 more SB in the next few years he will be
But polian is a hofer for drafting manning?
Fact is, the gb franchise family tree is huge. Iconic hof qb bring their wrs and coaches with them to canton usually..... Ted and mccarthy will have a 10 or more division titles before its over. Superbowl. Solid contenders nearly every year. Surely more stats to add before its over.

bgrice91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a hof coach willing to play under our head coach. What does that say about what the actual football geniuses think about him???
He coached favre and rodgers his whole career. Has one superbowl. And by the time he is done in gb who knows what he will have accomplished?

Get a clue.

Lol that's pathetic

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great coaches have great playoff records. MM has been mediocre and that's with AR. Far from being a great coach MM would be long gone without AR. I keep bringing up 2013 but the Packers are a last place team 5 -11 without AR. Packers keep making the same mistakes over and over and over again. Just look at short yardage for example. Packers can't figure out third and short. Every year they get thrashed on short yardage runs. It's pathetic. Another problem area that doesn't ever get fixed is their crazy ability to give up big plays on third and long. MM just doesn't adapt when he needs to. He stubbornly adheres to predictable schemes and now we are seeing the results. The entire offense has declined over the 15 games and it's not just because Jordy was injured.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a hof coach willing to play under our head coach. What does that say about what the actual football geniuses think about him???
He coached favre and rodgers his whole career. Has one superbowl. And by the time he is done in gb who knows what he will have accomplished?

Get a clue.

First, thanks for keeping things lively in the forum. Haven't gotten halfway through this morning, but if it wasn't for you fending off everyone else, I could have been done long ago. :)

Next, I'm not sure if I want to respond because I just don't understand some of the above. Who is the HOF coach willing to play under our head coach? Need to know that before replying to your question.

Next, having coached HOF QBs his whole GB tenure and having one SB is what most of us Negative Nancys (Nellies?) maintain is the single biggest knock on the guy.

Finally, nobody knows what he'll have by the time he's done in GB (or when that will be). If he managed to tack on a few more Lombardis, all will be forgiven.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree on us needing to move away from the no huddle. It was great when we were able to use it to keep the D off balance and not rest their guys/ rotate in and out of the game. The problem as others have pointed out is it is gimmicky now.

We run this like an offensive play, hoping the D allows us a shot at free yards. The problem is we are so focused on catching them that when it doesnt work, we usually are moving fast against our own playclock to get lined up and get the snap off. Then we are out of sync, or waste a TO.

This has led to a LOT of wasted drives. Lots of 3 and outs. Use it, but like a 4th down or fake punt, use it sparingly. Using it the way we are now adds a layer of predictability to our offense, which most recently has been advantage defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely agree on us needing to move away from the no huddle.

We run this like an offensive play, hoping the D allows us a shot at free yards. The problem is we are so focused on catching them that when it doesnt work, we usually are moving fast against our own playclock to get lined up and get the snap off. Then we are out of sync, or waste a TO.

Using it the way we are now adds a layer of predictability to our offense, which most recently has been advantage defense.

I would be fine with the Packers using a no huddle, hurry up offense to increase the tempo. It doesn't make any sense as long as Rodgers doesn't snap the ball with under five seconds on the play clock though. In this case I would prefer the offense to huddle up, call a play and execute it, especially on the road.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can put all these things under a microscope and dissect them, and for me the bottom line is MM has no answers. There should be a coaching change after this season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched Stanford beat UCLA and when UCLA had the ball the last time I could not help thinking..."don't do what McCarthy would do. But they did. Yeah they got one big 1st down on a run. But that was not holding on to the ball long enough to win.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM doesn't not know how to use a tight end. That is why this team is stuck in mediocrity. Holmgren was a master at using the tight end to burn teams down the middle. Too many passes on the outside that go for incompletions. Way too many 3rd down attempts. Their goal should be to get 1st downs on 2 downs, not always be in 3rd and longs.

D

Deleted member 6794

MM doesn't not know how to use a tight end. That is why this team is stuck in mediocrity. Holmgren was a master at using the tight end to burn teams down the middle. Too many passes on the outside that go for incompletions. Way too many 3rd down attempts. Their goal should be to get 1st downs on 2 downs, not always be in 3rd and longs.

Finley was the focal point of the Packers offense early in the 2010 season catching 21 balls for 301 yards in only four games. McCarthy knows how to successfully use a tight end but unfortunately the team hasn't had a lot of talent at the position over the last few years.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers using a no huddle, hurry up offense to increase the tempo. It doesn't make any sense as long as Rodgers doesn't snap the ball with under five seconds on the play clock though. In this case I would prefer the offense to huddle up, call a play and execute it, especially on the road.

Why does it not make sense? The point of the hurry up is to prevent the defense from substituting. If the Packers line up on offense and then sit there for 20 seconds, the defense can't substitute so the purpose has been accomplished.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just like to see McCarthy do SOMETHING different on offense to change things up. It's been a year and the team just keeps doing the same thing and getting the same poor results. At what point does the team realize that the offense needs some help?

Fans complain that it's Rodgers that's suddenly ******** up but could it just be that Rodgers is being forced to press to compensate for an offensive system that doesn't help make anything easy on him or the receivers? For some reason people think an offensive system that relies on receivers winning one-on-one is good offensive system...it's not.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why does it not make sense? The point of the hurry up is to prevent the defense from substituting. If the Packers line up on offense and then sit there for 20 seconds, the defense can't substitute so the purpose has been accomplished.

I don't care about the defense being able to substitute. The Packers offense has to start getting more creative by using different formations and plays.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is going into Arizona with a depleted team and coming out on top not excellent? A win is a win. And then you completely avoid mentioning that Jimmy went down for them in week 2 when they were up big against the Dolphins. Now look at them so far tonight with their THIRD string QB.

That win over Arizona the Pats got all the sudden doesn't look impressive anymore. Cardinals look bad right now.

Reaction score
On one hand, I understand the argument that MM hasn't had the degree of success that is expected under a QB that is arguably one of the greatest ever. If you put a comparable QB like Joe Montana out there for 10 years and only Had 1 SB appearance I'd say that's a valid argument. His success may not be Quite HOF but as far as a respected football brain? he's no slouch either.
I think bringing a new group of coaches with a different philosophy wouldn't necessarily give us immediate results, even if they were better playing the odds etc.. It would delay any improvement 2-3 years at best until they congeal, Meanwhile Aaron isn't getting any younger. If Aaron hadn't sat on the bench for 3 years we might very well be talking options for replacing MM while AR was in his late 20's
IMO, I think at this juncture MM is our best hand so I'm sitting pat. I understand that some people want to discard most of their hand and take new cards, but the grass isn't always greener.
I think we are a few tweeks away from righting this ship. Especially if we get this D backfield playing at a top 10-15 level or so.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about the defense being able to substitute. The Packers offense has to start getting more creative by using different formations and plays.

And that's not what I was commenting on...I also think the offensive coaching staff needs to get FAR more creative, i think i've been fairly transparent on that point.

D

Deleted member 6794

On one hand, I understand the argument that MM hasn't had the degree of success that is expected under a QB that is arguably one of the greatest ever. If you put a comparable QB like Joe Montana out there for 10 years and only Had 1 SB appearance I'd say that's a valid argument. His success may not be Quite HOF but as far as a respected football brain? he's no slouch either.
I think bringing a new group of coaches with a different philosophy wouldn't necessarily give us immediate results, even if they were better playing the odds etc.. It would delay any improvement 2-3 years at best until they congeal, Meanwhile Aaron isn't getting any younger. If Aaron hadn't sat on the bench for 3 years we might very well be talking options for replacing MM while AR was in his late 20's
IMO, I think at this juncture MM is our best hand so I'm sitting pat. I understand that some people want to discard most of their hand and take new cards, but the grass isn't always greener.
I think we are a few tweeks away from righting this ship. Especially if we get this D backfield playing at a top 10-15 level or so.

There's no doubt McCarthy should be respected as a very good offensive coach but if the Packers once again struggle against top defenses the rest of this season the front office might have to consider making some changes. But even in that case changing the offensive coordinator as well as getting rid of Clements would be a possibility.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For a guy who's supposed to be such an offensive genius, and who's now in his 11th season as HC here, why Are we still having these conversations.