So has Hawk earned his money for next year?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Has he earned his $10M for next year or is he trade bait and history after this season?

Personally, the guy is playing GREAT this year. Where has it been all this time? Could it be he fits in a 3-4 perfectly? Has he taken Barnett's starting job?

I really want to see him back next year.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say pay him.. We are good with the cap right? we should still be able to sign jenkins and some others.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted has always been good about keeping Green Bay FAs in Green Bay. Him, barnett, and bishop will be a nice rotation next year. Our linebackers are definitely the strong spot on this team.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, an interesting stat. AJ Hawk is officially the league leader in INTs for any linebacker position this season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He really showed up this year..

But 10 mill? I think they will try to re-do it to a lesser amount but a big signing bonus

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? He is the leads the league for LB's for INT's?

Yeah, I think you're right that they will probably re-do his contract.

That is assuming he wants to stay in Green Bay which i think he does. I have a hard time seeing anyone else valuing him higher than we do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is odd....He was just being average if not BELOW average before the trade talks started..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk plays the same position as Barnett. The exact same. Together they don't play well. Hawk plays better when he's the playcaler and the leader, when he lines up to the left, with a bigger bodied DE in Pickett.

I don't know if you keep Hawk and Barnett. Though problem.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well if we must get rid of one I say keep hawk. hes younger and coming on playing as good as barnett and maybe even better next year.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ONLY problem I've ever had with Hawk is his salary. Don't get me wrong AJ is a GREAT player, I just don't know if I've ever seen a 6 million dollar linebacker, let alone a 10 million dollar one.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Hawk, but for 10 million I think you trade him but only if you get someone that can make a difference next year.

I dont know who would pick him up for 10million?

I imagine we pay him, release him or re-do his contract.

I hope we keep him. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always hated hawk. No way he gets $10 million next season. I don't trash players that play great in contract years (which this pretty much is). Barnett has consistently been a solid player unlike hawk who has been the definition of coverage liability.

F it, let capers decide.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, that is one thing that irks me. Hawk is basically playing for his next contract/Job. Where was this effort before? C'Mon man. We should have had this kind of player the last 2-3 years at least.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's playing for his next contract. He's always been very steady but now that his role has expanded, he's showing leadership. Re-work his contract - the D is playing better than ever with Hawk calling the plays.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Has he earned his $10M for next year or is he trade bait and history after this season?

Personally, the guy is playing GREAT this year. Where has it been all this time? Could it be he fits in a 3-4 perfectly? Has he taken Barnett's starting job?

I really want to see him back next year.

Great post. Also, I bought his jersey as soon as I could after the Packers drafted him because I thought having "HAWK" on my back was cool.:happy0005:

L

Lunchboxer

I say keep him. After todays showing Keep him.

After this season we gotta keep the guys we have after so many on IR. Hawk has talent. Gotta keep the playmakers we do have if we have another IR fever next season.

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that is one thing that irks me. Hawk is basically playing for his next contract/Job. Where was this effort before? C'Mon man. We should have had this kind of player the last 2-3 years at least.
You guys would be insane to trade Hawk

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
You guys would be insane to trade Hawk

Don't get me wrong Dawhole9. I WANT Hawk back for sure! I think he has played amazingly well this year for GB! I think GB would be crazy to let him walk.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barnett will be out the door, a la Kampman and Harris.
We'll turn to the younger Bishop, and keep Hawk but will sign him to an extension that will lower that ridiculous cap # for 2011.

Chillar will be the #1 backup on the ILB spot, and we'll add a rookie and another undrafted scrub.

At OLB, I expect Poppinga hits the road when we get Zombo and Brad Jones back with Walden. Plus we'll draft another OLB in the first few rounds.

It will be sad to see Barnett go, but he really hasn't been missed too much. I still remember him picking off Cutler late in the game in Chicago, only to have the refs flag Zombo and deny the Int and win.

I like Barnett's passion too.