Simms praises Packers

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some National Football League observers are so impressed by the play of the undefeated New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts, they are all but handing the Vince Lombardi Trophy to one of them if they advance to the Super Bowl.

If those two teams are the elites of the American Football Conference, which ones are the elites of the National Football Conference?

For CBS-TV's Phil Simms there are three.

"The Giants, the Cowboys and Green Bay, they have separated themselves just physically from the pack in the NFC," Simms said.

"They all have intriguing aspects of what they do. The Giants have playmakers everywhere, both sides of the ball. The Cowboys are big and fast (with) a good quarterback. In Green Bay, as we saw Monday night, they can play some defense and that guy throwing is pretty good, too.
Advertisement

Buy a link here

"There's a long way to go before I say isn't there somebody (in the NFC) who can contend and play with the AFC," Simms said.
Patriots-Colts on here

There are some television markets in the U.S. that will not get to see the CBS telecast of the most anticipated game so far in the National Football League season, the 8-0 New England Patriots at the 7-0 Indianapolis Colts.

Milwaukee will be getting the game, according to a spokesman for WDJT-TV (Channel 58), the CBS affiliate here.

Channel 58 will carry San Diego at Minnesota at noon, followed by the Patriots at Colts.

The Packers at Chiefs game is at noon on WITI-TV (Channel 6).
Smiling Mac

During his weekly appearance on Fox Sports Radio, Packers coach Mike McCarthy was told that he actually had a smile on his face after Brett Favre completed an 82-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings to beat the Denver Broncos Monday night.

"Is that right?' McCarthy said. "I think I was smiling because there were no flags on the field, that's all. That's what I was looking for. I kind of missed out on the celebration. You (coaches) are worried about all the negatives all the time."
Mile High ratings

The Packers at Denver Broncos "Monday Night Football" game was the highest-rated game for ESPN this season.

An estimated 10.1 million households and 14 million viewers saw all or part of the overtime game, which did not have to go up against a Game 5 in the World Series.

The Packers-Broncos game delivered the second most viewers for any show on cable television this year, behind only "High School Musical 2" on the Disney Channel. Packers-Broncos had a higher rating than the Dallas Cowboys at Buffalo Bills game Oct. 8, which had been the highest-rated Monday game of the season.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's funny. More people tune in to watch the Packers/Broncos game than any other this year.

And yet ESPN is bound and freaking determined to shove as much of Indy v. NE Armageddon down our throats as possible.

I mean, call me an *** for making assumptions, but I just figure that everyone tuned in to see the Packers and/or Broncos play a football game, and not to hear about two totally seperate teams who were still 6 days away from the kickoff of a non-divisional, regular season game.

But ESPN knows better, I guess.. :roll:

/rant

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Simms but he's being a little homer-like here with the Giants. I am sorry but I just can't put them up there when the last four teams they have played haven't won a game between them in a MONTH.

The last four teams they have played are a combined 0-16. Doesn't that mean ANY team lucky enough to draw these teams consecutively would be on a run right now?

It's not like they've killed these teams either.

They say luck plays a role in the success of a team over a season but how damn lucky can you get? I say they will get back to playing legitimate teams and Eli will go back to throwing too many int's and the losses will come again.

You heard it here.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simms isn't the only announcer enamored with the Giants. I don't quite get it. they've been winning as of late, but against poor teams. Time will tell.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the Packers on there best day would beat the Giants on there best day. But I think the cowboys on there best day would beat the packers on there best day. The way I see it, we are number two in the NFC. But we shall see what happens when we play dallas.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Simms isn't the only announcer enamored with the Giants. I don't quite get it. they've been winning as of late, but against poor teams. Time will tell.

It is the big sack numbers they are putting up, IMO, everyone is pointing to the defensive pressure they are forcing and that drives the predictions. Couple that with Manning showing signs of turning the corner and Plax doing his thing.

Once a team figures out they are loading up with 5 to 7 DE on the field at a given time, they will start to a run it straight down their throats or they will expose the coverage weaknesses that the scheme is presenting.

But give the DC some credit there, he is manufacturing pressure with the tools he has.. which don't include much at DT or LBer.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

It is the big sack numbers they are putting up, IMO, everyone is pointing to the defensive pressure they are forcing and that drives the predictions. Couple that with Manning showing signs of turning the corner and Plax doing his thing.

Once a team figures out they are loading up with 5 to 7 DE on the field at a given time, they will start to a run it straight down their throats or they will expose the coverage weaknesses that the scheme is presenting.

But give the DC some credit there, he is manufacturing pressure with the tools he has.. which don't include much at DT or LBer.

But 93, look who it's been against. They can't pull those schemes off against the better teams and Manning SHOULD look at least decent against the teams he's faced.

Like I say. Only in NY.

People were all over us because we started winning late last year but all we heard was "look who it was against."
What did we get up to? Maybe 16th in some polls.

NY strings out four wins against teams that can't beat anybody and now their the SIXTH best team in football?

Not in my book.

My problem with this is once they go back to losing the press will be saying things like "just when they were imerging" and "it's so puzzling" when it should read "once they got passed all those **** teams" Christmas was over.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I agree, but sacks are appealing to the "talking heads", it is something tangable that they can point to with ease. No matter the competition, putting up huge sack numbers draws attention.

I agree, very soon the covers will be pulled off and the ugly bitter truth that the backend of the defense is very weak.

On Manning, time will tell if it is just smoke and mirrors or that is is actually developing like they hoped.

The best news about the Giants.. this run probably guaranteed that Coach Cough...err chokeling will be there another year or two. :thumbsup:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the Packers on there best day would beat the Giants on there best day. But I think the cowboys on there best day would beat the packers on there best day. The way I see it, we are number two in the NFC. But we shall see what happens when we play dallas.

Agree with you that the Cowboys on their best day will beat us on our best day. However, I'll take you one step further with the Giants. On a good day for us, we'll beat the Giants on their best day. On an average day for us, we'd be close.

Giants don't even belong with us and the Cowboys. The only way the Giants could beat us is if we give them the game (turnovers, penalties, etc.)

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get the love affair with the giants but hey, i think the players love beinght eunder dog ive said it before. let the media say were the worst in the nfc, who cares as long as we keep winning im happy screw the media

Members online

Latest posts