Sherrod Activated

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's official, with the move of both Finley and Sam Barrington to IR.

It is finally time to see what the kid has got. Reports from practice have been favorable

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno...this guy the same guy that didn't give up a sack in college? I think they had to do this out of necessity. I get the feeling the management is getting tired of 2 year-off injured players. With Lang being out, this is exactly what should have happened. Now - if Sherrod flashes, Newhouse is TOAST. But if he is not ready to go, he will likely be cut when Lang returns.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno...this guy the same guy that didn't give up a sack in college? I think they had to do this out of necessity. I get the feeling the management is getting tired of 2 year-off injured players. With Lang being out, this is exactly what should have happened. Now - if Sherrod flashes, Newhouse is TOAST. But if he is not ready to go, he will likely be cut when Lang returns.

I'd rather see Blowhouse cut before Sherrod. Give Sherrod a chance to prove his draft stock.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Sherrod may play some downs after 3 to 4 weeks of practice. I wish him and the team all the best, yet I don't see Sherrod being a starter or even an immediate plug in relief. I am glad to see him back, but results pay the bills.

I would like to see Jolly play a greater role.
The secondary is a more immediate concern going forward.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Ummm...that was college, YEARS ago.....and he has been inactive for a LONG TIME due to a serious leg break and nerve damage. I highly doubt he has anything worth while to contribute to this team.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm...that was college, YEARS ago.....and he has been inactive for a LONG TIME due to a serious leg break and nerve damage. I highly doubt he has anything worth while to contribute to this team.

No doubt. Same with Jolly. Dude has been in prison for years, out of football for more than three years. That dude ain't got much either.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No doubt. Same with Jolly. Dude has been in prison for years, out of football for more than three years. That dude ain't got much either.

Hmmm.... did Jolly do damage...extensive that is to a vital power area of the body that is critical in being able to be a good strong/mobile blocker? No....he did not.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm.... did Jolly do damage...extensive that is to a vital power area of the body that is critical in being able to be a good strong/mobile blocker? No....he did not.
Can bodies repair themselves and even, in the case of bones, come back stronger? Yes.

Google Mike Flanagan NFL. Broke leg as a rookie for the Packers and was out for over 2 years. 3rd year came back and started 2 games. Went on to only miss 1 game in next 5 years and was a pretty good player.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Can bodies repair themselves and even, in the case of bones, come back stronger? Yes. How old are you? Google Mike Flanagan NFL. Broke leg as a rookie was out for over 2 years. 3rd year came back and started 2 games. Went on to only miss 1 game in next 5 years and was a pretty good player.

Please dont getty snippy, I'm 38 yrs old and played 12 years of football. Am I some expert, No, but I have seen a lot of guys get hurt over the years and this injury is not typically the kind you come back from stronger. The leg break can heal, yes, but that major nerve damage can cause issues for many many years beyond the break. Yes, he is young still, but he spent way to much time out of pads and to pile on to that recovering from a nasty injury. To expect him to come in and make an impact like nothing ever happened is being short sighted. He will be going up against guys who are stronger, freasher, and not rusty. I am the "show me" type.....show me you can do it, until then I doubt him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please dont getty snippy, I'm 38 yrs old and played 12 years of football. Am I some expert, No, but I have seen a lot of guys get hurt over the years and this injury is not typically the kind you come back from stronger. The leg break can heal, yes, but that major nerve damage can cause issues for many many years beyond the break. Yes, he is young still, but he spent way to much time out of pads and to pile on to that recovering from a nasty injury. To expect him to come in and make an impact like nothing ever happened is being short sighted. He will be going up against guys who are stronger, freasher, and not rusty. I am the "show me" type.....show me you can do it, until then I doubt him.
I was being snippy and I edited - but you grabbed the old quote.

He has been out, but hasn't been sitting on the sofa the whole time. He has been working out for some time and sounds like he was in excellent shape. I don't 'expect him to come in and make an impact' - and I don't consider myself short sighted for hoping he can come back from his injury - he is 2nd string at this point and will have an opportunity to become a starter at some point. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, your belief:

I find to be very negative. As pointed out, Flannigan was able to come back and have a long successful career - it is still a real possibility. And Flannigan was not nearly as good of a player coming out of college. Give Sherrod a chance.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't find the article even though I read it only a few days ago, but it was a report about Sherrod in practice. Guys like Raji were saying how surprisingly strong and agile he was for being out of football two years. Now, that could be like saying that the 1995 Cavalier you just bought runs surprisingly well for having sat in a junk yard for the past two years.

I guess that we'll see. Sherrod has been practicing the last few weeks and the reviews are good, so if he can replace Newhouse then all the better. I don't think that any of us are qualified to opine on Sherrod's injury or curent condition.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I was being snippy and I edited - but you grabbed the old quote.

He has been out, but hasn't been sitting on the sofa the whole time. He has been working out for some time and sounds like he was in excellent shape. I don't 'expect him to come in and make an impact' - and I don't consider myself short sighted for hoping he can come back from his injury - he is 2nd string at this point and will have an opportunity to become a starter at some point. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, your belief

I find to be very negative. As pointed out, Flannigan was able to come back and have a long successful career - it is still a real possibility. And Flannigan was not nearly as good of a player coming out of college. Give Sherrod a chance.

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend. Flannigan vs sherrod. Two different people. People heal differently, we are not all robots made off an assembly line with replaceable parts. Who is to say that his leg did indeed heal stronger? Maybe, maybe not. How can a guy do complete "work outs" when the lower portion of his body was unable to be worked-out for a very long period of time? I can say without a doubt that his leg/legs are weaker than they were before the injury. The thigh area is the largest/bulkiest muscle group and will decline very fast without constant working. I went through a broken knee cap in the prime of my youth as a US Marine. No working out, no running....that was for 10 weeks only....a fraction of the time he has missed....I was never the same again, even after a vigourous workout/rehab routine ( I know it wasnt NFL trainer quality), but to this day it still bothers me. I was used to going to the gym to lift weights 2 times per day, 4 days a week and running an average of 35 miles per week. I was in prime condition, a lean mean fighting machine. That injury set me back years in a matter of 10 weeks.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good call. Young men hardly ever are able to heal. I bet that leg's still broken. O, if only the human body were able to repair itself!!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well, so have I and I can tell you that it is extremely hard to recover from and come back to top form. Even with pro trainers. His legs are his vital power source and that amount of off time with nerve damage..... yes, I am a doubter on this guy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying Sherrod definitely WILL come back as good as he could have been before. But the last two years of his life have been committed to getting back into playing shape. He's had world-class doctors, world-class trainers, and world-class physical therapists helping him get there. It was a heinous injury, of course, and it's not a given he'd ever get back to playing shape. But I also know Thompson to be a cold-hearted bastard when it comes to retaining/cutting players. Thompson decided to keep him, and activate him. I have to believe that means the professionals have adequately convinced Ted of their confidence in Sherrod's rehab.

The damage I've done to my legs has been structural. I've had major cartilage, tendon, and ligament damage in my right knee. And it's been repaired. All this withOUT world-class doctors, trainers, and physical therapists. I also know that as bones heal from breaks, the healing process "reinforces" those areas, and that they actually end up stronger than the area was before the break. It was a crazy bad break, for sure. But it's been two years. If he wasn't ready to play, he would've been left on the IR or, more likely, cut. If Ted thinks he's ready for the 53-man roster, I think he's ready for the 53-man roster.

Edit: just saw you last post. And i agree that there are reasons for concern. I'm concerned too. But I'd add that this "off time" hasn't been "off time". it's been rehab time. Two years to recover from the terrible injury (and yes, i agree, it WAS terrible.) But it hasn't been "off" time. It's been "rehab" time. He's been working. Rehabbing. "Rehab" time is not "off" time. That's where I'm coming from. I trust in the body to heal, especially on young men. And I trust in Ted's opinion; it's been made VERY clear that if he's not confident in the health of his guys, he'll cut them. So the fact that he DIDN'T cut Sherrod, and has actually activated him, is a source of optimism for me. If the process isn't a source of optimism for you, that's fine; difference of opinion. Honestly, i'm hoping we don't NEED him this year. Hoping that we won't see him play this year, because it -hopefully- isn't necessary. But if we DO see him play, i am confident that we *wouldn't* see him play if he weren't ready.

Last edited:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a strong possibility, but his activation could have been out of desperation as well........our depth is about out of business.

I agree. But I have heard Thompson and McCarthy talk time and time again about availability; how availability is a *must*. I think that's why he's been absent so long - because he wasn't available to the extent that T and M needed. And i think that's why he's back now - because he finally IS available. Now whether he can perform at a high level is a different discussion. But if he weren't ready for the rigors of the game, I don't think he would've been activated.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. It's optimistic. But I also think it shows a level of confidence in our decision makers that is on par with the track record that I believe they deserve.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . .No working out, no running....that was for 10 weeks only....a fraction of the time he has missed....I was never the same again, even after a vigourous workout/rehab routine ( I know it wasnt NFL trainer quality), but to this day it still bothers me. I was used to going to the gym to lift weights 2 times per day, 4 days a week and running an average of 35 miles per week. I was in prime condition, a lean mean fighting machine. That injury set me back years in a matter of 10 weeks.
I think the Boz summed things up pretty well. But, just to solidify a point - if Sherrod was not immobilized for 87 weeks since his injury. Perhaps he was like you and only immobile for 10 weeks, (in actuality he could have been doing upper body work and maybe even other leg exercises sooner), he would then have had 77 weeks to now to be back up to speed and build up strength. In the mean time, he could also have been studying and learning the finer points of the game and who knows, maybe there is some advantage to be gained from the two years away (please note SOME advantage - overall disadvantage by the injury). He has been practicing with the team for a few weeks - MM and TT know just where he is at and they chose to activate him. That is reason for optimism in my book.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll find out pretty soon how good Sherrod is. They didn't activate him to not play him. I'm also hoping he's the next Flanagan--who made the pro bowl in 2003 and started for the Packers for 5 years after missing 2 years with a similar injury as Sherrod--maybe worse, as Flanagan had a foot drop due to his nerve injury. I've never read that Sherrod had the same nerve injury--but, then, you rarely find out anything about Packers' injuries under MM.

Members online

Latest posts