Seahawks cut Doug Baldwin AND Kam Chancellor

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't expect the Packers to add a veteran safety before the start of the season either. Just wanted to point out that the team lacks quality depth behind Amos and Savage.
You could be right, but IMO, now is the time to at least be looking at ways you can improve depth, knowing that many of these young guys aren't the immediate answer. Safety and ILB are 2 positions where I would say finding a cheap vet now, might be better than waiting until that need becomes very apparent come September or beyond. Josh Bynes is a guy I would look at at ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

You could be right, but IMO, now is the time to at least be looking at ways you can improve depth, knowing that many of these young guys aren't the immediate answer. Safety and ILB are 2 positions where I would say finding a cheap vet now, might be better than waiting until that need becomes very apparent come September or beyond. Josh Bynes is a guy I would look at at ILB.

The Packers currently have $7.9 million of cap space left. At least $2.35 million of that will be allocated towards #52 and #53 on the roster as well as the practice squad. That doesn't leave the Packers with a lot of wiggle room to make another move in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers currently have $7.9 million of cap space left. At least $2.35 million of that will be allocated towards #52 and #53 on the roster as well as the practice squad. That doesn't leave the Packers with a lot of wiggle room to make another move in free agency.

Damn, time to cut Mason! ;)

You are correct and I am also sure they want to leave some for the in season signings that always seem to happen. Obviously, if they see ways to improve the team, players will have to be cut or contracts will have to be restructured.

My guess is that they will have their eyes squarely on T. Williams, Daniels, Crosby and Bulaga and if they find a suitable cheaper replacement between now and the final 53 cut down, cutting one of those guys will free up some much needed cap space.

H

HardRightEdge

Chancellor I get with the neck injury, and we're obviously set at S anyway.

But Baldwin went down with groin and shoulder injuries. The shoulder I'm not so much worried about, but groin will definitely affect explosion and long speed.

I'm sure some teams will give them a closer look.
Baldwin had 4 separate injuries last year and was already on the record as being doubtful whether he could play again.

I saw one report a couple weeks back that Baldwin was in "discussions" with the union and the league. What could possibly have been the nature of those discussions? Perhaps whether Baldwin would have to refund the $6 mil in signing bonus prorated to 2019 and 2020 if he retired? Would he have been advised that if Seattle took him to arbitration to claw back the money he could lose? Such claw backs are rare (see the Packers attempt and failure to get money back from Bennett as one example), but the prudent course of action would be to wait for Seattle to cut him.

I kinda doubt Baldwin will be playing any more football. You never know, though. He could take a year off, heal up, and then get the itch for another shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I am, and have been, the first guy to point out that cap space is not what it appears to be, but I'm not seeing the $7.9 mil figure. The NFLPA is showing $9.9 mil. Maybe they have not yet included Gary or Savage, but neither player seems to quite reconcile the numbers.

I'm not seeing where Jenkins has signed yet. Dante Pettis was the #44 pick in 2018 with a $1.45 mil rookie cap number, so Jenkins should slice about $900,000 off the cap compared to a $570,000 player he'd replace in the top 53.

You've also got that pesky PUP/IR replacement reserve. Of course a team can always spend up close to the max provided they have a player in mind they could cut, if need be, to clear sufficient cap space for those PUP/IR replacements. I suppose you might discount that since Crosby can be cut at any time through the end of the season with a suitable replacement waiting on the beach for the Packer's call. ;)

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd try to see what Baldwin would ask, if he would still be willing to play. He might want to retire anyway.

As for Chancellor, pass. Tre Boston is still out there if we want safety help

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Baldwin is clutch when he is needed. But that Baldwin injuries started in the taking a toll on him. Good luck to him and Chancellor.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd try to see what Baldwin would ask, if he would still be willing to play. He might want to retire anyway.

As for Chancellor, pass. Tre Boston is still out there if we want safety help

Tre Boston may be holding out for some real money this time. On the other hand, Chancellor, may just want to play anywhere and will take what's offered. I'll take the high risk/high reward scenario in Chancellor.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that they will have their eyes squarely on T. Williams, Daniels, Crosby and Bulaga and if they find a suitable cheaper replacement between now and the final 53 cut down, cutting one of those guys will free up some much needed cap space.
crosby...maybe. everyone else hurts more. cutting any of those guys weakens the roster in this critical year. o-line, d-line, and db departments finally have enough depth...something that's been missing for years. that and the loss of the experience they all provide. if i had to pick a second possibility...daniels. his loss (much better a trade than a cut) might be absorbed better for the MLB that would come in. i don't see them going for a safety at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
crosby...maybe. everyone else hurts more. cutting any of those guys weakens the roster in this critical year. o-line, d-line, and db departments finally have enough depth...something that's been missing for years. that and the loss of the experience they all provide. if i had to pick a second possibility...daniels. his loss (much better a trade than a cut) might be absorbed better for the MLB that would come in. i don't see them going for a safety at this point.

Just from memory, Daniels is the most bang for your buck ($8M+), meaning cutting him gives the Packers the most money. A few of us have been debating cutting Crosby in other threads and while some think cutting him wouldn't be painful, I'm not so sure about that, as well as the amount of cap savings you get back after replacing him, doesn't buy you a whole lot.

Tramon Williams has been mentioned, but now that I look up his salary details, he has already earned $1M of his roster bonus by being on the team as of 3/15, so he might not be on the cut radar either, since doing so appears to only net the Packers $2.625M.

Bottom line for me, I wouldn't cut Daniels, Bulaga, Williams, Crosby, etc. unless 2 things happen. First, the Packers are pretty certain they have an equal replacement on the team. Second, the player they use that money on improves the team more than losing said player. Baldwin or Chancellor IMO wouldn't be worth parting ways with any of those guys.

All that said, if I had to lay money on a cut, I would say it would be Daniels. Mainly because of how much money that frees up and I think the DL could absorb the loss better than the other positions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just from memory, Daniels is the most bang for your buck ($8M+), meaning cutting him gives the Packers the most money. A few of us have been debating cutting Crosby in other threads and while some think cutting him wouldn't be painful, I'm not so sure about that, as well as the amount of cap savings you get back after replacing him, doesn't buy you a whole lot.

Tramon Williams has been mentioned, but now that I look up his salary details, he has already earned $1M of his roster bonus by being on the team as of 3/15, so he might not be on the cut radar either, since doing so appears to only net the Packers $2.625M.

Bottom line for me, I wouldn't cut Daniels, Bulaga, Williams, Crosby, etc. unless 2 things happen. First, the Packers are pretty certain they have an equal replacement on the team. Second, the player they use that money on improves the team more than losing said player. Baldwin or Chancellor IMO wouldn't be worth parting ways with any of those guys.

All that said, if I had to lay money on a cut, I would say it would be Daniels. Mainly because of how much money that frees up and I think the DL could absorb the loss better than the other positions.
I’m in relative agreement with all of this...............
But please for the love of everything that is noble and righteous don’t put Tramon back at Safety.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But please for the love of everything that is noble and righteous don’t put Tramon back at Safety.

I think that was strictly out of need and desperation last year and the plan is to have him at CB in 2019. Hopefully, with the signing of Amos and the drafting of Savage, Tramon can stick to playing just CB. If nothing else, he adds versatility to be able to play both positions.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dang, he wasn't great but he wasn't abysmal either(Granted the 49ers game he got exposed alot). The transition from CB to S is far from seamless, especially when Tramon in this case has probably never played it. But if he has to again, I think he's obviously better prepared.

If for some reason the injury bug tore the secondary apart by mid-season, I'd at least be intrigued at the thought of giving Kam's agent a call and seeing if he's still in shape, not necessarily give him instant starter's reps but Pettine loves versatility, he could definitely be a valuable sub package guy, especially in a 2-4-5/4-2-5/Dime scheme

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see any scenario in which the Packers end up cutting Bulaga. The rest of the players you mentioned might be a possibility to create cap space.

I am, and have been, the first guy to point out that cap space is not what it appears to be, but I'm not seeing the $7.9 mil figure. The NFLPA is showing $9.9 mil. Maybe they have not yet included Gary or Savage, but neither player seems to quite reconcile the numbers.

I suppose you might discount that since Crosby can be cut at any time through the end of the season with a suitable replacement waiting on the beach for the Packer's call. ;)

My bad, I took the wrong number from the NFLPA's website. You're correct about the Packers currently having $9.9 million of cap space.

With Crosby being a vested veteran the Packers wouldn't save any cap space by releasing him after week 1 as his salary would be fully guaranteed at that point.

I'll take the high risk/high reward scenario in Chancellor.

Chancellor seems to be done though.

Aside of Crosby I think the Packers are in the best position to adequately replace Daniels. It might be close to impossible to find another team interested in trading for him though.

A few of us have been debating cutting Crosby in other threads and while some think cutting him wouldn't be painful, I'm not so sure about that, as well as the amount of cap savings you get back after replacing him, doesn't buy you a whole lot.

The Packers releasing Crosby might allow them to add a veteran at either or both inside linebacker and safety. That could end up being money spent smarter.

FYI the Packers could save approximately the same amount of cap space by releasing Williams as that move would still create $3.65 million in cap space at this point ($3.2M base salary, $400K per game bonuses).

As you know I would prefer the first option though.

The Packers definitely don't plan on starting him there but he might present a better option than any backup currently on the roster if either Amos or Savage get injured.

Dang, he wasn't great but he wasn't abysmal either(Granted the 49ers game he got exposed alot).

Williams didn't line up at safety vs. the Niners.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of Crosby I think the Packers are in the best position to adequately replace Daniels. It might be close to impossible to find another team interested in trading for him though.
so we agree. the patriots trade good players for picks every year. why wouldn't the Packers be able to do that? he's good and not expensive. just the thing for someone needing a quality dt. i'd keep him otherwise. simply cutting him would be silly.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too bad the only team desperate enough for a kicker in trade would be the bears. I would love to offload Crosby's contract, but it would then leave us like the bears... On the hunt for a kicker who can do it in cold weather consistently.

They don't get a lot of respect, and Crosby by a K traditional definition is vastly overpaid, but market being what it is, we would literally be trading wins for cap savings at this time/ quality of kickers.

H

HardRightEdge

so we agree. the patriots trade good players for picks every year. why wouldn't the Packers be able to do that? he's good and not expensive. just the thing for someone needing a quality dt. i'd keep him otherwise. simply cutting him would be silly.
He's not been all that good for the last 1 1/2 seasons, there were rumblings after 2017 that he did not score well that season in terms of the "do your job" quotient, he's coming off injury, he's 30 years old with pretty high mileage in terms of snap count, he'd be an $8.5 mil one season rent-a-player for an acquiring team, and you'd want them to give up a draft pick for the privilege.

He's in a similar to spot as Wilkerson last season who signed a one year rent-a-player deal for a lot less than a trading partner would have to assume with Daniels and that didn't require giving up a draft pick.

There seems to be an impression among Packer fans that Daniels is close to the the same player he was when he signed this extension 4 seasons back at age 26 after his 3rd. season. Or maybe those who advocate a trade want other teams to believe Daniels is close to that former self while they themselves do not.

About the only way you'd see this trade happen is if a team who sees itself as a legit contender finds themselves is dire straights on their D-Line due to injuries. And they'd have to have $8.5 mil in free cap space laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
About the only way you'd see this trade happen is if a team who sees itself as a legit contender finds themselves is dire straights on their D-Line due to injuries. And they'd have to have $8.5 mil in free cap space laying around.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

why wouldn't the Packers be able to do that? he's good and not expensive. just the thing for someone needing a quality dt.

A team acquiring Daniels would have to pay him $8.1 million in 2019. That isn't cheap for his production at this point in his career by any means.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And the Packers should not pay that money either.
The more I read and think about Daniels the more I think he could very well be cut, IF the Packers see that they have a suitable replacement(s).
  • Under performing current contract
  • In Final year of contract
  • Doesn't really fit Pettine's system
H

HardRightEdge

Agreed, as long as the Packers feel confident about the depth on the defensive line without Daniels.
After spending a ton of capital on Z. Smith, who will be taking snaps at 3-tech, and Gary fitting the same profile, if the Packers find the need to play Daniels at a 70% snap count again then the D-Line picture for 2019 will be disappointing.

There's no hurry. Were Clark to blow an ACL, for example, before final cutdowns there probably wouldn't be much choice.

Members online

Latest posts