Seahawks cut Doug Baldwin AND Kam Chancellor

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically chancellor retired last year with career ending/theatening neck injury, but was placed on pup at the time. Baldwin was likely headed the same way, but would have had to pay back like $2m if he did it vs the team.

Sounds like SEA worked out a deal (likely "legacy" status, coming back for events and team stuff, whatnot) to release them so they keep their $$$.

They are both done.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both guys are broken beyond repair.

Chancellor I get with the neck injury, and we're obviously set at S anyway.

But Baldwin went down with groin and shoulder injuries. The shoulder I'm not so much worried about, but groin will definitely affect explosion and long speed.

I'm sure some teams will give them a closer look.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Pass.....the Packers have a hard enough time keeping healthy players healthy. Both of these guys, especially Chancellor are probably about done with their NFL careers. I actually thought Chancellor retired last summer, but was kept on the roster for cap purposes? Baldwin had 3 off-season surgeries (knee, shoulder, hernia).

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prime Kam was a scary dude. He and ET made you realize how important the position is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My main thing is why wouldn't they wait til after June 2nd like the article said to save the most in cap money? Or does the failure of the physical prompt the immediate release of the players?

I don't know their cap situation and not looking it up, but they signed some FA's today, so they may have had to clear cap space?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main thing is why wouldn't they wait til after June 2nd like the article said to save the most in cap money? Or does the failure of the physical prompt the immediate release of the players?

By cutting him now without the post June 1st designation they get the cap relief right now and can spend the money now and they don't have any money counting against the cap next year. If they cut him with the post June 1st designation they will get more relief this year but the won't have access to it until after June first. I don't know how much cap space they have but if they need space to sign someone now they may not be able to give him a post June first designation.

Edit: You beat me to it Poker.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sea has to cut guys too because of wilson's cap number. the Packers, and rodgers, broke qb salaries in the nfl when they bumped the going rate 10+% to $33.5m. wilson and big ben are now above rodgers. after next season (2020) the qb franchise tag number will be $30m+. GB didn't have to cut anyone (except perry) as they had several expiring contracts hit at the same time. rumor is dak here in dallas will be $30+m. he's a $25m guy tops. pit saw the writing on the wall and let bell and brown go. nyg traded obj so they can make a move in 2020 with a qb on a rookie deal. it's qb salary insanity.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They cut them because they're too broken down to play anymore...

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said, I'm betting that it's more than likely Kam retires from the neck injury, but I'm curious to see if Baldwin sticks anywhere, possibly towards the end of the Preseason when the injury bug has struck some teams.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys act as if they are extremely old. Last I checked 31 and 30 years old isn't exactly old. If it wasn't for the fact that we can't afford these guys I'd be all on board giving these guys a look. Kam even at his age is better than most of the safeties in the league. Same for Baldwin. Plus these are proven veteran leaders that could help teach younger players and show them the ropes.

I swear some of you guys tickle me, writing off people so quickly saying that a person is done.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kam didn’t retire last year because he could have forfeited millions by doing so. But he did release a statement saying “walking away by choice is one thing, but walking away because of fear of paralysis is another” so, no idea how you lump him into anyone writing him off so quickly.

By not retiring he did not risk losing $12 million last year and this.

As for Baldwin, check this out https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...career-over-injurie/5r4l9ekmtfs81uaqvw4j9n3o2

The more you know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You guys act as if they are extremely old. Last I checked 31 and 30 years old isn't exactly old. If it wasn't for the fact that we can't afford these guys I'd be all on board giving these guys a look. Kam even at his age is better than most of the safeties in the league. Same for Baldwin. Plus these are proven veteran leaders that could help teach younger players and show them the ropes.

I swear some of you guys tickle me, writing off people so quickly saying that a person is done.

Doesn't really have as much to do with their age as their cumulative injuries. Hell, Chancellors neck injury made him decide to retire last year. Now if Baldwin was 25, I agree, more people would probably be interested. However, he will turn 31 before the season starts, just had 3 surgeries in the off season and a 30 year old body does not recover as fast as a 25 year old.

All that said, someone will sign Baldwin, but I don't think that someone should be the Packers, they are moving forward with their young group of receivers.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass on Baldwin... I'm more interested to see how Moore progresses this year as well as MVS, Eq, and Kumerow. I hope that one or two of those WR's establish themselves over G-Mo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Chancellor I get with the neck injury, and we're obviously set at S anyway.

The Packers aren't set at safety by any means with Amos being the only proven player on the roster. Savage definitely has a lot of talent but it will take some time to perform at a high level in the NFL. The only other safeties on the roster don't inspire a ton of confidence with Josh Jones, Raven Greene and Tray Matthews rounding out the depth chart.

With that being said Chancellor is done because of injuries.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Raven Greene showed some potential, but still has a ways to go to give me confidence

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought Raven Greene showed some potential, but still has a ways to go to give me confidence

Greene definitely showed some promise but I don't feel comfortable about him being an injury away from starting at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers aren't set at safety by any means with Amos being the only proven player on the roster. Savage definitely has a lot of talent but it will take some time to perform at a high level in the NFL. The only other safeties on the roster don't inspire a ton of confidence with Josh Jones, Raven Greene and Tray Matthews rounding out the depth chart.

With that being said Chancellor is done because of injuries.

With the signing of Amos and the heavy draft investment in Savage, they really kind of defined their path though. Sure they could try to sign a vet with some experience to back fill the depth, but I doubt we see them go after Tre Boston or anyone that would cost more than Vet min or a bit above. Glover Quin is still out there, not really great starter quality, but once a starter, a pretty decent player and leader, a guy who would add more experience and depth at a cheap price.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the signing of Amos and the heavy draft investment in Savage, they really kind of defined their path though. Sure they could try to sign a vet with some experience to back fill the depth, but I doubt we see them go after Tre Boston or anyone that would cost more than Vet min or a bit above. Glover Quin is still out there, not really starter quality, but once a pretty decent player and leader, a guy who would add more experience and depth at a cheap price.

I don't expect the Packers to add a veteran safety before the start of the season either. Just wanted to point out that the team lacks quality depth behind Amos and Savage.

Members online

Latest posts