Same old crap defense (2021-22 version)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It a sports forum. Seems like there are only really two options. One, sit back quietly (i.e., don't post) for an undetermined length of time. Two, post, based on what we've got to work with, which is Week 1 and all that it brought to us.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I think it’s easy to pile on to the kid that’s already knocked down. Cmon. It’s game 1 and imo we played a pretty good team there in NO, they weren’t a bottom feeder last season. You ad to that our O getting a late start and it’s how life comes at you. Being prepared is more important than people think and I didn’t see a prepared team. Did you?
It a sports forum. Seems like there are only really two options. One, sit back quietly (i.e., don't post) for an undetermined length of time. Two, post, based on what we've got to work with, which is Week 1 and all that it brought to us.
I beg to differ. I think there is easily more than one game to go off of. I've certainly been harping on that DL from last year, into the offseason, and after week one. I'm not going to go into the details again, but it is garbage. There is a huge lack of talent at that position.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember ever saying anything about the hire. I didn't like it. I mean, he was on the 0-16 Lions staff. Regardless, I truly believe it is a lack of talent. I said it in the offseason and after this last game. That DL is terrible. I don't care if we have Clark or not. He can't do it on his own. Slaton is a rookie and I do like his potential. However, that is not helping us now. For a lack of a better term, the rest of that line is garbage. If there is not push up front the rest of the defensive unit suffers. I think we will have to get used to giving up 28-30 points per game. I hope the offense wakes up, which I'm wagering it will.
Even the best DL we have had have been average at best.

Reaction score
I beg to differ. I think there is easily more than one game to go off of. I've certainly been harping on that DL from last year, into the offseason, and after week one. I'm not going to go into the details again, but it is garbage. There is a huge lack of talent at that position.
I agree with that. That said.., who did we lose on D? Kirksey? We gained Campbell, Stokes, Slayton and McDuffie and while they are unknowns they don’t make us worse.
To me, much will depend on our ability to use the talent we have and the ability of young players to bring their game up a notch. Someone needs to step into the limelight on D that we didn’t expect

I’ve said repeatedly I’d like to see us go after DL before trade deadline if at all possible and if we are in the playoff hunt.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Clark is average at best? Or do you mean the entire unit as a whole?
He is pretty decent. But I will take Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson, Grady Jackson, Vonnie Holiday, or Cullen Jenkins over him. These guys did not just plug the whole. They stayed on the field.

Reaction score
He is pretty decent. But I will take Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson, Grady Jackson, Vonnie Holiday, or Cullen Jenkins over him. These guys did not just plug the whole. They stayed on the field.
Well each of those guys was great in his own right, but different roles, different D schemes and many played on teams with better D rosters, so hard to direct compare. I think Kenny’s pretty good and our 3rd best D player we have behind 1. J’aire and 2.Z’darius if I had to pick my squad. If we had just 2 of him on the DL?
We’d instantly be much better on Defense overall. 1 more solid veteran DL upfront would pay huge dividends.

If I’m Gute I’m pushing up to $4-5mil and a day 3 selection into acquiring a 1/2 year rental at DL. It’s that bad outside Kenny.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely didn't see a prepared team on Sunday. In my opinion the coaching staff is to blame for that though.
No. And the opener with two weeks to prepare is inexcusable. This reminded me of that one rare time when Lombardi did not have his team ready. Thanksgiving Day 1962. We got pummeled through and through except for the 4th quarter in garbage time. But I could accept that because the other 14 games they played that year had a big W.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. And the opener with two weeks to prepare is inexcusable. This reminded me of that one rare time when Lombardi did not have his team ready. Thanksgiving Day 1962. We got pummeled through and through except for the 4th quarter in garbage time. But I could accept that because the other 14 games they played that year had a big W.
And Detroit was a very good team that year.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vonnie was a strong side DE in a 4-3.

Cullen was a 3T tackle. Ditto Santana

Gilbert only has 7 sacks in his career. (3, 1, 3 across three years. And then a whole lot of zeros.)

And all of them rotated.

And honestly, I though Vonnie was a disappointment. He didn't get a second contract with the Packers.

None of those players are really the same, maybe Grady is a fair Clark comparison. But he's probably the only one.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I agree with that. That said.., who did we lose on D? Kirksey? We gained Campbell, Stokes, Slayton and McDuffie and while they are unknowns they don’t make us worse.
To me, much will depend on our ability to use the talent we have and the ability of young players to bring their game up a notch. Someone needs to step into the limelight on D that we didn’t expect

I’ve said repeatedly I’d like to see us go after DL before trade deadline if at all possible and if we are in the playoff hunt.
Agreed, we are not worse, but we are definitely not better. We brought too many of the same old retreads back and they are also a year older in terms of body wear. The whole thing is icky!

Reaction score
Agreed, we are not worse, but we are definitely not better. We brought too many of the same old retreads back and they are also a year older in terms of body wear. The whole thing is icky!
Maybe. I just don’t have enough info yet. I’m not going to pass judgement until we give a new DC time to make adjustments. imo anything short of 4-8 games is way premature. The other aspect many fans conveniently ignore is that teams constantly evolve. Injuries, additions.. there’s lots of variables that can affect the final season outcome. No way would I put all my chips in on 1 game. That goes for if the scores for week 1 were reversed. We are way to early in to declare SB Champions or Bankruptcy. We need more moderation and less overreaction these days.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vonnie was a strong side DE in a 4-3.

Cullen was a 3T tackle. Ditto Santana

Gilbert only has 7 sacks in his career. (3, 1, 3 across three years. And then a whole lot of zeros.)

And all of them rotated.

And honestly, I though Vonnie was a disappointment. He didn't get a second contract with the Packers.

None of those players are really the same, maybe Grady is a fair Clark comparison. But he's probably the only one.
Gilbert and Santana were there to be plugged. Stop the run. That freed The Lbs to do their thing on the edge. The sacks were meant for Reggie, Sean Jones, Gabe Wilkins. It was a rare day when these guys were manhandled on the line of scrimmage.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gilbert and Santana were there to be plugged. Stop the run. That freed The Lbs to do their thing on the edge. The sacks were meant for Reggie, Sean Jones, Gabe Wilkins. It was a rare day when these guys were manhandled on the line of scrimmage.

Gilbert was a run plugger yes, but Santana was a 3T rusher. He finished his career with 49 sacks.

Honestl, Gilbert was the only pure run stopper in the group. Clark included.

Members online