Salary Cap

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Does a player still get paid after they retire? I think this is a dumb question and the answer is no but friend of mine swears they do.

Links to prove the answer would be great, I am also searching! LoL

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I could be wrong ... gawd knows that never happens... :roll: ... I believe what Slick is asking goes something like this and, it's not a dumb question ... say for example:

Player signs big contract. He has reworked his contract to be more "cap friendly", at the time, incentive money is converted to a signing bonus and he gets a huge payday ... but, the remainder of the contract is spread out over, say 7 years. Player plays out 4 and retires ... {ok...signing bonus is accelerated when her retires and counts against that team's cap total the next year -- but that is a cap issue} ... what about the remaining 3 years in cold hard cash?

Now, I mess around in contract law every working day of my life, but ... the NFL is NOT the real world. My first inclination would be to say NO, compensation stops when Player retires (unless contract specifically states otherwise).

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yea, few years back Brett signed a 10 yr 100mil contract or something whack like that, do we have to pay him for the other seven years after he retires?

Madfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contracts in the NFL are fully guaranteed. A few contracts are starting to have a year or two guaranteed, but they are few and far between. Thus, the signing bonus is so important. Money in hand.

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure because some of them have guarenteed money. I am not sure if it is voided if they quit. I know they get their money no matter what as long as they keep the uniform on. The guarenteed contract is a tricky one and that is a good question.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tarkenton10 said:
I am not sure because some of them have guarenteed money. I am not sure if it is voided if they quit. I know they get their money no matter what as long as they keep the uniform on. The guarenteed contract is a tricky one and that is a good question.

Ya, it has me confused big time. The logical answer is no, but I can not find a link of a solid source to verify it.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Barry Sanders retired, the Lions wanted him to pay back some of his signing bonus because he didn't play out his contract.

The yearly salary portion of the contract basically just gets ignored for the remaining amount of the contract for football players.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Barry Sanders retired, the Lions wanted him to pay back some of his signing bonus because he didn't play out his contract.
I hope he didn't. Even though he was a classy player he should have looked at them and laughed and proceeded to tell them how he WAS their entire team, and they should actually continue to pay him a salary even in retirement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts