Salary cap thread 2016

D

Deleted member 6794

Kind of surprised by the first part of your reply. Replacing players the caliber of Guion, Starks and Taylor wouldn't be difficult at all. Between mid to late round in the draft, undrafted rookie free agents, and lower tier free agents, you could replace all with at least as good, younger, cheaper and with much more upside.
You hit the nail on the head with your second part. Why indeed rush to bring back such guys at the prices they did?
They'll have another chance to fix those mistakes next off season.

Well, while I think Thompson overpaid to re-sign all if the three players you mentioned it isn't that easy to replace them. A lot of draft picks and free agent signings don't work out the way it was expected and UDFA is a complete crapshoot.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, while I think Thompson overpaid to re-sign all if the three players you mentioned it isn't that easy to replace them. A lot of draft picks and free agent signings don't work out the way it was expected and UDFA is a complete crapshoot.

We'll agree to disagree- if we disagree at all, and I'm not sure we do.
All 3 are known commodities; they won't offer much, they're just getting older.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to letting role players walk or paying them, I think the main things to consider are how much it's going to cost, and how easily they are replaced.

Bahk will be expensive, but he's not easily replaced. Daniels even more so, and for market value, he came pretty reasonably, so he was a solid re-sign. Hayward is easily replaced simply because of the depth we have at the position, so I agree with letting him walk.

A guy like Kuhn is easily replaced, but his salary is no factor, so I'd be okay with his return.

Crosby is the worst of both worlds, he's easily replaced and expensive. If we were paying him $1M a year no one would care. He was already overpaid at 3M a year.

D

Deleted member 6794

All 3 are known commodities; they won't offer much, they're just getting older.

True, but just take a look at the last two drafts. The Packers selected two defensive linemen in Khyri Thornton and Christian Ringo. None has played a single snap for the Packers so far with Thornton not even on the roster anymore. There's no guarantee a draft pick or free agent will even be able to adequately replace a rotational player.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but just take a look at the last two drafts. The Packers selected two defensive linemen in Khyri Thornton and Christian Ringo. None has played a single snap for the Packers so far with Thornton not even on the roster anymore. There's no guarantee a draft pick or free agent will even be abke to adequately replace a rotational player.

Still plenty of options to replace. What is pretty much guaranteed is they're JAG's, overpaid, and won't have any appreciable impact on this team's fortunes.

Latest posts