1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Salary cap thread 2016

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by adambr2, Jan 25, 2016.

1. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    This early, the numbers are pretty fluid, especially since we don't know what the salary cap will be in 2016. Once we know, we can adjust here. Speculation is that it could be as high as $160M and typically numbers have been close to high projections. I'll estimate $156M til we know for sure just for the sake of projections.

Spotrac has our cap carryover for 2016 as $9.6M which can be added to the cap giving us an effective cap number of $165.6M for 2016.

Our current committed contracts for 2016 are $131.5M (including the new deal for Daniels) which puts our cap availability at about $34.1M before any further deals to our guys, drafts, or tenders to RFAs.

A few other notes:

- Peppers retiring or being cut would save another $8M.

- Masthay will save $1.3M ($1.54-240K dead cap) if cut.

- Palmer (675K saved), Goodson (575K saved), and Abbrederis (525K saved) are all legitimate cut candidates among others.

2. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    $34M before Peppers? I thought it would be around that much if Peppers were let go or decided to retire? I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time). Either way, with or without Peppers, the Packers will have money to spend if they so wish to.

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    According to Over The Cap the Packers will be able to roll over close to $7.2 million of cap space into next season and currently have a cap hit of $131 million for players under contract for next season.

4. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    So $131M is including the rollover?

5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    The rollover doesn't apply to salary, but the cap itself. So if the league cap is $156M our cap is $163.2M, not 165.6 like I had calculated. But that's still nearly 32M of space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    Ahhh, gotcha.

7. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    TT seems to always roll over about $7million. Doesn't pay for us to plan for him to spend it.

8. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Well its still 'there' and should be accounted for spent or not because we do have the cash for it.

I think it's a good practice when possible but not a hard and fast rule that needs to be strictly adhered to if we see an opportunity.

9. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    It looks to me like Over The Cap (OTC) has the Packers total cap number at $136M.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    Cut everybody for more cap space!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    I really have no idea where I got the $131 million number from, was obviously wrong about it, my bad.

Another thing to consider with the Packers cap number is that you have to include approximately $2 million in cap hit for players #52 and #53 as well as the practice squad. In addition replacements for guys on injured reserve have to be accounted for as well.

12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    So if the cap ends up being closer to $154M, the Packers will likely have something like $22 in cap space.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    I just don't know if Peppers contract staying as is, can work for the Packers...however I also don't think he'll want to re-structure it. Mastay is a quick easy way to save some cash, and if Monty hadn't gotten hurt Abb getting cut would be a quick savings as well....not sure that happens now.

I think it'd be smart to re-up one of the guards as well, and I concur with the Lang over Sitton philosophy.

15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    Replacing Masthay with a rookie would result in a cap saving of $850K, which I would be fine with. On the other hand possibly cutting Abbrederis doesn't make sense from a cap standpoint with only $75K in savings.

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    Yeah, I concur. However, honestly I think everyone was hoping Monty would make that feasible...injury makes it moot though.

Masthay will be gone I believe...he's been a good punter but I'd rather spend nearly a mill on another position rather than the punter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    Abby made the league minimum last season, so replacing him with another player wouldn't have resulted in any cap savings. In 2016, he will make $75K more than that, his contract actually works in favor of holding on to him.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
    Sometimes I forget how piddly $75K is when discussing football contracts... :D Average joe here haha!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +964
    Yup, and buy homes, cars, maintain families and send kids off to college without going bankrupt. Hooray for the average Joe! :tup:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,942
    Reading articles like the one below, reminds me of just how good of a job TT and Ball do with the Cap, while maintaining a competitive team each year. I think a lot of us just take it for granted and want TT to sign every top named free agent that hits the market.

That list proves spending money doesn't always assure you of fielding the best team.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nf...ous-salary-cap-issues-in-2016.html/?a=viewall

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    There´s no doubt that Thompson and Ball do a marvelous job of managing the cap. I haven´t seen anyone here advocating for the Packers to sign every top named free agent but it´s possible to sign FA veterans without getting into troubles with the cap.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    Thought I posted it before but can't find it now. If a repeat, please forgive, but just like spending doesn't always assure you of fielding the best team, NOT spending doesn't necessarily do it, either. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,795
    So what you're saying is there are no guarantees in football? There are a lot of ways to play offense, to play defense, to coach, to prepare, to draft, to acquire players. All have their own set of plusses and minuses. all can end it glory or defeat. I do know that in the past 5-6 years I've gone into every year with the impression we've had a team capable of winning a super bowl. Especially the past 2 years. We've come up short, but when the majority of fans, pundits and experts alike think your team is a super bowl favorite? I'd say it's a pretty good bet, you've acquired some pretty good players and coaches.

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,642
    Well, actually I don´t care if the Packers are considered a preseason favourite to win the Super Bowl as long as they end up short of it. I´d rather be like the Panthers, a team no expert pick to play in Santa Clara this week yet they won the NFC by blowing out a team we´re proud of taking into overtime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    And FWIW, I think the same happens again on Sunday to a team that absolutely blew the Packers out. If I were a betting man, that's the way I'd be betting.

• Agree Agree x 2