Salary cap thread 2016

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This early, the numbers are pretty fluid, especially since we don't know what the salary cap will be in 2016. Once we know, we can adjust here. Speculation is that it could be as high as $160M and typically numbers have been close to high projections. I'll estimate $156M til we know for sure just for the sake of projections.

Spotrac has our cap carryover for 2016 as $9.6M which can be added to the cap giving us an effective cap number of $165.6M for 2016.

Our current committed contracts for 2016 are $131.5M (including the new deal for Daniels) which puts our cap availability at about $34.1M before any further deals to our guys, drafts, or tenders to RFAs.

A few other notes:

- Peppers retiring or being cut would save another $8M.

- Masthay will save $1.3M ($1.54-240K dead cap) if cut.

- Palmer (675K saved), Goodson (575K saved), and Abbrederis (525K saved) are all legitimate cut candidates among others.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$34M before Peppers? I thought it would be around that much if Peppers were let go or decided to retire? I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time). Either way, with or without Peppers, the Packers will have money to spend if they so wish to.

D

Deleted member 6794

$34M before Peppers? I thought it would be around that much if Peppers were let go or decided to retire? I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time). Either way, with or without Peppers, the Packers will have money to spend if they so wish to.

According to Over The Cap the Packers will be able to roll over close to $7.2 million of cap space into next season and currently have a cap hit of $131 million for players under contract for next season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Over The Cap the Packers will be able to roll over close to $7.2 million of cap space into next season and currently have a cap hit of $131 million for players under contract for next season.

So $131M is including the rollover?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So $131M is including the rollover?

The rollover doesn't apply to salary, but the cap itself. So if the league cap is $156M our cap is $163.2M, not 165.6 like I had calculated. But that's still nearly 32M of space.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT seems to always roll over about $7million. Doesn't pay for us to plan for him to spend it.

Well its still 'there' and should be accounted for spent or not because we do have the cash for it.

I think it's a good practice when possible but not a hard and fast rule that needs to be strictly adhered to if we see an opportunity.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It looks to me like Over The Cap (OTC) has the Packers total cap number at $136M.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It looks to me like Over The Cap (OTC) has the Packers total cap number at $136M; top 51 players at $135.5M. You're usually on top of this stuff - where are you getting the $131M number? http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

The article linked below suggests extending Lang or Sitton would free up cap room but I think Thompson and Ball have been ‘paying as you go’ more than freeing up current cap space at the expense of much larger cap hits in the future. Of the two, it may make sense to extend Lang, based on injury concerns for Sitton and Lang should be cheaper to extend. But I don’t expect Thompson to extend either. I also expect Peppers’ deal to remain intact. IMO keeping Peppers deal in place is kind of Thompson’s version of ‘going for it’.

The author guesses the cap number will be between $150M and $153.4M, he cites an ESPN report in December for those numbers. He uses the more conservative number of $150M for this article – my guess is it’ll be higher than that but who knows, and who knows how much higher it’ll end up being. He agrees with OTC saying they are rolling a little more than $7M, and the current cap hit of about $136M leaves about $22M in cap space. With the guess of the Packers receiving two supplemental 4th round draft picks, he has the cost of signing draftees at about $6M. But since they’ll take the spots of league minimum salaries the net cost is $2M (re: top 51 contracts that count towards cap in offseason). So he ends up with the Packers having a little less than $20M in cap room to work with.
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/p...tuation-restructure-lang-sitton-cap-room-20-m

I really have no idea where I got the $131 million number from, was obviously wrong about it, my bad.

Another thing to consider with the Packers cap number is that you have to include approximately $2 million in cap hit for players #52 and #53 as well as the practice squad. In addition replacements for guys on injured reserve have to be accounted for as well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Another thing to consider with the Packers cap number is that you have to include approximately $2 million in cap hit for players #52 and #53 as well as the practice squad. In addition replacements for guys on injured reserve have to be accounted for as well.
So if the cap ends up being closer to $154M, the Packers will likely have something like $22 in cap space.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't know if Peppers contract staying as is, can work for the Packers...however I also don't think he'll want to re-structure it. Mastay is a quick easy way to save some cash, and if Monty hadn't gotten hurt Abb getting cut would be a quick savings as well....not sure that happens now.

I think it'd be smart to re-up one of the guards as well, and I concur with the Lang over Sitton philosophy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't know if Peppers contract staying as is, can work for the Packers...however I also don't think he'll want to re-structure it. Mastay is a quick easy way to save some cash, and if Monty hadn't gotten hurt Abb getting cut would be a quick savings as well....not sure that happens now.

I think it'd be smart to re-up one of the guards as well, and I concur with the Lang over Sitton philosophy.

Replacing Masthay with a rookie would result in a cap saving of $850K, which I would be fine with. On the other hand possibly cutting Abbrederis doesn't make sense from a cap standpoint with only $75K in savings.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Replacing Masthay with a rookie would result in a cap saving of $850K, which I would be fine with. On the other hand possibly cutting Abbrederis doesn't make sense from a cap standpoint with only $75K in savings.

Yeah, I concur. However, honestly I think everyone was hoping Monty would make that feasible...injury makes it moot though.

Masthay will be gone I believe...he's been a good punter but I'd rather spend nearly a mill on another position rather than the punter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I concur. However, honestly I think everyone was hoping Monty would make that feasible...injury makes it moot though.

Abby made the league minimum last season, so replacing him with another player wouldn't have resulted in any cap savings. In 2016, he will make $75K more than that, his contract actually works in favor of holding on to him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abby made the league minimum last season, so replacing him with another player wouldn't have resulted in any cap savings. In 2016, he will make $75K more than that, his contract actually works in favor of holding on to him.

Sometimes I forget how piddly $75K is when discussing football contracts... :D Average joe here haha!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Reading articles like the one below, reminds me of just how good of a job TT and Ball do with the Cap, while maintaining a competitive team each year. I think a lot of us just take it for granted and want TT to sign every top named free agent that hits the market.

That list proves spending money doesn't always assure you of fielding the best team.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nf...ous-salary-cap-issues-in-2016.html/?a=viewall

D

Deleted member 6794

Reading articles like the one below, reminds me of just how good of a job TT and Ball do with the Cap, while maintaining a competitive team each year. I think a lot of us just take it for granted and want TT to sign every top named free agent that hits the market.

That list proves spending money doesn't always assure you of fielding the best team.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nf...ous-salary-cap-issues-in-2016.html/?a=viewall

There´s no doubt that Thompson and Ball do a marvelous job of managing the cap. I haven´t seen anyone here advocating for the Packers to sign every top named free agent but it´s possible to sign FA veterans without getting into troubles with the cap.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thought I posted it before but can't find it now. If a repeat, please forgive, but just like spending doesn't always assure you of fielding the best team, NOT spending doesn't necessarily do it, either. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you're saying is there are no guarantees in football? There are a lot of ways to play offense, to play defense, to coach, to prepare, to draft, to acquire players. All have their own set of plusses and minuses. all can end it glory or defeat. I do know that in the past 5-6 years I've gone into every year with the impression we've had a team capable of winning a super bowl. Especially the past 2 years. We've come up short, but when the majority of fans, pundits and experts alike think your team is a super bowl favorite? I'd say it's a pretty good bet, you've acquired some pretty good players and coaches.

D

Deleted member 6794

So what you're saying is there are no guarantees in football? There are a lot of ways to play offense, to play defense, to coach, to prepare, to draft, to acquire players. All have their own set of plusses and minuses. all can end it glory or defeat. I do know that in the past 5-6 years I've gone into every year with the impression we've had a team capable of winning a super bowl. Especially the past 2 years. We've come up short, but when the majority of fans, pundits and experts alike think your team is a super bowl favorite? I'd say it's a pretty good bet, you've acquired some pretty good players and coaches.

Well, actually I don´t care if the Packers are considered a preseason favourite to win the Super Bowl as long as they end up short of it. I´d rather be like the Panthers, a team no expert pick to play in Santa Clara this week yet they won the NFC by blowing out a team we´re proud of taking into overtime.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, actually I don´t care if the Packers are considered a preseason favourite to win the Super Bowl as long as they end up short of it. I´d rather be like the Panthers, a team no expert pick to play in Santa Clara this week yet they won the NFC by blowing out a team we´re proud of taking into overtime.

And FWIW, I think the same happens again on Sunday to a team that absolutely blew the Packers out. If I were a betting man, that's the way I'd be betting.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts