Rodgers Vs. Love-- A Packer Fan Poll

Which scenario would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you want Drew Lock? He's terrible by all accounts...

Folks you are going to want a QB in return and if we have to move Rodgers we are entering the Love era plain and simple. You are desiring merely a backup with experience and there are VERY VERY few QBs presently available which has experience - let alone as many starts as him in FAs atm.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Why would you want Drew Lock? He's terrible by all accounts...
Drew Lock has only been in the league for 2 years, and is only 24 yrs old. In those 2 seasons, he has played in 18 games. In his final 4 games of last year, he completed 61% of his passes, threw 7 Td's and only had 2 Ints. I think there is still some promise, when a guy can finish the year like that. He still has a chance to be a viable QB in this league, or at least a good #2 for some team. Let's pump the brakes a little, on Lock being terrible and give the guy a chance to develop.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we want any young QB? Gotta give love a chance. ;)
Schefter: "Love might be considering retirement due to potential Lock to Green Bay rumors that could be possible based upon certain various outcomes that aren't necessarily concrete but probably are".

Reaction score
I want Rodgers to return, but I’m not so sure we can afford him more than 1 more season. We’ve been pushing monies into 2022 and beyond and I don’t think GB can pay him $40mil+ past this season or next. We’re about to lose more veterans like we did this year.
Judging by how we structured Aaron Jones (1yr out) I feel like we had already expected to go 1 more year with Rodgers and then regroup without him.

Might not be in the cards. Nothing personal. If $ weren't an issue, then fine. But $ is an issue. Unless Rodgers gives us a 4 year clean restructure worth south of $35mil annual I’d trade him. If he’s expecting a 4yr/160+? No thanks

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Multiple posters agreed with him. Me being one of them. No way Rodgers gets past the 2 or 3. He ain't carrying defenders into the end zone like Derrick Henry or juking them out of their skivvies like Barry Sanders.

And multiple posters also disagree. Who said anything about carrying defenders? He had a couple potential blockers and he always has a pump fake that he has used many times to great effect. The point is he didn't even try and instead threw the ball away.

At the point right before he threw the ball he had a clear path to the pylon. He had two guys behind him that he could have outrun and the two defenders at the goal line had gotten tangled up. The only defender with any real shot was in the corner and MVS was in perfect position to make enough of a block on him to get Rodgers home. We've all seen Rodgers run it in in much less likely scenarios. Either way, his path to the pylon was much more open than Adams was.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhh, EVERY player at ANY age is one injury away. Saying that a player's value is "inflated" because he won MVP is perhaps the funniest way I've ever seen "MVPs are valuable" written.

It amazes me how people have no recollection of how average he was the prior 3 or 4 seasons. The guy has one season behind his best pass-blocking OL in ages and a scheme that gives him wide open targets and they think the old AR is back somehow. His trade value will never be higher than it is now.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's why I would want a player or 2 included in any trade, to go along with the draft picks. e.g. If we made a trade with the Broncos, I would ask for Jeudy or Surtain as a player to be included in the deal.

I don't consider trading Rodgers for a player like Jeudy or Surtain to make up for the picks most likely being at the end of each round to be fair compensation.

Ask for a realistic return, they're not ignorant and sending back Jeudy or Surtain - you don't trade for Rodgers and remove arguably your two best young talents on both sides of the ball.

I could see a package deal of something similar to below:

2022 - First Rounder
2023 - First Rounder
2023 - 4th Rounder
2022 - 4th Rounder - becomes 3rd if reach AFCCG - becomes 2nd if reach SB
Dre'Mont Jones
Drew Lock

The Packers should definitely not settle for two late first rounders, a backup quarterback and a promising defensive lineman in return for the best player in football.

I see some guys as not even worth risking offending and asking for, Denver no doubt IMO has the following guys circled as non-tradeable OR we cannot take on their contract most likely:

Von Miller
Kyle Fuller
Any of their top OL
Kareem Jackson
Melvin Gordon
Noah Fant
Jerry Jeudy
Justin Simmons
Bradley Chubb

You suggest the Packers trading the MVP and are worried about offending the other team by asking for players in return???

The Packers wouldn't be able to fit a veteran on his second contract under the cap but no player on a rookie deal should be off limits.

Agreed. That's why I said they would have to ask for more choices to compensate.

Once again, more picks shouldn't be good enough to compensate for them to be most likely near the end of each round.

I agree if we are including just Rodgers, but what if we are forced to trade Adams too?

I don't believe Adams has enough leverage to force a trade.

Packers will make the playoffs regardless of who QB1 is in 2021 (clutchpoints.com)

Not sure how I feel about our chances this year with Love, however. He needs to get ready and while he has a lot of potential/promise, we obviously don't know how good he will be at this level. Only way I see us making the playoffs this year with Love, even if he turns out to be very good down the road, is if we can lean heavily on the running game and tight ends/short passing game.

I highly doubt the Packers get anywhere close to making the playoffs with Love starting in 2021. Opponents would force the team to throw the ball in that case resulting in the run game being less efficient.

I want Rodgers to return, but I’m not so sure we can afford him more than 1 more season. We’ve been pushing monies into 2022 and beyond and I don’t think GB can pay him $40mil+ past this season or next. We’re about to lose more veterans like we did this year.

The Packers could push cap hits further into the future until the cap will skyrocket.

And multiple posters also disagree. Who said anything about carrying defenders? He had a couple potential blockers and he always has a pump fake that he has used many times to great effect. The point is he didn't even try and instead threw the ball away.

At the point right before he threw the ball he had a clear path to the pylon. He had two guys behind him that he could have outrun and the two defenders at the goal line had gotten tangled up. The only defender with any real shot was in the corner and MVS was in perfect position to make enough of a block on him to get Rodgers home. We've all seen Rodgers run it in in much less likely scenarios. Either way, his path to the pylon was much more open than Adams was.

That's simply not true at all. Once again, take a look at the situation Rodgers decided to throw the ball.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It amazes me how people have no recollection of how average he was the prior 3 or 4 seasons. The guy has one season behind his best pass-blocking OL in ages and a scheme that gives him wide open targets and they think the old AR is back somehow. His trade value will never be higher than it is now.

According to Next Gen Stats Rodgers had the second best completion percentage above expectation in the league behind Watson.

Obviously I don't expect you to even give it a thought.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider trading Rodgers for a player like Jeudy or Surtain to make up for the picks most likely being at the end of each round to be fair compensation.

The Packers should definitely not settle for two late first rounders, a backup quarterback and a promising defensive lineman in return for the best player in football.

You suggest the Packers trading the MVP and are worried about offending the other team by asking for players in return???

The Packers wouldn't be able to fit a veteran on his second contract under the cap but no player on a rookie deal should be off limits.

Once again, more picks shouldn't be good enough to compensate for them to be most likely near the end of each round.

I don't believe Adams has enough leverage to force a trade.

I highly doubt the Packers get anywhere close to making the playoffs with Love starting in 2021. Opponents would force the team to throw the ball in that case resulting in the run game being less efficient.

The Packers could push cap hits further into the future until the cap will skyrocket.

That's simply not true at all. Once again, take a look at the situation Rodgers decided to throw the ball.

According to Next Gen Stats Rodgers had the second best completion percentage above expectation in the league behind Watson.

Capt you know I respect much of your posts, but I think you're going into a discussion on trading Rodgers entirely off base. Yes, he was the MVP last year, but that isn't the sole factor in trade talks...we are trading a guy that is close to 40 essentially, had 3 years prior to last of performance not anywhere close to that MVP level, and you seemingly pretend that GB is going into this trade out of desire and not out of having to.

Any team we trade with knows full well if GB is even discussing that they have to, because their relationship with Rodgers is beyond repair.

You're also discussing a trade with Denver, arguably the worst team that needs a QB left out there on the trade market outside of maybe Oakland...now granted there is no way of knowing how pick position plays out - but I think if we ever see a trade (hope we don't) folks will be surprised at the amount of picks we get back. Now granted in my scenario drop Jones and I'm pushing hard for not just 2 ones but 3 personally plus all the rest.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
You're also discussing a trade with Denver, arguably the worst team that needs a QB left out there on the trade market outside of maybe Oakland.
Oakland... err Las Vegas;) is a team we really haven't discussed about a trade with, in depth. If a QB would end up coming back in a potential trade with them, who would everyone want? 1. Derek Carr (was Adams QB in college) 2. Marcus Mariota (played in MLF's system with the Titans) This roster is built to win this year, we just need a better option at QB to guide the team if Rodgers is gone, and either would/could be a better option than Love in 2021 for a playoff run.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland... err Las Vegas;) is a team we really haven't discussed about a trade with, in depth. If a QB would end up coming back in a potential trade with them, who would everyone want? 1. Derek Carr (was Adams QB in college) 2. Marcus Mariota (played in MLF's system with the Titans) This roster is built to win this year, we just need a better option at QB to guide the team if Rodgers is gone, and either would/could be a better option than Love in 2021 for a playoff run.

This cannot be stated in a definitive way as you described. I'd agree I'd bet Love wouldn't out perform either one, nor would I suspect it, but at this point not a soul knows. I pray we don't have to learn either way and Rodgers laces up in Green Bay from the start.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Once again, I think several worse first round picks would be more valuable than one better one. If you can show, in any objective manner, how that wouldn't be, I'm more than willing to reconsider.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
This cannot be stated in a definitive way as you described. I'd agree I'd bet Love wouldn't out perform either one, nor would I suspect it, but at this point not a soul knows. I pray we don't have to learn either way and Rodgers laces up in Green Bay from the start.
That's why I said would/could. With all the restructures we did to bring it back, I would "feel" more comfortable having a veteran run the offense over Love for this year.... And yes, I pray Rodgers laces them up for us in 2021 also.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again, I think several worse first round picks would be more valuable than one better one. If you can show, in any objective manner, how that wouldn't be, I'm more than willing to reconsider.
Generally I would agree with this premise. The outliers of course are the generational type of talent (Sapp, Suh, Joe Thomas, O. Pace, Moss, Manning, Elway, Luck). Those types seldom come along and even more seldom in multiples in a single draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I said would/could. With all the restructures we did to bring it back, I would "feel" more comfortable having a veteran run the offense over Love for this year.... And yes, I pray Rodgers laces them up for us in 2021 also.

Read too fast and missed the could

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally I would agree with this premise. The outliers of course are the generational type of talent (Sapp, Suh, Joe Thomas, O. Pace, Moss, Manning, Elway, Luck). Those types seldom come along and even more seldom in multiples in a single draft.

Valid point, but even there, if I had a pocket full of number ones to offer for the high pick necessary, might I not be able to trade up? Not to mention that we know that the draft, even in the first round, in a crapshoot that is the ultimate 20/20 hindsight (and that Moss was #21 and Sapp #12). And, I figured the multiple first I'd collect would be in subsequent years, as most teams wouldn't have multiple first in a particular year to trade. Again, all I'm saying is that (for instance) three unknown future number ones (which still could be high, depending on how the team I get them from operates overall) are a reasonable alternative to one really high one.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks you are going to want a QB in return and if we have to move Rodgers we are entering the Love era plain and simple. You are desiring merely a backup with experience and there are VERY VERY few QBs presently available which has experience - let alone as many starts as him in FAs atm.

I'd want the backup to be a guy like Love as opposed to a guy like Lock. Love still has potential to be great Lock has proven he's not. If Love goes down in this case I guess in 2022 Drew Lock isn't going to save your season til Love comes back. Might as well find another guy who still has potential and put him behind Love. Sht Lock could be released by the Broncos next off season for all we know...

Rodgers is not going to be traded in 2021 his options are play for the Packers on a big new extension that makes him the highest paid qb or sit out the season and get traded prior to the draft in 2022 if a team is willing to pay market value...

If the Packers FO give him away for less than what the bears offered for Wilson (not in Rodgers/Mahomes level) they look even dumber than they already do and to quote mark murphy's classic "were not idiots..."

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Responses to a couple of posts.
1. I thought Jones was signed for 2 years and then 2 more void years.
2. I would want Mariota over Carr.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd want the backup to be a guy like Love as opposed to a guy like Lock. Love still has potential to be great Lock has proven he's not. If Love goes down in this case I guess in 2022 Drew Lock isn't going to save your season til Love comes back. Might as well find another guy who still has potential and put him behind Love. Sht Lock could be released by the Broncos next off season for all we know...

Rodgers is not going to be traded in 2021 his options are play for the Packers on a big new extension that makes him the highest paid qb or sit out the season and get traded prior to the draft in 2022 if a team is willing to pay market value...

If the Packers FO give him away for less than what the bears offered for Wilson (not in Rodgers/Mahomes level) they look even dumber than they already do and to quote mark murphy's classic "were not idiots..."

Stop...Manning set the rookie record for INTs his rookie year...other QBs start hot mess as well. Lock has proven nothing on a team which has had numerous offensive issues as that team was built around the defense.

How can folks be so incredibly stubborn or so homer-ish to not realize that Wilson should garner more than Rodgers? Much younger, playing at a ridiculous level which many would argue is on par if not better than Rodgers.

Honestly if the Seahawks called and said we will trade you straight up for Rodgers....Gute and Co would been ignorant fools to not think on that one for a bit. Wilson's cap hits in 2022 and 2023 are more favorable...of course this is all living in a world where Love isn't our succession plan to Rodgers - which even as much as I don't want the Love era in 2021, it is clearly what is happening post-Rodgers no matter when it occurs as of now.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Responses to a couple of posts.
1. I thought Jones was signed for 2 years and then 2 more void years.
2. I would want Mariota over Carr.

Jones can be released after this season but it is much better from a salary cap standpoint if he's released after 2022 or 2023. If released after 2021 the Packers would take a 750 k cap hit because his cap number is 9 million and his dead cap is 9.75 million.

After 2022 they save 12.75 million (6.5 dead)
After 2022 they save 12 million (3.25 dead)

It's likely he will be restructured or released after 2022 because his cap number is nearly 20 million

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones can be released after this season but it is much better from a salary cap standpoint if he's released after 2022 or 2023. If released after 2021 the Packers would take a 750 k cap hit because his cap number is 9 million and his dead cap is 9.75 million.

After 2022 they save 12.75 million (6.5 dead)
After 2022 they save 12 million (3.25 dead)

It's likely he will be restructured or released after 2022 because his cap number is nearly 20 million

Yup, it essentially was a genius move by the Packers and essentially a two year deal - when he will be extended or released.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop...Manning set the rookie record for INTs his rookie year...other QBs start hot mess as well. Lock has proven nothing on a team which has had numerous offensive issues as that team was built around the defense.

How can folks be so incredibly stubborn or so homer-ish to not realize that Wilson should garner more than Rodgers? Much younger, playing at a ridiculous level which many would argue is on par if not better than Rodgers.

Honestly if the Seahawks called and said we will trade you straight up for Rodgers....Gute and Co would been ignorant fools to not think on that one for a bit. Wilson's cap hits in 2022 and 2023 are more favorable...of course this is all living in a world where Love isn't our succession plan to Rodgers - which even as much as I don't want the Love era in 2021, it is clearly what is happening post-Rodgers no matter when it occurs as of now.

Stats aren't the point...once he became the starter did Favre look like he had it right away absolutely, did Rodgers absolutely, did all the rest of the greats pretty much even Manning passed the eye test going 1-15. You knew he was gonna be great despite his team being terrible. I don't think that's the case for Lock...unless I'm missing something?

And the Wilson thing...I'd think about that trade too but I'd want something more than Wilson he's simply not on Aaron Rodgers level and that's agreed upon across the league by execs. All he has over Rodgers is age. Also if you trade for Wilson you have to give him a new contract too and I'm sure gute and co is at least that smart

And im definitely not homerish although Wilson is a uw legend and I did attend that school but never a game haha...not at all a college fan

I'm being realistic where are all these people that think Wilson is as good as Rodgers or Mahomes?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
1) Rodgers signs an extension with the Packers that financially locks him in through the 2023 season. Jordan Love is traded for pick ~40 in the 2022 draft. No one is fired or reprimanded in the front office; there is merely agreement to give him a heads up regarding moves that will directly affect him on the field.

Choosing option one gives Packer fans the best shot at watching another Super Bowl in the near future. Does not guarantee it by any means. It's just the best shot at it. It is very hard to win a Super Bowl without an elite QB.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure what you're looking at but Rodgers has a clear shot to the pylon. If you actually watch the video instead of pretending a still shot shows what is happening, the two defenders at the line are about to get their feet tangled up momentarily and the only guy who has any real chance of keeping Rodgers away from the pylon is the guy up in the corner. MVS is in great position to make a block. If Rodgers tucks the ball away and sprints for the pylon and is willing to possibly dive to get the ball across, his chances of success are at least 50/50. If he pump-fakes toward Adams right before taking off his chances are even higher.

BTW, what was the result of him trying to force the ball to #17 in double coverage on that play? This is all not to mention that if he insisted on throwing the ball, the FAR better option would have been MVS. If he throws the ball a couple yards to the inside from MVS's current position with a little bit of touch, it's a likely TD as well. In almost every way possible it was a **** play from the MVP when it mattered most.

His passer rating in the 4th quarter of that game was about 50. You clearly didn't give that a thought.