Rodgers Vs. Love-- A Packer Fan Poll

Which scenario would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers value will never be higher than it is now.

That's not true at all. Rodgers' value would have been highest before the draft. If the Packers decide to trade him now he would immediately improve the team acquiring him resulting in those draft picks ending up being later in each round.

Everything after the first sentence is true. However, he said never will be, and you address the past.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm voting to keep Rodgers in this hypothetical.

The goal is to win Super Bowls. Rodgers proved in 2020 that he can still be elite within the context of this offense.

Did you watch how he played in the second half of the NFCC? When it mattered most, he choked.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a once in a lifetime chance to get a HAUL for a player (Rodgers) that can result in building a TEAM leading to more than 1 Super Bowl in a 15-year span.

MVPs win SBs. Haul of players might not. There's no guarantee we'd get another HoF'er far less an MVP even if buy players by the dozen.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm voting to keep Rodgers in this hypothetical.

The goal is to win Super Bowls. Rodgers proved in 2020 that he can still be elite within the context of this offense. Three more swings at the piñata with him would outweigh for me the potential reward of building around Love with a ton of resources.

I voted for Rodgers too but I'd prefer to keep Love instead of trading him...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I voted for Rodgers too but I'd prefer to keep Love instead of trading him...

Well my perfect scenario is that we keep both of them as is for one more season. Rodgers plays and they decide what they want to do next offseason. But I don't think that's happening. I think Rodgers is either signing an extension that keeps him here so long that there's little point in keeping Love, or he's not playing again. If he signs the extension, I don't see much of a point in keeping Love.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well my perfect scenario is that we keep both of them as is for one more season. Rodgers plays and they decide what they want to do next offseason. But I don't think that's happening. I think Rodgers is either signing an extension that keeps him here so long that there's little point in keeping Love, or he's not playing again. If he signs the extension, I don't see much of a point in keeping Love.

You'd keep Love because he's great insurance for a Rodgers injury at the very least. But after this year, or next, you'd start testing the water with trades elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually, it is true... You're speaking past tense. I'm speaking present tense.

Everything after the first sentence is true. However, he said never will be, and you address the past.

Semantics. The point being that if the Packers trade Rodgers this offseason there's no doubt they should have done it before the draft. Otherwise that would be another mistake by the front office handling the situation.

Did you watch how he played in the second half of the NFCC? When it mattered most, he choked.

Rodgers had a passer rating of 105.1 in the second half of the NFCCG (19-29, 177 yards, 2 TDs). Tell me once again how he choked.

BR1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my standpoint it’s no brainer. We have the rights on love for at least 2 more seasons let him study learn and grow, we like to say that we have a SB caliber team so we have to capitalize on that , throwing a young QB on that situation is the best way to burn him.
We assume the Rodgers is one of the best at his position right, the evolution of sports has brought the possibility to perform at high level till the 40 even in much more dynamic sports so his knowledge experience and awareness his a great plus.
(Sorry for my bad English I’m from Italy)
In any case go pack go

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MVPs win SBs. Haul of players might not. There's no guarantee we'd get another HoF'er far less an MVP even if buy players by the dozen.
Mvp win SB?

May want to retract that

Only ten players have won the Super Bowl and MVP in the same season: Bart Starr in 1966, Terry Bradshaw in 1978, Mark Moseley in 1982, Lawrence Taylor in 1986, Joe Montana in 1989, Emmitt Smith in 1993, Steve Young in 1994, Brett Favre in 1996, Terrell Davis in 1998, and Kurt Warner in 1999. In these ten cases, all but three regular season MVP winners were also the Super Bowl MVP for their respective games - with Moseley, Taylor, and Favre not completing the duplicate MVP year.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 Super Bowls in 30 years for not only MVP players, but Hall of Fame players. I'll take my chances on spreading the wealth so the team as a whole can benefit.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he did but we have no clue what we have in Love (and I suspect those at 1265 don't know yet either).

No, but I'm sure they have a far better idea of what they have in him than anyone on this forum.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a passer rating of 105.1 in the second half of the NFCCG (19-29, 177 yards, 2 TDs). Tell me once again how he choked.

Rodgers (at Smith): "Get the ball back!"

Smith (and the defense): Gets the ball back for him THREE times and he does NOTHING with those possessions. He had a chance to put his head down and run for a TD and threw it in the damn dirt instead.

You can put up good stats and still be a choker. Choking is failing to show up when the moment of truth arrives.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Smith (and the defense): Gets the ball back for him THREE times and he does NOTHING with those possessions. He had a chance to put his head down and run for a TD and threw it in the damn dirt instead.

You can put up good stats and still be a choker. Choking is failing to show up when the moment of truth arrives.
I thought they went on a 70 yard TD run after one of them. 2 others they went 3 and out and It hink those were inside the 20 at least, maybe closer to 10. That's tough sledding against a great D. Doubly tough when Wagner lets someone run right past him for a sack too. yes he could have did more with 2 other TO's, but then he could have used a little help too.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I voted #1, as I just don't think Love is ready, and it is all about winning Championships... Rodgers gives us the best opportunity for that right now. This roster is still built for a Championship, maybe more so than last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have the rights on love for at least 2 more seasons let him study learn and grow, we like to say that we have a SB caliber team so we have to capitalize on that , throwing a young QB on that situation is the best way to burn him.

Just for the record, Love is under contract for another three years.

2 Super Bowls in 30 years for not only MVP players, but Hall of Fame players. I'll take my chances on spreading the wealth so the team as a whole can benefit.

It's weird how many fans take it for granted that trading an elite player in return for a massive amount of compensation automatically results in the team benefitting from the move.

Take a look at how trading Mack worked out for the Raiders as a cautionary tale.

It's ridiculous to solely blame Rodgers for the offense not scoring on two turnovers created by the defense deep in their own territory.

In addition it would have been close to impossible for him to run in the ball on that third down play.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Semantics. The point being that if the Packers trade Rodgers this offseason there's no doubt they should have done it before the draft. Otherwise that would be another mistake by the front office handling the situation.

This thread and discussion occurred post-draft, not quite semantics :)

The days of Rodgers highest value passed years ago really.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the point being, prior to the draft, a lot more teams were a lot more QB needy than they were post draft. Would that have resulted in a better trade value for us if it happened prior to the draft? I'd say yes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record the ship has sailed on a trade this season even post June 1st... assuming the Packers FO isn't completely incompetent

If/when they trade him it obviously needs to be before or during the draft prior to whatever upcoming season 2022 or 2023 to maximize compensation

Edit: not only because of the more qb needy teams thing mentioned by Mondio...but also the fact that once Rodgers joins whatever team and plays there's a very high likely hood your picks get worse.

If you do it pre draft you can get picks from a bad team that are high in that draft knowing your future picks are very likely to be near the end of the round

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, the Pack FO couldn't tell the trading partner that their draft choices are going to be less valuable and therefore demand more of them (or higher rounds)?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record the ship has sailed on a trade this season even post June 1st... assuming the Packers FO isn't completely incompetent

If/when they trade him it obviously needs to be before or during the draft prior to whatever upcoming season 2022 or 2023 to maximize compensation

Edit: not only because of the more qb needy teams thing mentioned by Mondio...but also the fact that once Rodgers joins whatever team and plays there's a very high likely hood your picks get worse.

If you do it pre draft you can get picks from a bad team that are high in that draft knowing your future picks are very likely to be near the end of the round

Okay I don't mean to downplay this or your thoughts, but Cmon' this is a part of nearly all discussions had in trade negotiations. Gute and Co would know that if say we traded with the Broncos that the chances of that pick being top 15 is low with Rodgers on that roster. Most likely scenario is Rodgers leads them to a better than .500 season and potentially a playoff birth. Everyone knows this, and that is a factor in what each side argues for in a negotiations.

The decision on whether Rodgers gets traded this year or not is almost all in Rodgers' hands - GB has made it clear they wanted and willing to do an extension, he was not. Does he play under his contract or does he not - that is entirely up to him.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I always find it so odd that some fans like yourself treat football like a game of tennis. FYI - There is more than 1 player on offense in football.

ESPN has certainly addled the brain's of sports fans.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always find it so odd that some fans like yourself treat football like a game of tennis. FYI - There is more than 1 player on offense in football.

And the QB has the largest influence on the success of the offense. It boggles my mind that there are still fans who think Rodgers' play hasn't declined at all since his prime.

Latest posts