Rodgers might be released (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I highly doubt anything comes of this. That said, a couple of things:

1) Since Rodgers has 4+ years of NFL service he would not be subject to waivers. He would be an unrestricted free agent.

2) It does not appear that this infraction would be subject to a fine, forfeiture of picks, etc. instead of free agency. This is a provision of the CBA with a specified penalty unlike other team infractions left to the Commissioner to decide. This rule is intended to prevent the stashing of players ("redshirting", etc.) and thereby create a more competitive labor market.

3) It would seem Rodgers would have some say in the outcome in terms of any testimony he'd be asked to give.

4) If he was declared a free agent, I would expect Rodgers could re-sign with the Packers.
All players released after the trade deadline must go through waivers. Been that way for years.

D

Deleted member 6794

All players released after the trade deadline must go through waivers. Been that way for years.

The Packers would have to release him once he's healthy again, which could take until the start of the next league year though.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
thank you vikqueen fan for the update...your boys aren't going anywhere...get the hell outta my driveway.
Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. Boy you guys get testy when you have a bad year.

BTW, The Packers D played a pretty good game last night. That being said, Capers still needs to go if the Packer want to win in the future. Rodgers cannot be the only one carrying the team. And at this point, maybe a new coach. He seems to be stuck in one gear. R, for Rodgers. Rodgers skills are being wasted.

D

Deleted member 6794

You know none of it is true when nobody is quoted, no teams are identified, etc. If this was even possible Ian Rapoport would be the first to say it.

It seems that Adam Schefter has some reliable sources around the league as well though.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that Adam Schefter has some reliable sources around the league as well though.

He does, but has always been good at quoting sources even if they remain anonymous. Last year, someone created a fake Adam Shefter Twitter account to "report" Teddy Bridgewater tore his ACL before anyone even did the drawer test.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Rodgers I'd be praying to God for my release from Teddy's dumpster fire so I could play somewhere that actually has talent to win five games, much less a Super Bowl. Rodgers has got to be sick of carrying this organization on his back.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another reason for Teddy to pack his bags. Him and Capers can split the Uber cost since he doesn't like to spend money anyway.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is such a small deal but people from the outside will overreact. Are people that concerned one more roster spot opens up for a team that is already out of the playoff race in 2017? It's obvious Aaron had one of his worst games of his career last weekend and his shoulder strength was about half of what it normally is. Those throws he under threw Jordy, Cobb, and Adams were throws any other time if they weren't on target, they would be put in a place only a receiver has a chance to catch it. He under threw those balls 5+ yards. How in the **** do other teams really know how healthy Rodgers really is. Guys have different pain tolerances and whose to say even 70% of qb's come back to what Rodgers was dealing with this season? People are looking for reasons just to stir stuff up and Green Bay shouldn't be fined $5 or have even their 7th round pick taken away.

D

Deleted member 6794

Are people that concerned one more roster spot opens up for a team that is already out of the playoff race in 2017?

Thompson should have known about the rule and with the Packers being out of playoff contention kept Rodgers on the active roster, not taking a chance on that matter.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson should have known about the rule and with the Packers being out of playoff contention kept Rodgers on the active roster, not taking a chance on that matter.

You're right, he probably should have checked with the NFL his options, but in a sport where it's sometimes impossible to know how injured a player is, any punishment doesn't fit basically any crime.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd expect a loss of draft choice penalty. 1st round maybe, but the way Ted drafts defense in that round, it isn't much of a hit.

AJ Hawk: not a bust, but a disappointment at 5. Solid player for a lot of years.

Justin Harrell: Bust

BJ Raji: Very good, top tier player for a few years.

Clay Matthews: Star player.

Nick Perry: Good player. Would be very good if he could stay healthy.

Datone Jones: meh. Not a very good player.

HaHa: been a good player. Struggled this year, but was great last year.

Damarious Randall: good rookie year, awful second year, good third year. He's been really good since his benching this year. He was a good pick.

Kenny Clark: great pick. He's awesome.

So 3/8 were poor picks, in hindsight. Considering the majority of those were late first rounders, that's a damn good track record.

TT is very successful on 62.5% of his defensive 1st round picks. Facts are fun!

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right, he probably should have checked with the NFL his options, but in a sport where it's sometimes impossible to know how injured a player is, any punishment doesn't fit basically any crime.

I don't expect the Packers having to release Rodgers as well but it's absolutely unacceptable that Thompson even took the small risk of that happening.

AJ Hawk: not a bust, but a disappointment at 5. Solid player for a lot of years.

Damarious Randall: good rookie year, awful second year, good third year. He's been really good since his benching this year. He was a good pick.

So 3/8 were poor picks, in hindsight. Considering the majority of those were late first rounders, that's a damn good track record.

Maybe this article will help you understand Thompson hasn't been any good at drafting over the past few years:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kings-getting-better-packers-draft/977791001/

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

And what of the picks that have left the Packers and are doing well?

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
The fact that there isn't a provision for players who have been deemed not to have fully healed to be placed back on IR is ridiculous and I expect the NFL to change the rule in the offseason.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this article will help you understand Thompson hasn't been any good at drafting over the past few years:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kings-getting-better-packers-draft/977791001/

I understand reading is difficult, but the post I quoted referenced 1st round defensive picks. So that is what I referenced. Do you understand?

To respond to that article, we have good defensive players. We have plenty of talent. We have a **** poor scheme. Try to understand that scheme can make an excellent player look good (and vise versa) and a good player look bad (and vise versa). TT has definitely missed on some picks. He's not an awful drafter, and anybody who thinks he is, is ignorant of football talent. I understand being pissed at him for free agency, or for his lack of desire to fire coaches, but his drafting is more than fine.

And I don't care what Dougherty says, Randall > Kendricks. CB is more important than LB.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per the USA Today article on this.

Sure, by the letter of the law, it’s what’s required here, but it doesn’t really fulfill the spirit of the law, which is why it’s hard to see the NFL clamping down so ******* Green Bay for what is. It is, for all intents and purposes, a logistical error. Handing out punishments for errors like that is a slippery slope to start down on.

The main issue, as the article describes, is teams wanting the issue rectified so it doesn’t become the norm, even though they don’t actually think Rodgers would be released. But nevertheless: Technically, there’s a chance of that happening anyway. And for some fans, that may be all you need to hear.

D

Deleted member 6794

To respond to that article, we have good defensive players. We have plenty of talent. We have a **** poor scheme. Try to understand that scheme can make an excellent player look good (and vise versa) and a good player look bad (and vise versa). TT has definitely missed on some picks. He's not an awful drafter, and anybody who thinks he is, is ignorant of football talent. I understand being pissed at him for free agency, or for his lack of desire to fire coaches, but his drafting is more than fine.

As I've mentioned repeatedly there's no way for any of us to fairly evaluate the talent level on defense as long as the Packers hold on to Thompson and Capers. While it's possible there are several talented players on that side of the ball I would prefer the team to not take any chances and replace both of them this offseason.

In addition the mishandling of putting Rodgers on injured reserve possibly resulting in losing him should automatically end Thompson's tenure in Green Bay.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Randall's performance has improved over the course of the season but until he shows more consistency I'm reticent to put him under the hit catagory. If there is as much talent on the defensive side of the ball as some claim, you should wind up in the top 15 in every key catagory by accident. Instead we struggle to beat teams like the Bucs and Browns.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Per the USA Today article on this.

Sure, by the letter of the law, it’s what’s required here, but it doesn’t really fulfill the spirit of the law, which is why it’s hard to see the NFL clamping down so ******* Green Bay for what is. It is, for all intents and purposes, a logistical error. Handing out punishments for errors like that is a slippery slope to start down on.

The main issue, as the article describes, is teams wanting the issue rectified so it doesn’t become the norm, even though they don’t actually think Rodgers would be released. But nevertheless: Technically, there’s a chance of that happening anyway. And for some fans, that may be all you need to hear.

Once again, I don't expect the league to force the Packers to release Rodgers either but Thompson taking even a small risk of that happening should result in him being relieved of his duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts