Rodgers might be released (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that holds to be true I'm interested in the explanation of some posters as to why Thompson is a great general manager.
Who is responsible for placing players on IR? Is it the coach or the general manager? Someone else?
I can't imagine the league forcing the Packers to release their star quarterback, but if that were to happen oh man heads would roll.
The earth would probably crack open right through the middle of Lambeau Field.

OP
OP
G

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is responsible for placing players on IR? Is it the coach or the general manager? Someone else?
I can't imagine the league forcing the Packers to release their star quarterback, but if that were to happen oh man heads would roll.
The earth would probably crack open right through the middle of Lambeau Field.
I could see them doing it because it would mean Rodgers would be a Cleveland Brown per waivers. Imagine the publicity for that.

D

Deleted member 6794

The general manager is responsible for making moves like that as well as being aware of the rules.

I could see them doing it because it would mean Rodgers would be a Cleveland Brown per waivers. Imagine the publicity for that.

The Browns most likely would forget to put in a claim for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I wasn't aware of that rule and I don't expect the move resulting in the Packers having to release Rodgers it's absolutely mind-boggling that Thompson took that chance in the first place. He should be fired based solely on that.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd expect a loss of draft choice penalty. 1st round maybe, but the way Ted drafts defense in that round, it isn't much of a hit.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If Rodgers got released I would be more depressed than if I found out my fiancé was cheating on me. It would be a nice diet, because I would be too sick to eat. Then come September I would endure extreme ridicule when the Packers go 0-16 to take the Browns title.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If in the remote chances the NFL does Release him lets just say there will be many riots outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave calling for the head of TT and rest of the coaching staff that blundered the rules.

OP
OP
G

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wasn't aware of that rule and I don't expect the move resulting in the Packers having to release Rodgers it's absolutely mind-boggling that Thompson took that chance in the first place. He should be fired based solely on that.
Add McCarthy and Murphy to that mix too.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If Rodgers got released I would be more depressed than if I found out my fiancé was cheating on me. It would be a nice diet, because I would be too sick to eat. Then come September I would endure extreme ridicule when the Packers go 0-16 to take the Browns title.
Might get your wish as besides division, the Redskins and 3rd place NFC south team we get

Arizona Cardinals,Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Why couldet they toss Rodgers on the PUP for two weeks instead?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
(if) this were to happen....fire. every. damn. body.

Once they get fired they will have to go into Witness Protection as they will be chased outside of the state and become Public Enemy #1

D

Deleted member 6794

Why couldet they toss Rodgers on the PUP for two weeks instead?

It seems the Packers should have kept Rodgers on the active roster for the last two weeks. Teams are allowed to put players on the PUP list during the preseason only.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we get docked one of our first decent draft position picks in so long
i'm gonna rage quit football

RepStar15

Reaction score
I suggest you seek professional help. Or a new fiance.
No the fiancé is a keeper, because he knows he comes second to football. And loosing Aaron rodgers because of Ted Thompson’s stupidity would be the worst possible thing that could ever happen to this franchise.

RepStar15

Reaction score
if we get docked one of our first decent draft position picks in so long
i'm gonna rage quit football
I think we would likely get a fine because it’s a first offense of doing something shady. Patriots got caught “bending the rules” and wasn’t docked a draft pick until the second time.

H

HardRightEdge

I highly doubt anything comes of this. That said, a couple of things:

1) Since Rodgers has 4+ years of NFL service he would not be subject to waivers. He would be an unrestricted free agent.

2) It does not appear that this infraction would be subject to a fine, forfeiture of picks, etc. instead of free agency. This is a provision of the CBA with a specified penalty unlike other team infractions left to the Commissioner to decide. This rule is intended to prevent the stashing of players ("redshirting", etc.) and thereby create a more competitive labor market.

3) It would seem Rodgers would have some say in the outcome in terms of any testimony he'd be asked to give.

4) If he was declared a free agent, I would expect Rodgers could re-sign with the Packers...if he wanted to...which would create an interesting situation.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is zero chance this happens. How exactly would a team quantify that he wasn't reinjured/ newly injured, unless mm/TT called a presser saying "we shut him down for his old injury bc our season is over".

Non issue, but interesting read on the intricacies of the IR rule. I don't learn much new about football, this was a fun "did you know" tidbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts