Rodgers might be released (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule clearly states that a player being put on injured reserve must have suffered an injury that would sideline him for at least six weeks. That might be tough to argue for the Packers as Rodgers was able to play in a game two days earlier and seemingly didn't get injured during it.

Written rules are subject to customary practice, it seems that the league has not applied said rule to the letter. Apparently the team also received prior approval, non-issue. If the team Doc maintains that the injury creates an enhanced risk of additional injury for say 6 weeks then its unlikely that the league would bother challenging the transaction.

D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently the team also received prior approval, non-issue. If the team Doc maintains that the injury creates an enhanced risk of additional injury for say 6 weeks then its unlikely that the league would bother challenging the transaction.

Another aspect that hasn't been discussed as fans take it for granted that Rodgers is loyal to the Packers is that he could possibly deny having suffered another injury vs. the Panthers. I wonder about the league's reaction if that happened. The move didn't result in any benefit for the team but left them with a minimal risk of losing their franchise quarterback. Therefore it was an extremely stupid thing to do.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Zuerlein went on IR because of a back problem he had been playing through all season after he "slept on it funny." That's not a new injury either. Not much different.

I don't think Greg Zurlein was placed on IR then came back after 6 weeks and was placed on IR again? Its very Different IMO

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly. they needed league approval and got it. end of story.
I agree that this is most likely a non-story.
But if the team needs league approval, and league approval means they didn't violate any rules, then how is it possible that any team could EVER violate the rules?
It doesn't make sense. IMO, if the league approves it, but later finds out things weren't on the up and up, then it's going to fall on the team.
Although as has been said, it doesn't appear as if the league is currently concerned with enforcing this.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at a tweak to the rules. Maybe something along the lines of one visit to the IR per season. Starting the league year on IR doesn't count towards the one.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, while the NFL allowed the Packers to put Rodgers on injured reserve it's possible that an investigation detects the team violated the rules by making the move which could result in a penalty. It was extremely stupid to risk something like that happening as there was no benefit doing it.
This is the biggest mountain of a mole hill I've ever seen. It's a NON ISSUE. It's nothing different than teams have done for years and no team has ever been forced to release a player. The only reason anyone is making this look like a bigger deal than it is is because the player in question wears green and gold and wears a 12 on his jersey. There's nothing "extremely stupid" about it no matter how much the haters want it to be.

Another aspect that hasn't been discussed as fans take it for granted that Rodgers is loyal to the Packers is that he could possibly deny having suffered another injury vs. the Panthers. I wonder about the league's reaction if that happened. The move didn't result in any benefit for the team but left them with a minimal risk of losing their franchise quarterback. Therefore it was an extremely stupid thing to do.

Do you want to know what the chances are of us losing Rodgers? It's a big fat ZERO. This is ROUTINE PRACTICE in the closing weeks of the season every year. Get over it already.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Extremely stupid is pushing this towards 7 pages when it doesn't deserve to be 1. all it proves is some really have a strong hate for Thompson and people really pay attention when Rodgers is involved.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I also thought about this scenario. For this reason alone, it was a stupid thing to do.

Rodgers might be dedicated to the Packers and might not make a deal of it, but as you alluded to, it's just silly to even risk such a scenario developing, as unlikely as it might be.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Extremely stupid is pushing this towards 7 pages when it doesn't deserve to be 1. all it proves is some really have a strong hate for Thompson and people really pay attention when Rodgers is involved.

Also proves that we don't have anything football-related to discuss here any more.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly. they needed league approval and got it. end of story. as the great Andrew Brandt put it, "guys are put on IR for hangnails this time of year."
Just another opportunity to call our GM 'extremey stupid' for some posters whether it makes any sense or not.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think nothing comes of it. But for a supposedly great GM to even do that is dumb. What is even more alarming is the looks and expressions on TT’s face during the vikes game. Granted he has more football knowledge in his pinky than I will ever know,he seriously appears to have had a stroke or suffer from a physical condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts