Rodgers might be released (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly there's no way for any of us to fairly evaluate the talent level on defense as long as the Packers hold on to Thompson and Capers. While it's possible there are several talented players on that side of the ball I would prefer the team to not take any chances and replace both of them this offseason.

In addition the mishandling of putting Rodgers on injured reserve possibly resulting in losing him should automatically end Thompson's tenure in Green Bay.

It's possible?!

Rodgers, Adams, Bakh, Taylor, Linsley, Bulaga, Williams, Jones, Monty. At least 9 offensive players that are unarguably, talented on any team. I would throw Cobb in, but I don't need to.

Daniels, Clark, Martinez, CM3, Perry, Lowry, Dix, Burnett, Jones, Randall, King. There is talent. The coaching is lacking.

Several talented players. Lmao.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. Boy you guys get testy when you have a bad year.

BTW, The Packers D played a pretty good game last night. That being said, Capers still needs to go if the Packer want to win in the future. Rodgers cannot be the only one carrying the team. And at this point, maybe a new coach. He seems to be stuck in one gear. R, for Rodgers. Rodgers skills are being wasted.

When a team has a bad year as the Packers have and their weaknesses are exposed it is up to the GM to admit that things are not working and make some real changes. If the Packers do not make significant changes -- and that includes what players and coaches they keep and those they don't -- and if there is isn't a change in philosophy as to how to build a championship team, then f--k them. Firing Capers is only one step in that thing that MM so loves to talk about, i.e. the "process". I do not have faith in TT to make the changes. I do believe he should go as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Randall's performance has improved over the course of the season but until he shows more consistency I'm reticent to put him under the hit catagory. If there is as much talent on the defensive side of the ball as some claim, you should wind up in the top 15 in every key catagory by accident. Instead we struggle to beat teams like the Bucs and Browns.

He was hurt the majority of last year. It's almost impossible to be a good CB while hurt.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a huge risk to field Rodgers last week. Some of those hits he took , took the breath right out of me.
Who is to say he didn't jar the fix and prolong his recovery? That's a huge assumption to think GB brass put him on ir because we missed the playoffs...
And let's not forget that this is a hall of famer career we are risking with a second break on that bone... he said he had soreness, and that for me, along with that picture that's burned in my head of Rodgers being smeared into the turf, shoulder first, by a defensive tackle... that's plenty reason to second guess the aggressive decision to rush him back... he should never have been taken off injured reserve in the first place.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The general manager is responsible for making moves like that as well as being aware of the rules.

The Browns most likely would forget to put in a claim for him.

More like they do something the Packers couldn't do with him - win 2 Super Bowls.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
The NFL had to approve Rodgers going on IR.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ns-nothing-unusual-rodgers-ir-move/979739001/

"According to the report, IR rules mandate that if a player goes on IR he has to be medically unable to play for at least six weeks, and if he’s healthy before six weeks then the team has to release him when he’s cleared. That might be the letter of the law, but teams at the end of the season routinely put guys on IR whose injuries will make them miss the rest of the season but wouldn’t sideline them for six weeks. As former Packers front-office executive Andrew Brandt tweeted, “Good luck with that. Players with hang nails are put on IR this time of year.” The league already has signed off on Rodgers going on IR, so it’s a done deal. I guarantee you every team that called the league office to complain – the ESPN report said only that it was multiple teams – has done something similar in the last few years. This is a big nothing."

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another caveat in all this is now that turd Martellus Bennett will have a case against the Packers trying to retrieve his signing bonus. Now he and his reps can just say "Hey, if they can have even Rodgers play hurt, why wouldn't they force me to play injured?"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This will become something, if ....another team can show that this rule was enforced in the past and if the Packers can't prove that they didn't violate it. If a precedent was set, it won't matter if it was Jeff Janis or Aaron Rodgers that was IR'd, other teams will try to force the league into upholding a rule that was upheld in the past. The fact that it IS Aaron Rodgers will make this something that will be top news and top priority for other teams to put heat on the front office.

Anyone know if the rule has been tested in the past and what were the results?

As Captain and a few others pointed out, the fact that this could even be happening lands squarely on TT. WTF were you thinking Ted? Did you somehow save the team $6 on game meals by IR'ing #12? No excuse for even coming close to toeing a line with the Franchise.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
More proof Thomspon shouldn't be the GM of this team. The whole thing has become a "Clown Show"

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Murphy doesn’t fire Ted and Mike, the board must immediately fire Murphy.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we know that the NFL already approved it, but the NFL is going to go back and make us release Rodgers?

Wow. Fire TT.

Might I add again, because I'm feeling extra jolly due to the holidays, the majority of you are a bunch of morons. You will find/use any excuse to hate on TT. We have plenty if you really want to, you don't need to make them up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ns-nothing-unusual-rodgers-ir-move/979739001/

"According to the report, IR rules mandate that if a player goes on IR he has to be medically unable to play for at least six weeks, and if he’s healthy before six weeks then the team has to release him when he’s cleared. That might be the letter of the law, but teams at the end of the season routinely put guys on IR whose injuries will make them miss the rest of the season but wouldn’t sideline them for six weeks. As former Packers front-office executive Andrew Brandt tweeted, “Good luck with that. Players with hang nails are put on IR this time of year.” The league already has signed off on Rodgers going on IR, so it’s a done deal. I guarantee you every team that called the league office to complain – the ESPN report said only that it was multiple teams – has done something similar in the last few years. This is a big nothing."
Anybody looking for another reason to complain should read, re-read and then digest.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If this was an article in the Onion or some other #Fake news source, most of us would be laughing it off. Whether anything becomes of it or not, Adam Schefter does carry some credibility and the story does have some merit for discussion. Those who are 100% convinced that it's just drivel and nonsensical, why even bother to keep commenting on it?

Never know what can become of things like this in the NFL. I remember people totally laughing about a couple of underinflated balls.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because the league "approved" the transaction does NOT mean the league is certifying it was a proper transaction. If the verbage says "new injury" then it would come down to... has the league in the past allowed a player to go back on IR when it becomes evident through stressing it during play or reaggravation that he shouldnt be playing. It also matters about precedent of the "6 weeks " vs the end of the season. Now.... if Rodgers really wants to screw over the Packers and escape GB he could probably cause trouble, but I don't there's actually any way he gets his freedom. But if he did A) while the Browns may technically have "dibs" on him I think he could force his way to virtually anywhere he wanted to go. B) why would Cleveland be so bad? TT's superstars had to go OT to beat them even with the almighty MM coaching them. Maybe the underlying talent levels are not that different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts