Rodgers miffed about loss of Van Pelt

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this team is so damn talented how come they couldn’t overcome Rodgers injury this year? if you did not notice the nfc championship game this year featured both teams with back up qbs. Nevertheless we looked like a monkey having his way with a football the remainder of the season after Rodgers went down. None of these talented fellas were able to step up or what was the reason???

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut the dead weight is exactly right! Can’t continue to pay guys to be top 5 in the league at their respective positions and get top 100 type play.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There hasn't been a Reggie White, since Reggie White. Sure some guys have had some spurts, but nothing like Reggie was play and in and play out, year after year. But yeah, we should just go sign a player that hasn't been available to the entire league for decades.

The point is all are big "Championship Defenses" brought in outside help and loaded up the offense with the draft. We need to start drafting offense early and heavy before it's too late.

Use free agency to shore up defense.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If this team is so damn talented how come they couldn’t overcome Rodgers injury this year? if you did not notice the nfc championship game this year featured both teams with back up qbs. Nevertheless we looked like a monkey having his way with a football the remainder of the season after Rodgers went down. None of these talented fellas were able to step up or what was the reason???
Best post in this thread.

This whole "the backup QB" ruined it for us is laughable. Somehow other teams are able to maintain with backups.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This whole "the backup QB" ruined it for us is laughable. Somehow other teams are able to maintain with backups.

What's laughable is thinking all backup QB's are equal.

What some people are suggesting is that the team isn't horrible outside of Rodgers. Nobody is saying we're stacked with talent. If people want to create that argument in their imagination, that's perfectly fine, but maybe they should keep it in their imagination.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Rodgers has been outspoken in the past things haven't always worked out (James Jones, Cobb's contract). Best to leave the decisions up to management.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You understand that it really helps when the backup QB doesn't suck right? Do you honestly think the vikings and Eagles would have gone as far with Hundley at the helm as opposed to the guys they had?

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they didn't consult Aaron Rodgers and he is mad about it. I can understand that but here is the other option.

MM- Hey Aaron, we are thinking about moving on from AVP, what do you think.
AR- Gee Mike, I really love the guy and I think he is a pretty good coach. I think we should keep him around.
MM- Thanks for the input Aaron, we are going to move on anyway but we just wanted to consult with you because you are so important to us and all.
AR- You wanted my opinion, I gave it and you ignored it. Now I'm mad.

Same result. AVP is gone and AR is mad. The only question is whether its better to have him mad because he wasn't consulted or have him mad because he was consulted and his opinion was ignored.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You understand that it really helps when the backup QB doesn't suck right? Do you honestly think the vikings and Eagles would have gone as far with Hundley at the helm as opposed to the guys they had?
Who’s fault is that? Keeping a guy that “talented” around for this amount of time. And still hanging on to him now, cmon man.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's going to be lost in all of this again is Rodgers is a pro, he knows what's up, and he's going to prepare himself like always to win games. employees get mad about decisions all the time, even really good employees and really really important ones too. It's what professionals do. i'm sure this is affecting very little and he's not going to be consulted on other FO matters in the future either.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who’s fault is that? Keeping a guy that “talented” around for this amount of time. And still hanging on to him now, cmon man.

Now that is a better take.

Thing with QB's, is you just don't know til it's live. Look at Hundley...he has a good arm, he can be accurate, and he can run, where are his issues?? His issues are with pressure. He didn't seem to be able to handle that mentally and process...it's one of those things you just don't see in practice as well as live. But yeah, we need to improve there. Need to.

I don't see the point in cutting him now, though. Bring in competition, see who can win the backup battle. Then cut the loser.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they didn't consult Aaron Rodgers and he is mad about it. I can understand that but here is the other option.

MM- Hey Aaron, we are thinking about moving on from AVP, what do you think.
AR- Gee Mike, I really love the guy and I think he is a pretty good coach. I think we should keep him around.
MM- Thanks for the input Aaron, we are going to move on anyway but we just wanted to consult with you because you are so important to us and all.
AR- You wanted my opinion, I gave it and you ignored it. Now I'm mad.

Same result. AVP is gone and AR is mad. The only question is whether its better to have him mad because he wasn't consulted or have him mad because he was consulted and his opinion was ignored.

Or, more likely, Rodgers appreciates the chance to give his input and MM is able to explain his decision in private, giving Rodgers the opportunity to understand WHY the coaching staff decided to move on. It is very possible for two parties to disagree on something without one party being upset. Usually that requires communication though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Thing with QB's, is you just don't know til it's live. Look at Hundley...he has a good arm, he can be accurate, and he can run, where are his issues?? His issues are with pressure. He didn't seem to be able to handle that mentally and process...it's one of those things you just don't see in practice as well as live. But yeah, we need to improve there. Need to.

I don't see the point in cutting him now, though. Bring in competition, see who can win the backup battle. Then cut the loser.

Agree. If every team cut bait with a player after what really what was a "rookie performance season" by Hundley, there wouldn't be many players left on a Roster. As bad as Hundley was at time, so are most green QB's early in their careers. It would be foolish not to bring him into camp, along with Calahan and a veteran journeyman. May the best guy backup AR.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or maybe his issue is with coaching? I mean, how many designed run plays did the coaching staff put into place for Hundley? I am certainly not trying to argue that most of the blame for his performance should be placed on the coaches (though I DO blame the coaches for not being aware of how much they needed a better backup), but I do think that MM's QB development abilities are VASTLY overrated.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or, more likely, Rodgers appreciates the chance to give his input and MM is able to explain his decision in private, giving Rodgers the opportunity to understand WHY the coaching staff decided to move on. It is very possible for two parties to disagree on something without one party being upset. Usually that requires communication though.

Only problem I see with that is that you are setting up a precedent, consulting with players over matters that are usually just FO decisions. Was Aaron consulted on bringing Philbin back? Was Clay Matthews consulted about the firing of Capers?

You have to draw the line somewhere and this is a case of the Packers doing that and sticking to the line.....get over it Aaron.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only problem I see with that is that you are setting up a precedent, consulting with players over matters that are usually just FO decisions. Was Aaron consulted on bringing Philbin back? Was Clay Matthews consulted about the firing of Capers?

You have to draw the line somewhere and this is a case of the Packers doing that and sticking to the line.....get over it Aaron.

Yes, i am perfectly ok with setting the precedent that the best player in the NFL needs to be consulted before making coaching moves that directly impact him. That doesn't mean that Rodgers gets veto power, it just means you involve him in the decision and explain why it's happening.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodgers also said he wants to play into his 40's like Brady and understands that might not happen with the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, i am perfectly ok with setting the precedent that the best player in the NFL needs to be consulted before making coaching moves that directly impact him. That doesn't mean that Rodgers gets veto power, it just means you involve him in the decision and explain why it's happening.

There is your rub....."consulted". Even a great player like AR is just another player on a roster of 53+ guys. Didn't we already see the pitfalls of placing one guy ahead of the other players with Brett Favre? Now if AR wants to try to contractually include his being consulted when a coaching change occurs, he should try to do so, good luck with that.

I realize people are all worried about pissing off one of the greatest Packers ever, but even AR himself should understand the lines between players and management. This wasn't AR's decision to be made or consulted with over.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again, this has been in the works since early 2016.

It would've been very easy for Van Pelt and Rodgers to discuss this themselves. Ya know, since they're so close and stuff.

End of the day, this is a non-story and we won't remember it come next season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Again, this has been in the works since early 2016.

It would've been very easy for Van Pelt and Rodgers to discuss this themselves. Ya know, since they're so close and stuff.

End of the day, this is a non-story and we won't remember it come next season.

Yeah, well be busy talking about this "Championship Defense" that keeps purging our draft picks. :eek:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Foles isnt a a real backup...he is very capable starter amd has proven himself

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Foles cost the Eagles approximately $5.5M this season, Keenum cost the Vikings $2M, worthwhile investments as it turns out.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Were any of you consulted when your supervisors were released ? I sure as hell wasn`t, and I`m the best Airport security officer I know.