Rodgers miffed about loss of Van Pelt

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If this has been discussed elsewhere, my apologies. Just seen a snippet of Demovsky's story. It looks like Rodgers did a sit down with someone and discussed how he wishes he would have been consulted about Van Pelt. I don't have time to post the link so if someone else has seen it, please do so.

Interesting to say the least.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-is-not-happy-about-losing-his-coach/

Van Pelt was offered an extension last season, he chose to pass it up. Moving on from him may have been something desired by both sides.

Rodgers is not one to bite his tongue on how he feels and this seems to be the case here. I'm not too worried about it and hope he and the new QB coach, Frank Cignetti, have a good working relationship once the Media dust settles.

I love AR as our QB, but really not his decision. Could he have been "consulted or talked to" about it before the move was made, maybe, but no matter how good a player is, this isn't his decision to make.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this has been discussed elsewhere, my apologies. Just seen a snippet of Demovsky's story. It looks like Rodgers did a sit down with someone and discussed how he wishes he would have been consulted about Van Pelt. I don't have time to post the link so if someone else has seen it, please do so.

Interesting to say the least.

This morning actually on Golic and Wingo, he sounded perturbed, he doesn't seem at all happy with the organization, this is beginning to be like Favre, although they "forced him" out per say... We shall see if it is just smoke and mirrors.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Van Pelt has known about this since early 2016, it's odd that somebody with such a "close" relationship with Rodgers wouldn't talk about it with him.

Rodgers does not have to know every move the coaches make, nor does he have to be consulted with. They certainly may, but coaches coach and players play. Rodgers has a tendency to act petulant, and this is just one of those occasions. Something like this isn't going to be the reason he re-signs or doesn't, so I'm not too worried about it.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the media being bored and trying to make something out of nothing. Nothing to see her folks, keep on moving.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
When Rodgers is gone and were finally back in the toilet for good then people will start to finally get it and it will be to late.

This is the "Aaron Rodgers Show" and if last season didn't prove it then nothing will. Time to quit with these defensive heavy mock drafts and all this pandering over either Edge or Corner. It's gotten ridiculous.

Go sign Rodgers some offensive talent he deserves and draft him Courtland Sutton. Let's see what he can really do with a level playing field of offensive talent. Pettine has a ton of talent according to all the Thompson lovers. According to many it was all because of Capers. Capers is gone and Pettine needs to figure it out. I could see adding a Demario Davis and a Mo Claiborne but that would be about it.

Let's give Aaron what he deserves before we kill the one thing we have going for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Good thing" this happened during Super Bowl week or it would be Feeding Frenzy kind of news for the NFL World.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Rodgers is gone and were finally back in the toilet for good then people will start to finally get it and it will be to late.

This is the "Aaron Rodgers Show" and if last season didn't prove it then nothing will. Time to quit with these defensive heavy mock drafts and all this pandering over either Edge or Corner. It's gotten ridiculous.

Go sign Rodgers some offensive talent he deserves and draft him Courtland Sutton. Let's see what he can really do with a level playing field of offensive talent. Pettine has a ton of talent according to all the Thompson lovers. According to many it was all because of Capers. Capers is gone and Pettine needs to figure it out. I could see adding a Demario Davis and a Mo Claiborne but that would be about it.

Let's give Aaron what he deserves before we kill the one thing we have going for us.
Giving Rodgers the ball more often and more favorable field position is helping him.

According to AR, lovers he can do it all himself. So why draft offense?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This probably has more to do with Hundley's lack of performance than Rodgers.

Go sign Rodgers some offensive talent he deserves .
I would agree if they hadn't overhauled the defensive coaching staff and the GM position during the offseason. Had Capers stayed, continuing to throw draft picks down the drain in the hopes our defense would improve would be a fool's quest. Now I'm thinking maybe the new regime might want some key pieces. But I agree these defense-heavy drafts have depleted the offense, it's in dire need of some new weapons IMO.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with the Packers moving on from Alex Van Pelt, but I find it odd they wouldn't discuss it with AR beforehand. It's not AR's decision but his opinion is kind of important to consider.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
didn't his contract run out? and even if he was "fired" who cares. Nobody is above the team, ever, anywhere. Players play, coaches coach. players do not fill the Front office, the front office and coaches fill their staff. Even the greats need to be taught, coached and held accountable. Whether van Pelt wanted to move on, his contract ran out and they didn't come to terms for a new one, didn't want to give him a new one, or thought someone else would be better at conveying game plans, building mechanics, maintaining levels of play, breaking things down than the old guy, then so be it. When Rodgers becomes a coach, he can hire his own guys.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah screw Rodgers. We did just FINE with the other guy we groomed for 3 years LOL
a better example would be when Favre thought he was bigger than the team, and you know what? We did do just fine with the guy we groomed for 3 years. Here's the thing, Rodgers is a pro, this is all stupid. He's not dumb enough to let this even be anything. the other thing is, nobody's friends are going to be hired or kept on because they're friends. Rodgers wasn't consulted on who the GM should be, he wasn't consulted on who the OC should be. He's not consulted about who we should draft or what FA's to talk to. He's a player and he controls what he can control. But should he come to a point in his career where he thinks he's bigger than the team, it's time to move on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
a better example would be when Favre thought he was bigger than the team, and you know what? We did do just fine with the guy we groomed for 3 years. Here's the thing, Rodgers is a pro, this is all stupid. He's not dumb enough to let this even be anything. the other thing is, nobody's friends are going to be hired or kept on because they're friends. Rodgers wasn't consulted on who the GM should be, he wasn't consulted on who the OC should be. He's not consulted about who we should draft or what FA's to talk to. He's a player and he controls what he can control. But should he come to a point in his career where he thinks he's bigger than the team, it's time to move on.

He is bigger then the current team. It's a 4-12 **** without him and maybe worse. People think we have all this talent on the offensive side of the ball and it's funny. Other then Adams the cupboards are pretty bare.

He has every right to be a little pissed that they took away his QB coach. This was my concern with removing some of the familiarity on offense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Giving Rodgers the ball more often and more favorable field position is helping him.

According to AR, lovers he can do it all himself. So why draft offense?

You give an elite QB elite weapons and then you have an elite offense.;)

I can understand how that might be hard for you to figure out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This probably has more to do with Hundley's lack of performance than Rodgers.

I would agree if they hadn't overhauled the defensive coaching staff and the GM position during the offseason. Had Capers stayed, continuing to throw draft picks down the drain in the hopes our defense would improve would be a fool's quest. Now I'm thinking maybe the new regime might want some key pieces. But I agree these defense-heavy drafts have depleted the offense, it's in dire need of some new weapons IMO.

They spent the first four rounds on defense last year. Tired of all these posters saying it was all Capers and the exact same posters want more premium capital spent on defense this year. Start drafting offense and use free agency to fill immediate holes on defense the rest of the way out with Rodgers. It's our only chance.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what Rodgers had to say on the subject? He said we need to return to a championship level defense to win a super bowl. Doesn't seem like he's concerned about his side of the ball.

The cupboard on offense is far from bare. We have a very good OL. We have a couple good backs. We have Adams. We need more depth at WR, and we need a good TE, but the cupboard isn't bare.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You know what Rodgers had to say on the subject? He said we need to return to a championship level defense to win a super bowl. Doesn't seem like he's concerned about his side of the ball.

The cupboard on offense is far from bare. We have a very good OL. We have a couple good backs. We have Adams. We need more depth at WR, and we need a good TE, but the cupboard isn't bare.

Then go make "Championship Defense Moves". Go out and get a Charles Woodson and Reggie White and Nick Collins type players.

And if you can't then make the offense elite.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then go make "Championship Defense Moves". Go out and get a Charles Woodson and Reggie White and Nick Collins type players.

And if you can't then make the offense elite.

You see any of those guys available in FA? You make it sound like it's easy, snap your fingers and done. I think it's a bit more complex than you realize.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There hasn't been a Reggie White, since Reggie White. Sure some guys have had some spurts, but nothing like Reggie was play and in and play out, year after year. But yeah, we should just go sign a player that hasn't been available to the entire league for decades.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You see any of those guys available in FA? You make it sound like it's easy, snap your fingers and done. I think it's a bit more complex than you realize.

Richard Sherman can be got. Earl Thomas can be too. The Seahawks are desperate. I think Demario Davis is a diamond in the rough on the Jets. Demarcus Lawrence is set to be a free agent. Well see what Gute can do.

Need to cut some of this dead weight and "Upgrade". Im not saying we can get all those guys but a couple "game changers" is gonna be needed to make this a "Championship Level Defense"

Otherwise it's make the offense elite and hope Pettine can make the D top 15 and win it that way.

Members online

Latest posts