Rodgers miffed about loss of Van Pelt

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is your rub....."consulted". Even a great player like AR is just another player on a roster of 53+ guys. Didn't we already see the pitfalls of placing one guy ahead of the other players with Brett Favre? Now if AR wants to try to contractually include his being consulted when a coaching change occurs, he should try to do so, good luck with that.

I realize people are all worried about pissing off one of the greatest Packers ever, but even AR himself should understand the lines between players and management. This wasn't AR's decision to be made or consulted with over.

I understand your point. We need to make sure these players are put in their place and act like the good little employees the rest of the world is forced to act like. Problem is that the REALLY good players aren't just employees. They are the sport. Rodgers is more important to the team than his boss. That's a fact. Tell me of any other situation in the real world where the guy who is more valuable and more necessary for the running of a business has to sit down and do what he's told by a guy who doesn't matter as much as they do. It doesn't happen anywhere else and yet, for some weird reason, we expect it to happen in sports because we call one guy "coach" and the other guy "player".

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were any of you consulted when your supervisors were released ? I sure as hell wasn`t, and I`m the best Airport security officer I know.

That's a terrible analogy. Outside of sports I can't think of any scenario where the supervisor is FAR less important to the company than the supervised. People pay to see Rodgers play football, not MM wander around on the sideline.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your point. We need to make sure these players are put in their place and act like the good little employees the rest of the world is forced to act like. Problem is that the REALLY good players aren't just employees. They are the sport. Rodgers is more important to the team than his boss. That's a fact. Tell me of any other situation in the real world where the guy who is more valuable and more necessary for the running of a business has to sit down and do what he's told by a guy who doesn't matter as much as they do. It doesn't happen anywhere else and yet, for some weird reason, we expect it to happen in sports because we call one guy "coach" and the other guy "player".
no, he is not. Rodgers on a team without a good coach and other players will be just another player. A good one, but nothing good will come of it. We see talented guys every year fall flat on their faces. It takes everyone. FO, Staff, Trainers, and players. They all have THEIR job to do.

it's like arguing what's more important, the brain or the *******. Just when the brain thinks it's so smart the ******* puckers and makes him full of ****. It's all important that they all do their jobs. Rodgers is the quarterback, not the headcoach or GM. He's smart enough to know that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That's a terrible analogy. Outside of sports I can't think of any scenario where the supervisor is FAR less important to the company than the supervised. People pay to see Rodgers play football, not MM wander around on the sideline.

I`m sorry, I can`t tell if you are being serious here or not.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were any of you consulted when your supervisors were released ? I sure as hell wasn`t, and I`m the best Airport security officer I know.

Wut? Van Pelt was not AR12's supervisor. They were both part of same franchise. Seeing Ar12's form, it looks to be a beneficial relationship and breaking it up just seems weird...made weirder by not consulting AR, who will be the most impacted by this change.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The bottom line is that a player does not decide his coach. Do you think Brady is whinning that he is losing Josh McDaniels next year? That is not how the NFL works. I did not see exactly what Aaron said, but I hope it was taken out of context and Aaron isn’t being a princess. He is more than allowed to express an opinion on the fact that his coach is gone, but if he is seriously upset that no one consulted him, that is assanine and he should just focus on getting and staying healthy. Yes, he is the Packers glory boy, but he is not involved (nor should be involved) in football operations. Do your job and move on. Van Pelt had nothing to do with Rodgers success and could not prepare Hundley. He deserved to go.

I

Wut? Van Pelt was not AR12's supervisor. They were both part of same franchise. Seeing Ar12's form, it looks to be a beneficial relationship and breaking it up just seems weird...made weirder by not consulting AR, who will be the most impacted by this change.

Well you have your view, I see it differently is all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, he is not. Rodgers on a team without a good coach and other players will be just another player. A good one, but nothing good will come of it. We see talented guys every year fall flat on their faces. It takes everyone. FO, Staff, Trainers, and players. They all have THEIR job to do.

it's like arguing what's more important, the brain or the *******. Just when the brain thinks it's so smart the ******* puckers and makes him full of ****. It's all important that they all do their jobs. Rodgers is the quarterback, not the headcoach or GM. He's smart enough to know that.

Yes, Rodgers is absolutely more important to this team than MM. To suggest otherwise is just silly. We just got to see what this team was like without Rodgers and it was, to say the least, unimpressive. I might, might, be inclined to say that Belichick is as important as a great QB but Belichick is both the GM and one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. MM is neither of those things.

Also, at what point did I say that Rodgers needed to be the coach, staff, etc.? I simply said that keeping him in the loop and communicating would be a good idea. I really don't understand the idea that discussing things with the best player in the NFL is somehow a ridiculous thing to do. As I said, you're not giving Rodgers the ability to veto any decisions, you're just talking with him and keeping him up to date on things.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade him.

Cleveland for their first 4 picks and Miles Garrett.

If you're serious, I'm with you and then some. Draft Darnold/Josh Allen, use the #4 pick and early two 2nd rounders however you wish. We missed a window with Aaron, time to create a new one. We aren't going to do it paying him the $30 mil per year he wants. Give a new guy the rookie salary and build your team with these picks and Miles Garrett. I have never seen a time with this many good qb's. Sign Bradford/Keenum/McCaron/Bridgewater/McCown for all I care until the rookie is fully ready. Without this, we are just going to continue to be drafting mid to late rounds while paying Aaron most of the $ we have. Not a recipe for success. Hell, you can compete now by spending the money you'd give Rodgers on other positions you really need in free agency. AR is my favorite athlete of all time, but the best thing for this team (and him) is to trade him.

Reaction score
Another example of the age old prophesy "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" put into practice

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with KyraReppe5 in that he did not prepare Hundley well and so deserved to go. Can't believe he needed to spend all his time with AR which is maybe what he did. The QB coach that has AR has an excellent opportunity to spend more time with the backups.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Rodgers is absolutely more important to this team than MM. To suggest otherwise is just silly. We just got to see what this team was like without Rodgers and it was, to say the least, unimpressive. I might, might, be inclined to say that Belichick is as important as a great QB but Belichick is both the GM and one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. MM is neither of those things.

Also, at what point did I say that Rodgers needed to be the coach, staff, etc.? I simply said that keeping him in the loop and communicating would be a good idea. I really don't understand the idea that discussing things with the best player in the NFL is somehow a ridiculous thing to do. As I said, you're not giving Rodgers the ability to veto any decisions, you're just talking with him and keeping him up to date on things.
Aaron Rodgers is not more important than any other structure of this "team". He is not a Front office guy, he is not a coach. He is a player. He has responsibilities to attend to, one of them is not being consulted about which coach to retain and which to get rid of. That is the job of the coaching tree and FO.

and if you think i'm saying MM is more important to the team, than you're missing the entire point. NONE of them are. They all have their roles. Rodgers' role isn't to be best buddies with his QB coach or get to decide who the best guy to coach him is. He doesn't pick players, he doesn't get called before they make a FA move. He isn't in on contract negotiations or anything. he's in on team meetings, scheme meetings offensive playbook meetings. They ask him what they think concerning the offense and what he's seeing on the field or on film.

If they guys in charge of coaching decide there is someone better to coach a position group, they aren't going to ask Aaron if it's ok to go ahead and make a change. They're going to do it, because it is THEIR job. and regardless, VP's contract ran out and he moved on. If he really wanted the job he could have extended it. I've found this phrase and similar in a lot of stories ""Alex Van Pelt did not sign an extension before the 2017 season because he wanted to be able to pursue a coordinator job." Sounds like a bit of this had to do with VP himself.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you have been living but that scenario happens quite often in many "real world" jobs.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're serious, I'm with you and then some. Draft Darnold/Josh Allen, use the #4 pick and early two 2nd rounders however you wish. We missed a window with Aaron, time to create a new one. We aren't going to do it paying him the $30 mil per year he wants. Give a new guy the rookie salary and build your team with these picks and Miles Garrett. I have never seen a time with this many good qb's. Sign Bradford/Keenum/McCaron/Bridgewater/McCown for all I care until the rookie is fully ready. Without this, we are just going to continue to be drafting mid to late rounds while paying Aaron most of the $ we have. Not a recipe for success. Hell, you can compete now by spending the money you'd give Rodgers on other positions you really need in free agency. AR is my favorite athlete of all time, but the best thing for this team (and him) is to trade him.

You are saying that it would be best for the Packers to move on from Rodgers and use those 4 picks and Garrett and the money saved to build for the future. Why in the world would Cleveland not use those 4 picks and Garrett to build for their own future and they have a hell of a lot more money to spend than we do. You are getting very close to John Hadl, Herschel Walker, Ricky Williams territory here. As good as Rodgers is I think it would be a huge mistake for Cleveland to give up that much for him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is not more important than any other structure of this "team". He is not a Front office guy, he is not a coach. He is a player. He has responsibilities to attend to, one of them is not being consulted about which coach to retain and which to get rid of. That is the job of the coaching tree and FO.

and if you think i'm saying MM is more important to the team, than you're missing the entire point. NONE of them are. They all have their roles. Rodgers' role isn't to be best buddies with his QB coach or get to decide who the best guy to coach him is. He doesn't pick players, he doesn't get called before they make a FA move. He isn't in on contract negotiations or anything. he's in on team meetings, scheme meetings offensive playbook meetings. They ask him what they think concerning the offense and what he's seeing on the field or on film.

If they guys in charge of coaching decide there is someone better to coach a position group, they aren't going to ask Aaron if it's ok to go ahead and make a change. They're going to do it, because it is THEIR job. and regardless, VP's contract ran out and he moved on. If he really wanted the job he could have extended it. I've found this phrase and similar in a lot of stories ""Alex Van Pelt did not sign an extension before the 2017 season because he wanted to be able to pursue a coordinator job." Sounds like a bit of this had to do with VP himself.

I guess what Aaron is really mad about is that Van Pelt didn't consult him before deciding to move on. Or then again maybe he did and this is really just a whole lot of nothing.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing. Perhaps Rodgers should think about how poorly Van Pelt did at preparing Hundley to be an NFL starter and stick to his own job.

I

From what I`m reading Van Pelt decided to move on. Why consult Rodgers ?? and as somebody else pointed out, he didn`t exactly do a fantastic job coaching Hundley did he ?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You understand that it really helps when the backup QB doesn't suck right? Do you honestly think the vikings and Eagles would have gone as far with Hundley at the helm as opposed to the guys they had?
well having a better defense to take some pressure off of Hundley would have helped. Having better skill position players would have helped. It became abundantly clear that Adams is the only true offensive difference maker that we have. Williams and Jones are interesting young backs, but not game changers by any stretch of the imagination.

You want to focus solely on Hundley being bad. That's fine. He is bad. But two questions: would better talent/better defense gave made a difference in the teams results with Hundley? And whose damn fault is it that we have a 3rd year backup that sucks?! Does anyone get to be held accountable for that?

Hundley being bad is one example of many with the way this team is constructed/ran that is flawed. Hopefully the packers have made changes that will result in more wins, but for the past several years it's been Aaron Rodgers or bust. And somehow, other teams have figured out how to manage their teams while their starting QB is injured.

But of course, the Green Bay Packers are the only team that has to deal with injuries.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
well having a better defense to take some pressure off of Hundley would have helped. Having better skill position players would have helped. It became abundantly clear that Adams is the only true offensive difference maker that we have. Williams and Jones are interesting young backs, but not game changers by any stretch of the imagination.

You want to focus solely on Hundley being bad. That's fine. He is bad. But two questions: would better talent/better defense gave made a difference in the teams results with Hundley? And whose damn fault is it that we have a 3rd year backup that sucks?! Does anyone get to be held accountable for that?

Hundley being bad is one example of many with the way this team is constructed/ran that is flawed. Hopefully the packers have made changes that will result in more wins, but for the past several years it's been Aaron Rodgers or bust. And somehow, other teams have figured out how to manage their teams while their starting QB is injured.

But of course, the Green Bay Packers are the only team that has to deal with injuries.

While I agree with most of what you said, I am getting tired of hearing the argument of "our defense didn't help make Hundley look good". Our defense didn't help make the team as a whole look good, but the Defense has nothing to do with how Hundley performed on offense. The defense being better helps with time of possession, the final score and wins and losses, but none of them are on the field while Hundley is performing. Plain and simple, Hundley was inconsistent, showed a few promising things, but also showed that he is far from being a good QB at this point in his career. Had Hundley been the Vikings or Eagles backup QB from week 7 on, I highly doubt either of them make the playoffs.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are saying that it would be best for the Packers to move on from Rodgers and use those 4 picks and Garrett and the money saved to build for the future. Why in the world would Cleveland not use those 4 picks and Garrett to build for their own future and they have a hell of a lot more money to spend than we do. You are getting very close to John Hadl, Herschel Walker, Ricky Williams territory here. As good as Rodgers is I think it would be a huge mistake for Cleveland to give up that much for him.
cle might just do that...or something similar. most likely just this year's #1's and a player. they have all the money in the world to sign and absorb his record salary, and put a good around him. it would set GB up talent and cap wise for a good while too. a win-win-win. never mind...cle's uniforms would kill it for Rodgers though. lol

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess I'm confused about why talking to your best player is somehow destroying the "team" structure? All I said was that communication is helpful. Yes, better players get things that other players don't. The best player in the NFL deserves to get more leeway than others.

Do people really think that professional athletes don't have egos? We can all feel righteous and indignant about it but that doesn't actually take away the egos.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts