Rank the 5 most impactful players

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
All this Pro Bowl talk got me thinking whom on the Packers is most Vital to a successful postseason run for the Packers....

Here is my thoughts..

1. Chad Clifton (No proven depth on the blind side protection.)
2. Ryan Grant ( Only back that has the ability to maximize the running lanes)
3. Brett Favre (Been there before, experience and overall leadership and command of the offense)
4. Ryan Pickett (Key to stopping the run of defense.. brings the beef)
5. Charles Woodson ( See Dallas game, nuff said)

Pretty tough to single it out.. what are your thoughts..

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would probably have Nick B on the list and not Grant as they were winning games without Grant or a running game early in the year and Barnett is leading a solid defensive team.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I would probably have Nick B on the list and not Grant as they were winning games without Grant or a running game early in the year and Barnett is leading a solid defensive team.

Agreed, to me the playoffs are about ball and tempo control, in my little mind it elevated Grant's importance... but I agree Barnett is a vital cog..

I thought it was interesting how many different ways I could construct the list... so throw it out there and gather opinions..

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remove Favre from the discussion as that is far beyond obvious.

Ryan Grant - Need to run the ball to win in the playoffs. Got away with it early season, cannot do that in the playoffs...especially if we meet Dallas...gotta keep that pass rush of theirs in check

Atari Bigby - We cannot afford any lapses from the safety position....makes our corners feel responsible for things other than primary and causes coverage breakdowns across the secondary.

Corey Williams - With Jolly out, we need a pass rush from the inside, and he has a good one while also being dependable against the run.

Chad Clifton - He is a monster against the pass rush, and doing much better in the run game...plus there is little depth behind him.

Will Blackmon - Special teams performer, and best option for solid nickle/dime coverage...a close call with Tramon Williams.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Favre
2. Barnett
3. Woodson
4. Kampmann
5. Grant

I think any of these losses would be difficult to make a deep playoff run. Favre is the heart and soul of this team, Rogers has shown he is capable but has never been there before and has limited experience.
Barnett and Woodson are vital cogs in the defense and the dropoff to the backups is significant.
The DL has taken a lot of hit recently depleting depth, a loss of Kampman would further dilute the rotation and force KGB to play many more snaps.
Grant is the only running back on the roster that I trust to get needed yards, be careful with the football and not make assignment mistakes.

Any injury to a starter at this point of the season is troublesome, but I think these 5 would be the hardest to overcome.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Favre - leader of the team
2. Pickett - thinning DL and we need the big guy
3. Barnett - leader of the defense
4 & 5. Woodson and Harris - tie between them since we need them both equally IMHO.
next:
6. Kampman - monster
7. Donald Lee - adds great outlet and can be lead blocker
8. Grant - doing great to keep offense balanced
9. Jenkins - can contribute on all spots along DL
10. Hawk - steady and consistent, helping everyone to be better

Funny things is that 7 out of 10 are on the defense. Does that say something about our defenses' depth? Or maybe it's that our best players are on defense now.

Actually I think it has to do with the question and our depth at WR and OL. Who's most important for our postseason run depends on who you cannot replace. DD has a huge impact for us, but we have 5 good WRs, so we could survive losing him. We have capable replacements and versatility on the OL, so we could survive there as well -- Colledge has done well when forced to fill-in at LT.

GO PACK GO!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remove Favre from the discussion as that is far beyond obvious.

Ryan Grant - Need to run the ball to win in the playoffs. Got away with it early season, cannot do that in the playoffs...especially if we meet Dallas...gotta keep that pass rush of theirs in check

Atari Bigby - We cannot afford any lapses from the safety position....makes our corners feel responsible for things other than primary and causes coverage breakdowns across the secondary.

Corey Williams - With Jolly out, we need a pass rush from the inside, and he has a good one while also being dependable against the run.

Chad Clifton - He is a monster against the pass rush, and doing much better in the run game...plus there is little depth behind him.

Will Blackmon - Special teams performer, and best option for solid nickle/dime coverage...a close call with Tramon Williams.

So you're going to list Blackmon and Bigby ahead of Barnett, Woodson and Harris?

We went most of the year without Blackmon and K-Rob can do the job on special teams, along with Williams. Williams can also do well at nickle/dime coverage. As for Bigby, Rouse has proven capable of providing high quality play filling in for both safeties.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby, re-read the question and get back to me.

The question was who performance was "more vital", not whose injury would be most impactful. Read it, understand it.

I answered assuming that performance, not health, was the primary qualifier for the question.

I assume Woodson/Harris/Barnett will continue to play at their very high level. And while I like Rouse and see him unseating Bigby in the future, Bigby is and will remain the starter and get most snaps....and is therefore more impactful if he stinks the joint up. And as far as Blackmon...you will notice we are winning most special teams battles. Funny how when all three aspects of the team are performing, the team wins big...and he is a big part of that success as of late.

Questions, comments?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this Pro Bowl talk got me thinking whom on the Packers is most Vital to a successful postseason run for the Packers....

Here is my thoughts..

3. Brett Favre (Been there before, experience and overall leadership and command of the offense)

Pretty tough to single it out.. what are your thoughts..

Clifton's wiff that lead to a nasty QB sack against the Cows is still fresh in my memory. He needs to step up in the Playoffs and not allow that to happen again.

Interesting 5. I'd put:
1. Brett Favre. He needs to not make any bad reads. He got fooled twice by the Rams' Safety last game. If Favre is on, he's unstoppable.
2. Aaron Kampman. He'll need to play like Reggie White, shutting down the run to his side completely and getting sacks on crucial 3rd downs. He was unheard of in the Dallas game. That needs to change. With some surprise blitz packages, hopefully he won't be double teamed all game long. I don't think anyone can single-team Kampman all game long and not allow a sack.
3. Nick Barnett. He got snubbed. If he's not in the Pro Bowl next year, I'm gonna be upset. If the DTs do their job, expect some crucial stuffs from Barnett. Also, whether you like it or not, we will have to blitz against both Dallas and NE. If Barnett can get some sacks in both games, we have a pretty good shot at winning the SB.
4. Donald Driver. He's been taking double coverage all year. I don't think you all realize just how good this guy is. Other teams do, that's why they double up on him. Note the blitz against the Rams when Favre threw the 44 yard TD to Jennings. The Rams were SURE the ball was going to Driver. What we'll need from Driver in the Playoffs is some serious YAC. The thing is, I'm pretty sure he'll get it. I'm hoping he can break a short slant for a TD in each game.
5. Al Harris. He'll be on TO and Randy Moss. He's got to shut both of them down. They're both tall receivers who can jump. There will be jump balls in both games. Harris will have to time his jumps perfectly. He'll also have to hit these guys hard at the line. This will be crucial to winning both games.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thread. No Favre? Ok.

5. Atari Bigby - Bigby makes things happen. He hits people hard, he plays the pass well(mostly), and he has great vision. He tries to strip the ball, he has as many interceptions and more tackles than Pro Bowler Darren Sharper. Bigby just changes things when he is playing over someone else. This is all I can say about Bigby is that he 'makes things happen.'

4. Donald Lee - A year ago, I never would have thought I would put him in a list like this, but Donald Lee is one of the most impact TEs in the LEAGUE, not just an impact guy on the team. He is consistent, an escape valve for Favre, and he blocks ok too.

3. Charles Woodson - Woodson once again started the year off horribly, but is finishing very strong. The Dallas game said it all, if Woodson isn't playing against good teams, it is very hard to win. Good job, Woody.

2. Nick Barnett - The biggest Pro Bowl snub is our biggest defensive impact player. He is having a career year. He is the leader of this stout defense and is just playing lights out. How is he not going to the pro bowl either? Lofa Tatupu and Patrick Willis are going instead. Wow. Barnett has more tackles than Lofa and more interceptions than Willis, and more sacks than both of them combined. What else does he have to do? So sad. No doubt he is the biggest impact player on defense.

1. Ryan Grant - Ted Thompson might as well have given up his youngest son when he gave up a draft pick to acquire Grant, but boy is it paying off. Grant learned the offense the first couple weeks, got a little action, but a key fumble is rumored to have put him in the doghouse for a while. Then injuries piled up and Grant had to play. Would he answer the call? Yes, he would. We all know what Grant has done since week 8. He is my number 1 impact player on offense.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1a. O-Line
1b. D-line

It all starts and ends with the performance of both lines.
O-line pass protects, passing game excells, O-line creates gaps and RG has proven he can hit those gaps and make good yardage.

D-line fill the gaps on run plays and gets pressure on the QB on pass plays the linebackers and Db's can do their thing in stopping the run and pass and create turnovers.

2. Keep up the great special team play.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Jason Spitz
2. Daryn Colledge
3. Charles Woodson
4. Ryan Grant
5. Justin Harrell

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby
K-Rob in KO returns,
Ryan Grant
Kampman
and ofcourse, Favre

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Favre
2. Clifton
3. DT's
4. Guards
5. Harris

Interesting you put 2 units up. To win it all, our DTs and Guards will have to step up. Our Guards will have to open some holes for Grant, and our DTs will have to disrupt the pocket, because the only 2 teams that will give us problems in the playoffs are primarily passing teams - the Cows and the Pats.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby, re-read the question and get back to me.

The question was who performance was "more vital", not whose injury would be most impactful. Read it, understand it.

I answered assuming that performance, not health, was the primary qualifier for the question.

I assume Woodson/Harris/Barnett will continue to play at their very high level. And while I like Rouse and see him unseating Bigby in the future, Bigby is and will remain the starter and get most snaps....and is therefore more impactful if he stinks the joint up. And as far as Blackmon...you will notice we are winning most special teams battles. Funny how when all three aspects of the team are performing, the team wins big...and he is a big part of that success as of late.

Questions, comments?

I've read it and understand it clearly.

Here is my thoughts..

The reasoning behind those selected in the original post, thread starter, is based on the backups at the respective positions. Basically, who can we least stand to lose? ergo, who is most vital to the team? The original post never states who's performance is the most critical to our success, thus implying who needs to play well.

Basically though I can see your points based on that interpretation of the question. I would definitely agree with those that you mentioned considering who needs to continue to step up their level of play in order for us to be successful.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of stepping up, while a little off topic, I would like to see Collins ramp it up a bit.

Members online

Latest posts