Random-Yet-Interesting Fact Of The Day

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite the emergence of Monte, we are still a pass-dominant offense. What I find interesting is that we are beating teams with statistically good pass defenses, and losing to the worst of them.

Win vs Bears - 10th ranked pass defense
Loss vs Falcons - 31st ranked pass defense
Loss vs Colts - 31st ranked pass defense
Loss vs Titans - 30th ranked pass defense
Loss vs Redskins - 15th ranked pass defense
Win vs Eagles - 9th ranked pass defense
Win vs Texans - 5th ranked pass defense
Win vs Seahawks - 9th ranked pass defense

*Note* Rankings as of the week the game was played

H

HardRightEdge

Despite the emergence of Monte, we are still a pass-dominant offense. What I find interesting is that we are beating teams with statistically good pass defenses, and losing to the worst of them.
That's an odd way of looking at it. Montgomery's high water mark is 9 carries (weeks 7 and 14). As stated last week, around 10 carries for him looks about right to me. "Still" a passing offense? The Packers in the Rodgers era has been primarily a balanced offense relative to the league, ranking as follows in pass attempts from 2008 - 2015:

9th., 10th., 16th., 14th., 16th., 18th., 20th. and 18th.

This season to date, the Packers are ranked 5th., with Rodgers projected to 618 passes. His previous high water marks were 572 in 2014 and 552 in 2012.

This is the first Rodgers season where you could say this is primarily a passing offense. The causes have been injuries and ineffectiveness at the RB position for the bulk of the season, with the short passing game used as a run game substitute since the Dallas game. A second factor is the Packers have been playing from behind more than has been customary.
Win vs Bears - 10th ranked pass defense
Loss vs Falcons - 31st ranked pass defense
Loss vs Colts - 31st ranked pass defense
Loss vs Titans - 30th ranked pass defense
Loss vs Redskins - 15th ranked pass defense
Win vs Eagles - 9th ranked pass defense
Win vs Texans - 5th ranked pass defense
Win vs Seahawks - 9th ranked pass defense

*Note* Rankings as of the week the game was played
That is interesting and peculiar.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun with numbers. Another way to look at the four losses in that particular stretch is that the opponents scored a minimum of 31 points.

jsheim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good example for WE vs THEM. Coaches always use the "pat" statement "We'll just take care of doing what we do good"...don't like "pat" statements...but in this case WE are taking care of our business and making THEM lose. The Bad pass defenses just met even poorer Green Bay offense....and the good pass defenses met us playing like we should.

I do like the analysis though.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an odd way of looking at it. Montgomery's high water mark is 9 carries (weeks 7 and 14). As stated last week, around 10 carries for him looks about right to me. "Still" a passing offense? The Packers in the Rodgers era has been primarily a balanced offense relative to the league, ranking as follows in pass attempts from 2008 - 2015:
Relative to the league....that's more peculiar. I just said that we've been a pass dominant team. The number of pass attempts is a poor measure because it only matters when measured against rushing attempts. The percentage of running vs passing plays is the ONLY way to determine it, so I looked it up for you:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2016-12-15
2016: 63.78% passing plays so far (4th highest in league)
2015: 58.89% passing plays (18th)
2014: 56.36% passing plays (23rd)
2013: 56.83% passing plays (22nd)
2012: 58.80% passing plays (14th)
2011: 60.57% passing plays (8th)
2010: 57.61% passing plays (14th)
2009: 58.70% passing plays (11th)
2008: 56.82% passing plays (16th)

So we have NEVER run more than we have passed in the Aaron Rodgers era. You could make your argument about balanced relative to the rest of the league, but that has nothing to do with what I was pointing out, which is that as a team that passes more than it runs, it surprising the we had more of our success against teams that are better at stopping the pass.

H

HardRightEdge

Relative to the league....that's more peculiar. I just said that we've been a pass dominant team. The number of pass attempts is a poor measure because it only matters when measured against rushing attempts. The percentage of running vs passing plays is the ONLY way to determine it, so I looked it up for you:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2016-12-15
2016: 63.78% passing plays so far (4th highest in league)
2015: 58.89% passing plays (18th)
2014: 56.36% passing plays (23rd)
2013: 56.83% passing plays (22nd)
2012: 58.80% passing plays (14th)
2011: 60.57% passing plays (8th)
2010: 57.61% passing plays (14th)
2009: 58.70% passing plays (11th)
2008: 56.82% passing plays (16th)

So we have NEVER run more than we have passed in the Aaron Rodgers era. You could make your argument about balanced relative to the rest of the league, but that has nothing to do with what I was pointing out, which is that as a team that passes more than it runs, it surprising the we had more of our success against teams that are better at stopping the pass.
It's all relative. How many teams do run more than they pass? One or two per year. This season it's Dallas and Tennessee.

Your original statement was, "Despite the emergence of Monte, we are still a pass-dominant offense.

To repeat, Montgomery has yet to carry the ball 10 times in a game. I emphasize "still" because as both my numbers and yours illustrate, this season is unique.

H

HardRightEdge

Oh it certainly does ;).
OT, I read something recently that with the warming Atlantic, the cod and haddock are migrating away from the fishing grounds that traditionally serve the British market, with squid taking their place. "Squid and chips"? Thoughts? ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

OT, I read something recently that with the warming Atlantic, the cod and haddock are migrating away from the fishing grounds that traditionally serve the British market, with squid taking their place. "Squid and chips"? Thoughts? ;)

I`m not a "Fishy" person, but my wife might be peeved. She`s enjoyed Octopus in Malta a few times, so she should adapt. If we have a Chicken problem I`m screwed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bummer.....the way this thread was posted on the main page, I saw "Random-Yet-Interesting Fact Of buggybill2003" I got all excited thinking we were going to share random and interesting tidbits about one of my fav. mods! I guess I will get the ball rolling and say.....Buggy has some great taste in music, but the musicians are a bit dodgy. :coffee:

Sky King

Reaction score
Bummer.....the way this thread was posted on the main page, I saw "Random-Yet-Interesting Fact Of buggybill2003" I got all excited thinking we were going to share random and interesting tidbits about one of my fav. mods! I guess I will get the ball rolling and say.....Buggy has some great taste in music, but the musicians are a bit dodgy. :coffee:
He is a lad from Liverpool after all. :cool:

Latest posts