Prospects You Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s goes without saying that I could end up being wrong, and I will gladly eat my crow, but I will be pretty surprised at this point if Landry makes it to #14, let alone to a pick where we could trade back and still get him.
I think he will be there if 4 QBs go. If not another good player will fall to us.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think he will be there if 4 QBs go. If not another good player will fall to us.

There’s definitely a chance. I’m not trying to rule Landry out at #14. I’m just saying I don’t think he’s a realistic trade down candidate. And I’m blown away by projections that he’s a round 1/2 bubble prospect.

However, I’ve been wrong before. And if it happened once, it may happen again. We shall see.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Oh a Javon Walker type?!

The same Javon Walker who ran a 4.35 at 6'3 and 210? With basically a 40" vert? That Javon Walker?

Yeah. Definitely similar. I totally see that.

Once again I posted "Since Javon Walker" but go ahead and mince my words. Make sure you point out Sutton's 6.57 3 cone while your comparing. I do see Sutton with a Javon Walker ceiling and maybe higher with AR12. Time will tell.

The bottom line here is Sutton has gone from a prospect I've been on board with long long ago and now he is a legitimate option for us to take in the 1st round and some people are a bit butt hurt over it.

Those same people will happily buy his Jersey and love him sooner rather then later.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s goes without saying that I could end up being wrong, and I will gladly eat my crow, but I will be pretty surprised at this point if Landry makes it to #14, let alone to a pick where we could trade back and still get him.
What makes you think this?

Another question I have for you guys. Given that we pass on or are unable to draft Smith and Edmunds with #14, and Van der Esch and Evans do not come into play for our 2nd rounder either, what ILB prospects are you interested in to pick up in the later rounds?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Another question I have for you guys. Given that we pass on or are unable to draft Smith and Edmunds with #14, and Van der Esch and Evans do not come into play for our 2nd rounder either, what ILB prospects are you interested in to pick up in the later rounds?

I think that those rating Landry as a borderline first rounder are weighting his injury affected 2017 too heavily. When he was healthy, he was easily the best pure edge rusher in this class. His athletic metrics put him on par with players like Miller, Beasley, Ware, etc. Those types of athletes at that position tend to go very high. I think his combine demonstrated that he’s healthy now. Maybe I’ll be surprised, but I don’t think so.

As for ILB’s later in the draft, I’m a fan of Fred Warner. Oren Burks is interesting.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again I posted "Since Javon Walker" but go ahead and mince my words. Make sure you point out Sutton's 6.57 3 cone while your comparing. I do see Sutton with a Javon Walker ceiling and maybe higher with AR12. Time will tell.

The bottom line here is Sutton has gone from a prospect I've been on board with long long ago and now he is a legitimate option for us to take in the 1st round and some people are a bit butt hurt over it.

Those same people will happily buy his Jersey and love him sooner rather then later.

You said he had a similar skill set to Walker, which is ridiculously untrue. Walker was a true deep threat. Sutton is a big possession WR that has issues separating. Those are opposites.

And Sutton still isn't a legit option at 14 for me. Nothing has changed. I'm not butthurt about how we have a different opinion. I just don't like misinformation going out.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, some of us just realize it's not going to happen.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Fred Warner, Genard Avery, and Jack Cichy right now. Should be amazing value right there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The follow up I heard on the LVE medical situation is that some teams flagged his neck based on a stinger he suffered in September of 2016. He was given a 4 out of 5 by the combine doctors. Apparently most teams don't consider 4's or 5's to be red flags. Might be much ado about nothing.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrence Murphy: 6'1 202 4.39 40 41" vert, 3.92 SS

Greg Jennings: 5'11 197 4.42 40, 36.5" vert, 6.65 3-cone

Charles Johnson 6'2 215 4.39 40 and a 39.5" vert

Jeff Janis 6'3 220 4.42 40, 37" vert, 6.62 3-come, 3.98 SS

Courtland Sutton 6'3 218 4.54 40, 35.5" vert, 6.57 3-cone, 4.11 SS

Michael Clark 6'5 220 4.53 40 33" vert, 4.31 SS

Sutton is a good athlete, but clearly not the best to come through GB since Javon Walker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrence Murphy, there is one guy that I thought was going to be great. Over before it even got started. He was fast and smooth. Maybe we don't take Greg Jennings if he stays health, but I think he was going to be a better version of Jennings. Another funny thing about that draft, I remember everyone saying "Nick who" and just blasting GB for taking him. Everyone wanted Shazor from MI, who ended up going undrafted and never really played in the league. The other became an all pro. A lot of fans gave the Packers a D or F draft grade on picking Collins alone. It's funny to read the reactions now. Everyone said he was a reach and 4th-5th rounder at best. Many said he'd never make an impact and quite a few questioned whether he would even play in the NFL. But they had Shazor going in the 1st round LOL. The good 'ol days on the ESPN message boards LOL

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The follow up I heard on the LVE medical situation is that some teams flagged his neck based on a stinger he suffered in September of 2016. He was given a 4 out of 5 by the combine doctors. Apparently most teams don't consider 4's or 5's to be red flags. Might be much ado about nothing.

Ya, I heard that this was debunked by Tony Pauline and Rappaport said teams don't think it's an issue. Probably someone trying to get him to drop further.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ya, I heard that this was debunked by Tony Pauline and Rappaport said teams don't think it's an issue. Probably someone trying to get him to drop further.

Which is so dirty. Don't screw with a guy's livelihood.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Former Wisconsin CB Nick Nelson now may move back up on some teams draft charts.

CB Nick Nelson had successful surgery to fix his torn meniscus today, and he received good news in the process. Dr. James Andrews did not need to fully repair the meniscus — he trimmed it & cleaned it out. That means recovery is 6 weeks, not 3-4 months. Ready for camp.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After listening to Ryan Leaf talk bout the qbs I'm not sure bout Baker Mayfield. Seeing the police tackle him was funny but also sad lol. I feel like trashing talking from other players will get in his mind and unsure how he will respond to media like Leaf.
1. Darnold
2. Rosen
3. L.Jackson
4. Allen
5. Mayfield.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philip Lindsay RB from Colorado plays much like Darren Sproles. Much faster than Sproles but same catching abilities. Late round gem.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^Lindsay also did a very good job of blocking which I was very impressed with him being 180-190.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I found this interesting from Bob McGinn’s most recent draft piece on WR/TE:

In a poll of 14 scouts requesting them to name their top five wide receivers in order, Ridley drew 11 first-place votes to win going away.

Ridley’s 65 points (5 for a first, 4 for a second and so on) easily outpaced Maryland’s D.J. Moore (40 points), SMU’s Courtland Sutton (30, one first), Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk (24, one first), Oklahoma State’s James Washington (20) and Memphis’ Anthony Miller (13, one).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I found this interesting from Bob McGinn’s most recent draft piece on WR/TE:

Come draft day, I'm hoping the "real" board falls better than it has so far in that first round of our forum mock draft, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ridley was there at #14, nor would it shock me if the Packers selected him. I love this years QB draft class in the way that it will probably give the Packers more top players to select from, but besides Barkley and Nelson, the rest of the offensive players are pretty "meh" for a #14 pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Come draft day, I'm hoping the "real" board falls better than it has so far in that first round of our forum mock draft, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ridley was there at #14, nor would it shock me if the Packers selected him. I love this years QB draft class in the way that it will probably give the Packers more top players to select from, but besides Barkley and Nelson, the rest of the offensive players are pretty "meh" for a #14 pick.

Obviously I like Ridley a lot and wouldn't have any remorse about selecting him at #14, but I do believe that the real draft will give the Packers more options than this forum version.

Seems that the consistent chatter is that Edmunds and Fitzpatrick are probably going later than what people have thought all along. Many expect McGlinchey to go in the top 10-12 picks as he's generally considered the best of a mediocre OT crop and it's such a premium position.

However, if the board falls as it has in our game and Landry is there, I'll be quite pleased.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously I like Ridley a lot and wouldn't have any remorse about selecting him at #14, but I do believe that the real draft will give the Packers more options than this forum version.

Seems that the consistent chatter is that Edmunds and Fitzpatrick are probably going later than what people have thought all along. Many expect McGlinchey to go in the top 10-12 picks as he's generally considered the best of a mediocre OT crop and it's such a premium position.

However, if the board falls as it has in our game and Landry is there, I'll be quite pleased.

Agreed on "our board" probably not matching up with what actually happens and I think you are right, McGlinchey may go early, as well as Ridley. Which would be a good thing for the Packers.

Maybe I need to look at Landry closer. The little I read about him gave me the impression that he was kind of a one trick pony, smallish, had a great 2016, but poor 2017 (even before ankle injury), terrible against the run and not very good against the better teams. Also reading reports that some think he is a second day pick, has me scratching my head as to how he would be considered best value in the middle of the first round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed on "our board" probably not matching up with what actually happens and I think you are right, McGlinchey may go early, as well as Ridley. Which would be a good thing for the Packers.

Maybe I need to look at Landry closer. The little I read about him gave me the impression that he was kind of a one trick pony, smallish, had a great 2016, but poor 2017 (even before ankle injury), terrible against the run and not very good against the better teams. Also reading reports that some think he is a second day pick, has me scratching my head as to how he would be considered best value in the middle of the first round.

Here's my take on Landry.

He is smallish at around 6'2" 253, but he's about as big as or bigger than most pass rush prospects of his style that have found success in the league (e.g. Beasley, Miller, Ware, etc.). These elite burst/bend types are generally not huge human beings. As they have translated, I wouldn't dock him based on being right around 250.

His run defense is exactly what you come to expect from these types coming out of college-- if he has to take on a tackle play-side, he struggles. But he can make plays from the backside. Look up reports on Beasley or Miller before they came out and you'll see similar things.

He does need to develop more counter moves to his outside rush, but simply put guys with his tools almost never fail to pay off. He has rare, rare traits. And I have absolutely zero problem with a guy who sacrifices some run defense ability for pass rush skills. Look at how the league values those skillsets. Money talks. When the Falcons had Beasley on the edge leading the league in sacks, I doubt they had buyer's remorse over his poor run defense.

The hints you read indicate that he was never quite right for all of the 2017 season. He hurt his ankle bad enough that he had to come out against Va. Tech. But even if you assume health before that game, he still had 5 sacks and 8 TFL in those 6 contests. Davenport had 8.5 all season against Conference USA opponents.

In 2017, he did accrue 5.5 sacks against non Power 5 competition, but that still leaves 11 sacks against P5 teams which would be a really impressive season all on its own.

I think that the reason for the discrepancy is that some look mostly at his 2017 and judge him based on that while others discount that season on the basis of injury and more heavily weight his 2016. From what I'm reading, and I could be wrong, the NFL really likes him. I think he could realistically being in play at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 13.

Reaction score
Here's my take on Landry.

He is smallish at around 6'2" 253, but he's about as big as or bigger than most pass rush prospects of his style that have found success in the league (e.g. Beasley, Miller, Ware, etc.). These elite burst/bend types are generally not huge human beings. As they have translated, I wouldn't dock him based on being right around 250.

His run defense is exactly what you come to expect from these types coming out of college-- if he has to take on a tackle play-side, he struggles. But he can make plays from the backside. Look up reports on Beasley or Miller before they came out and you'll see similar things.

He does need to develop more counter moves to his outside rush, but simply put guys with his tools almost never fail to pay off. He has rare, rare traits. And I have absolutely zero problem with a guy who sacrifices some run defense ability for pass rush skills. Look at how the league values those skillsets. Money talks. When the Falcons had Beasley on the edge leading the league in sacks, I doubt they had buyer's remorse over his poor run defense.

The hints you read indicate that he was never quite right for all of the 2017 season. He hurt his ankle bad enough that he had to come out against Va. Tech. But even if you assume health before that game, he still had 5 sacks and 8 TFL in those 6 contests. Davenport had 8.5 all season against Conference USA opponents.

In 2017, he did accrue 5.5 sacks against non Power 5 competition, but that still leaves 11 sacks against P5 teams which would be a really impressive season all on its own.

I think that the reason for the discrepancy is that some look mostly at his 2017 and judge him based on that while others discount that season on the basis of injury and more heavily weight his 2016. From what I'm reading, and I could be wrong, the NFL really likes him. I think he could realistically being in play at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 13.
Nicely said, one can't deny what he has been able to accomplish (given when healthy) is nothing short of remarkable

Status
Not open for further replies.