My Three "Doubs" Prospects This Draft Cycle...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO. I keep reading how we have been hamstrung because of picking at the end of round 1 and now people are advocating for trading back in round 1. I understand it probably means 2 picks to 1 but how about they try picking early in round 1 and getting a gosh darn actual day 1 PLAYER! Still going to have 2 more top 45-50 picks. a TOP 75 & a 110 or so. IMO we don't draft QB so most of those picks move up 4 to 5 spots of position players on their board. The more than likely top 8 pick is really the only one exponentially better than those in the last 2 years value wise. Top 5 draft positions. 2022- picks 22-28-34-92-132 2023- 13-42-50-78-116. Ballparking here-2024 - 8-40-43-72-110. Trading down puts us in that 2022 range, staying put gives them earlier picks at all 5 spots compared to last year. I know it is still early in their careers but nobody in these last 2 drafts screams HOFer or even Pro-Bowler to me. Give the fan base something to get excited about and draft the best player you can.
Draft for the purpose of giving a fan base something to be excited about???? That reeks of a total loser play to me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, and folks don't realize that often (not always, but often) in those trade discussions the team finds out who the team is trading for....

I know for a fact this has happened....

Team X sits at 10th.

When their turn comes up the 11th team has already had conversations with them that they want to know IF someone wants up and has a standing offer if Player Bob Schults is on the board still.

Clock starts and Team X knows the small swap in picks with 11th team nets them "THIS" so if anyone calls they gotta have better offered...but likewise if time allows and they do get an offer sometimes they'll call the 11th team back up and say look I got a team offering this.....team 11 gets on the phone (another phone) and calls that team to confirm....

The day of trades can sometimes be sheeeer chaos in the war room.....the whole time all this is going on the GM has likely notified the team this is who we are picking if we stay and don't move as to not miss their pick time (which has happened).
I'm surprised that happens. I sure wouldn't want to tell the team I am trading with who I intended to select, for that very reason. It can only be used against you. But I believe you. I'm sure there are all sorts if shenanigans and conspiring going on between friendly GMs.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that happens. I sure wouldn't want to tell the team I am trading with who I intended to select, for that very reason. It can only be used against you. But I believe you. I'm sure there are all sorts if shenanigans and conspiring going on between friendly GMs.

Oh trust me many cases it isn’t divulged but some cases it for sure is. Best examples are the small movement ones…or the odd ones where you see say a team move one pick back is all…

Example say at 6 we plan on picking Bowers.

But the 7th pick team really wants Alt, it would take some courtesy respect but I know teams have done a trade as it a condition knowing both teams were getting who they wanted and the team coming up knows they won’t lose their guy to another trade

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Oh trust me many cases it isn’t divulged but some cases it for sure is. Best examples are the small movement ones…or the odd ones where you see say a team move one pick back is all…

Example say at 6 we plan on picking Bowers.

But the 7th pick team really wants Alt, it would take some courtesy respect but I know teams have done a trade as it a condition knowing both teams were getting who they wanted and the team coming up knows they won’t lose their guy to another trade

I have no idea if that would be construed as "tampering" and if it is, does the league ignore it?

If it is done, which I think you are right, it is...if a GM tells a team he is doing one thing and then does another, I imagine word gets out pretty quickly across the league, not to trust that GM.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also wonder if agents of top and even mid draft prospects get word out to certain teams, that their guy really isn't interested in playing for that team and how much that information deters a team away from selecting said player.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Multiple posts to reply to.
1. Of course if you are still going to get a guy at a position of need graded similarly you grab the extra pick.
2. IMO the philosophy of trading back made more sense when you had a HOF game changer on your roster. With not having one any more if you get the chance to draft one to improve the team and excite the fan base you better stay put and take him.
3. A loser play? As opposed to this year? You have posters wanting the team to lose games and my wanting them to draft a blue chipper is a loser play? Respect but do not share your opinion.
4. I would absolutely hope that the GM with the 10th pick confirms that the team with the 11th pick is not going to pick his guy before making that trade.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea if that would be construed as "tampering" and if it is, does the league ignore it?

If it is done, which I think you are right, it is...if a GM tells a team he is doing one thing and then does another, I imagine word gets out pretty quickly across the league, not to trust that GM.

So the exact player I believe may not be able to be “legally” spoken, position I believe can legally be said. Again the message can be sent without being directly said. As for legality of it I am with you, don’t have a clue

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Of course if you are still going to get a guy at a position of need graded similarly you grab the extra pick.
2. IMO the philosophy of trading back made more sense when you had a HOF game changer on your roster. With not having one any more if you get the chance to draft one to improve the team and excite the fan base you better stay put and take him.
3. A loser play? As opposed to this year? You have posters wanting the team to lose games and my wanting them to draft a blue chipper is a loser play? Respect but do not share your opinion.
4. I would absolutely hope that the GM with the 10th pick confirms that the team with the 11th pick is not going to pick his guy before making that trade.

If I was the #3 sorry, I don’t recall saying anything in that manner but I could have or perhaps didn’t explain myself to well enough.

I don’t disagree with your #2 it definitely makes it easier…but I will say the last thing I’m worried about is fanbase excitement unless it is for drafting a POS (womanizer, felon) type.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
3. A loser play? As opposed to this year? You have posters wanting the team to lose games and my wanting them to draft a blue chipper is a loser play?
Respect but do not share your opinion.
Imo, it's a total loser play to tank games. It's also a total loser play imo to let a concept like "excite the fan base" enter into the equation of what you're go to do with draft picks.
This is the kind of crap that loser franchises engage in. We are above that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imo, it's a total loser play to tank games.
I doubt we ever see the Packers intentionally tank a game. Now as a fan, I can say at this point of a 3-6 season, I don't mind seeing them lose, if it gets them better draft picks.

Players for the most part are playing for their future jobs, as are the coaches. I don't see MLF or Gute huddling guys up and saying "Now let's go out there and lose, so we get better draft picks and oh by the way, those better rookies, might get your jobs."

What I do see though is an organization that is playing for the future and wants to use the "meaningless" games as a way to look at non-starters and give them reps to improve. Now if that is construed as "tanking" a game, I am fine with that mentality, since in my opinion, it serves the purpose of hoping to improve for the next season and beyond.

Reaction score
IMO. I keep reading how we have been hamstrung because of picking at the end of round 1 and now people are advocating for trading back in round 1. I understand it probably means 2 picks to 1 but how about they try picking early in round 1 and getting a gosh darn actual day 1 PLAYER! Still going to have 2 more top 45-50 picks. a TOP 75 & a 110 or so. IMO we don't draft QB so most of those picks move up 4 to 5 spots of position players on their board. The more than likely top 8 pick is really the only one exponentially better than those in the last 2 years value wise. Top 5 draft positions. 2022- picks 22-28-34-92-132 2023- 13-42-50-78-116. Ballparking here-2024 - 8-40-43-72-110. Trading down puts us in that 2022 range, staying put gives them earlier picks at all 5 spots compared to last year. I know it is still early in their careers but nobody in these last 2 drafts screams HOFer or even Pro-Bowler to me. Give the fan base something to get excited about and draft the best player you can.
First thing. I think that’s exactly what we will do this year (Just selecting at our natural Day1) Partly because of the pair of 2nd rounders.

That said. On the flip side I’d like us to stay open to trade offers. I loved the one we did with Seattle a few years back to land J’aire at 17? overall. In that process we gained J’aire, a 6th rounder and a future Day1 selection. It cost us a small move back in Day1 and a 3rd Rounder.

Imo Im also not keen about trading to late Day 1 (unless we move back up into the teens though)

I like the idea of having a pair of Day1’s “IF” we have to look past Love. I doubt it happens though I think we need to hit WR +OT in the top 50 selections.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, it's a total loser play to tank games. It's also a total loser play imo to let a concept like "excite the fan base" enter into the equation of what you're go to do with draft picks.
This is the kind of crap that loser franchises engage in. We are above that.
You misunderstand. The pick isn't to excite the fan base. The pick is a bluechip player to improve the team. Exciting the fanbase would be a byproduct of drafting such a player.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
3. You mentioned drafting to get the fan base excited. I think it's a total loser play to even consider fan base excitement when formulating draft strategy. Screw short term fan excitement. It's a non-player in my opinion.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You misunderstand. The pick isn't to excite the fan base. The pick is a bluechip player to improve the team. Exciting the fanbase would be a byproduct of drafting such a player.
Why mention it? A run stuffing beast of a DT isn't exciting enough? They win games more often than some blue chip fast guy and that run stuffer is needed here.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, you must have been bored today. Watch some college football. Happy New Year.

Members online

Latest posts