Prospects You Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that's true he was.

If you want a distraction until draft day, go claim a team in my forum mock thread.

I saw that thread, we'd ideally need 32 people right? Also, I guess I could do a team, but I don't know their needs in-depth and I think it would just make for a messy unrealistic mock. Hopefully, I'm not being too harsh. I'm not sure I could commit the time to be honest.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I saw that thread, we'd ideally need 32 people right? Also, I guess I could do a team, but I don't know their needs in-depth and I think it would just make for a messy unrealistic mock. Hopefully, I'm not being too harsh. I'm not sure I could commit the time to be honest.

That's fine.

I've done them in the past and they're just kind of a fun diversion. But it doesn't look like there's enough interest in this one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It is really hard to find athletic comps for Vander Esch.

A 250+ lb athlete with the explosive strength to jump 124" and yet maintain the flexibility to post a sub 6.9 three cone.

Jordan Willis and T.J. Watt did it last year but they haven't see enough game time to tell us much. Tyus Bowser was just three lbs shy. Bosa and J.J. Watt were 4" short on the broad jump, but they were 270 lbs and 290 lbs respectively. Devin Taylor remains the unicorn-- the player to post similarly elite numbers and do absolutely nothing in the NFL.

Interestingly, going all the way back to 2000, you can't find an off-ball linebacker that fits Vander Esch's numbers.

His closest athletic comp is Connor Barwin.

Vander Esch: 6'4", 256 lbs, 4.65 forty, 39.5" vertical, 124" broad, 6.88 3c, 4.15 SS

Barwin: 6'4", 256 lbs, 4.66 forty, 40.5" vertical, 128" broad, 6.87 3c, 4.18 SS

I find this comparison interesting because Barwin was a name that came to my mind when thinking through what type of edge LVE might become if such a transition was effective. In his prime, Barwin was a do everything SAM backer who was used in coverage pretty often. He was certainly more of an edge pass rusher coming out of Cincinnati than LVE is now. So living up to this comp would be a process for Vander Esch, assuming that it's even true that he's being looked at this way. But a successful transition would probably end up looking something like Barwin.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to say the more I watch Courtland Sutton the more I like him.. he might be the next Calvin Johnson I think he won’t make it passed Dallas sucks we have bigger needs on defense

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to say the more I watch Courtland Sutton the more I like him.. he might be the next Calvin Johnson I think he won’t make it passed Dallas sucks we have bigger needs on defense

The next Calvin...

I'm gonna stop before I say something mean.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is everyone's friendly remind that Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35, jumped 42.5" vert, and a 139" broad at 240 lbs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are conflicting reports floating around that Vander Esch failed medical checks at the combine and has been axed from some boards. His camp denies that anything negative came up on his medicals. He was not requested back for a recheck. Something to track.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There are conflicting reports floating around that Vander Esch failed medical checks at the combine and has been axed from some boards. His camp denies that anything negative came up on his medicals. He was not requested back for a recheck. Something to track.

Interesting. Sounds like the kinds of things that get spread a few weeks before the draft. Sometimes true and sometimes false. You have to wonder if they aren't rumors being falsely spread by someone connected to an organization that wants the player to fall in the draft.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...te-lb-leighton-vander-esch-surface-on-monday/

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Sounds like the kinds of things that get spread a few weeks before the draft. Sometimes true and sometimes false. You have to wonder if they aren't rumors being falsely spread by someone connected to an organization that wants the player to fall in the draft.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/0...te-lb-leighton-vander-esch-surface-on-monday/
All teams have access to the medical examinations at the combine. That was the original intent of the combine so 32 teams weren't sending 32 medical staffs to 40 cities to spend a day testing each individual. It would be impossible.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All teams have access to the medical examinations at the combine. That was the original intent of the combine so 32 teams weren't sending 32 medical staffs to 40 cities to spend a day testing each individual. It would be impossible.
Right, but do all teams have access to medical reports done during visits? I'm not even saying he did or didn't pass any medical exams, but once you start seeing reports crop up about him failing someones, you have to wonder the validity of that. As well as when you read things like “To me, he’s a third-round talent, but probably will go higher,” said an AFC general manager, according to Monday’s report.

This is probably just noise that the media likes to play and fans like to talk about, but in a billion dollar business, I have to think all 32 teams dig pretty deep on any player they are thinking about drafting.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That would be so dirty.

The good thing is that all these teams did medicals, so while we don’t know what’s what, we can know that the Packers do.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lol maybe I went off the deep end a little

I would put him maybe a step below the "Calvin Johnsons's or Julio Jones's" of the world but still a heck of a lot to like with this Sutton. As I have posted earlier he would be the most athletic and proven player the Packers have acquired out of the draft since Javon Walker who had a similar skill set. The bottom line is Sutton would be an absolute beast in this offense.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would put him maybe a step below the "Calvin Johnsons's or Julio Jones's" of the world but still a heck of a lot to like with this Sutton. As I have posted earlier he would be the most athletic and proven player the Packers have acquired out of the draft since Javon Walker who had a similar skill set. The bottom line is Sutton would be an absolute beast in this offense.
Yeah the 2 O’douls I had got to me... hahaha but I think it’s either him or dj Moore the first wr taken and I don’t see Sutton getting passed the Cowboys

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the 2 O’douls I had got to me... hahaha but I think it’s either him or dj Moore the first wr taken and I don’t see Sutton getting passed the Cowboys
Calvin Ridley will go first. Moore is my next, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Kirk. I hope sutton goes next so Moore or Kirk drop to us in the 2nd. There aren't a lot of players worth our 14th pick (8ish) but there are 60ish worth our 2nd.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Calvin Ridley will go first. Moore is my next, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Kirk. I hope sutton goes next so Moore or Kirk drop to us in the 2nd. There aren't a lot of players worth our 14th pick (8ish) but there are 60ish worth our 2nd.

I would be pretty surprised by Kirk being the 2nd WR. I actually expect that he might fall down into the late 2nd, early 3rd range. I know a lot of people have him graded highly, and I don't disagree with that, but he's a slot-only option and his testing didn't demonstrate the all-around athleticism that people were expecting. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb in that way. Cobb, you'll recall, ended up going about a round later than many projected.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe a step below two of the best WR's in the NFL in the past decade?

Come on now. He's not the athletic freak they are/were, and he's not as polished either. Sutton isn't bad, and will probably be a good WR, but he has a lot of faults too.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Come on now. He's not the athletic freak they are/were, and he's not as polished either. Sutton isn't bad, and will probably be a good WR, but he has a lot of faults too.

What's even the point?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The prospects I'd love to see most in green and gold (in order of the amount of joy it would bring me, not in order of draft board ranking):

Minkah Fitzpatrick
Derwin James
Isaiah Oliver (in the 2nd)
Harold Landry (preferably a few picks later then our original position)
Jaire Alexander (ditto)
Denzel Ward
Saquon Barkley
Roquan Smith
Mike Hughes (in the 2nd)
DJ Moore (2nd)
Josh Jackson (as a late first rounder only)
Dante Pettis (3rd)
Hayden Hurst (4th)
Lorenzo Carter (2nd)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It’s goes without saying that I could end up being wrong, and I will gladly eat my crow, but I will be pretty surprised at this point if Landry makes it to #14, let alone to a pick where we could trade back and still get him.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I actually leaned more towards "Javon Walker type talent" coming out of college if you read my post so not sure where your going here.

Sutton does need help with some routes and particulars but who doesn't coming out of college? The ceiling is sky high for Sutton in the Packers offense and we need a receiver.

Whether people on here want to get real or not the fact is Allison is probably the biggest glarring weakness looking at the starting roster right now and if a injury happens to Adams, Graham or Cobb the offense could stall which would be catastrophic. Sutton at the very least could come in and compete with Allison and probably take the job fulltime by mid-season while also providing valuable depth against injury which is almost certain. Sometimes you gotta reach a few picks for a player that fits such a need to stay relevant and it might just be possible its not even a reach according to the Packers board.

We are who we are and while I believe in Pettine i'm not about to jump on board with the same old "PIPE DREAM" that were gonna pick some dude at 14 and all the sudden have some championship defense. In fact Pettine has tons of high draft picks so he should have no problem making the defense respectable with the additions Gute has given him along with some "mid-round picks".

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh a Javon Walker type?!

The same Javon Walker who ran a 4.35 at 6'3 and 210? With basically a 40" vert? That Javon Walker?

Yeah. Definitely similar. I totally see that.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently we've forgotten what a freak athlete Javon Walker was. Cool.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The prospects I'd love to see most in green and gold (in order of the amount of joy it would bring me, not in order of draft board ranking):

Minkah Fitzpatrick
Derwin James
Isaiah Oliver (in the 2nd)
Harold Landry (preferably a few picks later then our original position)
Jaire Alexander (ditto)
Denzel Ward
Saquon Barkley
Roquan Smith
Mike Hughes (in the 2nd)
DJ Moore (2nd)
Josh Jackson (as a late first rounder only)
Dante Pettis (3rd)
Hayden Hurst (4th)
Lorenzo Carter (2nd)
Yes, I’d like to get two from this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts