Prospects You Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I wanted to talk about prospects we love, who are attainable. So top 5 picks, obviously, not in the game. You all understand I think. So first rounders, late rounders, whomever.

Harold Landry - edge Boston College. Good pass rusher, fast, has struggled a little against some good OT's, not great against the run.

Marcus Davenport - edge UTSA. Former WR, freak athlete. Developmental, but I could see him going in the top 15 after the combine. Keep eye on him.

Quenton Nelson - OG Notre Dame. The best guard in years to come out. He's incredible. Day one Pro Bowl level imo. I probably shouldn't have him here, but maybe he drops due to positional value.

DJ Moore - WR Maryland. Think a bigger, more durable Randall Cobb. He had over 52% of his teams receiving yards. I love, love, love him. Should be able to get him in round 2.

Anthony Miller - WR Memphis. All he does is produce. Good RZ target. Might only be a slot guy.

Alex Cappa - OL Humboldt State - 4 time conference lineman of the year. 6'7 305. He's a stud who will go too late bc of playing poor competition.

Michael Jackson - CB Miami. I don't know if he'll enter, but if he does, he's good. Only started one year, but he's big, physical, and has good enough speed.

Tremane Edmonds - LB VaTech. He can play inside and outside well. Fast, rangy, good size.

DeShon Elliot - S Texas. I love his game. Rangy with size, we could use him to replace Burnett.

I'll have more later. Just a quick brain dump here.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got some more!

Chris Herndon - TE Miami: 6'4 250, he's a versatile TE. Fast enough, quick enough, and a good enough blocker. Can play flexed out, in-line, H-Back. Tore his MCL, but he is gooood. Draft this guy.

Marcell Ateman - WR OK State: Big bodied receiver who can play outside and win matchups. I think he's better than his teammate James Washington. Would be nice to put him on the outside so Jordy and Cobb can play inside.

Senior bowl, and the combine will bring out a lot of prospects. Pointless to do a mock right now, but I still might do it just so I can see how much change we see in the next few months.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cedrick Wilson - WR Boise St: 6'3 190, good route runner, can get deep, can find the soft spot of a zone. Son of an NFL WR. He's gonna blow up at the SR bowl. He would be a really nice guy to pair with Adams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's early, but my sense is that this isn't an especially great draft class.

I like Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Roquan Smith, and Mike McGlinchey for the Packers. At this point (again-- way too early), I would like the Packers to move up for one of those players.

DJ apparently loves Tremaine Edmunds from Va. Tech. He's a long off-ball linebacker with some pass rush skills. He's listed at 6'5" 250, but is probably more like 6'4" 245. He has 32.5 TFL over the past two seasons, including 10 sacks. He's definitely interesting, and may warrant addition to that cluster of blue chippers.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's early, but my sense is that this isn't an especially great draft class.

I like Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Roquan Smith, and Mike McGlinchey for the Packers. At this point (again-- way too early), I would like the Packers to move up for one of those players.

DJ apparently loves Tremaine Edmunds from Va. Tech. He's a long off-ball linebacker with some pass rush skills. He's listed at 6'5" 250, but is probably more like 6'4" 245. He has 32.5 TFL over the past two seasons, including 10 sacks. He's definitely interesting, and may warrant addition to that cluster of blue chippers.

We're gonna disagree on McGlinchley. He got tore up vs Miami and ND. Can't handle a speed rush. He's ok, but not worth where he's slotted at so far.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got some more!

Chris Herndon - TE Miami: 6'4 250, he's a versatile TE. Fast enough, quick enough, and a good enough blocker. Can play flexed out, in-line, H-Back. Tore his MCL, but he is gooood. Draft this guy.

Marcell Ateman - WR OK State: Big bodied receiver who can play outside and win matchups. I think he's better than his teammate James Washington. Would be nice to put him on the outside so Jordy and Cobb can play inside.

Senior bowl, and the combine will bring out a lot of prospects. Pointless to do a mock right now, but I still might do it just so I can see how much change we see in the next few months.

I like Ateman a lot, but watching some of his film and the way he catches, I'm not going to be surprised if he has small hand measurements similar to Tajae Sharpe.

I really like Simmie Cobbs Jr and Anthony Miller. It'll be interesting to see what DJ Chark and Allen Lazard do at the combine/Senior bowl.

Right now I have a super draft crush on Clelin Ferrell at OLB and Riley Ferguson at QB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We're gonna disagree on McGlinchley. He got tore up vs Miami and ND. Can't handle a speed rush. He's ok, but not worth where he's slotted at so far.

Maybe I'll end up agreeing with you. At this point, I only know what I read.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I should have included Nelson in that cluster. We will see if the Gute is willing to take a guard round 1 if they're good enough. That was not Thompson's MO.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Roquan Smith, This guy can cover, blitz and is amazing in pursuit. Might be the playmaker in the middle we have needed for years.

Courtland Sutton, Hard not to look at this guys measurables and not get excited about his potential. Also had the production to go with it and had a QB with a noodle arm at SMU.

Parris Campbell, Day two steal that reminds many of Percy Harvin type skill set. Exciting to think about the possibilities of his talent level in our offense. He is believed to run 4.2-4.3 at combine and he has field speed too. I Just believe he was maxed out in what Ohio State does on offense and how he was used. Might need some development but payoff could be huge.

Troy Fumagalli, Another day 2 prospect that could pay big dividends. Very nice skill set and used to playing in cold weather.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't "love" this guy, but I like him a lot. Plus he's from Miami, so you know I gotta rep my boys.

Kendrick Norton Jr - DT - Miami: 6'3 315. Norton is a true NT with some ability to pass rush. He's strong, can two gap, and has really quick feet for his size. Statistically, like most 1-Tech's, he doesn't show out. His teammate McIntosh has the better stats, actually. I think Norton is better, but at a less valuable position. Norton is a little raw, but he has had a great DL coach the last two years, and is worth a look. He's coming out earlier than he should, and will be a lower round draft pick. I would take him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roquan Smith, This guy can cover, blitz and is amazing in pursuit. Might be the playmaker in the middle we have needed for years.

Courtland Sutton, Hard not to look at this guys measurables and not get excited about his potential. Also had the production to go with it and had a QB with a noodle arm at SMU.

Parris Campbell, Day two steal that reminds many of Percy Harvin type skill set. Exciting to think about the possibilities of his talent level in our offense. He is believed to run 4.2-4.3 at combine and he has field speed too. I Just believe he was maxed out in what Ohio State does on offense and how he was used. Might need some development but payoff could be huge.

Troy Fumagalli, Another day 2 prospect that could pay big dividends. Very nice skill set and used to playing in cold weather.

Fuma reminds me of Richard Rodgers, great hands and route running in college but maybe not enough speed to uncover in the NFL. I do like Sutton and Smith, Smith would finally shrink the center of the field and let us play more 2 deep looks without giving up the middle of the defense. Sutton is exactly what we could use in our offense with that kind of size speed and strength. He's the kind of receiver who will help Aaron get rid of the ball faster, support Aaron through the rest of his career and be around for the next guy. Campbell I like him but we need another boundary receiver to play opposite of Davante, Nelson should be a slot guy at this point in his career.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Troy Fumagalli is faster than he looks ;) He is also considered a very good route runner with great hands and a decent run blocker. As long as he is healthy, his 40 times at Pro Day and the combine are probably going to surprise a few people. His Football IQ will also help him.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think it would be crazy to take Tremaine Edmunds(VT) at 14. He's such a beast, can play inside and outside linebacker, has terrific instincts, and coverage ability. Now that he's declared he's one of my favorite prospects. He's easily in the first round right now and I could see him shooting up to top 15 after the combine.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you think it would be crazy to take Tremaine Edmunds(VT) at 14. He's such a beast, can play inside and outside linebacker, has terrific instincts, and coverage ability. Now that he's declared he's one of my favorite prospects. He's easily in the first round right now and I could see him shooting up to top 15 after the combine.

First I have ever heard of the guy, but Mel Kiper Jr. lists him as the No. 14 player on his big board, writing that he "has the most upside of any linebacker in this class." The 6-foot-5, 250-pound linebacker is considered among one of the more intriguing prospects at linebacker in this year's draft, as one of the youngest players available." hmmm....go figure #14

His brother Terrell declared early as well, he isn't as high of a prospect. Their older brother Trey is a RB for the Saints and their Father, Ferrell, was an All-Pro tight end who played seven years in the NFL for the Dolphins and Seahawks from 1988-94. Good family bloodline.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just depends who's there.

I think he's probably the best LB prospect after Roquan Smith. Plus he's only 20! In the past we haven't valued off ball backers that much, so I don't know if we would take him that high. I certainly think he's good enough to go there, but we have more of a need at Edge, CB, and WR imo.

In order for that situation to work, I think we'd have to address CB and WR in free agency, say we sign Brice Butler and Bashaud Breeland (shoutout to Dantes mah boy), draft Edmunds and the. Draft a guy like Hercules Ma'atafa, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (hard to spell, wow), Jeff Holland, Arden Key (he won't go 1st round), or Duke Ejiofor.

There's a guy from USC I've mentioned before that has another difficult name, he's kind of a poor mans Edmunds. Good player that could be had in the 2nd-3rd.

That was probably more than you were looking for, I go off in tangents come draft time.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think he's probably the best LB prospect after Roquan Smith. Plus he's only 20! In the past we haven't valued off ball backers that much, so I don't know if we would take him that high. I certainly think he's good enough to go there, but we have more of a need at Edge, CB, and WR imo.

I think this is going to be the hardest thing about this draft. We have no idea what the new management/MM/Pettine will do or value. We've rarely used a first round pick on an inside line backer, but maybe Pettine values them. Or maybe he'll value having at top 3 defensive line and go with someone like Vita Vea.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As myself, JJ and a few others have also alluded to, its really hard to start predicting draft picks until you see what the Packers do or don't do with their own players and than in Free Agency. Preferably, I would rather find the answers at position of immediate need in the FA market. Use the draft to start planning for the near future.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As myself, JJ and a few others have also alluded to, its really hard to start predicting draft picks until you see what the Packers do or don't do with their own players and than in Free Agency. Preferably, I would rather find the answers at position of immediate need in the FA market. Use the draft to start planning for the near future.

I agree, and also see what the draft is strong in and what the FA market looks like.

There really aren't any good Edge guys in FA, so address that brought the draft. We can sign a CB. Probably sign a WR. Then draft one or two at that position and develop who we have.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pettine’s defenses are multiple and traditionally use the ILB’s as blitzers/rushers with a lot of regularity. That could make a player like Edmunds a Prime fit.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine’s defenses are multiple and traditionally use the ILB’s as blitzers/rushers with a lot of regularity. That could make a player like Edmunds a Prime fit.

In regards to Edmunds, I think I'm going all in. Smith is better, but unlikely to be there at 14 and he's a full year older than Edmunds.

Edmunds is 6'5 250. You'd think he'd be on the edge at that size, but he is so fluid of an athlete that he excels inside. You don't realize he's 250 until he's hitting somebody. This kid is a true 3 down backer.

Edmunds seems to read plays well, but not always. When he does, he shoots gaps hard. Did well in spy coverage. RB's cannot go sideline vs him, which is a lot of fun to watch. Can get caught up in traffic and needs to use his hands better when it comes to disengaging blockers. Coverage skills are more potential than actual right now, but he's 20, that can be learned.

Bottom line, he's 6'5 250 with a true 3 down set, good athleticism, and good fundamentals. I'm very in on him with the #14 right now. He's better than Hasson Red****.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we need help outside and on the edge, but never underestimate how much better one player can make the rest of the defense look. An LB who can lock down his part of the field and occasionally punish quarterbacks means opposing quarterbacks have to hold the ball longer and would likely mean that safeties could be deployed to help our CBs instead of trying to shore up our weak defensive center. So yeah if we could find a Ryan Shazier it would markedly improve our coverage across the field and make our pass rush look better.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

In order for that situation to work, I think we'd have to address CB and WR in free agency, say we sign Brice Butler and Bashaud Breeland (shoutout to Dantes mah boy), draft Edmunds and the. Draft a guy like Hercules Ma'atafa, .

You keep bringing up Hercules. The guy played D-Line at 250 lbs in the "Soft 12". He is a nice little college football player but has zero tape of playing standing up off the ball in an entirely new position. He needed to stay in school another year. Plus his body type isn't popular with putting on more weight. He is a day 3 shot in the dark. Hardly anything to get excited about.

Pass.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In regards to Edmunds, I think I'm going all in. Smith is better, but unlikely to be there at 14 and he's a full year older than Edmunds.

Edmunds is 6'5 250. You'd think he'd be on the edge at that size, but he is so fluid of an athlete that he excels inside. You don't realize he's 250 until he's hitting somebody. This kid is a true 3 down backer.

Edmunds seems to read plays well, but not always. When he does, he shoots gaps hard. Did well in spy coverage. RB's cannot go sideline vs him, which is a lot of fun to watch. Can get caught up in traffic and needs to use his hands better when it comes to disengaging blockers. Coverage skills are more potential than actual right now, but he's 20, that can be learned.

Bottom line, he's 6'5 250 with a true 3 down set, good athleticism, and good fundamentals. I'm very in on him with the #14 right now. He's better than Hasson Red****.

I need to see a lot more, but one thing I’ve noticed right away is that when he tackles someone, they stop. No yards after contact. Very little falling forward. He’s a big man.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't be surprised by this pick. At 20, he still has a year or three of physical development and could be quite an impact player ala Clark.

Where would we play him? Inside or out? I like the flexibility and game planning options that kind of vesatility brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts