Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’d have taken Bruce over these other guys being mentioned. But I don’t want to convince someone that doesn’t want to be here to come
Surprised you didn't bring up Urban Bruce quitting the NFL ;)

I don't think Arians would have been a "bad" pick, but I think the Packers will find a better option. Like you said, he sealed the "No Deal" by saying he wouldn't want to be in Green Bay anyway. Which is something everyone needs to keep in mind here. As great as a job as some want to think being the next HC in Green Bay is, given the current situation, it might not be as attractive as it was once was, even as little as one year ago.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’d have taken Bruce over these other guys being mentioned. But I don’t want to convince someone that doesn’t want to be here to come

That's a bummer, but I have to agree.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calling thing is a good point. And he's only been in the OC position for this season.

But aside from that, I don't know what you're expecting to see. What specifically are we seeing in other coordinators, or past ones like Nagy and Pederson, that Bieniemy isn't showing. That seems too vague to be a substantive criticism.

I like him because he's been very successful with his position group, he's worked under a fantastic offensive mind who produces a lot of great head coaches, and he's been involved in the offense taking a huge leap in his first year as OC.
There’s no arguing that Reid has produced more successful HCs that BB. That’s a bit weird considering BB’s five Lombardi trophies, and none of his coordinators having much success outside of NE. I certainly wouldn’t rule out anyone who has spent time as a coordinator with Reid.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, I saw Jim Caldwell’s name mentioned in an article on Yahoo this morning as a possible candidate. My first reaction was “absolutely not!” Curious about what others here think about Caldwell. He was not on my radar. Still isn’t.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised you didn't bring up Urban Bruce quitting the NFL ;)

I don't think Arians would have been a "bad" pick, but I think the Packers will find a better option. Like you said, he sealed the "No Deal" by saying he wouldn't want to be in Green Bay anyway. Which is something everyone needs to keep in mind here. As great as a job as some want to think being the next HC in Green Bay is, given the current situation, it might not be as attractive as it was once was, even as little as one year ago.
I didn't bring up all the reasons I didn't want Urban Meyer because i don't care to get into them. I'm not sure he's the most committed person in the world as when thinks in the pipeline look tough, he'll walk away.

I think Arians is a guy that would give everything for a couple years, which is what we'd need him for. I also think he's a better coach and not successful because of playing with a different caliber of players compared to everyone else.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's a bummer that he's not interested, but you're right about this.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s no arguing that Reid has produced more successful HCs that BB. That’s a bit weird considering BB’s five Lombardi trophies, and none of his coordinators having much success outside of NE. I certainly wouldn’t rule out anyone who has spent time as a coordinator with Reid.

I think the issue with the BB "tree" is that BB doesn't really have a signature system like other coaches do. He's just an amazing coach that is unparalleled in matching schemes to personnel and taking advantage of opponents. I think the one guy who might have success away from him, McDaniels, was screwed because he insisted on being the GM also, which is he was just awful at.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more I think it over, the more that John Defilippo makes sense to me.

He comes off that same successful coaching tree. He was part of the braintrust in Philly that won a SB with Nick Foles. While the Minnesota offense hasn't been gang busters, he has maximized the only real talent on that offense (Cousins and the WR duo). He's well connected. He seems to be innovative, but he's experienced-- coaching at some level since 2000, 12 years of NFL level experience, 5 stops as a QB coach, and 2 as an offensive coordinator.

The fly in the ointment here is that neither stop as an OC has been all that impressive. His first in 2015 was in Cleveland, so that context is important. He coached Josh McCown to a 93+ QB Rating there, but overall the offense scored 17 points per game and no running back topped 4 yards per carry.

There was a lot of excited around his arrival with Cousins in Minnesota. However, the scoring offense has been virtually identical to what Shurmur and Keenum produced. However, it should be pointed out that Shurmur was good enough to get a HC gig in his own right, and Keenum had a career year. So matching that production, rather than exceeding it, isn't shameful.

Those are legitimate negatives, but they don't terribly concern me personally. I obviously have my own bias, but as objectively as I can look at it, I don't think that Minny offense has much talent. The top 2 WR's are fantastic, and Cousins is a good QB. But Rudolph isn't a dynamic pass catcher, the OL is bad, and I really don't like Dalvin Cook-- I legitimately think he's bad.

I think the best course would be to hire Defilippo, keep Pettine, and see if Flip can get Zac and Press Taylor out of LA and Philly respectively to be his main lieutenants on offense.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord, Arians would have been the last guy I would have wanted the Packers to hire as their head coach. So much younger and more talented options out there. Arians? YIKES.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Eric Bienemy is starting to speak to me.

Smart, capable, great coaching tree, passionate.

He's been an OC before, but he doesn't have to call plays for us. In fact, I'd prefer he didn't. He and an OC can develop an offense together. Hire a guy like Zac Taylor to be the OC, keep Pettine, focus on the run and PA game for Rodgers.

In the same breath, I also would say yes to Dave Toub. I think he could be another John Harbaugh. I really like ST guys that become HC's. And maybe bring over a new training staff while we're at it. Our injury issue is starting to become so common it can't be a fluke deal anymore.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be glad when this is over, and the Packers name their new head coach.
I just don't want to get excited about the possibilities of different candidates, only to have them fall through.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, you all can thank me later. I've got it.

HC: Dave Toub
OC: Jedd Fisch
DC: Mike Pettine
OL: James Campen
WR: David Rain

The rest can be whatever the respective coaches want.

Jedd Fisch is fairly brilliant, and he's been working with Sean McVay this year. Think he would be an excellent choice as an OC.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Toub? This is his first season as Kansas City's assistant head coach. He served five seasons (2013-17) as the club's special teams coordinator. No thanks will be coming your way. He's basically a special teams coordinator. That would be a terrible hire. I don't think Murphy is that stupid.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, you all can thank me later. I've got it.

HC: Dave Toub
OC: Jedd Fisch
DC: Mike Pettine
OL: James Campen
WR: David Rain

The rest can be whatever the respective coaches want.

Jedd Fisch is fairly brilliant, and he's been working with Sean McVay this year. Think he would be an excellent choice as an OC.
I don't get why Campen gets a pass. He can't teach a guy to block. And an average player never gets better...only worse.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Toub? This is his first season as Kansas City's assistant head coach. He served five seasons (2013-17) as the club's special teams coordinator. No thanks will be coming your way. He's basically a special teams coordinator. That would be a terrible hire. I don't think Murphy is that stupid.

Yes, Dave Toub. ST coaches often make good HC's.

You know who he is very similar to? John Harbaugh. A guy who was also just a ST coach. He must've also been a terrible hire.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Finally someone who hits the disagree button and actually explains why they disagree. Kudos.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get why Campen gets a pass. He can't teach a guy to block. And an average player never gets better...only worse.

With Campen, the first point always is to look at how the OL players came to the team and then explain the performance and ranking of that line.

The bold, I can't even debate - it makes no sense (to me) whatsoever.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Campen, the first point always is to look at how the OL players came to the team and then explain the performance and ranking of that line.

Agree. Campen has made Champagne out of beer with mostly mid round picks to UDFA's. Campen is about the only offensive coach I would like to see retained.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My attitude is that he has not been able to make a cohesive run blocking line. It has been so long that I have had confidence in our ability to run. There are just zero holes much more often than there is one. And pushing for one or two yards has not been good. Our linemen getting to the 2nd level is almost non existant. We have had some good pass protection but a lot of that has to do with AR's ability to escape. imho I guess I don't understand why he would be considered a good coach. And as for Baktiari...I believe he just happened to be ready from the get go. He did not appear to need much coaching. We were lucky with him although he never really took the next step to run block. I think that is because of lack of coaching.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Campen has made Champagne out of beer with mostly mid round picks to UDFA's. Campen is about the only offensive coach I would like to see retained.
I would rather have a good beer than cheap champagne. I just think we lack that blue collar toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts