Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
just watched.... he certainly said all the right things. It was also interesting that he mentioned that his parents were in town for his birthday.... Makes me think that perhaps we should stop paying much attention to all the gossip regarding his family etc...
I wonder if he forgot to invite his brother Jordan to the festivities? :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No freaking way. He walked away once because of the stress and affect on health and I’m sure it’s the reason this time too. It’s affected how he coaches and acts. Going to the NFL isn’t going to make it better.
I would be fine with getting the 7 seasons he had in Columbus out of him (82-9) as the Packers HC. Yup, very stressful job and I doubt he is back anytime soon with what he is going through right now with his brain issues.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I watched the whole press conference when it streamed live at Packers.com, and frankly Murphy looked very uncomfortable having to answer that question.
Murphy looked a bit uncomfortable during the whole press conference, but he doesn't seem like that great of a public speaker. Gute on the other hand was the polished one. Let's hope these 2 can keep a solid relationship, because based how intertwined their football decisions seem to be, if they don't get along, it could get bumpy in Green Bay.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy looked a bit uncomfortable during the whole press conference, but he doesn't seem like that great of a public speaker. Gute on the other hand was the polished one. Let's hope these 2 can keep a solid relationship, because based how intertwined their football decisions seem to be, if they don't get along, it could get bumpy in Green Bay.
I was a bit amused at the way reporters were hounding Murphy about the structure regarding who reports to whom. Personally I don’t care at all about the structure per say... the current structure essentially means that Murphy is the de facto GM and Gutenkunst handles player acquisition while the coach handles the coaching. The real question boils down to “is Murphy a good GM” That has nothing to do with structure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was a bit amused at the way reporters were hounding Murphy about the structure regarding who reports to whom. Personally I don’t care at all about the structure per say... the current structure essentially means that Murphy is the de facto GM and Gutenkunst handles player acquisition while the coach handles the coaching. The real question boils down to “is Murphy a good GM” That has nothing to do with structure.

Agreed, that was an interesting "game of chess" between the media, Murphy and Gute. But we all know the media and some fans just think its their right to know exactly how things are done, who, when, why, how, etc. I'm with you and it goes along with what both Murphy and Gute said over and over, it really doesn't matter to me which of the 2 is tagged for making a Football decision, because it appears they make many of them together and as long as those decisions are successful, who cares who gets credit. Murphy appears to have a good handle on the business end of the Packers and Gute has impressed me on the Football side, so carry on.

All that said, if the Packers aren't successful under these 2, they both may eventually fall together.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, that was an interesting "game of chess" between the media, Murphy and Gute. But we all know the media and some fans just think its their right to know exactly how things are done, who, when, why, how, etc. I'm with you and it goes along with what both Murphy and Gute said over and over, it really doesn't matter to me which of the 2 is tagged for making a Football decision, because it appears they make many of them together and as long as those decisions are successful, who cares who gets credit. Murphy appears to have a good handle on the business end of the Packers and Gute has impressed me on the Football side, so carry on.

All that said, if the Packers aren't successful under these 2, they both may eventually fall together.
It seems to me that Murphy saw that things were going sideways in the last few years of Ted and realized that changes neeeded to be made so... he decided to get a new GM ... and he picked himself. It remains to be seen if that was a good hire or not.

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hhhmmmm ...funny....urban meyer is retiring. Maybe just from college football you think?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even a Badger fan like myself has appreciated just how great of a coach Urban has been. Some may not like him, but I would take him as a HC any day. Problem is, unless he has changed his mind, he has no interest in the NFL.

Also the reason he's retiring is because he has life-threatening health conditions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also the reason he's retiring is because he has life-threatening health conditions.
Not sure where you heard or read that, but from what I have read, his condition is not life threatening. He has an arachnoid cyst, which is a benign cyst on the membrane tissue that covers the brain. It often causes him to have severe migraines, and he had a surgical procedure 4 years ago to drain it, but it is something he has had for quite some time and isn't life threatening.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Please Dear God...…...Just what we need is a @sshole coach running up and down the sidelines
howling like a 2 yr. old kid throwing around his headphones
His 49ers knocked us out of the playoffs twice. It was a happy day for me when they fired him, I think they made a big mistake.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where you heard or read that, but from what I have read, his condition is not life threatening. He has an arachnoid cyst, which is a benign cyst on the membrane tissue that covers the brain. It often causes him to have severe migraines, and he had a surgical procedure 4 years ago to drain it, but it is something he has had for quite some time and isn't life threatening.

It's still very significant and I suspect he's retiring for real this time, not ala Florida.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's still very significant and I suspect he's retiring for real this time, not ala Florida.

I listened to a pretty good piece on it while driving today. The headaches and cyst are not anything that new to Meyer, he has been dealing with them for a long time. However, the last few years the headaches have been taking their toll on him and he couldn't give the job his all every day. Also sited was the fact that Urban really likes soon to be new HC Ryan Day and sees himself leaving a program that he is very passionate about in great shape and in good hands.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No freaking way. He walked away once because of the stress and affect on health and I’m sure it’s the reason this time too. It’s affected how he coaches and acts. Going to the NFL isn’t going to make it better.

He walked away because he had to. Health reasons are an excuse, just like they were at Florida.

And pass on Meyer. He's a POS.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't seen a thread on prospective coaches, but that's not what I'm doing here. I'm wanting to discuss names names that nobody has heard of yet/considered yet for the next coach, and I think I have a good one, IF he'll leave.

Mike Gundy head coach Oklahoma State

Now I know most will say 'we don't need a 6-6 college coach' and I'm with ya. Let me tell you why he's a good fit.

He runs almost the same exact offense Aaron has been in since year 2 of his career. If you want a coach to come in and you don't have to retrain Rodgers Gundy is a great fit. Gundy's offense is why when the draft threads were out in the spring I was pushing for the Pack to draft Mason Rudollph.

Yes he's a big older than most first time NFL coaches at 52. Yes he may not leave Stillwater.

He also played QB in college, so he can see things through Aaron's eyes at McCarthy couldn't. Also his running back when he was QB at Oklahoma State was Barry Sanders, so you have to believe he would understand how to develop a running back, as he at least watched it happen in college.

Thoughts? Other names? And please guys no suggesting Pee Wee Herman or anything completely off the wall. Some of you may hate the guy I mentioned and some may hate the guy you mention. Let's just see what everyone is thinking here on dark horses or names nobody has come up with yet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with getting the 7 seasons he had in Columbus out of him (82-9) as the Packers HC. Yup, very stressful job and I doubt he is back anytime soon with what he is going through right now with his brain issues.
The talent discrepancy between OH state and almost every other school in the big 10 is pretty big. There is very little recruiting advantage in the NFL and I don't think he'd be as successful with out. Either way, i don't want him.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is does he actually call and design plays, or is he just an Edgar Bennett OC in name only? That's the thing when you got HCs like Koetter who build and design offenses, they can give assistants titles that aren't meaningful. Same thing going on in New Orleans. There's an offensive coordinator there named Pete Carmichael, but I'm pretty sure he's just there in name only and the show is run by Payton.

This is what I fear about Eric Bieniemy with the Chiefs. Everyone knows that’s Reid’s offense.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Murphy appointed Philbin interim head coach figuring he was incompetent enough to lead the team to 4 straight defeats and improve the Packer draft picks.

Haha if that was the case, he shoulda went with Winston Moss or Joe Whitt jr

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of what i'm feeling thru all this. This goes deeper than the coach and why i asked if this all would have been different had the extension not been offered and signed yet. This team is teetering. Greatness or straight to the depths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts