Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My top choice would be Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern. But I don't see any way he leaves there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My attitude is that he has not been able to make a cohesive run blocking line. It has been so long that I have had confidence in our ability to run. There are just zero holes much more often than there is one. And pushing for one or two yards has not been good. Our linemen getting to the 2nd level is almost non existant. We have had some good pass protection but a lot of that has to do with AR's ability to escape. imho I guess I don't understand why he would be considered a good coach. And as for Baktiari...I believe he just happened to be ready from the get go. He did not appear to need much coaching. We were lucky with him although he never really took the next step to run block. I think that is because of lack of coaching.

??

This is an awful take.

Aaron Jones is averaging 5.7 yards per carry this year and has run through some really big holes.

David Bakhtiari was average at best his first two seasons, and now he's the best pass protecting OT in the game.

Rodgers makes life harder on his pass pro, not easier. He holds the ball longer than most QB's, require his linemen to hold their blocks longer.

Josh Sitton: 4th round pick > 4X Pro Bowl, 3X All Pro OG
T.J. Lang: 4th round pick > 2 X Pro Bowl OG
Bryan Bulaga: 1st round pick > one of the best RT's in the game
David Bakhtiari: 4th round pick > THE best pass protecting LT's in the game (1X Pro Bowl, 2X All Pro)
J.C. Tretter: 4th round pick > strong starting OC
Corey Linsley: 5th round pick > strong starting OC
Lane Taylor: UDFA > strong starting guard

You find me any other OL coach who has done anything like this with mid round draft picks. Or did all of these guys not "need much coaching?"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pete Carmichael's name has come up in some articles, but hasn't received much attention from fans. He has been with the Saints since 2006. QB coach for 3 years, Passing Game Coordinator for 2 years, and OC for the last 10 years.

My understanding is that Carmichael and Payton have both called plays at various times during his tenure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It seems like the WR coach, Raih (?), is doing a good job.
I don't know much about Raih and what he has done in his first year as WR coach. Seems that both MVS and EQ are doing decent for late round picks, Moore, the book is still out on and I hope he gets some opportunities these last 4 weeks. If Murphy and Gute think he is doing a solid job, obviously it would be nice to keep the guy. But as many are pointing out, bringing in a new HC may cost a lot of guys their jobs, not because they suck, but because the new HC wants to have his "own guys". Would be interesting to know how much leeway Murphy/Gute will give a new HC to make those decisions, I would hope quite a bit.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know much about Raih and what he has done in his first year as WR coach. Seems that both MVS and EQ are doing decent for late round picks, Moore, the book is still out on and I hope he gets some opportunities these last 4 weeks. If Murphy and Gute think he is doing a solid job, obviously it would be nice to keep the guy. But as many are pointing out, bringing in a new HC may cost a lot of guys their jobs, not because they suck, but because the new HC wants to have his "own guys". Would be interesting to know how much leeway Murphy/Gute will give a new HC to make those decisions, I would hope quite a bit.

For sure. I would expect that a new HC will want to bring in his own guys, and rightfully so. And I'm completely good with that. Really, the only guy I would be unhappy if they didn't keep would be James Campen (and yes, that includes Joe Whitt). I think Campen is a must-stay.

I was more just saying I think Raih has done a good job and wouldn't mind at all if they brought him back. Overall I'm pretty ambivalent about it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm also starting to lean this way.

So just to keep track-- Dave Toub, 18 years NFL experience and 15 as a coordinator in the league's most productive active coaching trees, is "terrible" and "stupid." However, we should hire Pat Fitzgerald, who has never coached above the Big 10 level.

Reaction score
Last I checked, he has a job.

With a team that is leading it's division and has won 4 straight.

Probably not going to be available.

Ur right. And that is what happens when you sign free agents. You get better. Who knew? Couldn't pass downfield? No problem. They just grab Cooper like it was nothing. Fixed that problem. Now they are in 1st.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Did we already reject/shun Jim Harbaugh?

Some like him, others don't. He seems unstable to me.

His brother is my #1 choice with a bullet if Baltimore should miss the playoffs and let him go, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I'm hoping they hire Jim Harbaugh. In fact, he tops my wishlist. He employs a big O-Line and power rushing attack (for some reason the zone scheme just never was super successful in GB, save the one or two yrs. with Lacy). Always has a hard-nosed defense. I believe those two qualities work best for a cold-weather team like the Packers. Worked for Lombardi and Holmgren (he was pass first, but, did use pulls and sweeps and screens with a very strong defense).

If not for that power outage, Jim Harbaugh likely would have won a Super Bowl with SF. What more do you people want?

If not Jim Harbaugh, in order:

2 - Josh McDaniels
3 - John Harbaugh
4 - Nick Saban
5 - Lincoln Riley

Reaction score
Some like him, others don't. He seems unstable to me.

His brother is my #1 choice with a bullet if Baltimore should miss the playoffs and let him go, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Yeah John I like better just cause he doesnt annoy me as much. Do you think though someone like Jim would be probably the only one who could real Rodgers in a bit? Likely all this Rodgers talk has been overblown, however there definitely is something up with Rodgers that is rubbing fans the wrong way. Jim seems like he wouldnt put up with any, antics, we will call it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah John I like better just cause he doesnt annoy me as much. Do you think though someone like Jim would be probably the only one who could real Rodgers in a bit? Likely all this Rodgers talk has been overblown, however there definitely is something up with Rodgers that is rubbing fans the wrong way. Jim seems like he wouldnt put up with any, antics, we will call it.

Who can say? One person could make the case that a guy like Harbaugh is exactly what Rodgers needs to be tempered, while someone else could argue that a personality like Harbaugh's would completely clash with Rodgers and create a locker room rift. It's all conjecture either way.

I'm not passionately opposed to him. I understand the credentials. He a great coach. But he's not one of the guys I really want. He just makes me nervous.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who can say? One person could make the case that a guy like Harbaugh is exactly what Rodgers needs to be tempered, while someone else could argue that a personality like Harbaugh's would completely clash with Rodgers and create a locker room rift. It's all conjecture either way.

I'm not passionately opposed to him. I understand the credentials. He a great coach. But he's not one of the guys I really want. He just makes me nervous.

I know they probably won't and shouldn't have to, but I do wonder if Gute and Murphy secretly want Aaron to slide them a list of HC's and OC's he would be excited to work with.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So just to keep track-- Dave Toub, 18 years NFL experience and 15 as a coordinator in the league's most productive active coaching trees, is "terrible" and "stupid." However, we should hire Pat Fitzgerald, who has never coached above the Big 10 level.

Yes it would be idiotic. 18 years experience and he ends up a special teams coach. Wow. That should tell you something. Oh, and Fitz and Murphy know each other very well. He has an in with Murphy, the special teams coach (with 18 years of experience) does not.

Now what in Toub's bio do you see that would make him a good head coach?

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/dave-toub

Last edited:
Reaction score

A lot makes me nervous these days lol but yeah good points

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes it would be idiotic. 18 years experience and he ends up a special teams coach. Wow. That should tell you something. Oh, and Fitz and Murphy know each other very well. He has an in with Murphy, the special teams coach (with 18 years of experience) does not.

18 years of excellence in his role on a great coaching tree. I already said that.

John Harbaugh was also an Andy Reid ST Coordinator. Simply pointing that out means nothing.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just listened to Mark Murphy’s interview on WTMJ about the Firing and their current coaching search. Something that stood out to me that I think will disappoint many in here is when he said “they won’t be looking for someone with a huge ego” They will be looking for someone that will be putting the team ahead of themselves. I think that will eliminate several of the big names I’ve seen thrown around in here. I also think it is the right direction to go.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you think John Harbaugh is a bad coach? He was a ST's coach for 19 years (college and NFL) before becoming a HC.

Bill Belichick started out as a ST's coach. **** Vermeil's first NFL job was as a ST's coach. Mike Ditka started out as a TE/ ST's coach in the NFL. It's the only coaching job where you have to coach the entirety of the roster, not just one position, not just one side of the field. Oh...and Pat Fitzgerald? His first coaching job was as a LB/ST's coach.

I would argue that ST's prepares a coach more for being a HC than almost any other coaching position, but it's not the ****, name brand position that owners and fans like to hear about.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just listened to Mark Murphy’s interview on WTMJ about the Firing and their current coaching search. Something that stood out to me that I think will disappoint many in here is when he said “they won’t be looking for someone with a huge ego” They will be looking for someone that will be putting the team ahead of themselves. I think that will eliminate several of the big names I’ve seen thrown around in here. I also think it is the right direction to go.

Interesting for him to say that, almost seems like they have a candidate in mind. Because if they didn't, like you said, he just eliminated quite a few coaches from anyone they would consider. Of course, that depends on his interpretation of "huge ego".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you just post something from married biography? who knew such a site existed LOL
anyway, I don't know how many years he was a ST coach. He was at Philly as their ST coach for 9 years, and he did say in College and the NFL. He started his college coaching career in the late 80's and I know he was a ST coach at at least one of his college coaching stops, but i don't know for how many years.

It probably doesn't matter, with the point being, head coaches come from somewhere and just because they were a ST coach for a lot of those years doesn't preclude them from knowing how to build and coach a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts